All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2022

Post by Billy Walker »

Good read this…

How Slater’s Origin phone call to Raiders teen ignited No.1 battle: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... f2c1aedfbb

A few observations:

1. Savage comes across as very modest, respectful and well spoken - go him!

2. Kind of says it all that he’s is on the QLD radar but not a locked in first grader here.

3. CNK acknowledges he hasn’t got speed or a passing game then say he’s focused on his running game rather than developing a passing game.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Billy Walker wrote: February 9, 2022, 6:46 am
gangrenous wrote: February 9, 2022, 5:38 am I’m not particularly fussed. He’s going to, and we’ll see what happens from there.

But I know your opinion very well. I’ve read it over 100 times on here (and I doubt that’s hyperbole, if I searched I’m confident your posts on Croker well exceed that).

You’re not adding anything new to the conversation. Just a broken record spamming threads with the same opinion. Do Lent early and abstain from posting about Croker, you’ve got some good posts when you do.
When you say you’re not particularly fussed, that seems an odd one to me. For everyone’s differences of opinion on here, I’d say the commonality is we all want to see the raiders succeed. I feel there is almost an ideological barrier to success at the club based around a loyalty to the past and an unwillingness to empower youth. Croker is the prime example of it for me and has been for a long time. He epitomises an apparent mindset in the club that tried and true is good and change might be bad.

There is a plenty of discussion on here, supported by Ricky’s recent comments that we need to put Savage on some long term development plan towards first grade. I bet those exciting twigs Jayden Campbell and Dane Laurie don’t go the same path. Penrith are premiers by letting a bunch of kids bring the energy, set the culture and drive the success. It was a wild ride with some bumps along the way (Tyrone May especially) but ultimately winners are grinners.

I am particularly fussed - I’d like to see raiders successful again and not just settle for mediocrity. But let’s be honest - I think we do settle for mediocrity as a club and as a supporter base. It would be a surprise if we make top 4 this year so instead we focus on individual games and point scoring records as if they somehow matter.

The Broncos are hot trash at the moment. Playing rubbish football and an unhappy club that can’t keep players. They are in a deep hole at a time when another Brisbane team is entering the comp. But the club and their supporters demand success and don’t glorify or hold onto players that don’t bring it. I’ll bet the Broncos are back winning a premiership before us and when they do we will be here arguing over whether one of our ageing players should be extended for 3 years or 4 years.

I reckon it’s worth getting particularly fussed about these things Gangers. I’ve supported the raiders through lean times, great times and lean times again and I can tell you, like a lot of things in life - it’s a lot more fun doing it when you’re on top!
Hmm
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: September 23, 2023, 10:18 pm
gangrenous wrote: February 9, 2022, 5:38 am I’m not particularly fussed. He’s going to, and we’ll see what happens from there.

But I know your opinion very well. I’ve read it over 100 times on here (and I doubt that’s hyperbole, if I searched I’m confident your posts on Croker well exceed that).

You’re not adding anything new to the conversation. Just a broken record spamming threads with the same opinion. Do Lent early and abstain from posting about Croker, you’ve got some good posts when you do.
When you say you’re not particularly fussed, that seems an odd one to me. For everyone’s differences of opinion on here, I’d say the commonality is we all want to see the raiders succeed. I feel there is almost an ideological barrier to success at the club based around a loyalty to the past and an unwillingness to empower youth. Croker is the prime example of it for me and has been for a long time. He epitomises an apparent mindset in the club that tried and true is good and change might be bad.

There is a plenty of discussion on here, supported by Ricky’s recent comments that we need to put Savage on some long term development plan towards first grade. I bet those exciting twigs Jayden Campbell and Dane Laurie don’t go the same path. Penrith are premiers by letting a bunch of kids bring the energy, set the culture and drive the success. It was a wild ride with some bumps along the way (Tyrone May especially) but ultimately winners are grinners.

I am particularly fussed - I’d like to see raiders successful again and not just settle for mediocrity. But let’s be honest - I think we do settle for mediocrity as a club and as a supporter base. It would be a surprise if we make top 4 this year so instead we focus on individual games and point scoring records as if they somehow matter.

The Broncos are hot trash at the moment. Playing rubbish football and an unhappy club that can’t keep players. They are in a deep hole at a time when another Brisbane team is entering the comp. But the club and their supporters demand success and don’t glorify or hold onto players that don’t bring it. I’ll bet the Broncos are back winning a premiership before us and when they do we will be here arguing over whether one of our ageing players should be extended for 3 years or 4 years.

I reckon it’s worth getting particularly fussed about these things Gangers. I’ve supported the raiders through lean times, great times and lean times again and I can tell you, like a lot of things in life - it’s a lot more fun doing it when you’re on top!
Hmm
What, you’re saying you’re happy the Broncos have made the Grand Final? I’m shocked.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2023, 10:22 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 23, 2023, 10:18 pm

Hmm
What, you’re saying you’re happy the Broncos have made the Grand Final? I’m shocked.
No I’m saying that unfortunately my prediction that the raiders would put the wrong values on things was very prophetic. I didn’t expect our coach to actually admit he prioritised milestones over victories but we all heard him. At the time I made this post Brisbane were genuine spoon contenders. Now they are premiership contenders and we haven’t moved and are still debating the same issues. Extremely frustrating!

And I’ll be cheering the pahs next week. Love the exuberance and passion they bring!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gangrenous wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:Lengthy post on tangent
You’re still trying to convince me. There is nothing of your view on this topic that I don’t already know. I’m not here saying you’re wrong, I’m saying you’ve said everything you possibly could on the topic multiple times and it’s time to give it a rest until something meaningful changes.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

It’s an interesting read scrolling through the last few pages and concerning how the issues we will be debating heading into season 2024 haven’t changed from what we were discussing leading into season 2022.

In a competition that is governed by a salary cap I really think we give our club way too much of a leave pass when build excuses around beaches, climate, nightlife etc. The whole attitude needs to change, we are not victims, brawlers and constantly under siege. How do you recruit to that??? Join our cause?