Rugby League 2021

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Rugby League 2021

Post by Elcaptcroker »

So its ok if people get falsely accused because their only a minority?

Doesnt matter if its man on man, woman on woman, male on woman or woman on male, rape is never ok and falsely accusing someone of rape isnt ok either, both will rune peoples lives and neither should be ok'd with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Rugby League 2021

Post by Botman »

Elcaptcroker wrote: March 19, 2021, 1:10 pm So its ok if people get falsely accused because their only a minority?

Doesnt matter if its man on man, woman on woman, male on woman or woman on male, rape is never ok and falsely accusing someone of rape isnt ok either, both will rune peoples lives and neither should be ok'd with
At absolutely no point in that post, or even this thread has ANYONE said falsely accusations of rape is OK.

It is exceedingly rare for a legitimate accusation to achieve a conviction, due to the nature of these cases. It is rarer still that a false accusation achieve a conviction.

Does it happen? Yes.
Is that ok? No.

False accusations are estimated to be about 5%. Approximately 10% of sexual assault cases result in a conviction. So that means across 1000 accusations of sexual assault:

- Approximately 950 of them are legitimate accusations
- Approximately 50 of them are false accusations
- Of those 950 legitimate victims of sexual assault, 95 will see their perpetrator convicted, leaving 850 perpetrators unconvicted and unpunished.
- Of those 50 falsely accused of sexual assault, 45 of them will not be convicted, leaving 5 people falsely convicted and wrongly punished.

That's some quick, dirty maths for you, but also undoubtedly the worst case scenario. Proving a legitimate rape case is very difficult, so logically proving one that isn't legitimate is going to be substantially harder, given the evidence is not likely to support the prosecution, which logically means the conviction rate in false accusations is almost certainly nothing near as high as 10%. So that number of falsely convicted is in all likelihood much closer to 1, not 5.

So now we have some quick and dirty figures... you're honestly going to sit here and tell me that the an issue that has short term impacts for 50 falsely accused people, and has long term impacts for at worst 5 of them and likely much less... that issue should command as much attention and is as bad an issue for society as the one that has long term impacts for 950 people who have made legitimate accusations?

Because if that is what you're trying to argue, then apologies for my language but you're, and I can not stress this enough, a **** idiot.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Rugby League 2021

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Botman wrote:
Elcaptcroker wrote: March 19, 2021, 1:10 pm So its ok if people get falsely accused because their only a minority?

At absolutely no point in that post, or even this thread has ANYONE said falsely accusations of rape is OK.

It is exceedingly rare for a legitimate accusation to achieve a conviction, due to the nature of these cases. It is rarer still that a false accusation achieve a conviction.

Does it happen? Yes.
Is that ok? No.

False accusations are estimated to be about 5%. Approximately 10% of sexual assault cases result in a conviction. So that means across 1000 accusations of sexual assault:

- Of those 950 legitimate victims of sexual assault, 95 will see their perpetrator convicted, leaving 850 perpetrators unconvicted and unpunished.
- Of those 50 falsely accused of sexual assault, 45 of them will not be convicted, leaving 5 people falsely convicted and wrongly punished.

That's some quick, dirty maths for you, but also undoubtedly the worst case scenario. Proving a legitimate rape case is very difficult, so logically proving one that isn't legitimate is going to be substantially harder, given the evidence is not likely to support the prosecution, which logically means the conviction rate in false accusations is almost certainly nothing near as high as 10%. So that number of falsely convicted is in all likelihood much closer to 1, not 5.

So now we have some quick and dirty figures... you're honestly going to sit here and tell me that the an issue that has short term impacts for 50 falsely accused people, and has long term impacts for at worst 5 of them and likely much less... that issue should command as much attention and is as bad an issue for society as the one that has long term impacts for 950 people who have made legitimate accusations?

