2021 NSW Cup

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2021 NSW Cup

Post by greeneyed »

2020 Round 12 NSW Cup: Canberra Raiders V North Sydney Bears

Canberra Raiders V North Sydney Bears
Sunday 30 May 2:00pm
North Sydney Oval

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Elijah Anderson
3. Matt Timoko
4. Albert Hopoate
5. Toby Marks
6. Matthew Frawley
7. Brad Schneider
8. Leo Thompson
9. Siliva Havili
10. Ata Mariota
11. Kai O'Donnell
12. Hudson Young
13. Harry Rushton

14. Adrian Trevilyan
15. Darby Medlyn
16. Clay Webb
17. Trey Mooney

18. Adam Cook

North Sydney Bears

1. Josh Bergamin
2. Moala Graham-Taufa
3. Brad Abbey
4. Joseph Suaalii
5. Sione Hopoate
6. Jesse Marshke
7. Ronald Valkman
8. Tuku Hau Taphua
9. Penioni Tagituimua
10. Max Bailey
11. Egan Butcher
12. Naufahu Whyte
13. Jerry Key

15 Luca Moretti
16. Michael Fenn
17. Ben Thomas

AT A GLANCE:

Last round: The Raiders have crashed to their fourth loss in a row in NSW Cup, defeated by the second placed Western Suburbs Magpies at Lidcombe Oval in Round 11. The Magpies scored the first three tries, shooting out to an 18 point lead inside the first 30 minutes. Tries to Raiders forwards Darby Medlyn and Caleb Esera in the space of four minutes got Green Machine back into the contest. However a try to Magpies hooker Jake Simpkin gave the home team a 24-12 lead at the half time break. The two teams traded tries in the second half, with fullback Xavier Savage and winger Manase Kaho getting four pointers for the Raiders. Final scoreline: Magpies 36 - Raiders 22.

The Raiders had a better than even share of possession, posting a good completion rate (84 per cent, compared with 73 per cent for the Magpies). But the Magpies dominated most of the attacking statistics, producing more running metres (1423-1283), post contact metres (559-440), kick return metres (211-135), metres per set (43-35) and line breaks (6-5). The Raiders made more tackle breaks (37-29) and kicking metres (465-266). The Raiders also had the better effective tackle rate (87 per cent, 82 per cent for the Magpies) - with the Magpies missing 37 tackles (Raider 29). But the key defensive statistic was six tries to four.

Xavier Savage topped the running metres gained (189 from 15 runs), while forwards Kai O'Donnell (127), Ata Mariota (124), Trey Mooney (117) and Harry Rushton (106) also broke the 100 metres gained mark. Siliva Havili got two try assists and topped the tackle count (37). Harry Rushton (31), Kai O'Donnell (27), Clay Webb (24) and Darby Medlyn (24) also impressed in the tackling department.

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/05/2 ... -round-11/

MATCH STATISTICS: https://www.nswrl.com.au/draw/nsw-cup/2 ... v-raiders/

This week: The Raiders have fallen further on the competition ladder and now travel to North Sydney Oval for a clash with the Bears in Round 12. The Bears are coming off a 20-10 win over the Mounties, after back to back losses to the Eels and Magpies. There is not much between the teams in terms of their defensive records, but the Raiders do have the better attack. Hopefully that counts next Sunday.

Season record: Raiders 3 and 6(7th, +2)
Bears 5 and 4, 1 drawn (4th, -41)
Form: Raiders WLLLL
Bears WWLLW
Attacking record: Raiders 26, Bears 20 points scored per match
Defensive record: Raiders 25, Bears 24 points conceded per match

Team news: Albert Hopoate returns from a shoulder injury at centre, along with Matt Timoko, who has been on duty as 18th man for the NRL team. Toby Marks moves from centre to the wing, while Brigham Moeakiola and Manase Kaho drop out of the squad.

Xavier Savage retains the No. 1 jersey - while Adam Cook drops to 18th man, with the return of Brad Schneider to half back.

Hudson Young has been named in the second row, after having been dropped to the NRL team's reserves list. Clay Webb drops back to the bench. Caleb Esera has not been named in the team.

