Canberra Raiders offer halfback Sam Williams a new deal

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Raiders have offered halfback Sam Williams a new contract but the Cooma junior is weighing up his future in the capital and rival contracts in the NRL and Super League.

"We've made an offer to Sam, and it's there on the table for him to consider. Again, he's looking at a couple of others (offers), but he knows it's on the table," Raiders recruitment manager Peter Mulholland said.

"If I was playing consistent first grade it'll probably be an easy decision but at the moment I've just got to weigh up where my future lies going forward...I love being at the club so that's one of the things I have to weigh up," Sam Williams said.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... qkbfi.html
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders offer halfback Sam Williams a new deal

Post by Botman »

Would be great if he hangs around, he's a really good back up half.
But if he's got offers where he could potentially start in the NRL, he'd be mad not to take it. He'd be a star in the ESL too
DJ89
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by DJ89 »

I bet the Dragons regret letting him go. He'd be an upgrade at a fair few clubs.

But with Aidan Sezer, Austin, Croker and Turner coming to the club he might have better opportunity to start at another club.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

I really really rate Sammy. Would love him to stay, but there's no way I'll hold it against him if he goes elsewhere. I hope he kills it if he does sign with another team.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

He'd be the best back up in the league I reckon.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

He just needs to be sure he can get a NRL gig at other clubs. A lot of blokes in his position go elsewhere and get dumped for someone else early in the season.
Supershamrock
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: J Toots

Post by Supershamrock »

@RB and @DJ agree completely with both posts! Genuinely want him to stay or do well starting with another team.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

There's plenty of clubs where he should be a walk up start and if clubs are targeting him for that they should also be offering starting half coin. We shouldn't be able to compete with that.

Love having him at their but if he gets offered more elsewhere with a better chance at firsts then I wish him all he best.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

DJ89 wrote:I bet the Dragons regret letting him go. He'd be an upgrade at a fair few clubs.

But with Aidan Sezer, Austin, Croker and Turner coming to the club he might have better opportunity to start at another club.
I wouldn't count on Croker, he out for a year with an ACL. Not sure about Turner either really.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:
DJ89 wrote:I bet the Dragons regret letting him go. He'd be an upgrade at a fair few clubs.

I wouldn't count on Croker, he out for a year with an ACL. Not sure about Turner either really.
There's no way Williams is behind either Turner or L Croker if one of our starting halves go down.

It will simply come down to the $ on offer, I doubt he'll be here next year.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
The_Green_Hope
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by The_Green_Hope »

If I was the Eels I'd be looking very closely at him. He would be a good fit for what Arthur seems to want to build there.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

Jason wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

There's no way Williams is behind either Turner or L Croker if one of our starting halves go down.

It will simply come down to the $ on offer, I doubt he'll be here next year.
Operative word being if. Williams doesn't want to wait around only getting a chance when our starting halves gets injured.

I had him ahead of those two as well.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

Was interesting sitting with sammy at the dinner and having this conversation, if the raiders had their own NSW cup team, he'd already be signed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I hope the guy stays. Such a legend and seems like a genuine nice guy.

Amazing to have him as a back up. If there is two spots you are prepared to splash cash on a back up its halves and hooker. I'm hoping we have made a solid offer.

IronRaiden
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Kennedy

Post by IronRaiden »

We'd probably only be able to afford a handshake and one piece of toast.
Children are the greatest advertisement for birth control.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

IronRaiden wrote:We'd probably only be able to afford a handshake and one piece of toast.
Buttered?
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Raider Bell wrote:
IronRaiden wrote:We'd probably only be able to afford a handshake and one piece of toast.
Buttered?
hes not a starting half mate
Dont delete this GE
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher

Post by Raider Bell »

simo wrote:
Raider Bell wrote:
Buttered?
hes not a starting half mate
Great bloke, though. Surely we make an exception for him?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Unfortunately Sammy's far too good to be stuck in permanently in reserve grade - he's been a class above anytime he's played there. I don't think anyone would begrudge him the opportunity of moving for a spot in a first team.

That being said, I think given the nature of the game today, it's imperative now more than ever to have a quality backup in your halves. I feel uneasy at the prospect of losing a start half (or both) to a potential long term injury without anyone capable enough in reserve, thus possibly screwing up a seasons worth of plans. Sezer doesn't have a great injury record from memory and Austin's obviously had a few in recent times, with his game heavily reliant on lateral movement. No Williams and no one else being signed up as a direct replacement will leave us quite exposed IMO, as the rest aren't currently good enough for me. He also adds a different dimension to the squad as a ball player, seeing as we have two halves that are primarily runners (Austin and L Croker) and one that's primarily an organiser and kicker (Sezer).

The only way I reckon we'd be in with a shot given he doesn't have first dibs on halfback is to pay overs, which I feel is necessary and something we should be doing (and hope we are given the importance) if we want to retain any back up half of decent quality.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

CJ42 wrote:Was interesting sitting with sammy at the dinner and having this conversation, if the raiders had their own NSW cup team, he'd already be signed up.

