Re: Coaching issues

Post by Billy Walker »

He may not be a good coach but he is a comical sook at the press conferences
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Billy Walker wrote: August 6, 2022, 8:22 pm He may not be a good coach but he is a comical sook at the press conferences
Yeah... But the amusement of him getting oddly personally upset about a player who obviously didn't kiss his **** right years ago isn't funny enough to get over the last three seasons of constant disappointment... Like, I honestly can't remember the feeling of watching a game and going "yeah we have this" and just enjoying it... We could be thirty up and I know we will let them somehow get back with a shot to win, or even find a way to lose... Even the games we do win aren't spectacular anymore...

I had to go back through the years to find the last time we actually flogged someone (which I would consider 24 points margin):

Round 14, 2020 - 36 to 8 over the Broncos (that years wooden spooners)... Just really great stuff...
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

I'm actually starting to think Stuart goes off on these random rants or creates other controversy on purpose... I mean, no one in the media is talking about how **** a job he is doing at coaching a team to a second straight year of missing the finals. Which is half the problem too... The Roosters lose two games in a row and suddenly articles pop up about if their coach is in danger of being replaced. Raiders have a coach who has run them from a GF loss to a Premier Final loss then to tenth place and likely tenth place again and he is under ZERO pressure from the media, the exact opposite, they are still blowing smoke up his **** and saying how he is our heart and soul...
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Ultima wrote: August 7, 2022, 1:50 am I'm actually starting to think Stuart goes off on these random rants or creates other controversy on purpose... I mean, no one in the media is talking about how **** a job he is doing at coaching a team to a second straight year of missing the finals. Which is half the problem too... The Roosters lose two games in a row and suddenly articles pop up about if their coach is in danger of being replaced. Raiders have a coach who has run them from a GF loss to a Premier Final loss then to tenth place and likely tenth place again and he is under ZERO pressure from the media, the exact opposite, they are still blowing smoke up his **** and saying how he is our heart and soul...
Media coverage usually just reverts back to haha I love Ricky's passion, Ricky IS the Raiders, he's the only coach for them.

It's easier than actually having a hard look at the place and keeps the Raiders in their safe little box. It's complete crap but fans here have started to buy into it too.

Simply being passionate about it doesn't mean you have all the tools required to be a good NRL coach. Being passionate about the club gets you the local clubs coaching gig. There are people queing up for a chance at NRL coaching gigs. It pays $500k+. At some point, results matter. And being below the cutoff for even mediocrity (8th) twice as often as we make finals... It's not good enough. The same mistakes keep getting made. At that point, the coach has done his dash, we are not moving forward. It's been years of backsliding.
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

No effective leader ducks responsibility as often and as consistently as Ricky. The CEO, board and everyone else involved with the club at a senior level should hang their heads in incompetent, self-serving shame.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Ricky and the board all need to be booted. It's that simple
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Three finals series in nine years ......

Simply not good enough
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

PerthRaider86 wrote: August 7, 2022, 9:05 am Three finals series in nine years ......

Simply not good enough
Terrible and it's rewarded with a contract extension for how ever long Ricky wants.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Ultima wrote:I'm actually starting to think Stuart goes off on these random rants or creates other controversy on purpose... I mean, no one in the media is talking about how **** a job he is doing at coaching a team to a second straight year of missing the finals. Which is half the problem too... The Roosters lose two games in a row and suddenly articles pop up about if their coach is in danger of being replaced. Raiders have a coach who has run them from a GF loss to a Premier Final loss then to tenth place and likely tenth place again and he is under ZERO pressure from the media, the exact opposite, they are still blowing smoke up his **** and saying how he is our heart and soul...
100% spot on Ultima.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

I hope Stuart gets sued for defamation

Stuart ‘not backing down’ from shock Salmon comments as young Panther seeks legal advice: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 489a6eeaf8

Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

The attack on Salmon must be swiftly rebuked by the CEO and or board. If they ignore this gross act of bullying and intimidation, they might as well be endorsing it.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Now apologising to save his job

Last night he wasn't backing down from his comments and now he's all apologetic????
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He's not apologising the save his job. His job isnt remotely on the line over this.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Mr Squiggle wrote: August 7, 2022, 10:00 am The attack on Salmon must be swiftly rebuked by the CEO and or board. If they ignore this gross act of bullying and intimidation, they might as well be endorsing it.
The question at HQ will be what is the minimum level of remorse and action that must be enacted before we can go back to business as usual.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Ricky Stuart holds grudges and is more stubborn than anyone I know.

