Rugby League 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Rugby League 2021

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 27, 2021, 6:21 pm
-PJ- wrote:And this from Phil Rothfield in today’s Sunday Telegraph sports pages..

Top 10 Origin commentators
1. Ray Warren
2. Darrell Eastlake
3. Joey Johns
4. Gus Gould
5. Jack Gibson
6. Ken Sutcliffe
7. Fatty Vautin
8. Ian Maurice
9. Billy Slater
10. Paul Gallen

Ha..this is a beat up right ?
You can tell this is bogus when Roy and HG didn’t make the list
Now those were great calls eh Fui ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-PJ- wrote:
-PJ- wrote:And this from Phil Rothfield in today’s Sunday Telegraph sports pages..

1. Ray Warren
2. Darrell Eastlake
3. Joey Johns
4. Gus Gould
5. Jack Gibson
6. Ken Sutcliffe
7. Fatty Vautin
8. Ian Maurice
9. Billy Slater
10. Paul Gallen

They were the best. Should be there instead of Gal and Slater
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 27, 2021, 6:37 pm
-PJ- wrote:

1. Ray Warren
2. Darrell Eastlake
3. Joey Johns
4. Gus Gould
5. Jack Gibson
6. Ken Sutcliffe
7. Fatty Vautin
8. Ian Maurice
9. Billy Slater
10. Paul Gallen

The nicknames they gave the players were just gold.

Of course I can’t remember a lot of them but the Smith brothers from QLD..Darren and Jason were called “salt and vinegar”
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

-PJ- wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 27, 2021, 6:37 pm
-PJ- wrote:

1. Ray Warren
2. Darrell Eastlake
3. Joey Johns
4. Gus Gould
5. Jack Gibson
6. Ken Sutcliffe
7. Fatty Vautin
8. Ian Maurice
9. Billy Slater
10. Paul Gallen

The nicknames they gave the players were just gold.

Of course I can’t remember a lot of them but the Smith brothers from QLD..Darren and Jason were called “salt and vinegar”
Unmade bed was Andrew Johns
Butterball Buderus
Fridge and a Freezer Civoniceva
Tim Tam Tahu and Giddy Up Gidley
Pastor Stevens

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Lazarus was Brick with Eyes
Tim Tam Tahu
Greg Bird was The Personality because he grew a moustache
Mark Gasnier was Shimmy Shimmy Whoosh
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Lazarus was Brick with Eyes
Tim Tam Tahu
Greg Bird was The Personality because he grew a moustache
Mark Gasnier was Shimmy Shimmy Whoosh
Gasnier was also fire up bitch after the voicemail incident

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

John Hopa was Stinkfist.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Wasn’t Nathan Hindmarsh something like Coinslot?

I’m pretty sure I remember someone called Buttocks also

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yeah cause he always lost his shorts.

The buttocks was Buttigieg wasn't it?

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Triple M foreshadowing Cleary season ending surgery

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Anyone else surprised dugan breached covid protocols? Would have to be the bookies favourite to have done it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

bonehead wrote:Triple M foreshadowing Cleary season ending surgery

Or is this one of those Qld ploys, where he’ll be on deaths door, only to make a miraculous recovery for Origin 3?

Nickman's love of NSW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Paul Green steps down as Queensland Maroons coach after one year

Paul Green's time as coach of the Queensland Maroons has ended after just one year. The Maroons announced on Tuesday that Green had agreed to their wish for "greater certainty" around the role going into the future.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/09/07/gre ... -one-year/

Statement from the Queensland Rugby League

Queensland Rugby League has today outlined its plans to provide greater stability to its men’s State of Origin program by appointing a coach with the capabilities and desire to be in the role long term.

This view has been shared with 2021 coach Paul Green, who said today he understood the QRL’s need for certainty and as such would not pursue a new term.

“After much consultation and discussion post the Origin series, both the QRL and I have decided to move in different directions,” Green said.

“The basis for this is simple, the QRL wants to ensure that they have certainty around the Origin coach not wanting to pursue an NRL head coach job, and whilst I could give them that certainty for the 2021 series, I cannot guarantee that this would be the case in the future.

