A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Just put a floating platform over Burley Griff and whack it there. Problem solved, pay me.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by BJ »

Seiffert82 wrote:Haha, yep, just knock down a few office blocks and residential apartment. Can't be that hard.

For reference, the Civic Pool site is about half the size of the Suncorp Stadium area.
Are you sure about your measurements?

I mean obviously you have to move Parks Way a little, but the figures I saw previously were not double the space at Suncorp.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The number of “town planners” on the GH is quite outstanding! :roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

At least there’s a bit of imagination. Which we are not getting from our politicians.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Haha, yep, just knock down a few office blocks and residential apartment. Can't be that hard.

For reference, the Civic Pool site is about half the size of the Suncorp Stadium area.

I mean obviously you have to move Parks Way a little, but the figures I saw previously were not double the space at Suncorp.
Yep fair call. It's probably not half the size, but the aspect is wrong.

Suncorp stadium, including the external forecourt itself is about 400m long (north-south) and 190m wide (east-west). Due to the aspect of the sun, a stadium is typically built to run north-south, unless it's fully enclosed.

The Olympic pool site is an odd shape. At its narrowest it's about 250m long (running approx northwest-southeast) and almost 150m wide, but it's not the right shape for a rectangular stadium with proper road access and concourse.

I guess that's why they talked about building a fully enclosed stadium and realigning Parkes way by about 30-40 metres to squeeze something smaller in. The site would also have basically zero parking space or room for pedestrians entering or exiting the facility.

Dunno, we'll see what happens.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Seiffert82 wrote:
BJ wrote:

Yep fair call. It's probably not half the size, but the aspect is wrong.

Suncorp stadium, including the external forecourt itself is about 400m long (north-south) and 190m wide (east-west). Due to the aspect of the sun, a stadium is typically built to run north-south, unless it's fully enclosed.

The Olympic pool site is an odd shape. At its narrowest it's about 250m long (running approx northwest-southeast) and almost 150m wide, but it's not the right shape for a rectangular stadium with proper road access and concourse.

I guess that's why they talked about building a fully enclosed stadium and realigning Parkes way by about 30-40 metres to squeeze something smaller in. The site would also have basically zero parking space or room for pedestrians entering or exiting the facility.

Dunno, we'll see what happens.

Yep, I agree with what you say here.

My issue is I don’t think the ACT government is really serious about building a Civic stadium, it’s just been consistently used as a vote carrot in the lead up to elections.

They’re happy to raise London Cct by 6 meters for the light rail and spend a lot of budget doing so, they would have to commit and do something similar for a civic stadium.

The ACT government has sold off too much Civic land to unit developers and there’s not too much space in civic remaining for major infrastructure. Might have to do more land swaps with the NCA like they did with the Curtin horse paddocks.

Or we kick people out of their huge house blocks in Reid and Braddon Image
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

They redeveloped Bruce Stadium piece meal back in the '90s. They can do it again. Just put a damn roof on it this time.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

yurithe1 wrote:They redeveloped Bruce Stadium piece meal back in the '90s. They can do it again. Just put a damn roof on it this time.
I think it’s the rapidly approaching 50 year structural lifespan of the Meninga stand that’s the problem.

There’s been some major issues with safety during storms in the last few years and insurance difficulties may also emerge. Gonna be an expensive build no matter what or where in Canberra.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Stage 3 of the light rail network to Belconnen is pretty much designed to connect the city to Bruce CIT and the Uni of Canberra, so it makes sense to build a short spur to the AIS precinct to provide for a mass transit option during big events. You could easily cater for transport for a crowd to fill a 35,000 seat stadium.

Not sure it would be cheaper or better to upgrade and retrofit a 45 year old stadium.

The Civic Pool site would be perfect for a world class convention centre connected to Commonwealth Park and Stage 88 with a decent walkway over Parkes Way.

BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by BJ »

Seiffert82 wrote:Stage 3 of the light rail network to Belconnen is pretty much designed to connect the city to Bruce CIT and the Uni of Canberra, so it makes sense to build a short spur to the AIS precinct to provide for a mass transit option during big events. You could easily cater for transport for a crowd to fill a 35,000 seat stadium.

