The Politics Thread 2021

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by Dr Zaius »

Christ they are toxic. Imagine Dutton being more pleasant to work with.

"The NSW Premier has told Liberal colleagues she’d have preferred that Peter Dutton had won the last federal leadership ballot – she’d rather be dealing with Dutton because Morrison is so unpleasant, she’s said. She’s described the PM as a “bully”."

https://www.smh.com.au/national/even-be ... 58mde.html
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

**** right off

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:**** right off

I got one too
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Labor MP's reply to Craig Kelly who spammed every MP
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:Christ they are toxic. Imagine Dutton being more pleasant to work with.

"The NSW Premier has told Liberal colleagues she’d have preferred that Peter Dutton had won the last federal leadership ballot – she’d rather be dealing with Dutton because Morrison is so unpleasant, she’s said. She’s described the PM as a “bully”."

https://www.smh.com.au/national/even-be ... 58mde.html
Damning article.

Don’t **** this up Australia.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

There been posts removed here?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Strange stance to take in a state with no lockdown, kids at school, and the same access to vaccines as everyone else.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:Strange stance to take in a state with no lockdown, kids at school, and the same access to vaccines as everyone else.

He was an excellent mayor for Brisbane, and turned out to be a a colossal wanker
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 29, 2021, 10:30 am
Coastalraider wrote:Strange stance to take in a state with no lockdown, kids at school, and the same access to vaccines as everyone else.

He was an excellent mayor for Brisbane, and turned out to be a a colossal wanker
The comments were quite telling, when I looked it was universal condemnation. I thought he would have his own band of crazys supporting him but it wasn’t visible.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gangrenous wrote:There been posts removed here?
My bad, got mixed up with the same article in the Covid thread!
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

NSW looking to open up to international travel once vaccine targets are met.

I will be glad once our lockdown finishes for once and for all and the govt pushes its resources into vaccinations and updated vaccinations instead of harsher control measures.

All of us NSW can feel very reassured by the govts of qld / WA that they will continue to add intellectual capacity to help australian citizens solve their problems.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Am I bad for wishing that Craig Kelly would just **** off and die already?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

From COVID or ivermectin OD?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just got around to watch Part two of this today. Worth watching.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:From COVID or ivermectin OD?
Covid. But I hadn't considered the possibility of ivermectin overdose. This is hard. Can he die twice?
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

I'll believe it when I see it...
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Just reading about the victorian ZLEV tax.

A Victorian Labor government taxing electric vehicle usage.

Now realistically if there is a shortfall on road funding then just increase the fuel excise - I say this as my family currently runs two petrol cars. Although the next vehicle I buy will probably be electric.

Its announcements like this which is why I (and I suspect many others will) will find it difficult to vote labor. You just cant shake the feeling they are going to tax you more, at their core, they feel like a party that wants to redistribute wealth away from anyone they can get their hands on.

Honestly, if the labor party can't even get behind environmental movements such as electric vehicles that is a bit sad.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

papabear wrote: September 17, 2021, 1:03 pm Just reading about the victorian ZLEV tax.

Now realistically if there is a shortfall on road funding then just increase the fuel excise - I say this as my family currently runs two petrol cars. Although the next vehicle I buy will probably be electric.

Its announcements like this which is why I (and I suspect many others will) will find it difficult to vote labor. You just cant shake the feeling they are going to tax you more, at their core, they feel like a party that wants to redistribute wealth away from anyone they can get their hands on.

Honestly, if the labor party can't even get behind environmental movements such as electric vehicles that is a bit sad.
No issue being against that particular state tax. I read that it may be the subject of a HC challenge. I also note you place the above example in a broader point that there is a perception that Labor is the higher taxing party.

However I will say it would certainly be a strange area to specifically make the case against Labor, seeing as they have a federal policy to slash taxes on non-luxury EVs, whereas the LNP policy appears to be that EVs represent a "war on the weekend" (remember that nice little pre-election soundbite?).
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2021

Post by gangrenous »

papabear wrote: they feel like a party that wants to redistribute wealth away from anyone they can get their hands on.
Inequality is getting worse. We could use some redistribution.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 17, 2021, 3:37 pm
papabear wrote: September 17, 2021, 1:03 pm Just reading about the victorian ZLEV tax.

