Canberra Raiders interest in Matt Dufty goes cold

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly cool interest in Matt Dufty

Post by greeneyed »

Definitely, the 2021 new rules should all be unwound. They were a step too far. I'd like to see two referees brought back and less reliance on the the bunker. Phil Gould was arguing last night that the sin bins for high tackles is also a significant factor, as it is producing more submissive defence. There needs to be a different solution found there, not entirely sure what that is. You have to try and reduce high contact. Sin bins are definitely the wrong solution... and there are other low hanging fruit (like consistency in the judiciary process, tougher suspensions). Maybe if we can also wind back the fatigue factor that'll also help with the injuries.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 5, 2021, 2:53 pm I'm yet to be convinced that attack is now the best form of defence in this comp. In fact, I think that's a complete furphy.

From where I am standing we were right in that Titans game for the first 30 minutes, despite the fact we leaked tons of field position when they tore us to shreds on the right 2 or 3 times. They scored 5 tries (28 points) in the two 10 minute periods either side of half time. 99% of that was due to a combination of poor attitude and not being well drilled.

Expecting a ball playing fullback, who is an absolute liability in defence and has a tendency to go AWOL more often than Sam Williams, to drag us out of this predicament is unbelievable to me.
No.
We had momentum at the start of the match and failed to do anything with it (because of our now famous "clunky attack").

Heads went down the minute the Titans scored, then they grabbed momentum and converted momentum into points.

The game is about WINNING MOMENTUM and CONVERTING MOMENTUM INTO POINTS (yes I'm shouting).

If you don't turn moment into points you are wasting energy and potentially opening up yourself to fatigue later in the game when momentum swings against you.

Imagine being Papalli after that stellar first stint and seeing a big fat duck egg for points....What do you think that does to the mentality? Now extrapolate that across the entire team..its deflating.

The attack is a failure because our ignorant gormless worm of a " Head coach" decided that he would run attack (thinking it was 2019 again) and then proceeded to further hamper himself by selecting players who are finished competitively and physically in the backline over younger, faster more potent attacking threats..

The game is about attack more than ever and building enough of a buffer with points, while you have momentum. The minute you fail to do that you open the door for the opposition and good luck trying to defend that with the shape of the current squad.

We fail in 2 areas:

1. Squad make up (clearly Ricky thought the game would continue the trajectory of 2019 - arm wrestle, grind and scrap).
2. Attack - linked to point 1 (lack of the right tools) but also lacking in the tactical sense too.

How many teams kicked on tackle 3 or 4 over the weekend while they had momentum? Clearly shows a lack of situational awareness...the team stuck to the rigid inept tactics they were ordered to apply rather than seeing they had the chance to win the game or go on the front foot first.

Until the two elements are sorted, were ****.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Been saying it all year
The game is now about taking advantage of momentum swings when they come your way.
We can not win games when we have periods of 20-30 minutes of dominance and if we're lucky, we turn that into 12 points... in many cases its 6 or less

Because even average teams over that kind of period are going to put 12-18 on you... The elite teams can put 30+ on you and the game is gone.
This nonsense where we can just defend and grind our way to wins at a 18-14 score line is dead under the current rules.
We're not remotely good enough defensively to withstand the pressures that today's game provides attacking teams and frankly I dont think any team is.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Pete Cash wrote: July 6, 2021, 7:27 am
We convert that good field position into points in the first 30 minutes then it's the titans who start to feel the pressure of momentum.

Nrl players are only human. What is happening is that players are gassing out under pressure of how fast the game is
I think this is a point that's easily and commonly missed. It's easy to say oh they're professional, xyz shouldn't bother them... but the fact is, they do get bothered by things, frustrated etc (eg from not scoring after having territorial dominance). I'm sure their actual output is lower at those times too. You can see it when a team gets a "spring in their step" after they score a try. A good coach and systems can minimise that but not eliminate it
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

gotta say, haven't felt so disengaged from the game in a long time.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: July 6, 2021, 10:39 am Definitely, the 2021 new rules should all be unwound. They were a step too far. I'd like to see two referees brought back and less reliance on the the bunker. Phil Gould was arguing last night that the sin bins for high tackles is also a significant factor, as it is producing more submissive defence. There needs to be a different solution found there, not entirely sure what that is. You have to try and reduce high contact. Sin bins are definitely the wrong solution... and there are other low hanging fruit (like consistency in the judiciary process, tougher suspensions). Maybe if we can also wind back the fatigue factor that'll also help with the injuries.
I have to say, to me it seems more players are copping headknocks than ever before. It could well be the fact we now proactively stop the game, but it does make the game harder to support when you see guys going down from heavy knocks pretty much every game.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Couldn't agree more with Green Machine and Botman above. We need players to capitalise on the momentum swings and convert this into points - Melbourne, Penrith, Manly, Souths and Roosters do it well. 4 tries in 12 mins and you are out of it. Our backline and play within the 20 m zone hasn't improved from 2019. We are one of the worst sides in that regard and our attack is no better than Canterbury's.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

According to league_of_inches on Instagram, Dufty is seeking an immediate release to join the Raiders.

