Rio 2016

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Rio 2016

Post by Dr Zaius »

bonehead wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:These Olympics need more Roy and HG. Where are they?
Super radio network nsw doing 1hr slots every arvo
Needs to be on TV!
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

greeneyed wrote:Silver... Meh. Where's Woodgers on a weekend?
I was on my footy end of season celebrations. If I don't see another beer in the next 3 weeks it will still be too soon. Wowee.

As for the Olympics....it's not great. Kind of expected though.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

You made the correct call to stay away tonight, mate. I was red hot and ready to give you a right bollocking for this olympics disaster!
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Pigman wrote:You made the correct call to stay away tonight, mate. I was red hot and ready to give you a right bollocking for this olympics disaster!
You don't know how gutted I was to miss last night's game. I've only missed that one and the Sharks game all year so it would have been the pick of the games to go to all season. Not much I could do though, the Mrs was not well at all.

Anyhow I would have been ready for your rant and had a host of political one liners ready to deflect the scenario :D .
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Haha. I must admit it took the shine off a bit not seeing your smiley, goofy face at the game

Weather and illness permitting we are taking the whole fam out to the game on Sunday so hopefully see you then
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Yeah i'm definitely taking the kids out on Sunday too, not sure about the Mrs. People were talking about Grand Final tickets last night and i'm debating whether I take Adam who is now 7 if we make it. He still doesn't really watch the game but I wonder if it's something that we should do together because these days are few and far between. I probably will, his old man could die in the following week :lol: .
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hahah. I've lined the in laws up for a potential GF. But I'm not thinking of it beyond that, it will just hurt me more later haha
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote:
bonehead wrote:
Needs to be on TV!
If thats the best spot for it. You can put your radio wherever you like really.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Pigman wrote:Hahah. I've lined the in laws up for a potential GF. But I'm not thinking of it beyond that, it will just hurt me more later haha
Potential Gut Full?
Edrick The Entertainer
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Northern Raider wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
bonehead wrote:
Needs to be on TV!
If thats the best spot for it. You can put your radio wherever you like really.
They could have a TV show with footage of a radio broadcasting it. There's enough digital channels around to make it happen.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Opals, ranked 2nd in the world, leave the games empty handed for the first time since 1988
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Both hockey and waterpolo teams bundled out at quarters finals as well.

Oh well that's 5 teams who reached that goal of finishing (equal) 5th so all is good!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Haha **** this has been a horrendous performance
I've really enjoyed pretending to be absolutely outraged by these failing athletes but all jokes aside, the Aus government must be wondering if it's worth the money they pump into this stuff
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

All Australian athletes that went to Rio, even the ones who won gold, should be taken outside and publicly flogged.

ESPECIALLY the ones who won gold!!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote:All Australian athletes that went to Rio, even the ones who won gold, should be taken outside and publicly flogged.

ESPECIALLY the ones who won gold!!
Really hard to argue against this
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Maybe for Tokyo we can just not go to the Olympics and set a large pule of money on fire?

Same result..
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

They could have a torch relay leading up to the big pile of money
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The only time huge piles of money catch on fire is when meth labs explode.

Instead, we could buy an extra strike fighter from the US (that doesn't work). Sounds like value to me!
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

These so called athletes are making all of us look like a nation of chokers .. not happy Jan !!

I blame junior sports programmes. Bring back the biff between parents as they abuse the under performing kids from the sidelines !!

We need our kids to know that bronze is just not good enough !!
I don't post facts
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

I've discovered the real problem:

John Clarke: I don’t think that presents a major problem. If the gold medals aren’t gold, we shouldn’t call them gold. Call them the yellow medal.
Gina Riley: It doesn’t quite have the same ring to it, does it? "Triple yellow medallist Dawn Fraser."
John Clarke: Well, no, it lacks mystique. And I can’t imagine that the winner of the grey medal and the winner of the brown medal will be all that disappointed that they didn’t get up for the yellow.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Tim Burton won gold in the sailing, total now at 7 gold
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Another athlete who's allowed on the plane trip home.

The rest...meh.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Michelle Jenneke finishes 6th in a heat, misses out on Semi Finals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

-PJ- wrote:Another athlete who's allowed on the plane trip home.

The rest...meh.
Perhaps he can lend his 10ft sailboat to the Aussie swimming team to sail home on. That would be some decent team bonding instead of Stilinox and Redbull. They will have to contend with wild seas, Somali pirates and sharks. They would have to make sure they don't capsize because we all know they can't swim for ****.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Mr and Mrs Starcs son (not Mitchell) Brandon is out of the high jump.

