Coronavirus

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: Coronavirus

Post by T_R »

I think you have tough times coming, Zaius. Take care.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:On the Mudine rant. I challenge you to find a single inaccuracy! I dare you!
Failed to mention that it's a bioweapon activated by the 5G network, obviously.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

What's it going to be like when flu season hits in force? We're already seeing something like 100:1 ratio of tests vs positives.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im a little concerned about the trend to shut down schools... seems to me that kids are carriers but mostly asymptomatic, and certainly not dying

Shutting down schools creates a few problems... firstly a bunch of healthcare workers who are needed are being taken out of action as they're now required to look after their kids... doctors, nurses etc

Secondly and perhaps more importantly, when those people HAVE to go to work, who is it that they'll rely on to look after their kids? Grandparents... who are the real risk.

I dont think shutting down schools is a good thing
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:Im a little concerned about the trend to shut down schools... seems to me that kids are carriers but mostly asymptomatic, and certainly not dying

Shutting down schools creates a few problems... firstly a bunch of healthcare workers who are needed are being taken out of action as they're now required to look after their kids... doctors, nurses etc

Secondly and perhaps more importantly, when those people HAVE to go to work, who is it that they'll rely on to look after their kids? Grandparents... who are the real risk.

This is spot on, particularly the second point.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: March 13, 2020, 8:41 pm Im a little concerned about the trend to shut down schools... seems to me that kids are carriers but mostly asymptomatic, and certainly not dying

Yep, the knock on effect of closing schools would be huge.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The whole economy will shut down in the next two weeks.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

They should just hire a few teams of young goons to shakeup cities, herding people back into their own homes and welding the doors and windows shut - seems to have worked in another country.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:The whole economy will shut down in the next two weeks.

People will be pulling knives on each other for a can of tuna at Woolworths in the next 10 days.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Soceities will crumble. Power will shift.
The masses will rise agianst the elites... the purge is coming

and from it's ashes a new world will emerge

A simplier world.
A better world.

TR. Your days are numbered.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@Dr Zaius... if you get coronavirus and recover, can you get it again, or do you have immunity? Or don't they know yet?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:@Dr Zaius... if you get coronavirus and recover, can you get it again, or do you have immunity? Or don't they know yet?
I'm a bit out of the loop, being os for the last two weeks. You would assume a period of immunity, but I'm not sure that has been confirmed
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Watch and see. It'll be grocery, petrol and pharmacy only.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

GE I'm more thinking - exposure, isolation, didn't get it. Another exposure, more isolation. Rinse repeat. If lucky will get in on the first go and not have to worry about it. Provided immunity is confirmed
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thanks @Dr Zaius. I reckon we're all going to get it... at some stage. Or a very large proportion of us are. So hopefully you build immunity!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm not fussed

2 or 3 weeks off work, suits me fine

One thing it demonstrates is how much the media controls society and behaviour. The health experts telling people to chill the **** out and just be aware of it, especially if you have other conditions. The media are basically ringing the doomsday bell and whipping people into panic mode

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think people trawling social media do a good job of it.
Latching on to anything that increases their anxiety.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2020, 9:21 pm @Dr Zaius... if you get coronavirus and recover, can you get it again, or do you have immunity? Or don't they know yet?
I've linked it before, but it's in this repeatedly updated science backed feature:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03 ... ronavirus/

They don't know yet.
There's a lot of useful information there on other questions too.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:Im a little concerned about the trend to shut down schools... seems to me that kids are carriers but mostly asymptomatic, and certainly not dying

100% If they shut schools down, they have to shut down everything else, so parents can stay at home.

We’re being to to expect an announcement to work from home full time, but our servers won’t allow for the whole workforce to do this, so business critical roles will be full time, and teams like us will log in on an as needs basis
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Sorry to disappoint but apparently at least one person has gotten it a second time.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.lat ... f_amp=true
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Manbush wrote:Sorry to disappoint but apparently at least one person has gotten it a second time.

I heard about that. Aren’t they saying they were released too early?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hearing a rumour that a couple of major schools here in Brisbane will announce closure for Monday and the rest will likely follow.

It's going to happen so sooner better than later IMO.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Manbush wrote:Sorry to disappoint but apparently at least one person has gotten it a second time.

