Canberra Raiders sack Curtis Scott

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders sack Curtis Scott

Post by Botman »

Long time RL administrator and long time RL journalist don't get along!
Scandalous!
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

dubby wrote:I'm glad to be rid of Scott. Classic under achiever, and a problem child to boot.

As for Buzz not liking Don, it's because Buzz made some very ill informed opinions and criticisms of Don several years ago. Don then tore him a new one. Buzz has sulked ever since.
Didn’t Don successfully sue News limited for writing he was incompetent about 12 years ago when the first Dugan to the Roosters stories were being written?

Is that the origin of the beef?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Roy Rover wrote: August 25, 2021, 8:47 am
dubby wrote:I'm glad to be rid of Scott. Classic under achiever, and a problem child to boot.

As for Buzz not liking Don, it's because Buzz made some very ill informed opinions and criticisms of Don several years ago. Don then tore him a new one. Buzz has sulked ever since.
Didn’t Don successfully sue News limited for writing he was incompetent about 12 years ago when the first Dugan to the Roosters stories were being written?

Will Don have to pay him back if it’s proven to be true 12 years later?
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Botman wrote: August 25, 2021, 8:40 am Long time RL administrator and long time RL journalist don't get along!
Scandalous!
This was my initial reaction. Rothfield is far from Hemingway levels of journalistic integrity. Like what Roy Rover said, 'ill-informed'. More emphasis on stirring pots than reporting facts. That's 99 percent of journalists these days though, and sensationalism has proven to work in their business model unfortunately.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: August 25, 2021, 8:50 am

Depends if "proof" is determined to be opinions of anonymous internet posters.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Correct, that's part of it.

Buzz also used to ring John McIntyre for a quote whenever he had a story, and Don got annoyed that Buzz was constantly going around him and called him up and got angry at him about it. That is the conversation that Buzz is referencing.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 25, 2021, 10:05 am

I was thinking of more tangible markers like the success of the organisation he has led over that period.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Josh Hodgson has come out in support of Curtis Scott

Raiders captain Josh Hodgson has come to the defence of former teammate Curtis Scott after the NRL star was sacked by the Canberra club on Monday. Hodgson said the playing group was “disappointed” by Scott’s axing following a string of off-field incidents.

“Curtis is such a good kid,” Hodgson said on Tuesday. “As can be the case in sport, or in the world general, when you don’t know somebody and you only see what you hear, you can kind of get a different picture."

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/low-ac ... 58ldr.html
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Raider Azz wrote: August 25, 2021, 10:14 am

Correct, that's part of it.

Buzz also used to ring John McIntyre for a quote whenever he had a story, and Don got annoyed that Buzz was constantly going around him and called him up and got angry at him about it. That is the conversation that Buzz is referencing.
Toughen up Buzz we just call that stacking on a blue around here.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

We need an absolute top to bottom cleanout.

For Hodgson to come out the next day and go 'yeah actually he's a top bloke and we really liked him and he just made a few bad calls - I think we should've kept him' means that we've well and truly lost Hodgo.

He knows that as a former captain and a senior player he'd be expected to toe the company line here. Instead he's come out the next day and said his employers are in the wrong.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Hodgo’s had a pretty big fall from grace in recent years. After playing incredibly well in our prelim vs Souths, backed up by round 1 efforts vs the Storm in 2020, he was at the peak of his game. And then he gets hit with the Curse of Sterlo, who declared him better than Cameron Smith. From that point on his form fell off a cliff and has never recovered.

On field performances aside, he’s also become a bit of a mouth piece defending his team mates when they’ve done the wrong thing, and speaking out against the club hierarchy.

Just like Botman has indicted that the club should shut up and stop leaking to try and win the PR game, Hodgo needs to shut up and keep his thoughts on the matters private. Deal with it in-house. I don’t see any other players like Toots sticking the boot into the club whenever we’ve let players go for misbehaving.

