Tokyo Olympics

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Tokyo Olympics

Post by -PJ- »

Well here we are. 12 months late due to a virus but in the next few days the worlds best athletes will gather for a sporting spectacular.

So here is where we can comment on the athletes, their performances, our medal winning heros and everything in between.

For me. It’s become a bit of a farce, I mean SKATEBOARDING !!

There’s been 3 athletes test positive to COVID inside the Olympic Village already.

Opening ceremony is on Friday night our time..

Enjoy.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Tokyo Olympics

Post by zim »

When is the table tennis on?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Care factor negative, shouldn't be happening

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

You’ll come around Tim.

GOLD..GOLD FOR AUSTRALIA.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-PJ- wrote:Well here we are. 12 months late due to a virus but in the next few days the worlds best athletes will gather for a sporting spectacular.

So here is where we can comment on the athletes, their performances, our medal winning heros and everything in between.

There’s been 3 athletes test positive to COVID inside the Olympic Village already.

Enjoy.
Yeah, but at least a case could be made for skateboarding to be a sport*, they had chess at Sydney. CHESS!

*Its not, it’s an activity
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

They had chess at Sydney?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 20, 2021, 6:24 pm
-PJ- wrote:Well here we are. 12 months late due to a virus but in the next few days the worlds best athletes will gather for a sporting spectacular.

Enjoy.
Yeah, but at least a case could be made for skateboarding to be a sport*, they had chess at Sydney. CHESS!

Chess ?

Have you suffered a concussion ?

Tell me Fui, who won gold in Chess @ Sydney 2000 ?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Tokyo Olympics

Post by gangrenous »

Internets says it was an exhibition sport. Looks like just one match. No gold medals.

Tip is also an Olympic sport then too since I played it at Olympic Park while the games were on
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

If you didn't win gold gangers then your Olympic 'tip' feats will soon be forgotten.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

-TW- wrote: July 20, 2021, 2:05 pm Care factor negative, shouldn't be happening

Thanks for volunteering to be official thread villain. :thumbsup
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Very excited to throw obscene vitriol at australian athletes who let the nation down, and more importantly, me personally.
Almost all of which i dont even know exist right at this very moment

I will learn of them during the course of this next 2-3 weeks, i will learn to love them, i will believe in them, if they succeed they will be showered in glory, and when they fail they will taunted and booed until my throat is sore.

I **** LOVE the Olympics.
LETS **** GOOOOOOOOOOOO!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:If you didn't win gold gangers then your Olympic 'tip' feats will soon be forgotten.

Pretty sure I had a Golden Rough afterwards
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: July 21, 2021, 8:38 am Very excited to throw obscene vitriol at australian athletes who let the nation down, and more importantly, me personally.

I will learn of them during the course of this next 2-3 weeks, i will learn to love them, i will believe in them, if they succeed they will be showered in glory, and when they fail they will taunted and booed until my throat is sore.

LETS **** GOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I also look forward to becoming and armchair expert on sports I would otherwise never follow. I'll never forget cheering home Chloe Esposito for gold in the modern pentathlon. All while trying to work out what the **** was going on. Just something about watching girls in running gear and with guns really appealed to me.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

-PJ- wrote: July 21, 2021, 7:11 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 20, 2021, 6:24 pm

Enjoy.

Chess ?

Have you suffered a concussion ?

Tell me Fui, who won gold in Chess @ Sydney 2000 ?
It was an exhibition game, played by Viswanathan Anand and his nemesis. Alexei Shirov. They played two games, both ending in a draw.
IOC recognise it as a sport, and there was a push to have it as an event at Tokyo
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 20, 2021, 2:05 pm Care factor negative, shouldn't be happening

Thanks for volunteering to be official thread villain. :thumbsup
It's a thankless job, someone has to do it.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 21, 2021, 10:31 am
Botman wrote: July 21, 2021, 8:38 am Very excited to throw obscene vitriol at australian athletes who let the nation down, and more importantly, me personally.

LETS **** GOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I also look forward to becoming and armchair expert on sports I would otherwise never follow. I'll never forget cheering home Chloe Esposito for gold in the modern pentathlon. All while trying to work out what the **** was going on. Just something about watching girls in running gear and with guns really appealed to me.
It's truly wonderful isnt it?

