Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: The Politics Thread 2017

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
T_R wrote:
The Nickman wrote:How has nobody mentioned the Trump/Jerusalem thing in here yet? The man’s an absolute maniac!
To be fair, Clinton, Bush and Obama had the same policy.
It only turns to outrage when Trump says it. :)
Well none of this is exactly true. He's actually moving the embassy to Jerusalem, every President before him has signed six-monthly executive orders staying the move.
Trump signed it too. Likely continue to do so in the immediate term. They recognise it could take years to establish.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Well, Jerusalem does belong to Israel.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
T_R wrote:
The Nickman wrote:How has nobody mentioned the Trump/Jerusalem thing in here yet? The man’s an absolute maniac!
To be fair, Clinton, Bush and Obama had the same policy.
It only turns to outrage when Trump says it. :)
Well none of this is exactly true. He's actually moving the embassy to Jerusalem, every President before him has signed six-monthly executive orders staying the move.
The earliest it could be done is almost four years from now, when Trump will be out of power .

Nothing changed, at least at a practical level.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:Well, Jerusalem does belong to Israel.
Well no, no it doesn't. And that's the reason why not a single country has their embassy in Jerusalem, and also the reason every single American ally condemned their move and every single member state in the United Nations condemned the decision as well.

East Jerusalem is considered the capital of any future Palestinian state, and at present, by international law, it is illegally occupied by Israel. How can you state that Jerusalem belongs to Israel? What are you basing that on, dubby?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

History.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Grim stuff.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

This is disgusting stuff by dubby, I swear there isn’t a single political or basic human rights decision that I’m of a like opinion with

It’s at the stage now where if he told me he believed the sky was blue I’d have to go outside and look
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

In Qld, your sky is probably gray these days

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Where’s Rodman I’m sure he’d have some very strong views on this.

It’s a tricky situation but on the surface I’d say it should be Palestine’s, it was theirs before the UN created modern day Israel on their land.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Can we not just ask Jesus? Surely he knows.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Well I keep hearing he’s returning soon so I’ll make sure to ask his views when he does.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Nickman, We each hold different world views. We don't agree on everything. But, we can appreciate and respect each others opinions. Agree to disagree, so to speak.

That's what I'm trying to do. What I want to do.

I'm off my medicine now and feeling lucid. Still got a ways to go.

And now that things are clearer, I really just want to live a quite, peaceable life.

I respect you and your opinions. We are different, but that doesn't mean we can't get along.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Thing is dubby, some opinions are not worthy of respect.
greeneyed
Don Furner

The Politics Thread 2017

Post by greeneyed »

Saw this quote from a story shared on Twitter... This is why those who’ve been carrying on about how wonderful the postal vote was should take a second to think.

“So today I have mixed emotions. The whole process has been exhausting. Magda Szubanski’s speech at the Press Club two weeks ago articulated what many of us have been feeling – we’re conflicted – feeling both happy at the outcome, but also disappointed that we had to be put through this. For many gay people this has dredged up vivid memories of a life-time of bullying, humiliation, and intimidation.”

It’s a pretty sad condemnation of the whole thing IMO. A condemnation of the politicians and their process. A condemnation of those who opposed equal treatment of their fellow human beings.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Whenever GE posts in the politics thread he always nails it.
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Apparently we’re going to start putting journalists in gaol for up to 20 years for reporting on “sensitive information”
https://www.buzzfeed.com/paulfarrell/au ... .did2JVBKp

Sent from my iPad using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Notaroboticfish wrote:Apparently we’re going to start putting journalists in gaol for up to 20 years for reporting on “sensitive information”
https://www.buzzfeed.com/paulfarrell/au ... .did2JVBKp
Legislation clearly targeted at The Mole.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

gangrenous wrote:Thing is dubby, some opinions are not worthy of respect.
But we can respect the liberty that allows that person to have an opinion

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

dubby wrote:
Freedom of speech is not consequence free speech. If you say something that is baseless, discriminatory or hurtful than you have to take the response on the chin.

Jerusalem doesn't belong to Israel. Your comment was historically inaccurate and inflammatory.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:
I respect the liberty, but I can't respect someone who has **** opinions that are divisive and discriminatory towards other sections of society. Like I said earlier, I essentially disagree with everything dubby believes regarding human rights or treatment of minorities, we are complete polar opposites. In my opinion, thinking like dubs' belongs consigned to the 20th century.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
dubby wrote:
Freedom of speech is not consequence free speech. If you say something that is baseless, discriminatory or hurtful than you have to take the response on the chin.