Hodgo has gone from being the best thing since sliced bread (“Bae”) to people being happy to see the back of him in 18 months. Quite the rapid decline in performance and attitude in general.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

Exhibit A - Crokers current contract
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Finchy wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:18 am Hodgo’s had a pretty big fall from grace in recent years. After playing incredibly well in our prelim vs Souths, backed up by round 1 efforts vs the Storm in 2020, he was at the peak of his game. And then he gets hit with the Curse of Sterlo, who declared him better than Cameron Smith. From that point on his form fell off a cliff and has never recovered.

On field performances aside, he’s also become a bit of a mouth piece defending his team mates when they’ve done the wrong thing, and speaking out against the club hierarchy.

Just like Botman has indicted that the club should shut up and stop leaking to try and win the PR game, Hodgo needs to shut up and keep his thoughts on the matters private. Deal with it in-house. I don’t see any other players like Toots sticking the boot into the club whenever we’ve let players go for misbehaving.

Hodgo has gone from being the best thing since sliced bread (“Bae”) to people being happy to see the back of him in 18 months. Quite the rapid decline in performance and attitude in general.
His knee also fell off a cliff. Typically a year to get back to your best following an ACL, given he is on ACL #2 that could be dragging out. If he looks as ineffective in the early rounds next year then we'll know it isn't the knee.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

“Hodgson says the playing group is disappointed by Scott’s axing”.

That’s a pretty big claim to speak for the entire playing group. I bet there’s at least a couple of players not sad to see his tenure end at the club and all the distractions that went with it.

As a passionate supporter of the club, I’m pretty disappointed in Curtis Scott for his multiple acts of: public drunkenness; trying to hide unsavoury events from scrutiny; getting into fights with random members of the public and teammates; and not living up to his repeated public promises to improve his behaviour since coming to the Raiders.

For Scott’s own good he needs a dose of reality around his self generated problems with alcohol and anger management.

He deserves an honesty session from his teammates NOT reassurance that he’s been treated unfairly by the club and that shouldn’t have been sacked for continually bringing this great club into repute on multiple occasions.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

The "good bloke" thing is a red herring anyway. It's an attempt to excuse bad behaviour. "When he's not playing up he's a good bloke" - well that's kind of irrelevant, isn't it. He still did the bad behaviour
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Yap wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:23 am

Exhibit B - Whitehead 3 year extension
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

BJ wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:30 am For Scott’s own good he needs a dose of reality around his self generated problems with alcohol and anger management.

He deserves an honesty session from his teammates NOT reassurance that he’s been treated unfairly by the club and that shouldn’t have been sacked for continually bringing this great club into repute on multiple occasions.
Yep they're just enabling his bad behaviour. All the more reason to sack him and send a strong message

Maybe forget "good blokeness" and instead look for players who are grateful to be in the NRL, and grateful to be at the club. Anyone else can get cleaned out

I feel like some players at lower clubs, they feel like they're doing the club a favour by even playing for them. "I could be at Roosters but I'm here with you instead, you should be grateful". **** attitude
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I feel like people have jumped at a shadow on Hodgson's "disappointed" comments

As per the article on Fox Sports:

Hodgson confirmed that the playing group “got told in a meeting” on Monday — and said that he was “really disappointed” with the outcome.

Hodgson was quizzed on his reaction to the club’s decision to sack Scott before he had his day in court but the veteran knew better than to criticise the Raiders’ handling of the situation.

“I’d love to give you a headline but I’m not on the board so for me I’m just worried about ‘Scotty’, making sure he’s all right,” he said on Tuesday.

“I’m not going to step outside of my lane, I’m not part of the board, I’m not part of the decisions made at the top. I’m a rugby league player, that’s their job to do so I’m not here to question them.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 2086ee3095

Given he goes to painstaking lengths to say he's not questioning the decision, i took his “really disappointed” with the outcome quote as being disappointed that it's come to this. He seems to like Scott and think he's a good guy, so it's natural then in that context to be disappointed that your club has sacked a team mate. He's just supporting a mate, i dont think he's levelled any kind of attack against the decision at all. But maybe im reading it wrong?

