A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Re: A new Canberra Stadium

Post by cat »

When is this election coming?
Surely Canberreans have someone other then Barr to vote for!

In terms of the new stadium it's an election carrot they pull our every 4 years. Nothing will happen in my lifetime

If the Canberra government was serious about a new stadium it would of been built by now, compared to Sydney things move faster in Canberra such as the light rail, the road through the ridge etc.

This is like when your mum said you could have sweets if you ate all your dinner , you eat your dinner and find out sweets was a banana not a bowl of ice cream

If you vote for Barr there is no new stadium but new ticket machines ( last time it was a new big screen)
Vaccinated
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

cat wrote: April 17, 2024, 12:27 pm This is like when your mum said you could have sweets if you ate all your dinner , you eat your dinner and find out sweets was a banana not a bowl of ice cream
Jesus Christ cat, your mum was awful!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:I can’t see how it’s any smarter as an investment decision than a decision to build a stadium. A “pavillion” will have a negative benefit cost ratio.
Yeah, unlike a football stadium that gets used maybe 30 times a year.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A city stadium can be built on a new site: City Hill

Andrew Barr is pushing ahead with a plan to build a new 30,000-seat stadium at Bruce by the mid 2030s and it was revealed this week he is seeking a 50-50 funding split with the federal government. There are many - including the Raiders - who are still keen for a city stadium to be brought back into the conversation.

A stadium with the same land footprint as the existing Canberra Stadium will fit on City Hill. Sure, there's the small issue of the surrounding roads, the flagpole, Canberra Centenary Obelisk and the heritage trees, but it fits.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

City Hill is as realistic of being built as any of Andrew Barr’s last 7 pre election commitments for a new stadium.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: April 18, 2024, 3:12 pm City Hill is as realistic of being built as any of Andrew Barr’s last 7 pre election commitments for a new stadium.
The tone of the article was not entirely serious, but as it turns out, the last pre election commitments for a new stadium turned out to have as much substance.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Being serious, has Canberra not got someone better to vote for? Or is it like America where they have the crazy one or the senile one ?

This guy just makes empty promises every election
Vaccinated
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Canberra always votes Labor, cat. Because it's filled with public servants.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

The Nickman wrote: April 18, 2024, 4:24 pm Canberra always votes Labor, cat. Because it's filled with public servants.
And Labor has no one else but him to lead?
Vaccinated
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 18, 2024, 4:24 pm Canberra always votes Labor, cat. Because it's filled with public servants.
It's a party position, not an Andrew Barr position

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

My mate suggested to me that any new stadium should be built at Dickson on the playing fields off Antil street. There is no desire by Barr to befoul Civic with NRL fans, nobody wants to go to the howling wilderness of Bruce, so why not Dicko.
Good transport links including the tram, adjacent to the dining and drinking opportunities of Dickson and as an extra sop to Barr the Tradies club could cash in as well.
Sounds good to me.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

cat wrote: April 18, 2024, 4:32 pm
Why would Labor dump their leader who is guaranteed victory just because you want a stadium?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

A new stadium by mid 2030's? Not even sure the current stadium will last that long... it's on its last legs.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Cranky Old Man wrote:My mate suggested to me that any new stadium should be built at Dickson on the playing fields off Antil street. There is no desire by Barr to befoul Civic with NRL fans, nobody wants to go to the howling wilderness of Bruce, so why not Dicko.
Good transport links including the tram, adjacent to the dining and drinking opportunities of Dickson and as an extra sop to Barr the Tradies club could cash in as well.
Sounds good to me.
Definitely bigger than the pool site. It's about 1km from my house. The suburban roads would absolutely melt down with a crowd of 5000, and it's next door to residential areas so I suspect that's a significant barrier.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on April 18, 2024, 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Cranky Old Man wrote:My mate suggested to me that any new stadium should be built at Dickson on the playing fields off Antil street. There is no desire by Barr to befoul Civic with NRL fans, nobody wants to go to the howling wilderness of Bruce, so why not Dicko.
Sounds good to me.
Terrible idea.