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/09/07/ ... s---green/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Poor tigers if they pick up Green.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That would be a step backwards

But that seems to be the Tigers MO

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Elcaptcroker wrote:Anyone else surprised dugan breached covid protocols? Would have to be the bookies favourite to have done it
I’m a bit late with the response. I put $100 on Dugan to break protocol, I won $101. No easier way to make a dollar.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Slater confirmed as new Queensland Maroons coach

Queensland Rugby League is pleased to confirm the appointment of Billy Slater as head coach of the Queensland Maroons for the next two years. A fiercely proud Queenslander who represented his state in 31 State of Origin matches, the Slater surname is embedded in the culture of the Maroons and rugby league across Queensland.

“I’m very honoured to be able to have been involved with the Queensland State of Origin team… firstly as a supporter when I was a young boy, inspired by the team, then I got the opportunity to play for Queensland and be one of those players, and now I get the chance to help guide and help bring through the next generation,” Slater said.

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/09/24/ ... ons-coach/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: September 24, 2021, 9:37 am Billy Slater confirmed as new Queensland Maroons coach

Queensland Rugby League is pleased to confirm the appointment of Billy Slater as head coach of the Queensland Maroons for the next two years. A fiercely proud Queenslander who represented his state in 31 State of Origin matches, the Slater surname is embedded in the culture of the Maroons and rugby league across Queensland.

“I’m very honoured to be able to have been involved with the Queensland State of Origin team… firstly as a supporter when I was a young boy, inspired by the team, then I got the opportunity to play for Queensland and be one of those players, and now I get the chance to help guide and help bring through the next generation,” Slater said.

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2021/09/24/ ... ons-coach/
Pashun..only Qlders get it..
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I'm going to throw some dice out and predict the starting halves for the NRL expansion team.

6. Cameron Munster
7. Sam Walker
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Farewell to Benji Barba as that galoot dave smith once called him. Grew on me over the years tbh, regardless of us making him look 100x better every time we played them.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Azza wrote:Farewell to Benji Barba as that galoot dave smith once called him. Grew on me over the years tbh, regardless of us making him look 100x better every time we played them.
I really liked benji, a game changing player but 1 year too many - this year he was a side show and a wasted bench spot in the decider

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

They’ll find a chair for him on FoxLeague right ?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-PJ- wrote:They’ll find a chair for him on FoxLeague right ?
I hope so, he's polished

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

He's been there before so don't think he'll have an issue squeezing back in.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dolphins given new franchise

The NRL Premiership will expand to 17 teams from the 2023 season after the Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) approved the grant of a new licence to “The Dolphins”.

The Commission approved both the expansion of the competition and The Dolphins as the successful bid for the 17th licence after accepting the recommendation of the Expansion Bid Assessment Committee.

Importantly this decision is part of the ARLC’s overall plan to grow the game in all parts of Queensland. Working with the Queensland Rugby League, the Brisbane Broncos, Gold Coast Titans, North Queensland Cowboys and now the Dolphins to ensure we have a presence across the State, investing in participation and pathways for men and women for the future.

To encourage growth in participation and pathways across southeast Queensland, The Dolphins have agreed to invest $1 million per annum on grassroots rugby league and pathways as well as an additional $1 million per annum on women’s rugby league pathways and development. The club will be required to submit an annual budget for Commission approval which sets out how the $2 million in funding will be spent each year.

The expanded 17-team competition will see the NRL Telstra Premiership become a 26-Round competition with every team continuing to play 24 games. All teams will receive 2 byes during the season with the total number of regular season games increasing from 192 to 204.

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys AM said the Commission’s decision was a landmark moment in the game’s history.

“Today is an exciting moment in the history of our game. The NRL Telstra Premiership will expand to 17 teams in 2023 and on behalf of the Commission I would like to congratulate The Dolphins on being granted the 17th licence,’’ he said.

“I would also like to acknowledge and thank the other bid teams for the work they put into their submissions. All 3 bids were of the highest calibre and highlight the strength of rugby league in Queensland.”

Mr V’landys said expanding the game in Queensland was vital to the long-term growth of the sport.

“Rugby League is part of Queensland’s DNA and to have 4 teams based in Queensland will further strengthen our game as the No.1 sport in the State,’’ he said.

