2022 New halfback?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: 2022 New halfback?

Post by SeeBee101 »

Seems all roads now point to Widdop. I will be happy with that as long as the deal isn't longer than 2 years. Hopefully by then we can move up one of our youngsters or hit the market.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue - Ethan Strange

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Johnson returning to Warriors: Kiwi star signs for 2022

The Warriors have scored a massive signings coup with one of their favourite sons, Shaun Johnson, returning to the club in 2022. Warriors CEO Cameron George on Friday revealed the long-time fan favourite has agreed on terms to return to the club on a two-year deal from next season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/25/joh ... -for-2022/
Perth Based Raiders Fan
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: June 25, 2021, 10:25 am
kiwi raider wrote: June 25, 2021, 10:16 am
SeeBee101 wrote: June 25, 2021, 10:12 am Johnson rumored to have signed with the Warriors for 2 years. Seems like every other team is strengthening and we aren't doing squat. Looking forward to the wooden spoon race for next few years...
yea its confirmed on warriors social media etc
Im surprised by that, they didnt think he was good enough and sent him packing, rather unceremoniously I thought... i figured the bridges might have been burnt there. Or am i misremembering his departure?
i dont think they ever though he wasnt good enough it was about value for money, they had overspent the cap and didn't think he was worth 1m anymore, and probably rightly so. at 500-600k he's a different proposition, especially with Nikorima likely leaving and CHT really struggling to create anything as a halfback at nrl level(and also being injured more than Johnson!)
I think the person who had the most to do with his exit was Brian Smith who has since been given the boot.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: June 25, 2021, 10:25 am
kiwi raider wrote: June 25, 2021, 10:16 am
SeeBee101 wrote: June 25, 2021, 10:12 am Johnson rumored to have signed with the Warriors for 2 years. Seems like every other team is strengthening and we aren't doing squat. Looking forward to the wooden spoon race for next few years...
yea its confirmed on warriors social media etc
Im surprised by that, they didnt think he was good enough and sent him packing, rather unceremoniously I thought... i figured the bridges might have been burnt there. Or am i misremembering his departure?
Money and management was the issue back then.
He isnt wanting 1mill anymore.
Those people are no longer at warriors.
Also a paid trip home for what could be his last contract
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Gareth Widdop completely stunk without a proper halfback at the Dragons. Anytime his #7 was missing, he was terrible.

He won’t be getting one here, he’ll be expected to be that player!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

yeh raiders wrote: June 25, 2021, 11:27 am Gareth Widdop completely stunk without a proper halfback at the Dragons. Anytime his #7 was missing, he was terrible.

He won’t be getting one here, he’ll be expected to be that player!
That's because he's a 6.
He's playing second receiver in the UK...
Not an "organising halfback" or traditional 7....asking for trouble if we sign him.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Johnson was overpaid and under delivering at the Warriors. Then again, most of their players were.

SJ was as flakey as it came when he last played for them. Not quite Chris Sandow flakey, but incredibly inconsistent for a $1m investment.

I hope he goes well for the Warriors sake. It would be good to see them competitive without RTS.
Sydney_Raider
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Sydney_Raider »

A few clubs sniffing around Cade Cust from Manly. Won't get a run there with DCE, Foran and Schuster. I think he would be a handy pick up if we offer him the 7 jumper and he trains exclusively in that position.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Johnson and Walsh are going to be a good combo. His presence alone is going to create space that their current halves don't enjoy.
This could be headed towards a Brooks signing for us.... but at least we avoided having 2 flakes in the line when we passed on Dufty.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Sydney_Raider wrote: June 25, 2021, 12:01 pm A few clubs sniffing around Cade Cust from Manly. Won't get a run there with DCE, Foran and Schuster. I think he would be a handy pick up if we offer him the 7 jumper and he trains exclusively in that position.
Can't say I've noticed him do much in his cameos for Manly. Admittedly he's been filling gaps as a utility. Might be OK if he was settled as a halfback. One of those low risk signings with decent upside provided we're not banking on him as our starting no7.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

zim wrote: June 25, 2021, 12:05 pm Johnson and Walsh are going to be a good combo. His presence alone is going to create space that their current halves don't enjoy.
This could be headed towards a Brooks signing for us.... but at least we avoided having 2 flakes in the line when we passed on Dufty.
Add in CHT and that forward pack. Warriors might have a legit side.
But...
They are still the Warriors, so can't trust them.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: June 25, 2021, 2:58 pm
Sydney_Raider wrote: June 25, 2021, 12:01 pm A few clubs sniffing around Cade Cust from Manly. Won't get a run there with DCE, Foran and Schuster. I think he would be a handy pick up if we offer him the 7 jumper and he trains exclusively in that position.
Can't say I've noticed him do much in his cameos for Manly. Admittedly he's been filling gaps as a utility. Might be OK if he was settled as a halfback. One of those low risk signings with decent upside provided we're not banking on him as our starting no7.
Been a while since he has played 7. Been playing 9 for at least 2 yrs now.
But...
Could easily be a CNK type pickup
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: June 25, 2021, 5:57 pm
But...
That's why I'm not going to write him off. He came through juniors as a halfback with big raps. Be shoe horned into a different role in the NRL because of DCE's presence. Only 22 so time on his side.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: June 25, 2021, 7:46 pm
Matt wrote: June 25, 2021, 5:57 pm
But...
That's why I'm not going to write him off. He came through juniors as a halfback with big raps. Be shoe horned into a different role in the NRL because of DCE's presence. Only 22 so time on his side.
Yup. If your going to gamble, youth with reputation isn't a bad way to go
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If you're going to take a gamble and swing for the fences on something you know you're probably not going to hit a HR on, to me they should fit into one of these categories:

a) high pedigree young blokes who havent really had a proper chance to fail yet
b) guys who have played at a truly elite level at some point of their careers but for one reason or another, are distressed assets

