ASX madness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

ASX madness

Post by T_R »

So, 12 months ago today I decided to have a little dabble on the ASX, but rather than be sensible with the blue chips, instead splashed some play money around in the small caps shallow end. It's insanely good fun.

So, here's my report a year in:

Best buy - PPK @ 369% up
Worst buy - ESR @ 58% down

Overall - 49.9% up

Best sector - Lithium
Worst sector - Consumer goods

Anyone else into this?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: ASX madness

Post by Azza »

Play money. You deserve a punch in the face.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Azza wrote:Play money. You deserve a punch in the face.
My other vices are very cheap. Allow me this one.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I did this a while ago. At one point I was way ahead and feeling quite cocky. Since then most have fallen into a **** pile.

The biggest roller coaster was Blue Sky (BLA). I got in relatively early at around $2.00 a share. It went from strength to strength and at one point was around the $14.00 mark. I sold out my initial investment value at $12 and sat on the rest. It all came crashing down after a short-seller's report questioning their asset valuations. It went spiralling from there.

https://www.afr.com/companies/financial ... 127-p56x7w
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: August 16, 2021, 2:16 pm I did this a while ago. At one point I was way ahead and feeling quite cocky. Since then most have fallen into a **** pile.

The biggest roller coaster was Blue Sky (BLA). I got in relatively early at around $2.00 a share. It went from strength to strength and at one point was around the $14.00 mark. I sold out my initial investment value at $12 and sat on the rest. It all came crashing down after a short-seller's report questioning their asset valuations. It went spiralling from there.

Very smart to sell out your original stake.

I feel the market is very overvalued at the moment, too...I think a crash is coming.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: August 16, 2021, 3:18 pm
Northern Raider wrote: August 16, 2021, 2:16 pm I did this a while ago. At one point I was way ahead and feeling quite cocky. Since then most have fallen into a **** pile.

Very smart to sell out your original stake.

I feel the market is very overvalued at the moment, too...I think a crash is coming.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I've spent the last 12 months investing in myself and in my personal growth
The ROI... has not been great.

But more seriously my wife and i did recently start our first investment portfolio... it's a mutual fund, so not stock picking like this, but i've been very interested in delving into the details of what littles bit we've got a piece of... e-gaming is an area we seem to have a nice slice of, so interested to follow it

We've talked about doing something like this, where we take a small amount of out and get a bit silly but we really dont know where to start :lol:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote: August 16, 2021, 3:33 pm I've spent the last 12 months investing in myself and in my personal growth

But more seriously my wife and i did recently start our first investment portfolio... it's a mutual fund, so not stock picking like this, but i've been very interested in delving into the details of what littles bit we've got a piece of... e-gaming is an area we seem to have a nice slice of, so interested to follow it

We've talked about doing something like this, where we take a small amount of out and get a bit silly but we really dont know where to start :lol:
Yeah Mrs Fui and I have started as well. We're up to that part in the Barefoot Investor book. Nothing too crazy, it's all about the long term for us. I can't remember the company... but we're basically investing in an investment company. The plan is to put enough in where the dividends are enough to roll over and invest itself.

I've been saying we need to research and find somewhere that is in the synthetic meat business
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I made the mistake of investing in small cap mining stocks. They generally list to raise funds for the early stages of company growth. Usually around exploration, feasibility or establishment (for more mature ventures). Positive news and good will can often see early spikes in value. These always fall again and usually bottom out well below their initial IPO value. They invariably start running out of cash and need further capital raisings, which further dilutes share value. Bottom line is it takes way too long before they start making money. These stocks are for traders only. Not investors.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Ok so I'm a little more conservative, I went largely blue chip stocks. But as one example I got in when Macquarie Group was at $80 odd during the mayhem last year, it's now $151 odd... not a bad return. Of course most people said I was nuts for buying, but honestly that's when fortunes are made.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 16, 2021, 4:02 pm
Botman wrote: August 16, 2021, 3:33 pm I've spent the last 12 months investing in myself and in my personal growth

Yeah Mrs Fui and I have started as well. We're up to that part in the Barefoot Investor book. Nothing too crazy, it's all about the long term for us. I can't remember the company... but we're basically investing in an investment company. The plan is to put enough in where the dividends are enough to roll over and invest itself.

I've been saying we need to research and find somewhere that is in the synthetic meat business
Yeah we’re just trying to make sure we have a good bit of money so when we retire, we have the means to help do as we please re travel and helping our kids out if they needed etc

And god willing by then, in 2055, we’ll be allowed to travel again
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: August 16, 2021, 6:17 pm

Yeah we’re just trying to make sure we have a good bit of money so when we retire, we have the means to help do as we please re travel and helping our kids out if they needed etc

IMO most people don't contribute enough to super, the earlier you start doing that up to the 25k limit, the better. I try and do that every year.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

I have $1000 worth of Vanguard ETFs (Government and Shares Indexes).

I also like to live dangerously.