NSW CUP PREVIEW: Raiders v Bears: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... s-v-bears/
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I thought Manase Kaho kept on scoring tries? So he's dropped? Clay Webb and Caleb Esera talked up as two likely future NRL players? neither starting. What is wrong with this club?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Lui_Bon wrote: May 30, 2021, 12:01 am I thought Manase Kaho kept on scoring tries? So he's dropped? Clay Webb and Caleb Esera talked up as two likely future NRL players? neither starting. What is wrong with this club?
Kaho played Canberra Raiders Cup today. Esera must be injured.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Lui_Bon wrote: May 30, 2021, 12:01 am I thought Manase Kaho kept on scoring tries? So he's dropped? Clay Webb and Caleb Esera talked up as two likely future NRL players? neither starting. What is wrong with this club?
Who are you starting Esera and Webb over? 4 of that pack is in the first grade squad or are development players.

Don't forget they are coming out of SG Ball, not Flegg.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today's NSW Cup match between the Canberra Raiders and North Sydney Bears at North Sydney Oval.

Here are the final squads and we will have live score updates from 2:00pm.

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Elijah Anderson
3. Matt Timoko
4. Albert Hopoate
5. Toby Marks
6. Matthew Frawley
7. Brad Schneider
8. Leo Thompson
9. Siliva Havili
10. Ata Mariota
11. Kai O'Donnell
12. Hudson Young
13. Harry Rushton

14. Adrian Trevilyan
15. Darby Medlyn
16. Clay Webb
17. Trey Mooney

18. Adam Cook

North Sydney Bears

1. Josh Bergamin
5. Sione Hopoate
3. Brad Abbey
19. Tony Satini
25. Tom Carr
6. Jesse Marshke
7. Ronald Valkman
8. Tuku Hau Taphua
9. Penioni Tagituimua
16. Michael Fenn
12. Naufahu Whyte
13. Jerry Key
17. Ben Thomas

14. Kobe Rugless
15. Luca Moretti
21. Zac Montgomery
22. Elia Faatui

18. Tevita Alifa

Canberra Raiders 12

Tries
Hudson Young 29'
Leo Thompson 76'

Goals
Brad Schneider 30'
Brad Schneider 77'

North Sydney Bears 34

Tries
Tom Carr 19'
Brad Abbey 24'
Tom Carr 32'
Tom Carr 52'
Sione Hopoate 67'
Kobe Rugless 71'

Goals
Ronald Volkman 21'
Ronald Volkman 26'
Ronald Volkman 34'
Ronald Volkman 54'
Ronald Volkman 73'

HALF TIME: North Sydney Bears 18 lead Canberra Raiders 6
FULL TIME: North Sydney Bears 34 defeated Canberra Raiders 12
The Greenhouse score update service
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Hopefully Savage kills it and we can **** Aekins off for good

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Is this Hopa’s first game back from injury?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Would be yeah
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

So even our reserves are absolute dog ****
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Savage is at least a year away

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Crash Ball »

T_R wrote: May 30, 2021, 3:30 pm Savage is at least a year away
Did you get to the game?
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

The Greenhouse score update service
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Crash Ball wrote:
Did you get to the game?
on live stream, savage's defence is non existent.
On the positive,
Schneider was dangerous
Timoko worked hard
Rushton improving

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Crash Ball »

bonehead wrote: May 30, 2021, 3:58 pm
Crash Ball wrote:
Did you get to the game?
On the positive,
Schneider was dangerous
Timoko worked hard
Rushton improving

I didn't realize the game was livestreamed, I just assumed they don't show it if it clashes with the NRL.

Thanks for the update.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Crash Ball wrote:
bonehead wrote: May 30, 2021, 3:58 pm
Crash Ball wrote:
Did you get to the game?
On the positive,
Schneider was dangerous
Timoko worked hard
Rushton improving

I didn't realize the game was livestreamed, I just assumed they don't show it if it clashes with the NRL.