If you're a mid 20s player, with 150 games to your name and have never been an elite player at your position... i dont know what im gambling on there? The upside of "yeah, he's actually not bad!" just isnt what im looking for.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: June 25, 2021, 8:08 pm If you're going to take a gamble and swing for the fences on something you know you're probably not going to hit a HR on, to me they should fit into one of these categories:

a) high pedigree young blokes who havent really had a proper chance to fail yet
b) guys who have played at a truly elite level at some point of their careers but for one reason or another, are distressed assets

If you're a mid 20s player, with 150 games to your name and have never been an elite player at your position... i dont know what im gambling on there? The upside of "yeah, he's actually not bad!" just isnt what im looking for.
How about Luke Brooks?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think that post covered him.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Thanks dubs
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

ugh... got me... that's a bad one too. Yikes. Shameful.
effitall
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

I'm convinced we're going to end up signing Cade Cust.

There was talk we were keen on him a year or two ago but I can't find any mention of it now.

The Warriors were reported to be interested in signing him but that may now no longer be the case as they've signed Johnson.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Cust is a handy back up utility at a minimum so worth having in the squad. Just wouldn't bank on him being our solution at half.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

What Johnson’s shock move means for NRL’s $6.6m halves merry-go-round

The Raiders were considered a potential landing spot for Shaun Johnson as a replacement for George Williams, who returned to the UK. However Johnson’s return to the Warriors means that the Raiders will have to look elsewhere unless they want to put faith in veteran Sam Williams, who is also off-contract to partner Jack Wighton in the halves.

The Raiders have also been linked with former Storm and Dragons five-eighth Gareth Widdop but Canberra may be a bit far away from his family, who he is keen to reunite with in Australia. Either way, with Johnson heading to the Warriors they are likely to face competition.

OFF-CONTRACT HALVES 2021: Anthony Milford (Broncos), Matt Frawley (Raiders), Sam Williams (Raiders), Lachlan Lewis (Bulldogs), Matt Moylan (Sharks), Ashley Taylor (Titans), Dylan Walker (Sea Eagles), Ryley Jacks (Storm), Cooper Johns (Storm), Sean O’Sullivan (Warriors), Connor Watson (Knights), Will Smith (Eels), Tyrone May (Panthers), Benji Marshall (Rabbitohs), Corey Norman (Dragons), Drew Hutchison (Roosters), Billy Walters (Tigers)

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 82e73731c5
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What a list!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 25, 2021, 9:14 pmWhat a list!
Haha **** depressing isn't it?
Goerge Williams wasnt a perfect fit by any means but he was a damn good player and he's really left us in quite a predictiment.

I legit looked over that list and was like "Ohh Ash Tayl... christ. This sucks."
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Incredible to think what hot property Moylan, Taylor and Milford once were... to be now basically unwanted

It's so hard to be a halfback, you have to be able to run, pass, long kick, short kick. Any one of those missing and it's a deal-breaker really
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I don't think Ash Taylor has been that bad... but not inspiring and probably no better than Sam Williams. Doesn't seem to have a running game at all anymore

Makes me think all the more, gee I hope it was the right decision to pull out of Dufty
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Are we better off developing our own and hope we get a good solid FG from them. Souths appear to be going down this road.
What do our junior halves look like? We have Schneider , who else looks likely from them.

The above list is ugly , not even worth trying to get one on the cheap.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sione Moala is the SG Ball half. He’s been good in that grade, but I’m not confident he’ll be a top line NRL half to be honest.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: June 25, 2021, 9:40 pm Are we better off developing our own and hope we get a good solid FG from them. Souths appear to be going down this road.
What do our junior halves look like? We have Schneider , who else looks likely from them.

The above list is ugly , not even worth trying to get one on the cheap.
based on what we have available to us, feels like maybe the best way forward might be to restructure some deals, upgrade and flatten the curve for some players now and address other needs and keep flexibility about the halfback spot
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 25, 2021, 9:42 pm Sione Moala is the SG Ball half. He’s been good in that grade, but I’m not confident he’ll be a top line NRL half to be honest.
I think he's got a better shot than Schnider if im honest...
But im not confident we have the long term option in house if im perfectly honest
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: June 25, 2021, 9:45 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 25, 2021, 9:42 pm Sione Moala is the SG Ball half. He’s been good in that grade, but I’m not confident he’ll be a top line NRL half to be honest.
But im not confident we have the long term option in house if im perfectly honest
I don’t think so either. I hope I’m wrong in that assessment. I’ve been wrong plenty of times.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 25, 2021, 9:53 pm
Botman wrote: June 25, 2021, 9:45 pm
I don’t think so either. I hope I’m wrong in that assessment. I’ve been wrong plenty of times.
You always want to be wrong on these things and the development curve for halves is sometimes pretty wild... but i dont have a lot of confidence in the current halves at our club

And there is not a lot on offer.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

At the risk of sounding like a broken recor...... no, wait. I don't care about that. At all.

Brooks is one of the best options we can take with most of the attributes required.
Start **** chipping away at the Tigers, sell it as a chance to finally play for a half decent team, with a decent forward pack (albeit with glaring issues to fix) and get the **** deal done with some freight chucked in.

At the moment we've got **** nothing and it's absolutely grim. A spine of Nickel Klewshstar/Simple J/Sam/Starling is not giving us any chance.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Has anybody considered Luke Brooks as an option?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:Has anybody considered Luke Brooks as an option?
This is new to me, tell me more

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk