The Politics Thread 2021

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: The Politics Thread 2021

Post by gangrenous »

I’m just rationalising why you’re seeing fawning and disappointment.

Understandable that people are going to have complicated feelings when the correct outcome occurs, but the result of that will be a worse outcome in the eyes of most. C’est la vie.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Cool so this is the next leader of NSW?

AH yes the poor right are being silenced by only having about having multiple TV networks and dozens of papers to express their views.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Precisely
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote:I’m just rationalising why you’re seeing fawning and disappointment.

Understandable that people are going to have complicated feelings when the correct outcome occurs, but the result of that will be a worse outcome in the eyes of most. C’est la vie.
Elements of the media are essentially doing their best to ignore things that are even on the public record, which explain the ICAC investigation. Like what was said on taped phone conversations.

Very little accountability from some of the mainstream media for some significant failings.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/10/01/gl ... judgments/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Argh. I'm pretty sure that Perrottet on at least one occasion pushed for a let it rip strategy. On the plus side, I'm pretty sure he also played hardball with the Feds to get assistance funding in the current outbreak. Still, not really the bloke that you want in charge at this delicate stage. Or ever for that matter.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/lib ... 58wny.html
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Yep. We might all be in agreement that we don’t want Perrottet here… which is a big concern
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

What's the go with Rob Stokes?

Haven't heard much about him

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gangrenous wrote:Yep. We might all be in agreement that we don’t want Perrottet here… which is a big concern Image
I like Constance but haven't seen his name put forward.
Can't have Perrotett, what 39yo father of 6 has time to run a state?

Shame Barilaro is a Nat

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Constance is quitting

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:Constance is quitting

yeah that's a shame, hopefully he'd changed his mind seemed a decent bloke who got his projects done

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

The Politics Thread 2021

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

bonehead wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Yep. We might all be in agreement that we don’t want Perrottet here… which is a big concern Image
I like Constance but haven't seen his name put forward.
Can't have Perrotett, what 39yo father of 6 has time to run a state?

Shame Barilaro is a Nat

Yeah I was reading on ABC News yesterday he apparently burnt some bridges in the Liberal party with his crack at Mike Kelly’s vacant seat.

Lost a lot of support in NSW Libs as a result.

I used to find it funny he was Transport Minister, when the only train in his electorate was a cafe in Cobargo.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

bonehead wrote:

yeah that's a shame, hopefully he'd changed his mind seemed a decent bloke who got his projects done

Looks like he's going into federal politics

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-03/ ... /100510476

Got my respect in the bushfires, Stood up for his electorate even calling out the pm on occasions

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:
bonehead wrote:

Looks like he's going into federal politics

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-03/ ... /100510476

Got my respect in the bushfires, Stood up for his electorate even calling out the pm on occasions

yeah exactly that was when I first noticed him then working in transport industry he's always impressed me. I do like a polly who can come down to average Joe level.
I like that Barilaro isn't super Sydneycentric and that's what ground my gears with Gladys

Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Barilaro?!

I’d think you’d struggle to convince me there’s anyone of value in the Nats.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Argh

Dominic Perrottet set to become NSW Premier and replace Gladys Berejiklian after deal struck
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-03/ ... /100510934
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Barilaro gone as well
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

what a great guy to have in the top job.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Barilaro now gone

papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Schifty wrote: October 4, 2021, 8:57 am

what a great guy to have in the top job.
That is a pretty damning video.

I am never a fan of taking an argument to its extreme to make a point.

Religious freedoms have always been violated when they are out of touch with community expectations and laws. For example, you would have a hard time making a human sacrifice under the guide of religous freedom anymore. Or more recently services as sacrement methods changing to be more covid friendly. For example in the spanish flu times a lot of christian sacraments had the wine out of a communal cup, that obviously changed.

We all operate under the law religion is no exception.

Also shouldnt the civil/criminal punishment be part of the repentance process in terms of your interactions with the community you live in?

It is an odd thing we have in this state when generally the most sane, efficient well run ones tends to get done for corruption regardless of which party.

I was a touch sad about Gladys she was a good premier for NSW and imo looked out of all the state leaders to come across the most competent.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is breakfast television... and the person concerned is not actually a journalist... but that has to be some of the worst "journalism" you'll ever see.

