Green thumbs

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Green thumbs

Post by bonehead »

no good spots is my issue, dogs kill basically anything I plant out the back, front is done till I can afford to fix it properly.
Might plant one in a big pot with the base cut-out in a corner that I hate

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So this is one of my hobbies. Most of mine are in development, getting ready for when I retire.

The one in the light yellow pot is probably my only tree that is 100% show ready. It is a lemon scented tea tree. It doesn't smell like lemon normally, except after a prune - it's quite fragrant.

There is a trident maple there. I've had this one for about 20 years but completely changed the design about 4-5 years ago, chopping the main trunk just above the first side branch. Needs a branch to the right for balance, but sadly it isn't cooperating.

The third is a Japanese maple. Either a Kamagata or Kashima. It is about 6 years old. Has nice small leaves, almost a fluoro green in summer changing to red/orange in autumn.

All of these are about 40-50 cm tall. I'll probably put the two maples into proper bonsai pots next year. Both have faults that will prevent them from being good to great bonsai but I like them both.

This is such a wonderful hobby that I would recommend to anybody. Great club in Canberra, members with tonnes of knowledge and some brilliant trees - many of the trees at the national collection at the arboretum come from members of the Canberra bonsai society.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Love the passion gerg, and love the outcome, stunning!!!.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

bonehead wrote:no good spots is my issue, dogs kill basically anything I plant out the back, front is done till I can afford to fix it properly.

Good idea mate, old wine barrel?

This place is woke.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Question wrote:
bonehead wrote:no good spots is my issue, dogs kill basically anything I plant out the back, front is done till I can afford to fix it properly.

Good idea mate, old wine barrel?

Seen those bunnings plastic 1/2 and 1/4 wine barrels? I use those as the soil is so bad here only about 100mm on top of clay so most things I plant are lifted in these pots with the base cut out.

Gerg, Bloody unreal. Boneyjr has started mucking around with 2 bunnings one's from starter kits that are going ok.

Roses are starting to bloom now, I have 3 on the go, mini ones throw 3 colours, 1 red and 1 purple(at bud)

ImageImage
Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm currently having bunnings withdrawals. I needed to get some spagnum moss to do some aerial layers on some of my bigger Japanese maple trees but I've missed the timing. Will try some on a few of the Australian natives I've got instead. I can do those in late November.

Nice roses Boney. I've got a heap but none are flowering yet. I've got a pink and a white (peony I think they're called) a triple delight with flowers the size of a toast plate, a classic burgundy, a deep, dark red (long stem). A yellow (small flower) climber, a lavender colour, a few whites, and a few others ... they're all old too so they've still got good aroma unlike some of the newer types. The previous owner, old lady, loved her flowers.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Im waiting for my icebergs to pop atm after a good hard winter prune....hold the phone lads.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Nothing gets me more excited than the sweet sweet smell of a jasmine bloom.

This place is woke.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

not me, sinuses go crazy on jasmine

There was literally not a plant here when we bought nearly 3yrs ago. Gardening is something I've only taken to in the last 3 or 4 years.

Seasol'd everything today, grass is giving me the ****, most of the sir Walter has died out but the snippets and runners I've collected from a really old empty house down the road and planted are going well. When lockdown ends I'll get some rolls of palmetto and Ned kelly and stick them in.

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Palmetto coming Friday or Monday, I got onto a guy who put a lawn in for me 20yrs ago and he sells Palmetto, that's a win

Edrick The Entertainer
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

How many rolls ya getting mate?

This place is woke.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Question wrote:How many rolls ya getting mate?

6, it's meant to spread fast and I've seen it do that. 1 for the front and 5 out the back probably halve them and patchwork

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

for those of you with a decent lawn, this looks good

https://lawnhub.com.au/collections/pack ... YLa545dse4

Edrick The Entertainer
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Good hard prune of lemon tree this morn.

Last edited by Off on October 4, 2021, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

The old girl has the borers, see the three holes. I may have to put her down, or graft her onto something else.

This place is woke.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

My favourite species is the Japanese maple. Such beautiful colours from spring to autumn. Canberra is a really good climate to appreciate any of the cultivars. In this picture is a Lemon Chiffon in the bottom corner. It has a really bright and vibrant light green, turning to yellow in autumn. Behind it is a weeping... I think it's called a Green Filigree lace.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

This is called a Bloodgood. Keeps pretty much this colour the entire growing season.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

This is one that came with the house. Standard Japanese maple. Gets these lovely red pods with the new growth in spring and goes a lovely red in autumn. I successfully (so far) grafted a branch from it. Get a huge amount of seed and so far propagating 40 - 50 per year. I wanted to reduce the size of some of the branches so tried grafting instead of just cutting them off. The third picture is a standard Atropurpleum, I also get a few seedlings off this one each year.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Japanese maple are sought after for their autumn colours but this one is a spring show stopper. It's called a Seigen. The small bright pink is so poppingly bright it looks fake. I had another similar one, called a shen-deshoja for about 15 years - it was my favourite and sadly passed away last year. Below it is a standard Japanese maple.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Saw this little dude lurking on out sliding door today. Put him back in the garden
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

This is a standard Atropurpleum that I'm attempting to turn into a bonsai.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

This one is called a Banzai. I think it's a cultivar that this Victorian place has been playing with. It has really small leaves and nice colours throughout the whole growing season.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I can't quite remember the name of this one. Goes a nice orange colour and the leaves get larger.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah, I've got too many.

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

That must sure keep you busy Gerg, I love the autum colors of the maple had one at my last property and left it... regrets, looks like a scene from karate kid at Mr Miyagis house... i love it!!

This place is woke.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

unreal, must take up a lot of time and effort
We're getting good rain here, I threw in a few rolls of palmetto and some runners from an old deserted house down the road plus a ton of topsoil so hope to see some improvements

Edrick The Entertainer
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Made the call to re-do the garden. Recent storms just wrecked everything. Opting to go with some citrus plants instead now. Have a Lemon tree, so we’ll get some more, along with a few Limes… see what else we can mix and match in there
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021