All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2022

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: December 27, 2021, 7:52 pm
Botman wrote: December 27, 2021, 7:17 pm The outside backs are going to be a problem for this fan base this year, myself included, we're going to argue a lot about them i think

I think they'll at least start the season looking like this:
1. CNK 2. Rapana 3. Croker 4. ?? 5. Cotric

HSS, Timoko, Kris... i think pre season will determine that final spot... IMO Savage, Rapana, Cotric and CNK should be locks, and right now i've got both HSS asnd Timoko well ahead of Kris and Valemi. I agree with alksalka that Timoko would the favouite for the #4 jersey, and i think rightly so.

Edit: Should Rapana recieve a suspension for his DUI, then i guess that's one problem solved early, HSS is a natural and easy selection there.
HSS and Timoko well in front of Kris and Valemei now, IMO, regardless of the position in the outside backs.
I concur. But im not entirely sure the coach agrees. I find myself thinking maybe the coach and i dont agree on much on what is best for the back 5
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I agree. Savage, CNK, Rapa and Cotric have to be locks in some configuration for the back 5. I also agree the last spot should be Timoko.

While HSS is definitely ahead of Kris on the outside back depth chart I can see value in keeping Kris around, especially if he can transition to that utility bench role. Having him play at a FG level in the second row with the ability to play as a back in this HIA age will have great value for us. I hope and think he can.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I have a feeling Rapa isn’t the lock in the back 5 that everyone thinks he might be. He was the best back in a very very poor backline last year and time is catching up on him. There is a good chance he will be sitting out games at season start because of the DUI. If HSS gets a chance and grabs it with both hands I’d hope the team is selected with an eye to the future.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: December 27, 2021, 7:53 pm
afgtnk wrote: December 27, 2021, 7:23 pm
zim wrote: December 27, 2021, 7:14 pm HSS is a centre first. Wing/fullback second.
Whatever he may or may not have been in lower grades is largely irrelevant come first grade.

In the NRL, I doubt we'll see him play regularly at centre next year. He looks and plays like a winger.
Because you’ve only ever seen him play as a winger?
I'll add Ricky commended his efforts to learn the wing role, noting that he's definitely a centre.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: December 27, 2021, 11:07 pm
greeneyed wrote: December 27, 2021, 7:53 pm
afgtnk wrote: December 27, 2021, 7:23 pm
zim wrote: December 27, 2021, 7:14 pm HSS is a centre first. Wing/fullback second.
Whatever he may or may not have been in lower grades is largely irrelevant come first grade.

In the NRL, I doubt we'll see him play regularly at centre next year. He looks and plays like a winger.
Because you’ve only ever seen him play as a winger?
I'll add Ricky commended his efforts to learn the wing role, noting that he's definitely a centre.
It’s a bit difficult to show your talents as a centre on the wing. Like, you know, setting up the man outside you? Running the right lines etc?
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I'm with agkdkk, HSS looks like a winger. Is it because he has only played on the wing, sure. That, and the fact that when he did play on the wing he did everything you'd expect a winger to do (reminded me heaps of Cotric). I've been thinking about our backline and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see savage come off the bench early in the year. To play a role similar to what Milford did for Furner. I'm slightly concerned that handing him the 1 jersey could put him back, particularly if we start slowly and I think he could be awesome playing 30m against tired opposition
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

FROG wrote: December 28, 2021, 12:15 am I'm with agkdkk, HSS looks like a winger. Is it because he has only played on the wing, sure. That, and the fact that when he did play on the wing he did everything you'd expect a winger to do (reminded me heaps of Cotric). I've been thinking about our backline and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see savage come off the bench early in the year. To play a role similar to what Milford did for Furner. I'm slightly concerned that handing him the 1 jersey could put him back, particularly if we start slowly and I think he could be awesome playing 30m against tired opposition
But if you’d watched him play in his actual position of centre… hey, presto!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

In my opinion HSS is the best centre at the club.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

-PJ- wrote: December 28, 2021, 4:06 am In my opinion HSS is the best centre at the club.
Easily
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raiders666 wrote: December 28, 2021, 8:10 am
-PJ- wrote: December 28, 2021, 4:06 am In my opinion HSS is the best centre at the club.
Easily
3rded!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: December 28, 2021, 7:14 pm
Easily
3rded!
There’s a NSW SOO centre, a kiwi international centre and a bloke voted by the GH as being up there with Mal as the best centres in the history of the club and you 3 have a bloke who hasn’t played first grade in the centres ahead of them. Ok.
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Billy Walker wrote: December 28, 2021, 7:48 pm
Easily
3rded!
There’s a NSW SOO centre, a kiwi international centre and a bloke voted by the GH as being up there with Mal as the best centres in the history of the club and you 3 have a bloke who hasn’t played first grade in the centres ahead of them. Ok.
A SOO Centre? CNK was played there in order to fit in him in the Kiwi side - he could be a good centre. Croker has had a good centre but even you can admit that he is probably past it.