Not sure it would be cheaper or better to upgrade and retrofit a 45 year old stadium.

The Civic Pool site would be perfect for a world class convention centre connected to Commonwealth Park and Stage 88 with a decent walkway over Parkes Way.

Issue with Light Rail is it isn’t actually a “mass transit” system. That spur line may only be able to bring in 3-4000 people an hour, which isn’t enough to ensure effective transport to and from the game. I can’t imagine many fans willing to endure 3 hours of waiting and commuting on game day.

You could probably double that throughput with a stadium at Civic with the North and South line, then maybe triple it with a third Belco line.

Heavy Rail is very good for getting people in and out of sporting events, Light Rail carriages carry too few people in comparison, the Canberra light rail only takes 207 people max per journey. That’s less than double an articulated bus.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Stage 3 of the light rail network to Belconnen is pretty much designed to connect the city to Bruce CIT and the Uni of Canberra, so it makes sense to build a short spur to the AIS precinct to provide for a mass transit option during big events. You could easily cater for transport for a crowd to fill a 35,000 seat stadium.

Issue with Light Rail is it isn’t actually a “mass transit” system. That spur line may only be able to bring in 3-4000 people an hour, which isn’t enough to ensure effective transport to and from the game. I can’t imagine many fans willing to endure 3 hours of waiting and commuting on game day.

You could probably double that throughput with a stadium at Civic with the North and South line, then maybe triple it with a third Belco line.

Heavy Rail is very good for getting people in and out of sporting events, Light Rail carriages carry too few people in comparison, the Canberra light rail only takes 207 people max per journey. That’s less than double an articulated bus.
Yep, all fair points, however I wasn't putting forward the light rail system as a reason to have the stadium at the AIS vs the City. Obviously the city is better connected (although it is a 10-15 minute walk from the pool to the interchange.

My (continued) assumption is that there is not enough available land to build a 30,000 seat stadium in the city. Especially not enough so as to not impact on residential apartments.

Not only that, one of the main issues with the pool site is that it offers almost zero capacity to handle 20,000+ people as they pour onto the street at the end of the game, or queue to get in to the venue 5 minutes before kickoff.

So, with that in mind, it's almost certain the government will need to land on the next best alternative, whatever that is.

Also, a light rail station would also only supplement car parking and bus options at the stadium, like it does elsewhere. You'd obviously have multiple trams and buses queued and running for big events. I suspect most people would expect a 30-45 minute wait for public transport if there was a 30,000+ crowd at the venue - much like you would anywhere. It takes much longer than that to get to your car and out of the carpark when a final is on.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Seiffert82 wrote:
BJ wrote:

Yep, all fair points, however I wasn't putting forward the light rail system as a reason to have the stadium at the AIS vs the City. Obviously the city is better connected (although it is a 10-15 minute walk from the pool to the interchange.

My (continued) assumption is that there is not enough available land to build a 30,000 seat stadium in the city. Especially not enough so as to not impact on residential apartments.

Not only that, one of the main issues with the pool site is that it offers almost zero capacity to handle 20,000+ people as they pour onto the street at the end of the game, or queue to get in to the venue 5 minutes before kickoff.

So, with that in mind, it's almost certain the government will need to land on the next best alternative, whatever that is.

Also, a light rail station would also only supplement car parking and bus options at the stadium, like it does elsewhere. You'd obviously have multiple trams and buses queued and running for big events. I suspect most people would expect a 30-45 minute wait for public transport if there was a 30,000+ crowd at the venue - much like you would anywhere. It takes much longer than that to get to your car and out of the carpark when a final is on.
Yep fair points too. I think this just highlights how complex this whole new stadium is and it’s getting more difficult each year to find city land that hasn’t been taken by unit property developers.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
BJ wrote:

Yep fair points too. I think this just highlights how complex this whole new stadium is and it’s getting more difficult each year to find city land that hasn’t been taken by unit property developers.
Yep. If there was an easy solution it would have been done by now. Unfortunately we've never had a significant tract of vacant land attached to the city for large scale sporting facilities. It's impossible to compare our situation with Melbourne (which has unbelievable facilities in that Olympic Park precinct), or even Lang Park. We all know the Sydneysiders whinge about how out of the way their Olympic Park is from the city. Most big things like these are built on old showgrounds. Nobody seems to want that in Canberra either.

