A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by Botman »

The easiest way to get a major infrastructure projects committed to and delivered is if he electorate is up for grabs and parties have to do something for the people.

We are not, and thus, we will not get anything that the sitting government who have a political monopoly dont value. As outlined by Leebola, both sides understand they dont need/shouldnt bother spending money on these electorates.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Botman wrote: June 5, 2022, 9:46 pm The easiest way to get a major infrastructure projects committed to and delivered is if he electorate is up for grabs and parties have to do something for the people.

We are not, and thus, we will not get anything that the sitting government who have a political monopoly dont value. As outlined by Leebola, both sides understand they dont need/shouldnt bother spending money on these electorates.
Indeed - Parramatta as mentioned earlier, and Townsville for another example. Depressing, but the reality. Someone with a closer eye on politics might be able to look at Manly too - now it's "Teal", and getting upgrades everywhere
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

one of the appeals of voting for Pocock for me was that he was a person who was passionate about the things that matter to me, which include social issues AND a new stadium for canberra

but the stark reality is a new stadium wont come until the voters make it a priority. And until this community does make it a priority, the politicians are probaly right to kick the can down the road.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’ve often wondered whether the second best place for the stadium near the city would be around the car parks to the west of Commonwealth park. Seems to be more room than on Parks Way and would have less impact on the rest of the city during construction.

I’ve drawn a 180m straight line to give a perspective of the size and space. I’d still prefer the Civic pool site.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: June 6, 2022, 2:39 pm I’ve often wondered whether the second best place for the stadium near the city would be around the car parks to the west of Commonwealth park. Seems to be more room than on Parks Way and would have less impact on the rest of the city during construction.

I’ve drawn a 180m straight line to give a perspective of the size and space. I’d still prefer the Civic pool site.

I've made this suggestion before too. I think it's the only solution to get a 30,000 stadium.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Honestly our crowds are pretty admirable considering the conditions which often present themselves at GIO.

I’ve been at GIO on a legitimate -6 Friday night and there were 13k fans there.

Imagine how epic our crowds would be with a sheltered/covered stadium.

I don’t think it is fanciful to say that you would open up whole new demographics who may at least consider coming to a winter game in Canberra with a new stadium taking the sting out of a chilly day/night.
Up The Milk
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

The game on Sunday was a perfect example of why we need an indoor stadium. The crowd was kept small by the horrible conditions. With an indoor stadium it would have easily pulled 16k+

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That stadium is **** brutal too
im convinced its 3-4 degree colder inside that stadium, its a **** ice box... it's a miracle a single **** soul rolls up to watch them play, there is no question in a perfect world, if we had a world class indoor stadium, those raiders crowds when we're winning would be one of, if not the best atmosphere in the NRL
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

ground level is above the playing surface so all that bowl concrete just sits there cold and damp then creates an ice box

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

When they expected thousands of Covid deaths in Canberra, I can exclusively report they were going to simply seat the bodies at Bruce Stadium knowing they’d be kept perfectly preserved for weeks.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Mickey_Raider wrote:Honestly our crowds are pretty admirable considering the conditions which often present themselves at GIO.

I don’t think it is fanciful to say that you would open up whole new demographics who may at least consider coming to a winter game in Canberra with a new stadium taking the sting out of a chilly day/night.
I can't convince my dad to go to a game, too cold. My brother in law and two nephews bailed on the brumbies final on Saturday night. Too cold.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

BJ wrote:When they expected thousands of Covid deaths in Canberra, I can exclusively report they were going to simply seat the bodies at Bruce Stadium knowing they’d be kept perfectly preserved for weeks.
Not Parliament House? Already storing plenty of fossils there.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 6, 2022, 8:34 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:Honestly our crowds are pretty admirable considering the conditions which often present themselves at GIO.