I agree with the sentiment though. It is a bit too early to judge him as a first grade centre considering he hasn’t played there in first grade.

Centres and second rowers are a worry to be fair. A lot of conjecture.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

A guy who's played one game for the club at NRL level in the centres, when most of the team was rested, is our number one centre.

Ok.

I'll see you in the New Year, GH.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Easily
3rded!
afgtnk wrote: December 28, 2021, 9:50 pm A guy who's played one game for the club at NRL level in the centres, when most of the team was rested, is our number one centre.

Ok.

Gents,
Im semi confident you are taking the piss, but...

We have had the SOO centre debate. It's the least sexy and important position in the game ATM. So centres don't get to play, it's FBs, backrowers or 5/8s. This occasionally spreads over to the international games.

As for Jarrod, his health, and recent form precludes him from being the best centre currently. This doesn't preclude him from a "best of 40yrs" team, as that's picked from career achievement.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Matt wrote: December 29, 2021, 6:52 am
Easily
3rded!
afgtnk wrote: December 28, 2021, 9:50 pm A guy who's played one game for the club at NRL level in the centres, when most of the team was rested, is our number one centre.

Ok.

Gents,

We have had the SOO centre debate. It's the least sexy and important position in the game ATM. So centres don't get to play, it's FBs, backrowers or 5/8s. This occasionally spreads over to the international games.

As for Jarrod, his health, and recent form precludes him from being the best centre currently. This doesn't preclude him from a "best of 40yrs" team, as that's picked from career achievement.
Yeah but best is different to most potential or potentially. If you had said the latter than that is at least a debate. With Timoko at least, I would agree with you.

But saying he is the best is a bit of a long bow. He could potentially be for sure (I actually think he might be and would like him to picked there) but it is a bit hard to judge seeing he has only played one game there.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Colk wrote: December 29, 2021, 9:56 am

Easily
3rded!

Ok.

Gents,

Yeah but best is different to most potential or potentially. If you had said the latter than that is at least a debate. With Timoko at least, I would agree with you.

But saying he is the best is a bit of a long bow. He could potentially be for sure (I actually think he might be and would like him to picked there) but it is a bit hard to judge seeing he has only played one game there.
It's only a long bow if you haven't seen these guys play in lower grades. Body of work and ability can't be solely NRL based.

I've been watching most of these guys since they came through SG Ball, Flegg, u20s, NSW Cup. So 16-ish, on and off. This includes Croker, but HSS, Kris, Timoko, Cotric I saw come through the grades.

Cotric and HSS came into 1st grade and had the maturity of seasoned vets. Some of the patience, esp defensively, is hard to teach, its usually learnt, and in FG it's normally tough lessons - Semi, Edrick, Simmo, even Croker.

Only Croker didn't have a FG frame, but I'd say that has more to do with strength and conditioning advancement than anything else.

We have all talked about Crokers limitations at this point in his career. We have seen Kris's lateral movement/defensive issues. As for Timoko vs HSS, I'd say maturity and an ability to setup others is the difference (yes, I know Timoko had a couple of TAs late last yr, but the passes weren't exactly crisp). Timoko is more dynamic, but HSS is more rounded and polished IMO.

Thats where my comments are coming from.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I’m sticking solid, HSS is the best centre at the club.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Squad Game: Raiders 2022 roster changes and best 17

One of the biggest underperformers of 2021, the Raiders had several unexpected issues but the mid-year departure of halfback George Williams and long-term injury to fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad were among the biggest. Jamal Fogarty is a very handy pick-up in the halves and the return of Nick Cotric is a boost to the backline stocks.

Possible best 17
1. Xavier Savage, 2. Jordan Rapana, 3. Jarrod Croker, 4. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, 5. Nick Cotric, 6. Jack Wighton, 7. Jamal Fogarty, 8. Josh Papalii, 9. Josh Hodgson, 10. Ryan Sutton, 11. Hudson Young, 12. Adam Elliott, 13. Elliott Whitehead, 14. Tom Starling, 15. Joseph Tapine, 16. Corey Horsburgh, 17. Corey Harawira-Naera

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/12/29/squ ... d-best-17/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They have that pretty seriously wrong in places.
Floydd
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Floydd »

greeneyed wrote: December 29, 2021, 5:14 pm They have that pretty seriously wrong in places.
Agreed. For one, I think Young will be lucky to get a run in first grade let alone in the starting side. His defense is not up to first grade standard, imho.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Matt wrote: December 29, 2021, 1:59 pm

3rded!