Jerusalem doesn't belong to Israel. Your comment was historically inaccurate and inflammatory.
Spot on, just because you have freedom of speech isn't carte blanche to be a horrible ****.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Well, none of us are neutral historical experts, and none of us are qualified to comment on the authenticity of the Jewish or Palestinian claim to Jerusalem.

I made a claim I cannot astutely verify, based on a limited understanding of biblical and Jewish history.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:
dubby wrote:
I respect the liberty, but I can't respect someone who has **** opinions that are divisive and discriminatory towards other sections of society. Like I said earlier, I essentially disagree with everything dubby believes regarding human rights or treatment of minorities, we are complete polar opposites. In my opinion, thinking like dubs' belongs consigned to the 20th century.
Thing is, someone might be outraged by your opinions.

Which is why I tend to avoid political and religious discussion. Ne'er the twain shall meet.

Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

You can respect the right to an opinion but it doesn’t mean you need to respect said opinion. As I regularly say people deserve respect opinions/ideas/beliefs do not, we never know what experiences have led people to certain views.

Just on the history though I only care about demonstrable history, things that we have evidence for, the Torah and Bible should not come into it unless they can be proven, they’ve been shown to be unreliable.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Manbush wrote:You can respect the right to an opinion but it doesn’t mean you need to respect said opinion. As I regularly say people deserve respect opinions/ideas/beliefs do not, we never know what experiences have led people to certain views.

Just on the history though I only care about demonstrable history, things that we have evidence for, the Torah and Bible should not come into it unless they can be proven, they’ve been shown to be unreliable.
Exactly, and if people are going to cling to stuff in the Bible that suits their argument while ignoring all the bat **** crazy stuff their opinion is just laughable at best.

At the very least, on the Israel/Palestine conflict, without taking sides, both sides claim their right to Israel. And essentially all of the international community recognises East Jerusalem as the capital of a future Palestinian state, and that Israel is illegally occupying that part of the city.

For any chance of peace and a two-state solution, nobody is getting all of Israel. They just can't, no matter what crazy religious idiots think.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Manbush wrote:You can respect the right to an opinion but it doesn’t mean you need to respect said opinion. As I regularly say people deserve respect opinions/ideas/beliefs do not, we never know what experiences have led people to certain views.

I had a chuckle.
Your first para is exactly what I've been saying.

Then you finish with a clanger in your last sentence. Image

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Nickman, you're a good guy.
But for all your faux outrage over minorities, you go and say religious idiots, and laugh when people say they should wack off to a picture of Jesus.

You're as bad as those you despise.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
dubby wrote:

This is 100% spot on
Free speech doesn’t grant you permission to say inaccurate and inflammatory things without fear of having it called out.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

dubby wrote:Nickman, We each hold different world views. We don't agree on everything. But, we can appreciate and respect each others opinions. Agree to disagree, so to speak.

That's what I'm trying to do. What I want to do.

I'm off my medicine now and feeling lucid. Still got a ways to go.

And now that things are clearer, I really just want to live a quite, peaceable life.

I respect you and your opinions. We are different, but that doesn't mean we can't get along.
Not wanting to make light of what you are going through, I find it interesting and commend you for having sought assistance from medicine A.K.A. science rather than relying on faith.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Well that could be considered glib, gerg. But I don't think you're that sort of guy.

I used both faith and medicine. I dont think science replaces faith or vice versa, particularly with medicine.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:

I had a chuckle.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with his last sentence. Where's the "clanger"?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

You don't see the irony? Unreliable information? Bushy and some of his posts in this very thread?
You're chief among those who lol at bushys source of information etc.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Pigman wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
dubby wrote:

This is 100% spot on
Free speech doesn’t grant you permission to say inaccurate and inflammatory things without fear of having it called out.
Yet that's what they did.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That’s what who did?!?
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote:

I had a chuckle.

Even our old resident Jew Albi highlighted how some of the stuff never actually occurred and were just myths like the mass exodus and science backs it up then there’s the whole god gave them the land, a claim as big as that needs to be supported by evidence to have any legitimacy, Hitchens’s razor.