35 Years - 35 Defining Moments

Canberra Raiders history

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

35 Years - 35 Defining Moments

Post by greeneyed »

4. Meninga joins the Raiders, 1986

Mal Meninga was the first marquee signing for Canberra, and to this day remains the greatest of all Raiders. Meninga's signing was instrumental in attracting other players to the club, and was the start of the rise of the club to a powerhouse.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 35 Years - 35 Defining Moments

Post by greeneyed »

3. A dominant third premiership, 1994

The Raiders had the 1994 Grand Final won from the kickoff. Paul Osborne, a late call up for a suspended John Lomax, produced some brilliant offloads to set up the first two tries. It was a dominant and comprehensive victory over the Bulldogs, 36-12.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2. Back to back premierships, 1990

The Canberra Raiders finished minor premiers and grand finalists in all three grades in 1990. After losing to Penrith in the first week of the finals, the Raiders take revenge in the Grand Final. Matthew Wood runs 55m to score the decisive try, and the Raiders ran out winners 18-14.
PabloKang2620
Alan Tongue

Post by PabloKang2620 »

Geez if we'd lost the 90 GF, Phil Carey would, to this day, be crucified and vilified by Raiders fans. Bulgarelli x 1000.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Just because I rock doesn't mean I'm made of stone
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

1. 1989 finals run and greatest grand final of all

The greatest ever Grand Final, and the first premiership for the Canberra Raiders. The joy amongst the team and in the national capital has not been equalled before or since.

The incredible winning streak of nine matches to take the crown meant the Raiders were the first team from fourth or fifth to win the premiership. The Green Machine swept aside the Sharks, Panthers and then the minor premiers, the Rabbitohs, before facing the Tigers in the decider.

And then the Raiders had to overcome the biggest half tine deficit in Grand Final history to force extra time. A Chris O'Sullivan field goal and Steve Jackson try won it after the end of the regulation 80 minutes. They were the first team from outside Sydney to take the crown. Tears from Mal Meninga. "I can't believe it. This is the greatest ever thing that has happened to me in football. Unbelieveable... Beats playing for Australia, beats playing for Queensland, this is what it's all about, winning the Grand Final."