Ok.

Gents,

It's only a long bow if you haven't seen these guys play in lower grades. Body of work and ability can't be solely NRL based.

I've been watching most of these guys since they came through SG Ball, Flegg, u20s, NSW Cup. So 16-ish, on and off. This includes Croker, but HSS, Kris, Timoko, Cotric I saw come through the grades.

Cotric and HSS came into 1st grade and had the maturity of seasoned vets. Some of the patience, esp defensively, is hard to teach, its usually learnt, and in FG it's normally tough lessons - Semi, Edrick, Simmo, even Croker.

Only Croker didn't have a FG frame, but I'd say that has more to do with strength and conditioning advancement than anything else.

We have all talked about Crokers limitations at this point in his career. We have seen Kris's lateral movement/defensive issues. As for Timoko vs HSS, I'd say maturity and an ability to setup others is the difference (yes, I know Timoko had a couple of TAs late last yr, but the passes weren't exactly crisp). Timoko is more dynamic, but HSS is more rounded and polished IMO.

Fair enough. Maybe I’m slightly more cautious in nature.

I do remember seeing Timoko and HSS in juniors and they were always impressive. Also, their first grade appearances have been promising and I would pick both moving forward. Nevertheless, I would reserve judgement until I see them over a longer period of time and in the case of HSS at centre (he might follow a similar trajectory to Cotric for all we know- centre at junior level but a better winger in first grade)

I also agree with you regarding the weaknesses of both Croker and Kris at centre. Kris may have potential as a backrower, as he is quite big and seems to be strong at line running. He would obviously have to tackle more but it is a thought.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Yes, that backrow is very ordinary. Also they have moved Croker to the other side which seems very strange.

You would worry about our second rowers and centres if they trotted out that side. I’m hoping that HSS and Timoko establish themselves as centres (or at least one) and that somebody comes through the ranks at second row
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Colk wrote: December 29, 2021, 5:50 pm
Matt wrote: December 29, 2021, 1:59 pm

Ok.

Gents,

Fair enough. Maybe I’m slightly more cautious in nature.

I do remember seeing Timoko and HSS in juniors and they were always impressive. Also, their first grade appearances have been promising and I would pick both moving forward. Nevertheless, I would reserve judgement until I see them over a longer period of time and in the case of HSS at centre (he might follow a similar trajectory to Cotric for all we know- centre at junior level but a better winger in first grade)

I also agree with you regarding the weaknesses of both Croker and Kris at centre. Kris may have potential as a backrower, as he is quite big and seems to be strong at line running. He would obviously have to tackle more but it is a thought.
Yeah, I'd like to see Kris convert, or at least be a tweener.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Colk wrote: December 29, 2021, 5:54 pm Yes, that backrow is very ordinary. Also they have moved Croker to the other side which seems very strange.

You would worry about our second rowers and centres if they trotted out that side. I’m hoping that HSS and Timoko establish themselves as centres (or at least one) and that somebody comes through the ranks at second row
Croker is #3, Rapa and Cotric were reversed.

If CHN is on the bench EVERYONE is kidding themselves. He is the best edge backrower we have for the modern game.

I can get on board splitting up Papa and Tarpz with Sutto though.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: December 29, 2021, 5:13 pm Squad Game: Raiders 2022 roster changes and best 17

One of the biggest underperformers of 2021, the Raiders had several unexpected issues but the mid-year departure of halfback George Williams and long-term injury to fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad were among the biggest. Jamal Fogarty is a very handy pick-up in the halves and the return of Nick Cotric is a boost to the backline stocks.

Possible best 17
1. Xavier Savage, 2. Jordan Rapana, 3. Jarrod Croker, 4. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, 5. Nick Cotric, 6. Jack Wighton, 7. Jamal Fogarty, 8. Josh Papalii, 9. Josh Hodgson, 10. Ryan Sutton, 11. Hudson Young, 12. Adam Elliott, 13. Elliott Whitehead, 14. Tom Starling, 15. Joseph Tapine, 16. Corey Horsburgh, 17. Corey Harawira-Naera

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/12/29/squ ... d-best-17/
I’m not sure who’s piece this is but..NO.

Timoko and HSS will be there somewhere.