Is there any other quote from Hodgson that has him questioning the decision, or is it just this "disappointed" remark?
BJ
Steve Walters

Canberra Raiders sack Curtis Scott

Post by BJ »

Canberra Milk wrote:The "good bloke" thing is a red herring anyway. It's an attempt to excuse bad behaviour. "When he's not playing up he's a good bloke" - well that's kind of irrelevant, isn't it. He still did the bad behaviour
Backpacker Paul Onions. “I do have to add to my evidence and say that Ivan Milat was a very good driver, he obeyed the speed limits and provided a very smooth ride for his passengers”.
Last edited by BJ on August 25, 2021, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Canberra Milk wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:32 am The "good bloke" thing is a red herring anyway. It's an attempt to excuse bad behaviour. "When he's not playing up he's a good bloke" - well that's kind of irrelevant, isn't it. He still did the bad behaviour
Everyone has 'that mate' who is a top bloke until they hit schooner #5 then they're a catastrophe.

And a lot of people choose to excise that person from their life at some point because of the pain and damage they cause over time.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:38 am

DFJ could have been sacked 15 years ago and those deals would still be done right now under Ricky Stuart.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

No that's pretty much it Bot. But in addition to supporting George Williams before, it doesn't come across as very inspiring. At the same time he's hardly pasted the club, I agree
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Timbo wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:40 am
Canberra Milk wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:32 am The "good bloke" thing is a red herring anyway. It's an attempt to excuse bad behaviour. "When he's not playing up he's a good bloke" - well that's kind of irrelevant, isn't it. He still did the bad behaviour
Everyone has 'that mate' who is a top bloke until they hit schooner #5 then they're a catastrophe.

And a lot of people choose to excise that person from their life at some point because of the pain and damage they cause over time.
And same applies to mental health. If you start accepting poor behaviour from someone on the grounds they have mental health issues, I guarantee that's a very slippery slope and you'll get dragged into all sorts of mess
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:42 am No that's pretty much it Bot. But in addition to supporting George Williams before, it doesn't come across as very inspiring. At the same time he's hardly pasted the club, I agree
Yeah i really dont think this is what people are making it out to be.
Disappointed in the outcome is exactly what every should be. Club, player, teammates. It's very disappointing for all parties that it's come to this. He basically just said it was a disappointing outcome, that he wont be drawn on commenting on the decision as it's not his place and he's just doing his best to check in and support a friend/team mate during a very tough time.

But he was given a clear opportunity to come at the club in the way he did with George Williams and he point blank refused and towed the company line, so i dont really understand the criticism of his comments here

Feels like people reading into it what they want and not taking in the full context of his quotes.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'd be more disappointed if he came out and said "**** I'm glad to see the back of him"

It shows the group is close, and that's what we need.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

He didn't come out and support the club either though. I take his comments as trying to stay neutral but all in all probably not happy with the club
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

-TW- wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:51 am I'd be more disappointed if he came out and said "**** I'm glad to see the back of him"

It shows the group is close, and that's what we need.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Not if they're close in spite of the club, which I think they could be
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:41 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:38 am

DFJ could have been sacked 15 years ago and those deals would still be done right now under Ricky Stuart.
Anonymous intenet posters are often confused by the roles of people within an organisation.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:50 am
Canberra Milk wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:42 am No that's pretty much it Bot. But in addition to supporting George Williams before, it doesn't come across as very inspiring. At the same time he's hardly pasted the club, I agree
Disappointed in the outcome is exactly what every should be. Club, player, teammates. It's very disappointing for all parties that it's come to this. He basically just said it was a disappointing outcome, that he wont be drawn on commenting on the decision as it's not his place and he's just doing his best to check in and support a friend/team mate during a very tough time.