I can't convince my dad to go to a game, too cold. My brother in law and two nephews bailed on the brumbies final on Saturday night. Too cold.
Being cold and watching some **** **** raiders is one thing. It's a watchable and enjoyable product in a suboptimal situation.
Being cold and watching some boring ****, Bull game like Rugby is quite another. Garbage product. Trash sport. your brother in law was right to take a hard pass.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I dragged my ass out there on Sunday, it was **** cold. As it was **** cold the week before

It would probably be a solid 5 degrees warmer if they filled the **** ends in so the wind doesn't howl through the joint.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

greeneyed wrote: June 6, 2022, 3:12 pm
BJ wrote: June 6, 2022, 2:39 pm I’ve often wondered whether the second best place for the stadium near the city would be around the car parks to the west of Commonwealth park. Seems to be more room than on Parks Way and would have less impact on the rest of the city during construction.

I've made this suggestion before too. I think it's the only solution to get a 30,000 stadium.
good luck getting the archbishop to move.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote: June 7, 2022, 1:55 am
greeneyed wrote: June 6, 2022, 3:12 pm

good luck getting the archbishop to move.
Resume if necessary. But it should fit without that.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Do you sleep Fergus ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: June 7, 2022, 6:41 am Do you sleep Fergus ?
He does... in a big bed surrounded by piles of cash and plenty of cats.
CRaid
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by CRaid »

We went to the game on Sunday night and the previous Sunday. No wind, no rain … wore the appropriate clothing (layers of it including mandatory two-socks) and it was balmy. No complaints here.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

CRaid wrote:We went to the game on Sunday night and the previous Sunday. No wind, no rain … wore the appropriate clothing (layers of it including mandatory two-socks) and it was balmy. No complaints here.
It does get me the number of crowd members who turn up in a pair of jeans and a single football jumper.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Here's a promising first public comment from the new Minister for Territories, Kristy McBain, who also happens to be the Member for Eden-Monaro:

"As the minister now responsible for the National Capital Authority, Kristy McBain has also signaled she wants to work with the ACT government on its major infrastructure priorities - including a new sports stadium."

Meanwhile, Senator-in-waiting, David Pocock, has been pressuring Labor on some issues and there are thoughts that they might jump on them in order to claim credit. I'm hoping the stadium is in there alongside Territories' rights.

It seems that Barr remains the big stumbling block to it happening and our best hope is that decides to retire early in favour of someone who is more friendly to square field sports.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Andrew Barr will definitely support the new city stadium if we include a cycle track and get Geocon to build it.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

This is all pointless. We are stuck with this dinosaur of a stadium (once excellent, now well out of date) for at least another decade. Best we can hope for is a fresh coat of paint.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

I dunno azza, labor seemed spooked enough with how the senate results went that this may actually work out in our favour. Pocock also had it as one of his election promises and labor will need to be om his good side to pass legislation in the senate. Barr won't impede it either if we secure enough federal funding. I won't be holding my breath but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Andrew Barr's Civic Stadium comments contradict ACT government's feasibility study

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr's statement a new Civic Stadium could only have a capacity of 20,000 contradicts the government's own feasibility study.

The ACT government's Technical Site Analysis - Canberra Rectangular Stadium, released in 2020, found a 25,000-seat stadium could fit on the Civic site, but would require Parkes Way to move by up to 12 metres.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The bottom line, it looks like they’ve realised that a) it’s very expensive and disruptive to get a 25,000 seat stadium on the Civic Pool site, as they need to move Pakes Way; b) the sports bodies have told them they need a 30,000 seat stadium if top line teams like the Kangaroos are to play there.
Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

The car parks are also part of Commonwealth Park, and as such are on land managed by the National Capital Authority. In other words you'd need the Feds permission to build there, and I highly, highly doubt they'd give it.

If you tried to build there you'd probably also create a bureaucratic nightmare similar to the problems we have with GIO being owned by the Sports Commission, and incite a bunch of very powerful nimbys because of it's effect on Floriade and the visage of the lake and Parliamentary Triangle.