Savage isn’t making my starting back 5.
GreenGirl
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by GreenGirl »

Easily
3rded!
There’s a NSW SOO and Australian international centre, a kiwi international centre and a bloke voted by the GH as being up there with Mal as the best centres in the history of the club and you 3 have a bloke who hasn’t played first grade in the centres ahead of them. Ok.
Corrected :P
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

17 under 21: The best youngsters in the NRL

2. Xavier Savage (Canberra Raiders)
Age at December 31, 2021: 19
NRL games: 3

Savage has to settle for a spot on the wing in this team, but that isn't where he will be playing come Round 1 in 2022. So highly rated is the 19-year-old that he will knock Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad - who is returning from injury - into the centres for the upcoming season.

13. Trey Mooney (Canberra Raiders)
NRL games: 0

Mooney is one player who is likely to debut this season. The lock forward was a major coup for the Raiders, who signed him from Parramatta. The young gun has ball-playing to go with running and tackling efficiency to match any lock in the competition even at his young age.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/17-under-21- ... rl-112870/
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: December 29, 2021, 5:14 pm They have that pretty seriously wrong in places.
If Adam Elliot leapfrogs CHN into a starting 2nd rowers spot then both those players, the entire Dogs organisation and me will be astounded.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: December 29, 2021, 10:05 pm 17 under 21: The best youngsters in the NRL

2. Xavier Savage (Canberra Raiders)
NRL games: 3

Savage has to settle for a spot on the wing in this team, but that isn't where he will be playing come Round 1 in 2022. So highly rated is the 19-year-old that he will knock Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad - who is returning from injury - into the centres for the upcoming season.

13. Trey Mooney (Canberra Raiders)
NRL games: 0

Mooney is one player who is likely to debut this season. The lock forward was a major coup for the Raiders, who signed him from Parramatta. The young gun has ball-playing to go with running and tackling efficiency to match any lock in the competition even at his young age.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/17-under-21- ... rl-112870/
Wow. Some of these articles seem very certain Savage is FB. But interviews with White etc say otherwise... Something to chew on in the off season.

Mooney really does have a shot at zooming up the middle charts. Depending how/who Ricky plays at lock he's probably only got to unseat Horse and Elliot to grab himself a bench spot at least. Guler wasn't impressive last season either and will need to keep improving.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’d suggest you want your greatest talents in the most key positions. I’ve no doubt Savage has potential to be a great winger, but If he can become a great fullback that is one more important piece of the premiership puzzle sorted.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Matt wrote: December 29, 2021, 7:14 pm
Colk wrote: December 29, 2021, 5:54 pm Yes, that backrow is very ordinary. Also they have moved Croker to the other side which seems very strange.

If CHN is on the bench EVERYONE is kidding themselves. He is the best edge backrower we have for the modern game.

JC has to prove his fitness for FG. That alone will be a tough ask. I would start with HSS and Timoko as the center pair when the first of the trials come around. Rapa, when available, has to be on the right wing for mine.

CHN is easily the best running backrow player we have. He should start on the right with EW on the left.

I expect to see CNK start at fullback. He is the current FB and I want to see what the added off season sprint training has done for him in that position.

Middle forwards will be a bench shuffle. Papa, Tapine and Sutton for sure, then in no particular order Horspower, Hola, Rushton, Guler, Mooney.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I agree with most of that Red except the “he is the current fullback” argument. Sam Williams is our current half but when something better arrives you don’t constrain yourself with loyalty.

I’m tipping Rapa and EW will both have disappointing final years in 2022.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Come around 1 this is what Your would do:

1. CNK
2. Cotric
3. Smith-Shields
4. Timoko
5. Savage
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. Young
12. CHN
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Elliot
16. Tapine
17. Mooney

*Rapana unavailable (suspended)
*Croker unavailable (injury-not ready)

My plan would be to use CNK and Savage in a shared role similar to that of Mini and RTS back in the day.

Guler, Horsburgh, Hola, Rushton, Kris,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

RedRaider wrote: December 30, 2021, 7:37 am
Matt wrote: December 29, 2021, 7:14 pm

JC has to prove his fitness for FG. That alone will be a tough ask. I would start with HSS and Timoko as the center pair when the first of the trials come around. Rapa, when available, has to be on the right wing for mine.

CHN is easily the best running backrow player we have. He should start on the right with EW on the left.

I expect to see CNK start at fullback. He is the current FB and I want to see what the added off season sprint training has done for him in that position.

Middle forwards will be a bench shuffle. Papa, Tapine and Sutton for sure, then in no particular order Horspower, Hola, Rushton, Guler, Mooney.
Yep. I like that
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: December 30, 2021, 7:33 am I’d suggest you want your greatest talents in the most key positions. I’ve no doubt Savage has potential to be a great winger, but If he can become a great fullback that is one more important piece of the premiership puzzle sorted.
Fair point.

You don't NEED a star level FB (as in, top4-5 in position) to win the comp but it sure helps. And it helps more than a star winger.