Bad transport links (light rail doesn’t move many people per hour) and limited fast road access compared to other places.

The ACT government realised that EPIC wasn’t a great location for the stadium.

Better location for housing not a sports stadium.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

"It will be a poor outcome for the city if by the mid-2020s we have not replaced Canberra Stadium, because it will be 50 years old and it will be at the end of its useful life.

It's almost half way into 2024..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.co ... zqxpr.html

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

I’m just catching up on this after a decade. Is there a new stadium yet?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

reptar wrote:I’m just catching up on this after a decade. Is there a new stadium yet?
Check back in after another decade.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:"It will be a poor outcome for the city if by the mid-2020s we have not replaced Canberra Stadium, because it will be 50 years old and it will be at the end of its useful life.

It's almost half way into 2024..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.co ... zqxpr.html

Aged like milk
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

The Nickman wrote: April 18, 2024, 5:11 pm
cat wrote: April 18, 2024, 4:32 pm
Why would Labor dump their leader who is guaranteed victory just because you want a stadium?
Not just about the stadium, I knowva lot of Canberreans who are not happy with the way Canberra is heading
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Azza wrote: April 18, 2024, 5:55 pm A new stadium by mid 2030's? Not even sure the current stadium will last that long... it's on its last legs.
I would put the current Canberra Stadium above Penrith, Sharks, Manly, Leichhardt, Campbelltown, both Win stadiums, Redcliffe, Newcastle

BUT for safety and comfort of spectators and to prevent some huge payout some major upgrades
- the car park lighting
- toilets
- the uneven surfaces in the forecourts

Are all a serious accident waiting to happen
At least an upgrade needs to be done before 2035!
Vaccinated
BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium

Post by BJ »

cat wrote:
Azza wrote: April 18, 2024, 5:55 pm A new stadium by mid 2030's? Not even sure the current stadium will last that long... it's on its last legs.
I would put the current Canberra Stadium above Penrith, Sharks, Manly, Leichhardt, Campbelltown, both Win stadiums, Redcliffe, Newcastle

BUT for safety and comfort of spectators and to prevent some huge payout some major upgrades
- the car park lighting
- toilets

Many of those you list are much better footy watching stadiums than Bruce stadium and all of them put you much closer to the action.

Canberra stadium is more solid looking and has more 47 year old concrete, maybe more roof area and in some cases more seated areas, but Bruce is definitely not better or a closer viewing experience than many of those grounds you listed.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

BJ wrote: April 18, 2024, 9:26 pm
cat wrote:

- the car park lighting
- toilets

Many of those you list are much better footy watching stadiums than Bruce stadium and all of them put you much closer to the action.

Canberra stadium is more solid looking and has more 47 year old concrete, maybe more roof area and in some cases more seated areas, but Bruce is definitely not better or a closer viewing experience than many of those grounds you listed.
Facilities wise Canberra Stadium is a lot better then any of those ones.

Toilets, entry, seat comfort, food options are all better at Canberra

Lighting is also better in within the stadium
Vaccinated
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

cat wrote:
cat wrote:

- the car park lighting
- toilets

Facilities wise Canberra Stadium is a lot better then any of those ones.

Toilets, entry, seat comfort, food options are all better at Canberra

Lighting is also better in within the stadium
Can only agree with you on a couple of those stadiums there.

But that’s really some side issues not core football watching experience.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cat wrote:

- the car park lighting
- toilets

At least Canberra Stadium is an actual stadium! The other grounds on cat’s list might have “seating” closer to the field, but that’s because, to a significant degree, those ground hold only 10-15k people. And at many of them you’re standing or sitting on wet grass. Quite a number of those grounds on cat’s list are not fit to host NRL games.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’ll have to agree to disagree, but I go to live rugby league for viewing the game itself and the live crowd interaction.

I think many of those stadiums listed provide a much better viewing experience, are clearly closer to the action and provide more connectivity to the players and better interaction with your fellow fans than Canberra Stadium.