So, unless someone wants to approve bulding a stadium on top of Sullivan's Creek in Tuner Parkland, or reclaim a chunk of the Lake, near the National Museum, I can't see a stadium in or near the city ever happening.

Which sucks, because it would be perfect for me

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That’s because our showgrounds were put out on the northern fringe of the city in the middle of nowhere.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, EPIC is obviously on the outskirts of the town centre so it could accommodate large scale and noisy events like music festivals, the Canberra Show and Summernats without disturbing the gentle folk of the inner suburbs. Seems entirely sensible to me.

At the end of the day, people don't mind being disturbed by things they enjoy. However, I can guarantee you that the vast majority of the population don't want a 30,000 seat stadium within 500 metes of their residence. Noise restrictions would prohibit it in any case. The outrage shown from inner south residents when a major cricket game is on is enough evidence to know that's the case. Bloody traffic!

I'd love a stadium in the city, but jamming an additional 20-30,000 people and their cars in that area would be an absolute nightmare.

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 19, 2022, 1:59 pm Yep, EPIC is obviously on the outskirts of the town centre so it could accommodate large scale and noisy events like music festivals, the Canberra Show and Summernats without disturbing the gentle folk of the inner suburbs. Seems entirely sensible to me.

At the end of the day, people don't mind being disturbed by things they enjoy. However, I can guarantee you that the vast majority of the population don't want a 30,000 seat stadium within 500 metes of their residence. Noise restrictions would prohibit it in any case. The outrage shown from inner south residents when a major cricket game is on is enough evidence to know that's the case. Bloody traffic!

I'd love a stadium in the city, but jamming an additional 20-30,000 people and their cars in that area would be an absolute nightmare.

This is just such a nothing argument.

The SFS, Suncorp, Parramatta, Suncorp, AAMI Park, QCB Stadium are all built in the heart of their respective cities and very near to high-density housing.

It's the price you pay for living in the centre of a city. Occasionally people want to go there.

As for cars - there are fans of this club who have an absolute obsession with having to be able to drive to a sporting match. How is it that fans of all the other clubs cope on public transport?

If you want your house to be deathly quiet then move to Captains Flat.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 16, 2022, 8:50 pm Just put a floating platform over Burley Griff and whack it there. Problem solved, pay me.
You know, it's been done before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Float_@_Marina_Bay
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Timbo wrote: July 21, 2022, 12:32 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: July 19, 2022, 1:59 pm Yep, EPIC is obviously on the outskirts of the town centre so it could accommodate large scale and noisy events like music festivals, the Canberra Show and Summernats without disturbing the gentle folk of the inner suburbs. Seems entirely sensible to me.

This is just such a nothing argument.

The SFS, Suncorp, Parramatta, Suncorp, AAMI Park, QCB Stadium are all built in the heart of their respective cities and very near to high-density housing.

It's the price you pay for living in the centre of a city. Occasionally people want to go there.

As for cars - there are fans of this club who have an absolute obsession with having to be able to drive to a sporting match. How is it that fans of all the other clubs cope on public transport?

If you want your house to be deathly quiet then move to Captains Flat.
OK that's your opinion, but at the moment there is a legal 60 dB noise limit in the city. A 30,000 crowd typically generates noise above 70 dB. Rock concerts would be significantly louder. I'm not the one setting the rules, I'm just pointing out what some of the issues are. Perhaps you need to take the argument up with the ACT government. This thing will be used for more than afternoon footy games.

I completely understand that plenty of high density housing has been built around stadiums that already existed in most cities. This includes the SFS at Moore Park, Suncorp and Parramatta Stadiums. The difference is that people purchased property in the area after those grounds were designated for that purpose. QCB Stadium was built in an industrial area of Townsville and AAMI Park was built in Melbourne Olympic Park, so I'm not sure what existing high density apartments you are referring to that existed in either of those two locations.