My wife is used to this kind of nonsense from me but even she was galled with the level of authority and confidence i spoke about the intricacies of the modern pentathlon during Golden Chloe's glorious performance
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Yep, the first AUS athlete to non medal after going in “a strong medal chance” will be loaded into the cannon and fired into the sun.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

AUS women’s softball team smashed 8-1 by Japan in Olympic opener.

Season over..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: July 21, 2021, 1:27 pm AUS women’s softball team smashed 8-1 by Japan in Olympic opener.

Season over..
Sack Ricky!!!

Sign Luke Brooks!!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: July 21, 2021, 12:34 pm

LETS **** GOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My wife is used to this kind of nonsense from me but even she was galled with the level of authority and confidence i spoke about the intricacies of the modern pentathlon during Golden Chloe's glorious performance
Admittedly it is a great opportunity to view some of the lesser sports on the world stage that I actually do know something about. There's some players from my daughter's water polo club in both the men's and women's teams. I'll be barracking for them and actually understanding what's happening. For most other's it's a case of Ball in Net = Goal. :cmon
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:
gergreg wrote:If you didn't win gold gangers then your Olympic 'tip' feats will soon be forgotten.

Pretty sure I had a Golden Rough afterwards
Probably a mint pattie... like I said they'll quickly be forgotten or in this case exaggerated.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So Brisbane 2032 huh?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Yep. Big shock.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 21, 2021, 2:05 pm
Botman wrote: July 21, 2021, 12:34 pm

LETS **** GOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Admittedly it is a great opportunity to view some of the lesser sports on the world stage that I actually do know something about. There's some players from my daughter's water polo club in both the men's and women's teams. I'll be barracking for them and actually understanding what's happening. For most other's it's a case of Ball in Net = Goal. :cmon
In all seriousness, i love getting to see some of it
the velodrome stuff is my favourite, literally any event. Love it all. But most particularly the Omnium, Keirin and Sprints

Handball is a must. Weight lifting is fun
Quite like the diving and the gymnastics athletes might as well be super hereos for what they're capable of and how unbelievable i find it
Also shouts to the feild events in athletics, anyone who's hurling themselves or some strange object through the air is big on my agenda.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

No love for the synchronised swimming?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:Yep. Big shock.
I wonder what would've happened if Brisbane didn't bid

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: July 21, 2021, 7:39 pm

It was a weird one. The vote was Yes or No for Brisbane. Nobody else in the running. Unless our delegation turned up not wearing pants and threw rotten fruit at the committee I doubt there was any other outcome.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:

If Brisbane didn’t bid?????

Tuggeranong 2032!

Opening ceremony in the forecourt of the Hyperdome, marathon through the streets of Kambah and rowers dying from accidentally falling into Lake Tuggeranong.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:
-TW- wrote:

If Brisbane didn’t bid?????

Tuggeranong 2032!

Opening ceremony in the forecourt of the Hyperdome, marathon through the streets of Kambah and rowers dying from accidentally falling into Lake Tuggeranong.
Would be the quickest marathon on record, athletes avoiding bullets

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just watching pre opening coverage. It’s going to be tough watching completely empty stadiums, for sports you really don’t have any interest in. The Olympics is about the “event”. I also was alerted to what they’re doing on 7plus… and you can stream up to 40 different channels. That’s amazing. You can watch whatever events you want! No flicking around etc. If you want to watch the swimming, which I like, you just select the swimming channel. What a world we live in.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That's really awesome. VERY pumped to just lock in some olympics and get the freedom of events
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Swimming would be the bottom of my list. I like track and field, and then some of the more obscure. Like the different martial arts. Any news on whether HG and Roy are involved?

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They have their own podcast, don't think they're doing anything with 7

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: July 21, 2021, 10:29 pm Swimming would be the bottom of my list. I like track and field, and then some of the more obscure. Like the different martial arts. Any news on whether HG and Roy are involved?

They seem to have some Victorians associated with the AFL who are doing something that I’m told they think is funny.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I’m with Pig, I’ve mainly been a fan of the velodrome events, and track, mainly the 100m.

They’re the only two I’ll actively take time out to sit and watch. Everything else is just casual viewing to me.

Nickman's love of NSW