Our stadium can fall a bit flat sometimes, especially if the games a bit dead.

Crappy stadiums holding no more fans than ours does in English soccer and also English rugby league provide an amazing match day experience. I’d take Wigans humble DW stadium over ours for the last 20 plus years. But clearly want a much better stadium than all listed going forward.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: April 19, 2024, 10:09 am I’ll have to agree to disagree, but I go to live rugby league for viewing the game itself and the live crowd interaction.

I think many of those stadiums listed provide a much better viewing experience, are clearly closer to the action and provide more connectivity to the players and better interaction with your fellow fans than Canberra Stadium.

Crappy stadiums holding no more fans than ours does in English soccer and also English rugby league provide an amazing match day experience. I’d take Wigans humble DW stadium over ours for the last 20 plus years. But clearly want a much better stadium than all listed going forward.
Clearly the configuration of Canberra Stadium isn’t good, due to its history as an athletics field. Apart from age, it’s the main reason we need a new one.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
BJ wrote: April 19, 2024, 10:09 am I’ll have to agree to disagree, but I go to live rugby league for viewing the game itself and the live crowd interaction.

Clearly the configuration of Canberra Stadium isn’t good, due to its history as an athletics field. Apart from age, it’s the main reason we need a new one.
Spot on. And a key reason we must never build a mixed AFL oval / rectangular stadium mutant.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Bj I have to disagree with you in regards to my points being " side issues" to watching the game.

And I can say from my seat in Canberra stadium I'm pretty close to the action

As a slightly older female fan who does go to most away matches viewing of the match isn't always better at those other venues I listed and toilets and safety are just as important

Shark Park this season was basically Port o loo city and any great viewing spots are already taken up by season ticket holders ( there are only about 8 thousand seats there) and don't get me started on safety I have literally been bowled over by drunks rolling down the hill and taking out the mass of people trying to leave on the walkway

If we want to attract families, females , older fans and newbies to come and watch the game live the venues need to be a lot more than just " good viewing "
Vaccinated
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

cat wrote:Bj
Shark Park this season was basically Port o loo city and any great viewing spots are already taken up by season ticket holders ( there are only about 8 thousand seats there) and don't get me started on safety I have literally been bowled over by drunks rolling down the hill and taking out the mass of people trying to leave on the walkway
Look, how many times do I have to apologise for that?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Shark Park is a perfect example of the challenges of trying to simultaneously redevelop and host games.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

The Nickman wrote: April 19, 2024, 2:03 pm
cat wrote:Bj
Look, how many times do I have to apologise for that?
😆 you did snob me off there though a fair few years back :hmmm
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

BJ wrote: April 19, 2024, 2:03 pm Shark Park is a perfect example of the challenges of trying to simultaneously redevelop and host games.
Shark Park is never going to reach the standards of the current Canberra Stadium.

There are no more plans for extra seating, yes there will be new loos but it's still going to be awful viewing from most areas of the ground for the away fans. It's also going to continue to be an awful place to exit in a crowd

And if it's not up to standard while they are rebuilding then they should still be playing at Kogarah
Vaccinated
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

cat wrote:
BJ wrote: April 19, 2024, 2:03 pm Shark Park is a perfect example of the challenges of trying to simultaneously redevelop and host games.
Shark Park is never going to reach the standards of the current Canberra Stadium.

There are no more plans for extra seating, yes there will be new loos but it's still going to be awful viewing from most areas of the ground for the away fans. It's also going to continue to be an awful place to exit in a crowd

And if it's not up to standard while they are rebuilding then they should still be playing at Kogarah
100% agree. Shark park is the worst proper home ground in the comp, I don’t even know what the redevelopment hopes to deliver for Sharks fans.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Nothing as far as the stadium goes. This is about making use of the land either side of it:
https://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/sha ... evelopment

"Woolooware Bay – Sharks Leagues Club development"
https://www.sharks.com.au/news/2024/04/ ... arch-2024/