The difference here is that a football stadium doesn't currently exist where the Civic Pool is located. To that extent, I am almost certain that residents within 500m of the site who live in the City, Reid and soon Parkes will have a right to complain if one is being proposed. A pool doesn't hold 30,000 people, nor does it operate at 10:00 at night when noise restrictions are even stricter. It's hard enough to get live music venues approved in most pubs across the city, let alone something like this.

Sorry, I'm just pointing out the facts of the matter. If you think a stadium will ever be approved in the Canberra CBD, then good luck! But sure, I'm certain the ACT government will be happy to tell people who complain about a new stadium that their alternative is to move to Captain's Flat.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on July 21, 2022, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Have you guys considered moving the team to Queensland? You'll certainly get more fans to the games
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: July 21, 2022, 3:36 pm Have you guys considered moving the team to Queensland? You'll certainly get more fans to the games
On the standard agenda of our regular board meetings.

1. Approve minutes of prior meeting.
2. Extending the coach's contract.
3. Moving to Queensland.
4. Writing to Graham Annesley.
5. Other business.
6. Beers at the QLC.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 21, 2022, 3:41 pm
The Nickman wrote: July 21, 2022, 3:36 pm Have you guys considered moving the team to Queensland? You'll certainly get more fans to the games
On the standard agenda of our regular board meetings.

1. Approve minutes of prior meeting.
2. Extending the coach's contract.
3. Moving to Queensland.
4. Writing to Graham Annesley.
5. Other business.
6. Beers at the QLC.
Let's just elevate Number 6 to the top, I'm going to stack on a real blue if I don't get a schnitty into me stat!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

The Nickman wrote:Have you guys considered moving the team to Queensland? You'll certainly get more fans to the games
I was hoping the trial at St Mary’s was to gauge if there was any interest in a move there!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

I honestly think it's time to accept there won't be a new stadium.

At least in my life time.

Having read all the despondent threads that pop up here annually about a new stadium, the nepotism, the signing of the boys club, the Queanbeyan mafia etc there are a few things that seem to become clearer in my old age.

One is this - The Canberra Raiders were created in the early 80's by some well to do's in Queanbeyan and scraped into the NSWRL by the skin of their teeth.
Following this - the club got lucky with some incredible talent, geographical fortune, and the failings of the NSWRL to expand as quickly as they should have into other States and Territories.

We are now an also ran. The club will never return to it's former glory and it accepts it will continue to place somewhere around 8th for the rest of it's time. Even if by chance we won the 2019 GF - does anyone think we'd be in any place apart from the one we are now?

There appears to be no significant interest in holding people accountable and there appears to be no onus on performance being rewarded or otherwise.

Going off the Xavier Savage Calendar (born 2002) -

2022 - will miss the finals.
2021 - missed the finals.
2020 - made the finals
2019 - made the GF
2018 - missed.
2017 - missed.
2016 - made the finals.
2015 - missed
2014 - missed
2013 - missed
2012 - made the finals
2011 - missed
2010 - made the finals
2009 - missed
2008 - made the finals
2007 - missed
2006 - made the finals
2005 - missed
2004 - made the finals
2003 - made the finals
2002 - made the finals

Since our fullback has been alive, we've made the finals in 10 of his 20 years.
A 50% record when half the teams in the comp make the 8 and really all you need to do is win half your games simply isn't good enough.

Unless - you accept that the Board, the Queanbeyan Mafia etc, don't really care for results and just run the club to grow their own profit margins.

Since Ricky Stuart began coaching with us, we've missed the finals in 5 (soon to be 6) of his 8 (lets call it 9) years. Less than 50%. So lets give him an extension. Now, don't get me wrong - I love Ricky and he must be around the club. But. An extension off the back of that record? Without any pressure?

We need to accept the club don't really care for results.

Point 2.

With this mindset, why would there be any intention to build a new stadium?
As a subpar team - we average about 15k people.

I recall at one point it dropped to around 12k, but the reality is this - there is no need to build a stadium with an average attendance of just a tick below 15,000 people.

Those 15,000 people will on average, show up week in week out hail, rain, victory, shine, or loss.

A new stadium would cost several hundred million and what's the return?

A better football team? Not likely.
A new drive to improve? Not likely.

Much greater crowds? Maybe...but enough to double figures or at least add an extra 5000 people a game?