“The key to long term success is growth. By growing the NRL Telstra Premiership we create more fans, encourage more participants and increase commercial investment in rugby league.

“Expansion is also a really important part of our participation strategy. It will be a condition of the licence that the Dolphins spend $2 million every year on participation and growing the women’s game in Southeast Queensland. Our focus over the next year is revitalising our participation strategy and The Dolphins will be an important part of that in Queensland.”

Mr V’landys said the Commission approved the expanded competition because it added value to the Competition.

“Our priority as a Commission was firstly to ensure all 16 clubs came through the pandemic financially secure and we have achieved that.

“This decision adds substantial value to the game which will benefit all existing clubs. I would like to acknowledge our broadcast partner Fox Sports who have agreed to an enhanced broadcast agreement from 2023 to 2027.”

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said the expanded competition would create more opportunities for the rugby league ecosystem.

“This is an exciting day for our game. There will be more opportunities for our players in 2023, more games of rugby league to watch for our fans and more investment in pathways for our grassroots participants,’’ he said.

“It’s also an excellent outcome for our partners and sponsors who have additional exposure from 2023.

“The structure of the season means there will be 12 more games played every year and all clubs will receive 2 byes, which assists the workload management of our players.”

NRL media release
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I hate it. But while everyone’s guessing, I’m going to say their no.1 target will be Kalyn Ponga.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Lol ... so much for this being about getting a second Brisbane team.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If everyone is this against it, it can’t possibly be a bad thing
Bring on the Dolphins
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Norm Provan has passed away. He was 88.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

John McIntyre pays respects to late Norm Provan

John McIntyre has paid his respects to the great Norm Provan following his death.

"I only met him a few times, but he was a fellow you had to admire," McIntyre said. "We had quite a lot to do with his partner Arthur Summons, being based over in Wagga.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL to reveal huge $2 billion TV deal as Channel Nine agreement looms, Seven walks

The NRL is poised to announce a new five-year broadcast deal with Channel 9 which could net rugby league $600m. Channel 7 has walked away from broadcast negotiations. With Fox Sports having already committed to a deal until the end of 2027, it now appears the NRL’s new broadcast deal could be worth up to $2 billion.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... c9112f2e83

Nine has already offered $105-110 million a season, but the NRL is holding out for $120 million... but also saying that the successful network has to promote the game hard. Seven offered $30 million for the three Origins, and also wanted the Sunday 4pm match and another game on share basis with Fox. They were going to do pre and post game shows, while using Fox commentators. Apparently Nine's original presentation was "underwhelming" but the Seven interest forced them to up the ante.

Nine has always been an inferior promotional partner for the game, compared with Seven and the AFL. About time the NRL made it's expectations clear to the FTA broadcaster.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

-PJ- wrote: October 14, 2021, 8:55 am Norm Provan has passed away. He was 88.
I remember watching him in the early 60's. He was hard and tough and a backbone of the Dragons record breaking side. A fitness fanatic as a Captain/Coach and non drinker from a time of live hard and play hard men.
VALE Norm. Immortal.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Two referees, judiciary, rule changes, head contact on table at end-of-season meetings

Bring back two referees, get teams onside, stop making late rule changes, review the NRL’s head contact clampdown and overhaul the judiciary process. These are the burning issues that will be raised as all 16 clubs prepare to have meetings over four days with NRL management next week.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 7d6bcca89d

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 721dc93bba

The clubs clearly as frustrated as fans about constant and late rule changes, the Magic Round clamp down and judiciary, six again, off side and wild inconsistency in officiating over the season.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NSW Govt push NRL suburban grounds redevelopment

New South Wales premier Dominic Perrottet has confirmed he will push support for suburban grounds to be redeveloped over NRL clubs playing at big stadiums. The Dragons’ homeground of Jubilee Oval in Kogarah was previously considered a leading candidate for redevelopment, but the focus has reportedly shifted to redeveloping Brookvale Oval and Penrith Stadium and a new multi-use stadium at Liverpool.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1f72bff205
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Please tell me this isn't a real quote...

https://twitter.com/TimothyJ_23/status/ ... 7833352195