Just another reason we should stump up the cash for one.
CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 »

edwahu wrote:
CJ42 wrote:Was interesting sitting with sammy at the dinner and having this conversation, if the raiders had their own NSW cup team, he'd already be signed up.

Just another reason we should stump up the cash for one.
That's it, he said he likes playing for Mounties but if he was putting on the green jersey every week he'd love it.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I don't think Sam Williams is going to be in demand as much as we might think
I reckon there is a good chance we'll be able to keep him at an affordable price for a back up half
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I'd say his best offers would be from Superleague.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Pigman wrote:I don't think Sam Williams is going to be in demand as much as we might think
I reckon there is a good chance we'll be able to keep him at an affordable price for a back up half
Totally agree.

edwahu wrote:I'd say his best offers would be from Superleague.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
El_Capitano
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by El_Capitano »

Since when do we "announce" that we offered someone a contract?

How soon IS now?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

El_Capitano wrote:Since when do we "announce" that we offered someone a contract?

Probably when the journo asks them.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

afgtnk wrote:Unfortunately Sammy's far too good to be stuck in permanently in reserve grade - he's been a class above anytime he's played there. I don't think anyone would begrudge him the opportunity of moving for a spot in a first team.

That being said, I think given the nature of the game today, it's imperative now more than ever to have a quality backup in your halves. I feel uneasy at the prospect of losing a start half (or both) to a potential long term injury without anyone capable enough in reserve, thus possibly screwing up a seasons worth of plans. Sezer doesn't have a great injury record from memory and Austin's obviously had a few in recent times, with his game heavily reliant on lateral movement. No Williams and no one else being signed up as a direct replacement will leave us quite exposed IMO, as the rest aren't currently good enough for me. He also adds a different dimension to the squad as a ball player, seeing as we have two halves that are primarily runners (Austin and L Croker) and one that's primarily an organiser and kicker (Sezer).

The only way I reckon we'd be in with a shot given he doesn't have first dibs on halfback is to pay overs, which I feel is necessary and something we should be doing (and hope we are given the importance) if we want to retain any back up half of decent quality.
I don't want to pay overs if it's money that could be spent on Baptiste or Bateman and means we lose either of them
Sammy is 3rd priority re-signing
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Also, if the club already had Croker on contract and has this English fella who can play in the halves a bit, and Whitehead who acquitted himself reasonably in the halves, if we keep Baptiste, that opens the door up for Hodgson play in the halves if we need it... That's a fair amount of depth and it's hard to justify paying overs to keep him given that

I don't expect the club will move much beyond their initial offer. If he is happy to sign that, perfect. If he's got a better one, they'll take their chances with young Croker and the pommy boys
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

None of those players inspire any confidence tbh. Usually we can cover with a good lower grade half coming through, but at the moment I don't think one exists. If it's Croker, then we'll struggle from what I've seen of him. Both Whitehead and Turner are not much more than 1-2 game stop gap solutions, and I wouldn't exactly want a guy who's one of the best in his position moving in Hodgson.

Even if Williams were to leave, I'd still want a capable, NRL ready half signed, even if he was of a bit lesser ability.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Most of the time when these sort of stories come out it pretty much confirms that there's a done deal on the way. This one sounds like it's going to be a case of the club and the player being sorry that they can't find a mutual agreement

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

I'd be paying overs keeping Baptiste, Hodgson should be our backup half.
WorkChoice
Jose Mourinho
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Jose Mourinho »

I like Sammy but I think he can only be our back-up half these days. Just lacks a bit of game management and a running game. Great fill in if we have an injury though. If he decides to leave we can slot Croker or Hodgson in.
DJ89
Ricky Stuart

Post by DJ89 »

afgtnk wrote:None of those players inspire any confidence tbh. Usually we can cover with a good lower grade half coming through, but at the moment I don't think one exists. If it's Croker, then we'll struggle from what I've seen of him. Both Whitehead and Turner are not much more than 1-2 game stop gap solutions, and I wouldn't exactly want a guy who's one of the best in his position moving in Hodgson.

Even if Williams were to leave, I'd still want a capable, NRL ready half signed, even if he was of a bit lesser ability.
If you look through other NRL teams, I don't think many have anything other than a stop gap incase their number one or two half goes down.

The Cowboys had to call on Ray Thompson and the Sharks Nu Brown of late. Knight have had to call on Cogger and the Dragons McCrone! IMO we are in a pretty fortunate position this year to have such a quality player as depth.
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Jose Mourinho wrote:I like Sammy but I think he can only be our back-up half these days. Just lacks a bit of game management and a running game. Great fill in if we have an injury though. If he decides to leave we can slot Croker or Hodgson in.
Good call Jose, all the more reason to make sure we keep Baptiste though.

I like Sam Williams as much as anyone, but my thoughts are based on the fact hes one of us, loves Canberra, but these are thoughts that will hold us back, we need to be ruthless, and Sticky I feel is exactly that.....for the good of the club.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

I feel sorry for him.

There would be quite a few clubs where he would be starting.

Whilst we have him I'm stoked but the kid deserves a chance