I heard about that. Aren’t they saying they were released too early?
That's what I saw, they weren't properly treated

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Coronavirus

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:If you're locking the gates and laying low in the bunker for a few months, TR. Make sure to save space for our old friend @The Nickman
He's been in a full blown panic about this for a few weeks now. We've had to talk him off the ledge a few times
Boy this post aged well, old friend

About as well as your comment to me that this thing would be no more than a *checks notes* “pimple on the **** of SARS” after I’d first raised my concerns when China had about 250 cases
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: March 14, 2020, 10:51 am
Botman wrote:If you're locking the gates and laying low in the bunker for a few months, TR. Make sure to save space for our old friend @The Nickman
He's been in a full blown panic about this for a few weeks now. We've had to talk him off the ledge a few times

About as well as your comment to me that this thing would be no more than a *checks notes* “pimple on the **** of SARS” after I’d first raised my concerns when China had about 250 cases
Is it true your recent absence is due to you stockpiling toilet paper?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: March 14, 2020, 10:51 am

Is it true your recent absence is due to you stockpiling toilet paper?
Man’s gotta eat, NR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

zim wrote:
greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2020, 9:21 pm @Dr Zaius... if you get coronavirus and recover, can you get it again, or do you have immunity? Or don't they know yet?
I've linked it before, but it's in this repeatedly updated science backed feature:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03 ... ronavirus/

They don't know yet.
There's a lot of useful information there on other questions too.
Fantastic. Thanks
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I find the whole 'we won't test you unless you've been overseas in the last 14 days or had contact with a confirmed case' position unhelpful.

All it takes is transmission to a single local going undetected, and its off spreading through the populous like wildfire, and all the people it hits from there go undiagnosed because there's no apparent link to a confirmed case and testing is refused.

Its pretty much a given that we have many more cases than the official numbers suggest, because the testing is so limited. Yes, resources are not unlimited, but if you don't expand tests to the general public at all, then you'll have a much larger number of infected people walking around cluelessly spreading it further.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I’ve had a cough and sore throat for a few days. Thought it wise to book an appointment with the doctor. 15 minutes before the appointment, I get a text saying “xyz doctor is not seeing patients with cold/flu symptoms”.

So I give them a call “you need to organise an after hours doctor to come over and assess you”.

I give the after hours doc service a call “call us back after hours”.

In the meantime I do some research and given I haven’t got a temperature, I’m considered unlikely to have it. And I figure if I’m managing it just fine, I should save the after hours doctors time for genuinely ill patients who could well be killed it (the elderly).

Speak to the doctor surgery again today and they now say I can come in, but without a temperature I won’t be referred to the testing facility. Obviously there are a lot of germs there and a very high likelihood of Covid being present, so a lot more risk of catching it if I don’t have it already.

So in the meantime, I’m isolated at home and cancel my weekend plans.

A home testing kit would be great! If the kit comes up “Red” it indicates you have the virus and then you visit one of the designated Covid testing labs to confirm it with a positive finding.

Probably only take 2 years to roll out something like that!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Its a crap time of the year as a lot of allergy sufferers get symptoms similar to those reported

Plus every time you cough people hex you as well..

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

New Zealand just effectively closed its borders.

Coronavirus: Everyone coming to New Zealand must isolate for 14 days, Prime Minister Ardern says: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... 9-outbreak
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seems pretty sensible to me. Still happy to trade PMs whenever you want NZ.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Coronavirus

Post by The Nickman »

Sterlk wrote:I find the whole 'we won't test you unless you've been overseas in the last 14 days or had contact with a confirmed case' position unhelpful.

All it takes is transmission to a single local going undetected, and its off spreading through the populous like wildfire, and all the people it hits from there go undiagnosed because there's no apparent link to a confirmed case and testing is refused.

Its pretty much a given that we have many more cases than the official numbers suggest, because the testing is so limited. Yes, resources are not unlimited, but if you don't expand tests to the general public at all, then you'll have a much larger number of infected people walking around cluelessly spreading it further.
Yeah, this is what I don’t understand either. It’s either already passing person to person here or it’s going to anyway, why only test people who’ve had exposure to someone overseas?

Just doesn’t make sense to me. I’ve said it time and time again, only South Korea is handling this correctly, and they are testing absolutely EVERYBODY.

On a scale of South Korea to America, I know where I want to be. Get ready for America to explode into a complete **** show in the next two weeks. They are genuinely completely screwed.