No issue being against that particular state tax. I read that it may be the subject of a HC challenge. I also note you place the above example in a broader point that there is a perception that Labor is the higher taxing party.

However I will say it would certainly be a strange area to specifically make the case against Labor, seeing as they have a federal policy to slash taxes on non-luxury EVs, whereas the LNP policy appears to be that EVs represent a "war on the weekend" (remember that nice little pre-election soundbite?).
Labor should be strong on Health, Education and the Environment.

If it can stay strong on the above three and just not touch anything else, they would see a lot more election success.

In particular the environment, nobody voting for the coalition thinks they are going to be a party strong on the environment. But it is sad that Labor isnt strong here.

Just like I am more damning on the coalition when they do stupid **** on the economy / taxes, because if they arent strong here what are they good for... I do the same for labor and the environment.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Maybe we should just evaluate each party on what they do in each area instead of giving the LNP a pass on the environment because you expect them to be **** on it?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Just as we go on with our daily lives, doing what needs doing.

Remember this..Barnaby is in charge.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: September 20, 2021, 7:39 pm Maybe we should just evaluate each party on what they do in each area instead of giving the LNP a pass on the environment because you expect them to be **** on it?
obviously, i evaluate each on what they do.

But again and I thought my point was obvious, if a certain party says economy, economy, economy.... and that party runs a **** economy you are going to be more damning on that then a party who says education education education, who runs a **** economy but educates well.. You think well, they atleast did what they said they would do...

For me, the environment is probably the second most important factor behind taxation, and when I have voted greens / labor over the last 20 years, the reason why.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Aunty Gladys about to step out

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Why would she resign? I thought she was just unlucky in love?
Up The Milk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Should never buy gifts/rifle ranges for your fwb

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’ll see if they’re hiring at the wire mill.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Ding dong.

Who do we all think will take the reigns? Constance had a crack when Baird left. Would he go again?

I fear it’ll be Perrotet. I’m anti-him, purely on his handling of the NSW Workers Comp scheme
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Ding dong.

Who do we all think will take the reigns? Constance had a crack when Baird left. Would he go again?

I fear it’ll be Perrotet. I’m anti-him, purely on his handling of the NSW Workers Comp scheme
I like Constance, as a Labor heartland Lib preferring sort of person.
I can cop Barilaro too but obviously he can't be the leader

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

bonehead wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Ding dong.

I like Constance, as a Labor heartland Lib preferring sort of person.
I can cop Barilaro too but obviously he can't be the leader

I don’t mind Constance. I just wish he’d cheer up a little. Always sounds depressed.

Also, with O’Farrell, Baird now Gladys, it’s been a while NSW has had a legit leadership change.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Go Gladys.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I cannot believe the almost universal fawning and minimising that is happening across the media as tributes flow for Gladys.

It is as if the fact she is facing pretty serious corruption allegations is just a trivial footnote.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think the issue is that (outside of the charges obviously) she’s been a pretty good leader. She has a lot of trust and association with COVID and people would like to see her continue to steer the ship through the opening phase.

Then couple that with the extremely high likelihood of getting someone clearly worse.

Plus you have the juxtaposition of the ****s in the federal LNP who continue to swan on through the absence of federal ICAC who are in far more urgent need of removal.

Plus you had a strong female leader who appealed to a large segment who appreciate that.

And one of the biggest factors is a highly Liberal leaning mainstream media which has helped her through being generally supportive and measured with criticism. That flows into the social consciousness. Guarantee in the same conditions Dan Andrews is getting crucified.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

That is all fine and Don’t even mind if people want to anoint her as the greatest leader of all time across Western civilisation…and yet it has precisely zero relevance to the broader issue and my concerns.

I find it so troubling that the standards of probity we expect from those within public office seem to be in free fall over the last decade or so.

And I agree with the media part. I know there are some on this forum who would have you believe the influence of the media is negligible but anyone with any sense of perception would be able to recognise that Andrews and Gladys are covered by completely different standards across the Costello/Murdoch press.

If Andrews was succumbing to ICAC the headlines would be an absolute bloodbath.
Up The Milk