I would say it’s not legitimate, but makes sense I guess?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

UncleDrew wrote: July 6, 2021, 1:18 pm According to league_of_inches on Instagram, Dufty is seeking an immediate release to join the raiders. I would say it’s not legitimate, but makes sense I guess?
Apparently he already signed with us weeks ago, for a 3 year deal. Just ask radicalraider
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

UncleDrew wrote: July 6, 2021, 1:18 pm According to league_of_inches on Instagram, Dufty is seeking an immediate release to join the raiders. I would say it’s not legitimate, but makes sense I guess?
Will serve his one match ban for the COVID breach once he's on our books. Raiders will probably cop a fine from the NRL too.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

As bad as his defence is, I’m still on board for what he can do for our attack. We badly lack pace, and it’s what he brings.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Timbo wrote: July 6, 2021, 2:37 pm As bad as his defence is, I’m still on board for what he can do for our attack. We badly lack pace, and it’s what he brings.
I agree that Dufty would improve the team and if it's for $500k or less you'd make the move. I just wish we were a little bit more ambitious when it comes to recruitment. The 2023 market isn't bad for FB and we'd be kidding not to have a crack come November for an early release.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Pete Cash wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: July 5, 2021, 2:53 pm I'm yet to be convinced that attack is now the best form of defence in this comp. In fact, I think that's a complete furphy.

From where I am standing we were right in that Titans game for the first 30 minutes, despite the fact we leaked tons of field position when they tore us to shreds on the right 2 or 3 times. They scored 5 tries (28 points) in the two 10 minute periods either side of half time. 99% of that was due to a combination of poor attitude and not being well drilled.

Expecting a ball playing fullback, who is an absolute liability in defence and has a tendency to go AWOL more often than Sam Williams, to drag us out of this predicament is unbelievable to me.
We convert that good field position into points in the first 30 minutes then it's the titans who start to feel the pressure of momentum.

Nrl players are only human. What is happening is that players are gassing out under pressure of how fast the game is

I think this very good article

https://pythagonrl.com/2021/07/04/its-n ... six-again/

Outlines the issues the bad teams face. It's critically important to score with field position and we aren't doing that. Would we have scored if it's dufty getting the offloads from papa at the start of the game and not hodgson ? I think it's more likely

That's not to say dufty solves everything but someone like dufty is required because he is fast and can play ball

The storm are honestly heading to a +500 f/a. There is a gigantic gap between sides. Wasting momentum is a death sentence in current year nrl
Interesting article.

We are not a good attacking team right now. We weren't particularly good last year either. The difference this year is we are incapable of maintaining pressure as our defence is so useless we are leaking field position all over the park.

For ever and a day teams have regularly struggled to get over the line in the first 20 minutes of games when the defence is fresh. Good teams persist, maintain pressure and ultimately run over the top of inferior teams.

Yes our attack sucks, but we do have a couple of attacking weapons. We have led at half time in the majority of games this year. IMO the big issue is that we do not sustain any level of pressure on the opposition.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Azza wrote:gotta say, haven't felt so disengaged from the game in a long time.
Me too. The game as a whole is becoming very, very boring. Half the time it turns into a glorified version of Oztag.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

What have you people got against Oztag?
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 6, 2021, 7:58 pm
Pete Cash wrote:

I think this very good article

https://pythagonrl.com/2021/07/04/its-n ... six-again/

Outlines the issues the bad teams face. It's critically important to score with field position and we aren't doing that. Would we have scored if it's dufty getting the offloads from papa at the start of the game and not hodgson ? I think it's more likely

That's not to say dufty solves everything but someone like dufty is required because he is fast and can play ball

The storm are honestly heading to a +500 f/a. There is a gigantic gap between sides. Wasting momentum is a death sentence in current year nrl
Interesting article.

We are not a good attacking team right now. We weren't particularly good last year either. The difference this year is we are incapable of maintaining pressure as our defence is so useless we are leaking field position all over the park.

For ever and a day teams have regularly struggled to get over the line in the first 20 minutes of games when the defence is fresh. Good teams persist, maintain pressure and ultimately run over the top of inferior teams.