Because if that is what you're trying to argue, then apologies for my language but you're, and I can not stress this enough, a **** idiot.
What ive said all along is rape and falsely accusing of rape are just as bad as each other, you lot can disagree as much as you want but hey not everyone has to have the same Opinion now do we.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Elcaptcroker wrote: March 19, 2021, 2:55 pm What ive said all along is rape and falsely accusing of rape are just as bad as each other, you lot can disagree as much as you want but hey not everyone has to have the same Opinion now do we.
What i've said and explained is that from a societal POV, that 10,000 feet level of what issues really need to be focused on and addressed, the two are simply not comparable in any way shape or form for any reasonable, rational human being.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Jarryd Hayne found guilty of sexual assault

Former footballer Jarryd Hayne has been found guilty of sexually assaulting a woman at her Newcastle home.

Hayne, 33, faced trial in the NSW District Court on two counts of aggravated sexual intercourse without consent, recklessly inflicting actual bodily harm, after he assaulted the 26-year-old woman with his hands and mouth and left her bleeding from the genitals in September 2018.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/jar ... 57bh6.html
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Elcaptcroker wrote: March 19, 2021, 2:55 pm
Botman wrote:

Does it happen? Yes.
Is that ok? No.

What ive said all along is rape and falsely accusing of rape are just as bad as each other, you lot can disagree as much as you want but hey not everyone has to have the same Opinion now do we.
Pretty sure you said false rape accusations are very common but the facts just don't support your argument.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

zim wrote:Jarryd Hayne found guilty of sexual assault

Former footballer Jarryd Hayne has been found guilty of sexually assaulting a woman at her Newcastle home.

Hayne, 33, faced trial in the NSW District Court on two counts of aggravated sexual intercourse without consent, recklessly inflicting actual bodily harm, after he assaulted the 26-year-old woman with his hands and mouth and left her bleeding from the genitals in September 2018.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/jar ... 57bh6.html
Sandra Sully just described Hayne as “NRL Star-turned Sex offender”

Made it sound like it was a career change
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

well he's not an nrl player anymore

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good news. The bloke has serious issues.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

As soon as he’s in Jail I’m giving him a new nickname. “The Hayne Detain”.

Or maybe “Haynee Detainee”.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Silverwater footy team to announce a major signing..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Who have they signed?
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I'm quite sure Hayne's attitude during the trial did not help his case. He came off incredibly arrogant and entitled.

I'm glad for the victim's sake that she's got some form of justice, though I hope she has a strong support team around her for the inevitable appeal.

In the meantime, it would seem he's going to jail - it remains to be seen for how long but it is never long enough.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Rugby League 2021

-PJ- wrote:The Silverwater footy team to announce a major signing..
What does the NRL inmate team look like now

01. Jarryd Hayne
02. Brett Dallas
03. Jason Bulgarelli
04. Matt Seers
05. Joe Killroy
07. Craig Field (C)
08. Russell Packer
09. Anthony Watts
10. Matt Lodge
11. Manu Mau
12. John Elias
13. Martin Kennedy

15. Danny Wicks
16. Jason Williams
17. Aukuso Junior Paulo
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on March 23, 2021, 10:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

01. Jarryd Hayne
03. Jason Bulgarelli
08. Russell Packer
09. Anthony Watts
10. Matt Lodge

15. Danny Wicks
16. Jason Williams
**** hell, Fui!

You’re missing captain/coach Craig Field!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Nickman wrote: March 23, 2021, 10:20 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

01. Jarryd Hayne
03. Jason Bulgarelli
07. Craig Field (C)
08. Russell Packer
09. Anthony Watts
10. Matt Lodge

15. Danny Wicks
16. Jason Williams
**** hell, Fui!

You’re missing captain/coach Craig Field!
How dumb of me! Updated. I have heard the Inmate squad is keeping a keen eye on the Michael Gordon situation, after being disappointed at being unable to sign Jason Smith

Nickman's love of NSW
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Brett Dallas would add some real pace to that side.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pre NRL, but John Elias deserves consideration.

Manu Ma'u and Elias could complete that second row.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Martin Kennedy at lock...wildlife smuggling. Yikes. :lol:
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Get Matt Seers on the other wing!

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

That's a good one!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Smokin' Joe Kilroy?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

All updated. The inmate selectors got excited for a moment thinking Chris Dawson was available, but it looks like he’s not eligible yet.