In other words it's almost certainly a no go. If we're being honest with ourselves Civic as a whole is almost certainly a no go at this point.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Badger17 wrote: June 13, 2022, 11:18 pm

The car parks are also part of Commonwealth Park, and as such are on land managed by the National Capital Authority. In other words you'd need the Feds permission to build there, and I highly, highly doubt they'd give it.

If you tried to build there you'd probably also create a bureaucratic nightmare similar to the problems we have with GIO being owned by the Sports Commission, and incite a bunch of very powerful nimbys because of it's effect on Floriade and the visage of the lake and Parliamentary Triangle.

In other words it's almost certainly a no go. If we're being honest with ourselves Civic as a whole is almost certainly a no go at this point.
The obvious answer is to use the Olympic Pool site, go across the road and through the old and crapulous convention centre, forget about some weird and stupid Constitution Avenue axis that is somehow part of the inviolable Griffin plan and have a bloody big north-south stadium integrated with a new and actually real convention centre. All this requires is that the mostly useless western end of Constitution Avenue be recognised as the fairly pointless traffic trap that it is. Build some better access than a one lane death trap to Parkes Way and we're laughing.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote: June 14, 2022, 1:27 am

The obvious answer is to use the Olympic Pool site, go across the road and through the old and crapulous convention centre, forget about some weird and stupid Constitution Avenue axis that is somehow part of the inviolable Griffin plan and have a bloody big north-south stadium integrated with a new and actually real convention centre. All this requires is that the mostly useless western end of Constitution Avenue be recognised as the fairly pointless traffic trap that it is. Build some better access than a one lane death trap to Parkes Way and we're laughing.
Seems reasonable.
Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

greeneyed wrote: June 14, 2022, 1:31 am
Lui_Bon wrote: June 14, 2022, 1:27 am

Seems reasonable.
It's absolutely reasonable, but we all know that it's got buckley's and none of actually happening.
BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by BJ »

Badger17 wrote:

I believe the civic pool also includes NCA land.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: June 5, 2022, 7:37 pm 10 years from now we'll be having the exact same conversation about the need for a new stadium
I think best case scenario is 15-20 years is when we might get one.
It might take that long to build one if they make the decision to go ahead today if your councils/state governments are as hopeless as ours.
The Christchurch Earthquake 22/2/2011 left Christchurch's Stadium a write off.
over 11 years later they still haven't even broken soil on the new enclosed stadium that was originally hoped would be finished in time for the Lions tour of 2017.
They've now had another budget blowout of another 150 million due to rising costs of material etc and are now re-evaluating whether or not to go ahead, or pause and reassess in another 6-12 months.
Meanwhile the crowds are dwindling(especially in winter) as people are no longer willing to part with there hard earned $ to sit in a freezing cold temporary stadium made of scaffolding that originally had a 3 year lifespan
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We shall now see what Pocock actually does.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Giralang hasn't had a shopping centre for 15 years, despite having a site allocated for that puprose and a growing population.

Point is, I can't see a new stadium being built any time soon.

The other point is, it would be ridiculous to build a new stadium with either a smaller, or similar, capacity than the existing one (25k).

Townsville has a 25,000 seat stadium with half the population, and nowhere near the growth projections of the ACT.

If the City can't accommodate a 30k stadium, plus the public transport, pedestrian access and other infrastructure required to support a stadium of that size, there is no point harping on about what the government should do with the Civic pool site. An alternative needs to be found.

No idea why they don't come to an agreement to reinvigorate the AIS precinct and perhaps build a new stadium where the Eastern carpark currently sits. There would be next to no impact on residential areas or traffic and the site is already tied into existing sport facilities. It would likely create havoc with parking while the stadium was being built, but the site is more central than EPIC and that's a better outcome than impacting on everyday commuters in the city.

The pool site can then be used to build a half decent entertainment and convention centre.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If the Stadium is to be rebuilt on the present site it needs hotels, commercial premises etc around it. The AIS is in long term decline due to a shift in the model for sports development. I’m not sure that’s been a good thing, but it does allow young athletes to stay at home, which is a good thing. The whole precinct needs redevelopment.