Thanks for the update.
nsw cup Facebook page

Edrick The Entertainer
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Crash Ball wrote: May 30, 2021, 3:50 pm
Did you get to the game?
I utilised the exciting powers of the internet to have it beamed live into my home

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Hat-trick hero Tom Carr helps North Sydney Bears dominate Canberra Raiders

The North Sydney Bears have defeated the Canberra Raiders in a convincing 34-12 thrashing at North Sydney Oval. A late try to Leo Thompson, which was converted again by Schneider lessened the margin for the Raiders to 22, however it remained just a consolation, with the North Sydney Bears defeating the Canberra Raiders convincingly, 34-12.

Read more: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/05/2 ... idersBears
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

With so many missing from Roosters NRL team that was effectively a 3rd string team. We still got toweled up. Hard to think any saviours for our 1st grade will.come from that.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just finished watching the game... a really poor performance. The whole club is in the doldrums at present. Hard to understand what's going on.
Bloody_Burnham
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

Also watched a replay of the stream last night. They started well but after Savage dropped the ball trying to score a try, Norths then scored which came against the run of play and it was all downhill from there. Overall they defended poorly and seemed to run out of gas just like the first grade side.

Positives were Leo Thompson (great leg speed, size and footwork for a front rower), Schneider looked dangerous at times, Rushton and Hudson Young tried hard though had some weak moments in defence. For those promoting Timoko for a start in 1st grade should watch this game as he was pretty poor and doesn't seem to have the quality to be a regular first grader (hope I'm wrong).

I was watching Savage closely and whilst he looks promising, he has abit of work to do on his game before he is ready for 1st grade. Savage needs to learn to attack the footy more on kick returns, missed a couple one on ones which led to tries, positional play needs improvement and he needs to get stronger. Based upon what I saw he will be banging down the door for first grade next season but he isn't ready this year.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Did he play fullback?
If he played fullback then i dont really care tbh... i havent seen a lot of him but what i've seen says to me he has no business playing fullback. He's a natural finisher and a winger.
If he played wing and cant hang yet, that's a bit of a downer.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:
Did he play fullback?
If he played fullback then i dont really care tbh... i havent seen a lot of him but what i've seen says to me he has no business playing fullback. He's a natural finisher and a winger.
If he played wing and cant hang yet, that's a bit of a downer.
fullback, not sure his 90kg bio is accurate

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fullback the last two games. The club has tried to shoehorn a player into a position they’re short on before, but they’re best not to.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont like to pigeon hole players early but nothing about anything i've seen leads me to beleive Savage is a fullback.
I really think he's a very good chance to be playing wing in NRL sometime early in 2022.

Fullback... yeah, that's gonna be a no from me
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: May 31, 2021, 9:36 pm I dont like to pigeon hole players early but nothing about anything i've seen leads me to beleive Savage is a fullback.
I really think he's a very good chance to be playing wing in NRL sometime early in 2022.

Fullback... yeah, that's gonna be a no from me
Every talented young outside back these days thinks they are a fullback. That's the position that commands the big $$. :)

If Savage was given a shot at 1st grade it would be on the wing.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

At this stage I think it's just to get more miles in his legs and speed up his development.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:At this stage I think it's just to get more miles in his legs and speed up his development.
more involvement

What thoughts Leo Thompson, thinking same idea having him at prop building his motor or a genuine move? Started as a centre I thought he might be a good edge backrower but churning decent numbers in the middle

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Match vs Newtown this Saturday will be called on ABC

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

thethreemile1960
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

NSW Cup: Newtown v Raiders, Saturday, 5th June 2021

Post by thethreemile1960 »

Here are the full details for this Saturday's Knock-On Effect NSW Cup match at Henson Park:

NSWRL NSW Cup - 13th Round
Saturday, 5th June 2021
Henson Park
Newtown V Canberra Raiders
Kick-Off: 3.00pm.

It's always a great Saturday afternoon of rugby league at Henson Park and the Canberra Raiders aren't playing in the NRL this weekend.