It isn't happening.
It won't happen.

We're done.

Congrats to the many of you who support this team - the pride of the Territory when we go well, and really something that it seems neither the Raiders Board or those who tick the box for a new stadium seem to care about otherwise.

I understand Brookvale has been improved, Shark Park is rebuilt, Homebush and the SFS are rebuilt or upgraded, Parramatta stadium is incredible. Penrith Stadium is being rebuilt.

We've fallen behind. We're not even in the discussion of a new home ground. And all we'll get for the next decade is maybe a new screen that you can't see in winter because of the low sun.

It's done people. Close the thread. Lock the gates.

It isn't happening. And I can't see one reason why it would ever get off the ground - at least in my lifetime.

I love this team, but I'm also old enough that if the team doesn't are much for the result - where's the encouragement for me to get off my couch and use my seasons membership at the ground? It's too cold. The team don't show up half the time. There's nothing in Bruce to encourage anything else. The roads in are awful. Parking is stupidly over priced for a paddock in suburban Canberra.

Anyway - if there's any new stadium in the next 8 years I'd be beyond shocked.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Cmon Love4noa, Andrew Barr wouldn’t reneg on his previous election promises.

BTW, after a pick up my son from the highly performing Calwell High, I’m just going to catch one of my more buses more often, down the duplicated Athlonn drive, past the cleaned up blue algae free Lake Tuggers to the new Tuggeranong ice sports stadium.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Raiders crowds are just one piece of the equation for government funding. From an economic perspective, a larger and more sophisticated stadium is really about attracting international and other large scale events to the city.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. On one hand the cost of construction and supply chain issues are making large projects more expensive. On the other hand, the cost of capital is still historically low, so hopefully this inflation blip settles down quickly and we can get on with BAU.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

What effect would a roof have on noise levels?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good question.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 22, 2022, 6:11 pm What effect would a roof have on noise levels?
Couldnt hurt
But i have to say i think im firmly in Noa's camp

At this point i dont know why ACT GOV would invest in a full new stadium. And clearly the answer is they'll keep saying it's something they want to do but never actually bother doing it.

I think our best hope is if Australia ever wins a WC, and even then maybe not.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

My take on the timeline:
1. The ACT Government's loan for the asbestos remediation will be paid off in 2024.
2. The proposed land sale of 50% of the AIS precinct from the Feds to the ACT is still under consideration. The sale will provide options for the ACT to redevelop the Bruce facilities or sell off land to fund a stadium elsewhere.
3. Indications are Labor will be more motivated than the Coalition to proceed with the AIS sale, which is not hard as the Coalition were **** hopeless when it came to anything benefiting Canberra.
4. The next Federal election is in 2025.
5. The next ACT election is in 2024.
6. Given the makeup of the senate, Pocock actually has some influence. Clearly he is keen to get a new stadium off the ground.
7. Federal Labor will be quite motivated to maintain an independent over a Liberal senator in the ACT.

I expect the ball will start to roll around 2024-25.

I also think bulding a stadium with a smaller capacity that we currently have, which precludes us from any international events, would be nuts.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on July 23, 2022, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Talking to a mate of mine, he reckons if they do decide to do a rebuild at Bruce, they’ll have to fund a Vikings Park upgrade to house Raiders and Brumbies for 2-3 seasons.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Anyone know where brews corporate.box would be in the new stadium ?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

It's reflective camouflaged floating above the new Brew stand.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: July 23, 2022, 11:59 am Talking to a mate of mine, he reckons if they do decide to do a rebuild at Bruce, they’ll have to fund a Vikings Park upgrade to house Raiders and Brumbies for 2-3 seasons.
They’re planning to rebuild it while keeping the ground open, it seems.

Hearing today that we’re probably getting extra games at Canberra Stadium next year, due to women’s soccer.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I cant see that being a problem
They could do it in 4 parts and the vacancy wouldnt be troubled between the raiders or brumbies

**** you could hold the brumbies match in my living room and we'd be alright for capcity
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

A redevelopment would suck for our capacity during finals appearances, but the ground surface itself is clearly still top shelf.

Whatever they do, I hope it's a decent job that includes a proper refurbishment of the AIS Arena.