Yes our attack sucks, but we do have a couple of attacking weapons. We have led at half time in the majority of games this year. IMO the big issue is that we do not sustain any level of pressure on the opposition.

We’ve never had a coherent structure or plan to our sets inside attacking 20 the entire time Rick has coached us. With the exception of the brief era’s of Blake Austin’s dummy and go and the toss it to BJ/JB and have them create something on the edge - we’ve looked impotent in the red zone for the last decade
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Rickmando wrote: July 6, 2021, 8:05 pm We’ve never had a coherent structure or plan to our sets inside attacking 20 the entire time Rick has coached us. With the exception of the brief era’s of Blake Austin’s dummy and go and the toss it to BJ/JB and have them create something on the edge - we’ve looked impotent in the red zone for the last decade
100% correct
Even with the tzar Crowley, we made a lot of hay on long range tries. This team under Stick has always been overly reliant on individual brilliance and not structure or plan.
Tigers games aside where we racked up 40 points on the regular running through Brooks and Moses, we have had a coherent, consise plan of attack in the red zone under Stuart's guidance.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Botman wrote: July 6, 2021, 8:08 pm
Rickmando wrote: July 6, 2021, 8:05 pm We’ve never had a coherent structure or plan to our sets inside attacking 20 the entire time Rick has coached us. With the exception of the brief era’s of Blake Austin’s dummy and go and the toss it to BJ/JB and have them create something on the edge - we’ve looked impotent in the red zone for the last decade
100% correct
Even with the tzar Crowley, we made a lot of hay on long range tries. This team under Stick has always been overly reliant on individual brilliance and not structure or plan.
Tigers games aside where we racked up 40 points on the regular running through Brooks and Moses, we have had a coherent, consise plan of attack in the red zone under Stuart's guidance.
Even the halcyon days of 2016 and 2019 - we were much more dangerous from long range. We were blunted when we received a full 6 tackles inside the opposition half, clueless
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Just get Dufty please and play him 1/7/14/utility. If anyone wants to say he's not a halfback, neither is Sam Williams (sorry Sammy). He'll do for the time being, make it a two year front-loaded contract and it shouldn't affect our future signings
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I'd still take the gamble at the right price (Which is NOT 600k a year)
I bet if you took him right now, on a 1.5 year deal for 600k total, he'd take it... We can presumably pay the 200k on this years salary with Williams departure which didnt pay him out his entire deal, and 400k next year... if he performs on and off the park, great
if not, you've lost nothing in terms of a rebuild and flexibility.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote:What have you people got against Oztag?
Nothing, so long as it has the tags. I think it’s called LeagueTag these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:

Oztag and league tag have different rules

Mainly around kicking

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Oztag and league tag have different rules

Mainly around kicking

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Ah, OK!

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

no contact, it's just glorified touch.

*spoken by an ex front rower with no speed , footwork or ballplaying skills just an ability to hit hard and run over halfbacks

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:

What have you got against touch football?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Me too. The game as a whole is becoming very, very boring. Half the time it turns into a glorified version of Oztag.

It's the team, not the game. You seriously believe that fans of the top teams are complaining about the rule changes?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I want to know his time for the 5km dash home from Vaughnys house before we sign him
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: July 7, 2021, 8:12 am I want to know his time for the 5km dash home from Vaughnys house before we sign him
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

bonehead wrote: July 7, 2021, 5:46 am
no contact, it's just glorified touch.

*spoken by an ex front rower with no speed , footwork or ballplaying skills just an ability to hit hard and run over halfbacks

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Mate I've been smashed playing OzTag plenty of times.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Coastalraider wrote: July 7, 2021, 9:55 am
LimeGreenMachine wrote: July 7, 2021, 8:12 am I want to know his time for the 5km dash home from Vaughnys house before we sign him

I can nearly do that time and Im 49, that's not a dash :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He's not fast at all!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

So who is this League by Inches mob? Is there any credibility to this or just rumours? I feel like there might be a lot of people on here keen for Dufty to join us but loathing having to hear RadicalRaider’s told you so’s… :lol: I say sign him, and as for Radical…. We’ll even a broken clock is right twice a day! :roflmao
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: July 7, 2021, 12:26 pm

Can you do that time while carrying a carton of beer?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 6, 2021, 8:00 pm

Count me in this group...
Last week was my all time low in watching...45 minutes.
I usually watch all the NRL games + NRL 360 and other programs...
The game in its current state is a joke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: July 7, 2021, 12:55 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote: July 7, 2021, 12:26 pm

Can you do that time while carrying a carton of beer?
If you zoom in you can actually see where he dropped his wallet going over that bridge and had to double back to collect it. That adds time and we haven’t factored in pit stops. The bloke is swift! Get it done Don!