Nickman's love of NSW
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 25, 2021, 6:26 pm All updated. The inmate selectors got excited for a moment thinking Chris Dawson was available, but it looks like he’s not eligible yet.
You could slot Paul Hayward into the halves. He played halfback for the Jets in the 70s and got busted for drug smuggling in Thailand, trying to import heroin into Australia.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Is there a back row spot for JDB if things don’t go to well in April ?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

-PJ- wrote:Is there a back row spot for JDB if things don’t go to well in April ?
Speculation Fainu might be signed as Utility off the bench

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ARLC gives approval in principle for 18th player

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) today met and gave approval in principle for NRL clubs to activate an 18th player when three players from a team have failed HIA Tests. The rule will commence from Round 5 of the NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The Commission agreed the 18th player must be an emerging player. Before introducing the new measure, the ARLC will consult with the RLPA, Clubs and coaches. Included in the consultation will be the definition of an emerging player. Further, amendments may be made to the measure after such consultation.

The NRL will meet the travel costs of the 18th player.

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys AM said the Commission had listened to players and clubs.

“This is a dynamic environment. As a Commission we have always said we would be agile in changing rules when it is in the best interests of the game and this is one of those examples,’’ he said.

“We see this as an opportunity to give an emerging player a taste of first grade rugby league in their team’s time of need. The 18th player will also have to be rotated weekly so you don’t have a young player missing out on playing lower grades every week.”

“All fans agree we don’t want to see a situation where a club is left with one player on the bench and this rule change will provide insurance for all clubs. It will also only be activated in the most dire of circumstances for a club, so we don’t see it having a material impact on games every week.”

NRL media release
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This is more poor decision making by the ARLC. First, it is reactionary and rushed. Second, it does nothing to address the problems of player welfare that we saw on the weekend. The hurdle of three HIAs is so high, that it is a rule that will virtually never been used. There's only been one club that has had three HIAs in a match since the start of last year. Third, an "emerging player" has no place making what is likely his NRL debut in such a game and such an environment. In addition, what's the point of paying for an 18th man to be transported etc etc to games... when there is virtually no hope of that player, playing. And stopping them from playing footy?
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

I don’t understand why they just don’t introduce a mandatory stand down period like they use in NSW cup. If your player fails the HIA you are welcome to use an 18th man but the injured player must sit out for 10 days ( it is 14 in NSW cup).

If the 18th man was going to make that much of a difference they would be in the 17 in the first place.

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Yup at some point in the very near future mandatory stand downs are going to happen, if you suffer a concussion you're going to miss games. Just bring it in now and let that player be replaced mid game
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

So the player has to be an “emerging player”

Enter stage left Joseph Suaalii.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Rugby League 2021

-PJ- wrote:So the player has to be an “emerging player”

Hooper was saying on Back Page the Roosters are toying with moving Teddy to 5/8, Brett Morris to FB, and free up a wing/centre spot for Suaalii.

Nickman's love of NSW
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

Hooper was saying on Back Page the Roosters are toying with moving Teddy to 5/8, Brett Morris to FB, and free up a wing/centre spot for Suaalii.
Would eg they just move Manu to 5/8

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 30, 2021, 7:00 pm This is more poor decision making by the ARLC. First, it is reactionary and rushed. Second, it does nothing to address the problems of player welfare that we saw on the weekend. The hurdle of three HIAs is so high, that it is a rule that will virtually never been used. There's only been one club that has had three HIAs in a match since the start of last year. Third, an "emerging player" has no place making what is likely his NRL debut in such a game and such an environment. In addition, what's the point of paying for an 18th man to be transported etc etc to games... when there is virtually no hope of that player, playing. And stopping them from playing footy?
Its a meaningless half... maybe quarter step?
Just a ineffective solution to a pretty easy to solve problem
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Rick wrote: March 31, 2021, 7:35 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:

Would eg they just move Manu to 5/8

Yeah that would be insane to move Teddy... just play Manu at 5/8th, he can handle that role, and Suaalii just comes straight in to replace him
Gives Manu and Sam Walker a good crutch to play too as well