But he was given a clear opportunity to come at the club in the way he did with George Williams and he point blank refused and towed the company line, so i dont really understand the criticism of his comments here

Feels like people reading into it what they want and not taking in the full context of his quotes.
Exactly how I saw it. Hodgo was very diplomatic in his response when reporters were clearly digging for a headline. In the end he said a lot without really saying much. Certainly wasn't throwing anybody under the bus.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Having now read the Foxsports article, it seems as though Hodgson cares about his team mates, but might have been told to "stay in his own lane" after he commented on Williams' sacking.

From a pubic affairs perspective, it's actually a good move as it gives the impression to players who could consider moving to the Raiders that the playing group will rally around support a player if they can, COVID bubbles not withstanding.

Management now need to follow up and update the public (and potential recruits) with a general comment that they met with the NRL's player welfare area and they are managing the situation in line with the advice received. Probably around 30 August when Scott's next court date in relation to the alleged assault is scheduled.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Timbo wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:16 am We need an absolute top to bottom cleanout.

For Hodgson to come out the next day and go 'yeah actually he's a top bloke and we really liked him and he just made a few bad calls - I think we should've kept him' means that we've well and truly lost Hodgo.

He knows that as a former captain and a senior player he'd be expected to toe the company line here. Instead he's come out the next day and said his employers are in the wrong.
Does this view of players needing to toe (I’d say tow) the company line extend to Croker who remains best of friends and a vocal support to Todd Carney after we sacked him?

You’re kidding yourself if you’re expecting employees to align relationships with company positions.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

It's more than just an employer/employee relationship though isn't it? I mean this isn't some kid working at Woolworths, this is the NRL, a "dream job". I think that's part of the problem, more and more players are seeing it just as their employment, whereas for fans it's their passion. Fans care more than the players. Good clubs though maintain the carefactor in their players, Storm, Panthers etc

If the players just see the Raiders as an employer and an employer only, then we've failed
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: August 25, 2021, 12:40 pm
Botman wrote: August 25, 2021, 11:50 am

Exactly how I saw it. Hodgo was very diplomatic in his response when reporters were clearly digging for a headline. In the end he said a lot without really saying much. Certainly wasn't throwing anybody under the bus.
I thought Hodgo was very choice in his words, and I thought he showed great respect and maturity. Didn’t bag the club, showed great care for a former teammate. You have to read between a lot of lines to find the negatives.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Canberra Milk wrote: August 25, 2021, 1:32 pm It's more than just an employer/employee relationship though isn't it? I mean this isn't some kid working at Woolworths, this is the NRL, a "dream job". I think that's part of the problem, more and more players are seeing it just as their employment, whereas for fans it's their passion. Fans care more than the players. Good clubs though maintain the carefactor in their players, Storm, Panthers etc

If the players just see the Raiders as an employer and an employer only, then we've failed
The point is League clubs invest heavily to create a tightly bonded player group and success is often aligned with “how tight” those relationships are. Things happen, players don’t work out. That can be injury, behaviours, form or lack of ability. Some people seem to be suggesting if a player is sacked for behaviour issues he should be shunned by the rest of the team. I think it speaks volumes of Croker and Hodgo that they can balance and maintain a friendship with an ex-player and still represent the club well. I don’t get this “you’re either with us or you’re against us attitude”. It’s as silly as the dinosaurs that are outraged when players share a laugh after a game as of it is a sin they aren’t seething hatred for anyone if a different jumper. Spare me!
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

i think that Scott needed to go... he made one too many mistakes that are public facing.
being a league player and earning good coin is only possible because of sponsors and money... which affects brand and in turn comes with responsibility.

maybe Scott was NOT legally at fault and may very well be found not guilty but there is no doubt it did 1) put the club in difficult situations and 2) affect his on field performance.

also none of this was the clubs doing.... and as Gallen says, he is still young and can recover from this pretty quickly... i wouldnt be surprised if he makes the origin side in the years ahead

having said all this, the club MUST (should) support him with any challenges he is facing to get him back on his feet should he need it.