And spearchucker Kim Mickle has just dislocated her shoulder on her 3rd throw and hasn't progressed. She's in pain, can someone in Brasil please help her ? Where's the first aid in this stadium ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Manchild wrote:
-PJ- wrote:Another athlete who's allowed on the plane trip home.

The rest...meh.
Perhaps he can lend his 10ft sailboat to the Aussie swimming team to sail home on. That would be some decent team bonding instead of Stilinox and Redbull. They will have to contend with wild seas, Somali pirates and sharks. They would have to make sure they don't capsize because we all know they can't swim for ****.
Magnussen's ego wouldn't fit on the QE II.
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

-PJ- wrote:Mr and Mrs Starcs son (not Mitchell) Brandon is out of the high jump.
Set the bar too high
I don't post facts
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

Pigman wrote:Haha **** this has been a horrendous performance
I've really enjoyed pretending to be absolutely outraged by these failing athletes but all jokes aside, the Aus government must be wondering if it's worth the money they pump into this stuff
I guess it depends what you measuring stick is for the money. In 2015-16 the Sports Commission gave $87m to National Sporting Organisations for high performance initiatives. $3.5m of that was for Winter sports so deduct that. Some people will read that and think that's a lot of money, it's actually a drop in the ocean on what the competition spends on sports. Australia no longer has the best coaches, or the best Institute, or even athletes that can just concentrate on their sport without supplementing their incomes - kind of big deal when you're competing against people that don't have to work a part-time job.

Compared to other countries, sport in Australia (if you care about sport this is) is badly underfunded. Other countries have mechanisms to help supplement the funding like sports lotteries, which constitutionally can't happen here. With such a small bucket of money to work with, the age old question about doing well at the Olympics / high performance vs participation initiatives to get more of the population active will arise again. Depending who you talk to you get differing opinions on that as well.

Anyway at the end of the day you're going to hear all these arguments post Rio. John Coates head of the AOC will complain about the funding and so will other people. Winning Edge will be pelted and there will be a whole stack of independent reviews.

And round and round we go.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Just out of interest how does that funding today compare to 2000 when we pumped heaps into our home Olympics?

Drastically less? Much the same?
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Haven't our swimmer picked up something like 1 individual gold in the last 2 Olympics?
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde

Post by Woodgers »

I'll have to try find the answer to that tomorrow but just the monetary comparison wouldn't give the answer IMO. There will be variables there like difference in the value of the money over almost 20 years, whether money went direct to athletes and not through the sports, and even how many athletes were getting diluted/included into the Olympic sports pool in the years leading up to it. What I mean by that last point is in the year 2000 and the 5 years prior, you had less professional teams in the country with their academies luring athletes whether that be more AFL teams like GWS and Gold Coast, an A League competition with 9 Australian teams and all their youth squads, 4 Super Rugby teams and their youth squads etc.

I think the hard thing to measure will be things such as the impact of AIS, back in that period from Atlanta to Sydney that place was still a hive of activity and we were advanced in that sports science field as well, since then very little has been put into the facilities, sports science and we lost a lot of our best coaches to the paying nations, so measuring that would be really difficult. Then there is the impact of what other countries have done too, we've been pipped by GB a fair bit in these games so far, before London and their massive spend that wasn't really happening so the impact of what other countries have done since 2000 would impact our results also.

What i'm saying is that i'll try get back to you with the answer to that question just out of interest, but even if it turns out less money was spent in the cycle leading up to Sydney, it's probably an unfair measuring stick all over.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i was thinking about those factors
Like the same money today would represent a significantly higher investment 20-30 years ago

Sydney and Athens were our best games and that's usually the case because the funding hang over sticks around for the following Olympics
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Put me down for spending on participation over performance. I'd rather see a drive to large portions of the population benefitting from more sport, than 5 people win gold medals.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I want more Gold medals.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

gangrenous wrote:Put me down for spending on participation over performance. I'd rather see a drive to large portions of the population benefitting from more sport, than 5 people win gold medals.
I wonder if we've become a bit airy fairy these days with our athletes. I noticed quite a bit at these Olympics our athletes trotting out both before and after performances that they're just pleased to be participating. I note Andrew Bogut had a completely different response when asked about the loss to the U.S - he was filthy. He wasn't over the top or unprofessional, but he essentially said that the players are not here to make up the numbers; they are here to win.

For me, I would like to see a bit more of this across the board of athletes.