Also the sky is blue

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Now I can't be bothered to go check, but from memory in 80 mins of football, I can only recall Kris getting the ball once besides grunt work and timoko zero.

Now as stated I am probably wrong, but even if I'm close. You can tell me the players aren't capable of getting the ball to the centres, so what is there plan/structure.

It's the worst structure I've seen in years and has only been covered up in the past due to some of our individual tackle breaking machines

PerthRaider86
John Ferguson

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Bennyinthewest wrote: August 7, 2022, 12:29 pm Now I can't be bothered to go check, but from memory in 80 mins of football, I can only recall Kris getting the ball once besides grunt work and timoko zero.

Now as stated I am probably wrong, but even if I'm close. You can tell me the players aren't capable of getting the ball to the centres, so what is there plan/structure.

It's the worst structure I've seen in years and has only been covered up in the past due to some of our individual tackle breaking machines

That's the Sticky gameplan.......

One out runs and kick
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

PerthRaider86 wrote:
Bennyinthewest wrote: August 7, 2022, 12:29 pm Now I can't be bothered to go check, but from memory in 80 mins of football, I can only recall Kris getting the ball once besides grunt work and timoko zero.

That's the Sticky gameplan.......

One out runs and kick
For sure, have always hated it. But the week end was up there with the worst I've seen. As a centre I'd never come to the Raiders.

Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

A gross over-reaction from everyone all round here. Yes, including Ricky.

Regarding what happened in the tackle, I thought it was quite bad and worthy of a 2 week suspension. Our player got kicked in the balls and the head. Saying that 'happens all the time' is nonsense. Players lash out in tackles occasionally. If they hit something they shouldn't, they usually stop. This bloke had another go. 2 weeks he should have gone for. Goose Gould should show us footage where a player gets kicked in both the head and the balls in the same tackle if he reckons it 'happens all the time'.

As for Ricky, yes, he was in the wrong. He should be suspended for 4 weeks - twice what the other bloke should have got. Seeing as how the other bloke only got fined $1000, Ricky should be fined $2000.

Over to you, NRL.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Bennyinthewest wrote:Now I can't be bothered to go check, but from memory in 80 mins of football, I can only recall Kris getting the ball once besides grunt work and timoko zero.

Jack just kept turning it back inside or running on the angle. Poor game from him.

But, but, but. It’s imperative for our Centres and Wingers to understand that the Panthers were pushing up quick outside to cutoff the spread. Therefore you have to stand a little deeper or seek a chip or grubber just beyond the line.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Dogs after securing Cameron Ciraldo are now looking to sign Michael Maguire to be his assistant coach. All while having someone like Gus Gould overseeing things.

Did anyone see the press conference with Brett White after the game? I have always had my doubts about his credentials as a coach but given him and the club the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe he was just having a bad day but it really sounded and came across like his wheel was spinning but the hamster’s been dead for a while. This is the footy brains of our club? With Cappy leaving next year I bloody hope we are in the market for a few people to freshen the place up.

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Rick wrote: August 16, 2022, 6:58 am Dogs after securing Cameron Ciraldo are now looking to sign Michael Maguire to be his assistant coach. All while having someone like Gus Gould overseeing things.

Did anyone see the press conference with Brett White after the game? I have always had my doubts about his credentials as a coach but given him and the club the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe he was just having a bad day but it really sounded and came across like his wheel was spinning but the hamster’s been dead for a while. This is the footy brains of our club? With Cappy leaving next year I bloody hope we are in the market for a few people to freshen the place up.

To be fair, Ivan Cleary sounds like he's permanently sedated, yet seems to do a good job
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Rick wrote: August 16, 2022, 6:58 am Dogs after securing Cameron Ciraldo are now looking to sign Michael Maguire to be his assistant coach. All while having someone like Gus Gould overseeing things.

This post made me go and watch.

White comes across as one of the boys and i think he could be a strong motivator. Probably good for the forwards.

We need to get someone to help us with attack. Pronto.