The Newtown Jets invite all Canberra Raiders fans (especially those who live in Sydney) to get along to Henson Park this Saturday afternoon to cheer for their team. It's a very important game for both clubs!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2020 Round 13 NSW Cup: Canberra Raiders V Newtown Jets

Canberra Raiders V Newtown Jets
Saturday 5 June 3:00pm
Henson Park
Gates Open: 11.00am
Ron Massey Cup: Glebe Dirty Reds v Kaiviti Silktails - 12.30pm
Tickets: Click here
Radio: ABC Radio Sydney 702

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Michael Asomua
3. Matt Timoko
4. Albert Hopoate
5. Elijah Anderson
6. Matthew Frawley
7. Brad Schneider
8. Leo Thompson
9. Siliva Havili
10. Ata Mariota
11. Kai O'Donnell
12. Hudson Young
13. Trey Mooney

14. Adrian Trevilyan
15. Darby Medlyn
16. Brigham Moeakiola
17. Adam Cook

18. Sila Titiuti

Newtown Jets

1. Dylan O'Connor
2. Edward Aiono
3. Jensen Taumoepeau
4. Jonaiah Lualua
5. Nene Macdonald
6. Bronson Garlick
7. Luke Metcalf
8. Andrew Fifita
9. Zac Woolford
10. Daniel Vasquez
11. Tom Caughlan
12. Siosifa Talakai
13. Billy Magoulias

14. Brock Gray
15. Kyle Paterson
17. Franklin Pele
21. Ryan Verlinden

AT A GLANCE:

Last round: The Raiders have crashed to their fifth loss in a row in NSW Cup, defeated by the North Sydney Bears, 34-12, in Round 12. The Raiders never really looked like they were in the match, with the Bears scoring six tries. Hudson Young scored the only try for the Green Machine in the first half, while Leo Thompson got a consolation try for Canberra in the final few minutes. Bears winger Tom Carr got a hat trick.

The Raiders completed at just 65 per cent, delivering a 54 per cent possession share for the Bears. The Raiders produced 13 errors (Bears eight) and conceded seven line breaks (Bears three). Matt Timoko topped the running metres for the Raiders (129 from 12 runs), while Toby Marks (121), Ata Mariota (108), Leo Thompson (105) and Hudgson Young (100) made 100 metres gained or more. Matt Frawley and Siliva Havili produced try assists, while Hudson Young made nine tackle breaks. Harry Rushton (41), Kai O'Donnell (39), and Trey Mooney (28) topped the tackle count.

MATCH STATISTICS: https://www.nswrl.com.au/draw/nsw-cup/2 ... v-raiders/

This week: The Raiders have fallen to ninth on the ladder, and now travel to Henson Park for a clash with the sixth placed Newtown Jets. The Jets are coming off the bye - and before that a 44- 20 win over the Dragons in Round 11. The Raiders have a slightly better attacking and defensive record. Hopefully that's a pointer to the Raiders breaking their losing streak. The Raiders beat the Jets 60-20 in Round 4 this year at Kippax - when the Raiders piled on 10 tries.

Season record: Raiders 3 and 7 (9th, -20)
Jets 3 and 5, 1 drawn (6th, -58)
Form: Raiders LLLLL
Jets DLWLW
Attacking record: Raiders 24, Jets 22 points scored per match
Defensive record: Raiders 26, Jets 28 points conceded per match

Team news: Star SG Ball winger Michael Asomua gets his NSW Cup debut this week, with Elijah Anderson switching to the other wing. Toby Marks has not been named in the squad. Trey Mooney comes in at lock in place of Harry Rushton, while Brigham Moeakiola comes in on the bench in place of Clay Webb. Sila Titiuti has been named as 18th man.

NSW CUP PREVIEW: Raiders v Jets: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/06 ... rs-v-jets/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Crash Ball »

Good to see Asomua debut, he was great in the SG Ball grand final.

Anyone know if this game will be streamed?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

interesting that Kaho is gone, thought he was impressive

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: June 1, 2021, 12:57 pm
zim wrote:At this stage I think it's just to get more miles in his legs and speed up his development.
more involvement

What thoughts Leo Thompson, thinking same idea having him at prop building his motor or a genuine move? Started as a centre I thought he might be a good edge backrower but churning decent numbers in the middle
Thompson and Mooney both look great in the middle. Really look like they match the faster style of the game.