If the public (or the journalist) don't understand what ICAC is, or does, or how it is governed, then surely it is the responsibility of the program to inform their audience (and for the journalist to find out before posing questions to the Prime Minister). Not promulgate some fallacies... like NSW ICAC processes do not presume innocence. Or to argue that corruption in politics is somehow OK.

The approach of some of the mainstream media has been outright disgraceful in recent months.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think Dom will make a great premier.....one could only dream of a Liberal party without Matt Kean though
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:I think Dom will make a great premier.....one could only dream of a Liberal party without Matt Kean though
I think we are polar opposite

Edrick The Entertainer
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

dubby wrote: October 6, 2021, 6:17 am I think Dom will make a great premier.....one could only dream of a Liberal party without Matt Kean though
is that a post to support a religous comrade?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

“We won’t be rushed on net zero” - the Nationals, 3,000 days after forming government.
Up The Milk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Anybody watching the ICAC stuff. PJs girlfriend, Gladys not looking so good. How she can sit there and say she didn't give her boyfriend (not PJ, the other one) preferential treatment after listening to herself saying she'll give him hundreds of millions of taxpayer funds, for projects, is crazy.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I’ve been hearing drips and drabs of it, but I’ve noticed all the “We stand by you Gladys” “Come back Gladys” style posts on LinkedIn have vanished since this started
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I watched a bit yesterday and Friday. I did smile at the meme which went something like. “Turns out Gladys is the only ex girlfriend in history not able to recall a single thing”.

This is the critical thing…

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

ScoMo should punch this Macron fella square in the face..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

-PJ- wrote: November 2, 2021, 11:24 am ScoMo should punch this Macron fella square in the face..
Yeah I'm glad he stood up for all of us in response to Macron's attack on Australians.

Initially I thought he was attacking Morrison in a personal capacity, especially when Manny went at lengths to differentiate his feelings towards our people and our shared history; and his feelings towards one dude who happens to hold the PM's office.

But once the big guy wrapped himself in the flag and personified himself as "Australia" all the doubts melted away and I was right behind him.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

What’d Macron do? Seems hard to see him as the bad guy from what I’d seen to date.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote: November 2, 2021, 6:39 pm What’d Macron do? Seems hard to see him as the bad guy from what I’d seen to date.
Well, he accused our ScoMo of lying. ScoMo responded by leaking private texts that showed that perhaps he did not actually lie.

Now, I personally hope that a nuclear submarine drops out of the sky and crushes the lodge while ScoMo is having one of his little BBQs, but in this isolated case I feel a little sympathy for him. Was he gauche? Yes. Boorish? Almost certainly. But I'm far from convinced that he in fact lied.

Macron has come across as a little whiney on this one to me, and probably needs a slap. If the war between the Mongol Empire and Khwarezmian Empire in 1218 - or indeed the Toyotomi bell poetry incident at Osaka Castle - taught us nothing else, surely it was that in diplomacy one needs to use a little bit more measured language than elsewhere.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote: November 2, 2021, 6:39 pm What’d Macron do? Seems hard to see him as the bad guy from what I’d seen to date.
As an aside, the Toyotomi Bell Poetry incident, which directly led to the end of the Sengokujidai, the extinguishment of the Toyotomi bloodline and the enthronement of Tokugawa as unquestioned ruler of Japan, also teaches us the destructive force of bad haiku.

Something to reflect on.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

**** that cheese eating surrender monkey

I mean i dont really understand what the **** australian needs subs for, like the greatest risk to this country is some country landing on our shore in darwin and what? marching on the capital from there? Good luck to them on that journey

If australia comes into any kind of serious conflict i doubt the best subs in the world will save us when it's drones, nukes and cyber warefare that's going on... so im pretty out on paying even a dollar for submarines but also, the french are really being ramping up the sooking on this to 11.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R wrote:
As an aside, the Toyotomi Bell Poetry incident, which directly led to the end of the Sengokujidai, the extinguishment of the Toyotomi bloodline and the enthronement of Tokugawa as unquestioned ruler of Japan, also teaches us the destructive force of bad haiku.

Something to reflect on.
What is the problem
Between ScoMo and Macron
Sub standard contracts
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Macron calls ScoMo
A liar, but did he get
Morrison’s subtext