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

We really have matured from Gambl0rs
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: August 16, 2021, 6:25 pm

IMO most people don't contribute enough to super, the earlier you start doing that up to the 25k limit, the better. I try and do that every year.
Literally started doing extra contributions this pay for my super
it was a recommendation from our advisor who helped us set up the mutual fund etc
When he broke down how much it ends up being long term, it was a no brainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:
Azza wrote: August 16, 2021, 6:25 pm

Literally started doing extra contributions this pay for my super
it was a recommendation from our advisor who helped us set up the mutual fund etc
When he broke down how much it ends up being long term, it was a no brainer
Vanguard is the place we invest in!

I’ve been tacking on an extra $50 a fortnight for a few years now. We’re finally in a good spot, where I can just roll my annual pay increase into my Super contribution.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I do think there is a market correction coming as others have already said. But if you've got time on your side, just invest in something quality (vanguard or betashare etfs aren't a bad start if you want something that tracks the ASX and/or international stock exchanges), forget about it and by the time you need it it should be a solid return.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Azza wrote: August 16, 2021, 7:27 pm I do think there is a market correction coming as others have already said. But if you've got time on your side, just invest in something quality (vanguard or betashare etfs aren't a bad start if you want something that tracks the ASX and/or international stock exchanges), forget about it and by the time you need it it should be a solid return.
Pffft. Chuck the lot on some random shell company operating in a country that you can't find on a map digging out minerals that you can't pronounce (ASX: IXR). Or, my personal favourite, chuck the kid's uni money on a flooded hole in the ground in Mali (ASX: FFX). Where's the adventure in ETFs?

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

T_R wrote: August 16, 2021, 7:37 pm
Azza wrote: August 16, 2021, 7:27 pm I do think there is a market correction coming as others have already said. But if you've got time on your side, just invest in something quality (vanguard or betashare etfs aren't a bad start if you want something that tracks the ASX and/or international stock exchanges), forget about it and by the time you need it it should be a solid return.
Pffft. Chuck the lot on some random shell company operating in a country that you can't find on a map digging out minerals that you can't pronounce (ASX: IXR). Or, my personal favourite, chuck the kid's uni money on a flooded hole in the ground in Mali (ASX: FFX). Where's the adventure in ETFs?
I invested money in a b grade **** film company when covid hit. I made 50 rupiah
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Azza wrote: August 16, 2021, 7:57 pm
T_R wrote: August 16, 2021, 7:37 pm
I invested money in a b grade **** film company when covid hit. I made 50 rupiah
Is that a lot in $AU?
LastRaider
John Ferguson

ASX madness

Post by LastRaider »

I signed up to Jaaims this year (www.jaaimsapp.com), which allows you to pick the stocks and then the technology does the rest, buying and selling when the timing is right.

Results have been good

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I was always suspicious of stock market software. Had it on par with those "investment" software systems that bet on horses. Imagine it would all be about trading and work off small gains/losses to try and turn an overall profit.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: August 17, 2021, 8:18 am I was always suspicious of stock market software. Had it on par with those "investment" software systems that bet on horses. Imagine it would all be about trading and work off small gains/losses to try and turn an overall profit.
Plus it takes away that sickening feeling in the pit of your stomach when you realise that the share you just sold for $1000 COULD have made you $1050 if you'd just held on another day.

I'd miss that.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: August 17, 2021, 8:54 am
Northern Raider wrote: August 17, 2021, 8:18 am I was always suspicious of stock market software. Had it on par with those "investment" software systems that bet on horses. Imagine it would all be about trading and work off small gains/losses to try and turn an overall profit.
Plus it takes away that sickening feeling in the pit of your stomach when you realise that the share you just sold for $1000 COULD have made you $1050 if you'd just held on another day.

I'd miss that.
Let's put this into perspective. That extra $50 is a carton of beer.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

T_R wrote:

I'd miss that.
That’s what’s good about Jaaims, you don’t have that sickening feeling. You just let it do it’s thing. I think I only log into the app once a week. When I was investing on my own, I live in a world of anxiety checking my account every 15 minutes then selling either to early or too late!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: August 17, 2021, 10:14 am
T_R wrote: August 17, 2021, 8:54 am

I'd miss that.
Let's put this into perspective. That extra $50 is a carton of beer.
Yeah im not built for those kind of stakes... If i went down that route and my wife ever did the conversion rate from cartons of beer to bottles of wine, she'd stab me where i stood
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

I invest my hard earned into a little company called sportsbet, it is into pain and misery, so far return has been -100%.
This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

ASX madness

Sid wrote:We really have matured from Gambl0rs
Haha!

Blame it on the Insurance day job, but does this thread require some General Advice warning, or does this fall under the banner of “You do you”?

Nickman's love of NSW
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Haha!

Blame it on the Insurance day job, but does this thread require some General Advice warning, or does this fall under the banner of “You do you”?
If we labelled this thread with some sort of general advice warning we’d have to do the same with all other GH Threads Image
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Sid wrote: August 17, 2021, 6:05 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Haha!

If we labelled this thread with some sort of general advice warning we’d have to do the same with all other GH Threads Image
Some us put the disclaimer in our sig. Keeps the legal bills down.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

PPK just broke 400% for me!

I know no one cares, but neither does my family and I needed to tell SOMEONE

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

T_R wrote:PPK just broke 400% for me!

I know no one cares, but neither does my family and I needed to tell SOMEONE
I don't care but I've quoted to give you a little something

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley