Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Northern Raider »

From the F1 website:

The 2020 Chinese Grand Prix, which had been scheduled for April 17-19, has been postponed as a result of the novel coronavirus outbreak.

The Chinese Grand Prix Promoter, Juss Sports Group, officially requested the postponement after ongoing discussions with the Federation of Automobile and Motorcycle Sports of People's Republic of China (CAMF) and Shanghai Administration of Sports.

Amid continued health concerns and with the World Health Organisation declaring the coronavirus as a global health emergency, Formula 1, together with governing body the FIA, jointly decided to accept the postponement request in order to ensure the health and safety of the travelling staff, championship participants and fans.

Formula 1 and the FIA will continue to work closely with the teams, race promoter, CAMF and the local authorities to monitor the situation as it develops, with all parties studying the viability of potential alternative dates for the Grand Prix later in the year should the situation improve.

"The Chinese Grand Prix has always been a very important part of the F1 calendar and the fans are always incredible," Formula 1 said in a statement. "We all look forward to racing in China as soon as possible and wish everyone in the country the best during this difficult time."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 9hj4s.html
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Imola have submitted a proposal to stand in for the Chinese GP
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Im on a flight to Taiwan this evening. According to the seating map, there are only 14 people on the flight

Bet the bastards still wont upgrade me, of course.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: February 22, 2020, 7:49 am Im on a flight to Taiwan this evening. According to the seating map, there are only 14 people on the flight Image

Good luck. Hopefully we see you back in Australia one day.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:Im on a flight to Taiwan this evening. According to the seating map, there are only 14 people on the flight Image

Hate to ruin it for you, but I don't think that you can be upgraded from first class.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:
T_R wrote: February 22, 2020, 7:49 am Im on a flight to Taiwan this evening. According to the seating map, there are only 14 people on the flight Image

Good luck. Hopefully we see you back in Australia one day.
Two relaxing weeks at stunning Christmas Island!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dr Zaius wrote:
T_R wrote:Im on a flight to Taiwan this evening. According to the seating map, there are only 14 people on the flight Image

Hate to ruin it for you, but I don't think that you can be upgraded from first class.
Someone's got to fly the thing

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

How's the bottom line looking, @T_R?

We've got out trip to Japan coming up in April and whilst we're not worried about the virus itself, we are worried about how it's going to impact our trip.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Down about $1 million turnover in the last three weeks. So, pretty crap.

Just arrived in Taiwan. Lots of masks being worn, but no major concerns beyond that. Flights and hotels all empty though.

My wife got back from Japan on Thursday. Much worse there.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There are masks being worn in Canberra. Maybe we just got used to it after the bushfires.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: February 23, 2020, 8:14 pm My wife got back from Japan on Thursday. Much worse there.
Sh... should we be worried about our trip? or have they got a bit under control?

I wont complain if the results are that foot traffic is down for universial and disney, but if they start cancelling flights and closing **** down, it's really going to upset me
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Dunno. Aus government has issued a ' Exercise high degree of caution' notice for Japan. That's huge. Anything higher and it starts messing with your travel insurance.

Japan has nine million Chinese tourists a year. At the moment, there are none. Hotels are going to be crazy cheap and you'll be pretty much able to walk around places like Kyoto in the nude ... you'll have them to yourself.

The issue may also be getting home. Taiwan has just whacked a compulsory 14 day quarantine on arrivals from Japan and Korea. When I arrived here yesterday, all Japan flights (there are normally about 4 an hour) had been cancelled.

Can't read it yet, but I wouldn't be packing my bags at this point.

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

A good measure of how worried people actually are is whether employers can be convinced to give their staff paid quarantine leave, if they've been to nearby countries recently (excl. China).

I tried, and failed.

Verdict: people like to obsess over the news coverage but aren't at all concerned within Australia yet.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

We won’t get anything like that. We’ll just be told to work from home. Working from home is part of our business continuity plan. Everyone’s set up
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

It's on, kiddies.ImageImage

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Take care of yourself TR

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

They better not cancel any Raiders games. :rant

This coronavirus has broken into the backfield with only the fullback to beat.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

motogp in disarray, Qatar cancelled and Thailand postponed

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

My mum has had some health problems in the last 18 months, so coronavirus scares the hell out of me.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Just had my usual March conference in Italy cancelled. On the plus side, first year in a decade I'm home for the Raiders first game.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Perhaps its the optimist in me, but im still feeling pretty good about our trip to Japan.

If Disney/US etc all open up again after this two week period, and the current travel advisory holds at exercise caution, then we've made the decision to go ahead with our trip.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I had 2 conferences this week. One at Gold Coast which is 1 hour drive and the other in Orlando which is 30 hour flight. Both going ahead but I went with the former. Better chance of getting home again.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

So, be honest. How many of you stocked up on toilet paper?

Complete insanity, really. Those nutjobs buying multiple packs of 48 rolls from Costco are going to have unnecessary toilet paper taking up space for a year or more.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Nothing gives me the **** like being unable to buy toilet paper.

It’s an unfortunate combination...
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

We didn't and I think we're down to 3 or 4 rolls - which ain't a lot with a wife and 2 daughters. I'll be out on the streets begging for **** roll by Friday.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sterlk wrote:So, be honest. How many of you stocked up on toilet paper?

Complete insanity, really. Those nutjobs buying multiple packs of 48 rolls from Costco are going to have unnecessary toilet paper taking up space for a year or more.
I came in here to ask the same thing. Crazy. I’ll be using the Shower if things get desperate.

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

This made me lol

Nickman's love of NSW
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

T_R wrote: February 5, 2020, 1:48 pm For me, the absolute worst case outcome of this is Nickman showing up looking for somewhere to stay.
Are you sure that’s the worst case outcome mate ? ;)
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

gangrenous wrote: February 8, 2020, 2:28 pm Wish I had face mask shares...
And toilet paper shares!
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 4, 2020, 5:32 pm

I came in here to ask the same thing. Crazy. I’ll be using the Shower if things get desperate.
I'm binge watching 'Doomsday Preppers'.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Manbush wrote:
gangrenous wrote: February 8, 2020, 2:28 pm Wish I had face mask shares...
And toilet paper shares!
Kimberly Clark (owns Kleenex) share price has gone up $10 in the last week

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sterlk wrote: March 4, 2020, 5:04 pm So, be honest. How many of you stocked up on toilet paper?

My wife always has us stocked up
She got caught short once as a kid, and it was apparently tramatic enough to require her to need at least 30 rolls in the house at all times.
So we're ahead of the curb
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 4, 2020, 5:32 pm

I coincidentally had to get some since I was running out anyway, but a normal 8-pack was fine.

Scarcity drives demand - or the impression of it at least - since there's not going to be any shortages beyond what the panic-buying crowd are causing.

Its somewhat ironic that the toilet paper manufacturers aren't going to make any additional profit out of this. They'll get a heap of money now, but the people stocking up are essentially removing themselves from the toilet paper market for a year or two until they've used up their supply. The total amount purchased won't significantly change, it'll just be front-loaded.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:
Sterlk wrote: March 4, 2020, 5:04 pm So, be honest. How many of you stocked up on toilet paper?

My wife always has us stocked up
She got caught short once as a kid, and it was apparently tramatic enough to require her to need at least 30 rolls in the house at all times.
So we're ahead of the curb
Same, we’re a Who gives a crap household. Our last order got us ahead of the curve.

Wait... what’s that saying? Ahead of the curb or curve?

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Google tells me its ahead of the curve... either way we're good for bog rolls here in the botman household