Making history on the ice

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Making history on the ice

Post by raiderskater »

So I'm probably the only one here really who cares about figure skating, but I've been buzzing with excitement about this since it happened at 1am.

Katia ALEXANDROVSKAYA and Harley WINDSOR have won Australia's FIRST EVER ISU Championship gold medal at the Junior World Figure Skating Championships!

I can't even begin to describe how huge this is. It's beyond huge. Massive.

Their winning free skate:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5f23n ... r-fs_sport
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Re: Making history on the ice

Post by raiderskater »

And now a little more history!

With his placement at the World Figure Skating Championships, Brendan Kerry has direct qualified Australia a spot in the men's competition for the Olympics next year! This is a huge deal because at previous Olympics, we have had to qualify at the qualifying competition (Nebelhorn) instead of earning direct qualifications. Even though we're only directly qualified in the men (pairs, ladies and dance still have to go try and qualify at Nebelhorn), it's a massive step forward! He also scored 83.11 for his short program, the highest score ever by an Australian man, and 153 for his free skate, again, the highest score ever by an Aussie!

And if the scores from Worlds are anything to go by, Katia and Harley, along with Kailani Craine (or Brooklee Han) should be able to qualify in their disciplines, putting Australia in the box seat for a spot in the Team Event as well!!!!!!!!!!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

OK, so I'm trying to appreciate this sport....my wife loves it.

Frankly though, I just can't get excited by it.

Who should I be watching on youtube to see it at its best?? And what am I lookign for??

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

:o Wow... just read TR's signature!

Raiderskater... excellent news about how well Australia is doing there!
raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

T_R wrote: Who should I be watching on youtube to see it at its best?? And what am I lookign for??
From this Worlds, you want Yuzuru Hanyu's free skate, Boyang Jin's free skate, and make sure you watch Brendan because he did really well (especially his short program). What you're looking for: staying upright (always a good start). Multiple quadruple jumps (although granted these are harder to spot for beginners), ease in movement across the ice, spins that generally stay in one place and don't wander all over the shop, a connection to the music. There's tons more, of course, but those are a good start.

Most videos will have the TES box up in the top left corner, so you can see the points adding up as they go. Good TES is between 80-90; very good TES is between 90-100, and those over 100 are lunatics.

I'd like to add that studies have shown the skaters landing quadruple jumps are experiencing an impact of more than 7 times their own weight on landing. This is not a sport for sissies. ;)

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote::o Wow... just read TR's signature!
I watched A Few Good Men and got overexcited :D

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

raiderskater wrote:
T_R wrote: Who should I be watching on youtube to see it at its best?? And what am I lookign for??
From this Worlds, you want Yuzuru Hanyu's free skate, Boyang Jin's free skate, and make sure you watch Brendan because he did really well (especially his short program). What you're looking for: staying upright (always a good start). Multiple quadruple jumps (although granted these are harder to spot for beginners), ease in movement across the ice, spins that generally stay in one place and don't wander all over the shop, a connection to the music. There's tons more, of course, but those are a good start.

Most videos will have the TES box up in the top left corner, so you can see the points adding up as they go. Good TES is between 80-90; very good TES is between 90-100, and those over 100 are lunatics.

I'd like to add that studies have shown the skaters landing quadruple jumps are experiencing an impact of more than 7 times their own weight on landing. This is not a sport for sissies. ;)
OK, I'll get online and take a look.

Last time I seriously watched this stuff, everyone in Asia were losing their collective minds over Yuna Kim. I take it she is now retired and gone?

raiderskater
Jason Croker

Post by raiderskater »

T_R wrote:
raiderskater wrote:

Last time I seriously watched this stuff, everyone in Asia were losing their collective minds over Yuna Kim. I take it she is now retired and gone?
Yes, she retired after Sochi. Truthfully she didn't even really want to skate there - I think if she'd had her way she'd have taken the gold and retired after Vancouver.

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Genuinely thought this was a thread about Ben Cousins' time at the West Coast Eagles.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

raiderskater wrote:
T_R wrote:
raiderskater wrote:

Yes, she retired after Sochi. Truthfully she didn't even really want to skate there - I think if she'd had her way she'd have taken the gold and retired after Vancouver.
Thanks!