Barrett for me is never going to be a great first grade head coach. Very much the type of coach who buys into the hype and player profile. But i wonder if he could help us with attack?
Well we need people that can help in this space. Otherwise we will be a side that sits between 7th and 14th.

Attack has been a problem for 3 seasons now.

Against st george we had the ball for 7 tackles .. all inside the 10m. We did 7 hit ups. We offered near zero.

When Jack runs the ball its obvious. The only play he has is a run around with Young.

Our centres are never 1 on 1 against their defenders.

Our attack can be read like a book.

To me its as clear as day.. alarm bells should be going off within the coaching staff. Urgent crisis meetings. Consultants. I dont know what else.

The fact we are flirting with the top 8 is a near miracle.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

benda wrote: August 16, 2022, 4:42 pm To me its as clear as day.. alarm bells should be going off within the coaching staff. Urgent crisis meetings. Consultants. I dont know what else.

If you think alarm bells will be ringing at the club based on this year I respectfully reckon you don’t understand the Canberra Raiders.

In the unlikely event we make the finals the club will consider themselves vindicated and the plaudits will be coming thick and fast by making the finals despite instability in the spine or whatever other excuse they have in the kit bag.

If we miss the finals there is, as mentioned, a kit bag of excuses to draw upon.

Plus, we most likely will have a positive win-loss record this year so to miss the finals would just be unlucky, bounce of the ball stuff.

In order for the club to hear alarm bells there needs to be a full blown meltdown crisis like in 2013.

This is lukewarm mediocrity, which the club is more than happy to accept.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
benda wrote: August 16, 2022, 4:42 pm To me its as clear as day.. alarm bells should be going off within the coaching staff. Urgent crisis meetings. Consultants. I dont know what else.

If you think alarm bells will be ringing at the club based on this year I respectfully reckon you don’t understand the Canberra Raiders.

In the unlikely event we make the finals the club will consider themselves vindicated and the plaudits will be coming thick and fast by making the finals despite instability in the spine or whatever other excuse they have in the kit bag.

If we miss the finals there is, as mentioned, a kit bag of excuses to draw upon.

Plus, we most likely will have a positive win-loss record this year so to miss the finals would just be unlucky, bounce of the ball stuff.

In order for the club to hear alarm bells there needs to be a full blown meltdown crisis like in 2013.

He’s right you know
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The Nickman wrote: August 16, 2022, 5:45 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:

He’s right you know
About the lukewarm mediocrity?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Finchy wrote: August 16, 2022, 6:07 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:

He’s right you know
About the baby ox you idiot.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote:
Mickey_Raider wrote:

He’s right you know
About everything, dammit!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I think Brett White was just told to get in there and defend Sticky. That's the club we support at this point in time.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 16, 2022, 7:35 pm

I think Brett White was just told to get in there and defend Sticky. That's the club we support at this point in time.
Yep. That pretty much sums it up. As i said a while back, this is Stuart's club right now. For better or worse he is the single most important and powerful person in the organisation and everyone else is just along for the ride.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Buenos noches mein Fuhrer!

Ja ja :-(

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I watched it. He spent the first two minutes talking about how great Ricky is. His first words were, "it's not my team, it's Ricky's team". Then he acted accordingly the rest of the interview

So yeah
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I admired Ricky's coaching ability but over the last couple of years its becoming a concern for me as a passionate supporter.. i think with his grinding (only) tactics its becoming clear we are way behind the 8 ball.

I hope he has to ego and conciousness to recognise he needs help.

I dont understand Whitehead's starting selection every week. He isnt an 80 m backrower anymore. There is no x factor about him. Loyalty gone too far at the expense of supporters perhaps? I dont know.

We have the talent and we can be better. We should have gone ahead and put 40 on st george on Sunday. Not finish on 4 tries a piece.

Excuses are fine.. we do have valid ones; such as our spine being disrupted so much. But to offer near nothing is attack is just sad.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Canberra Milk wrote: August 17, 2022, 9:28 am I watched it. He spent the first two minutes talking about how great Ricky is. His first words were, "it's not my team, it's Ricky's team". Then he acted accordingly the rest of the interview

So yeah
In some ways.. the fact he commands the respect is a good thing. Its just important what he does with the influence he has.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

benda wrote: August 17, 2022, 9:58 am I admired Ricky's coaching ability
Why?