Adam Elliott to join Newcastle Knights

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Canberra Raiders looking to extend Adam Elliott by further two years

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I am so sick of the myopia at this club.

I have a strong suspicion that the construction of Ricky’s squad is predicated on who will help him maintain control of the dressing room.

He would know that the squad as currently constructed does not have a snowflakes chance of winning the premiership.

And yet he keeps doubling down on ploders United which consists of battlers + over the hill veterans such as Whitehead.

I full expect a long and generous contract to be dished out to Rapana soon despite clear and obvious signs that he is pretty much done.
Up The Milk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 11, 2022, 8:46 am I am so sick of the myopia at this club.

I have a strong suspicion that the construction of Ricky’s squad is predicated on who will help him maintain control of the dressing room.

He would know that the squad as currently constructed does not have a snowflakes chance of winning the premiership.

And yet he keeps doubling down on ploders United which consists of battlers + over the hill veterans such as Whitehead.

I full expect a long and generous contract to be dished out to Rapana soon despite clear and obvious signs that he is pretty much done.
I'm sure Ricky's intentions are good and he genuinely thinks he's building "culture" but it would be easy after a few years to slipslide that into what you describe. Team culture does matter. But I haven't seen evidence we have a particularly good one- just looking at how/if players improve and accountability/leadership on the field.

It needs to be done with a hard edge of performance alongside it. Roosters/Melbourne seem pretty good at that balance of acknowledging the service of players getting them out the door when needed or when the ask gets too high. Probably Cotric was one we got right at the time (price tag too high but I hope he kills it for the rest of the season now he's back in form). But we undermine it with the Croker/Whitehead/Williams etc.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The Raiders having good team culture under Stick has to be one of the greatest myths of the Rocky Stewart era
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: May 11, 2022, 9:43 am The Raiders having good team culture under Stick has to be one of the greatest myths of the Rocky Stewart era
Strong agree Nickman! I think we are a huge swing and miss on the culture piece and we compromise our standards depending on the players involved. The worry is that I don’t believe it is recognised. I genuinely think Ricky would say it’s an area that we are getting things right.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote: May 11, 2022, 12:11 pm
The Nickman wrote: May 11, 2022, 9:43 am The Raiders having good team culture under Stick has to be one of the greatest myths of the Rocky Stewart era
Strong agree Nickman! I think we are a huge swing and miss on the culture piece and we compromise our standards depending on the players involved. The worry is that I don’t believe it is recognised. I genuinely think Ricky would say it’s an area that we are getting things right.
Shut-up, Billy.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote:The Raiders having good team culture under Stick has to be one of the greatest myths of the Rocky Stewart era
In the eyes of the media a good team culture equates to winning.

The Melbourne Storm arguably have the most off field incidents of any club. From what I can gather Cameron Munster spends his offseason **** in wells. Nobody gives a **** as long as they are winning.

The Broncos team culture directly correlates with their position on the table and what News Ltd choose to say about the club.

This whole "team culture" thing is crap. When the Raiders were at their peak our boys were some of the loosest units on the planet. Back then we would have had the best team culture in the comp.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 11, 2022, 3:27 pm
The Nickman wrote:The Raiders having good team culture under Stick has to be one of the greatest myths of the Rocky Stewart era

The Melbourne Storm arguably have the most off field incidents of any club. From what I can gather Cameron Munster spends his offseason **** in wells. Nobody gives a **** as long as they are winning.

The Broncos team culture directly correlates with their position on the table and what News Ltd choose to say about the club.

This whole "team culture" thing is crap. When the Raiders were at their peak our boys were some of the loosest units on the planet. Back then we would have had the best team culture in the comp.

I think you're rather simplistically equating "team culture" with off-field incidents on the piss.

Team culture is so much more than that though, it's digging in for each other on the field, holding each other (and yourselves) accountable for performances, not making excuses and preparing to put your body on the line week in and week out for the jersey.

It's not just gronks getting in trouble in bars. In fact you can have fantastic team culture and still have a bunch of stupid off-field incidents.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Exquisite use of the word gronks there mate.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I've always considered myself a bit of a wordsmith there, Q
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: May 11, 2022, 12:26 pm
Billy Walker wrote: May 11, 2022, 12:11 pm
Shut-up, Billy.
Give me a hug baldy
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sidelined Canberra Raiders skipper Jarrod Croker wants Adam Elliott to stick around 'a bit longer' in green

Canberra Raiders skipper Jarrod Croker sees the value Adam Elliott's versatility brings and wants him to stick around a "bit longer".

"He's gone alright hasn't he," he said. "He's played a bit of everywhere. He's handled it with ease. He's a bit like [Jordan] Rapa[na]. You just say 'play front-row, you play fullback', he'll go and do it for you."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: May 11, 2022, 7:43 pm Sidelined Canberra Raiders skipper Jarrod Croker wants Adam Elliott to stick around 'a bit longer' in green

Canberra Raiders skipper Jarrod Croker sees the value Adam Elliott's versatility brings and wants him to stick around a "bit longer".

"He's gone alright hasn't he," he said. "He's played a bit of everywhere. He's handled it with ease. He's a bit like [Jordan] Rapa[na]. You just say 'play front-row, you play fullback', he'll go and do it for you."

**** me- who is Adam Elliots PR guy? He's rated a 6 and a 7 on the Greeneye-ometer and now he's compared to club legends. The hits keep coming. I for one am starting to find this media bombardment impressive.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Never has a ploder received so many accolades
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I feel like this is some sort of bizarro world

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I’m genuinely surprised he wasn’t inducted into the Hall of Fame alongside Paul Osborne and Albert Fulivai last week
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Standard player and a good replacement for Ryan Sutton. Don’t get the hate, definitely not a plodder but also not worth being in the paper every week.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Azza wrote: May 11, 2022, 9:57 pm I feel like this is some sort of bizarro world

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Bizarro enough that Adam Elliott revives the glory days driving us to three premierships and a gf in a decade then goes on to coach us for a decade? Because that's where we're heading. Or perhaps an Immortal instead?
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Riaan wrote: May 12, 2022, 6:48 am Standard player and a good replacement for Ryan Sutton. Don’t get the hate, definitely not a plodder but also not worth being in the paper every week.
Agree. I don't think he is a bad player at all, gives his 100% every week, has a decent offload and I don't think we signed him up on big $.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

BadnMean wrote: May 11, 2022, 9:48 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 11, 2022, 7:43 pm Sidelined Canberra Raiders skipper Jarrod Croker wants Adam Elliott to stick around 'a bit longer' in green

**** me- who is Adam Elliots PR guy? He's rated a 6 and a 7 on the Greeneye-ometer and now he's compared to club legends. The hits keep coming. I for one am starting to find this media bombardment impressive.
The fact he needs a PR guy in the first place is a big part of the problem
President Clinton
Dean Lance

Rickmando wrote: May 12, 2022, 8:48 am

Wouldn't you assume the media prompted these questions Rickmando, rather than Croker or Elliott taking time out of their day to call the Canberra Times?
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

President Clinton wrote: May 12, 2022, 9:27 am
Rickmando wrote: May 12, 2022, 8:48 am

Wouldn't you assume the media prompted these questions Rickmando, rather than Croker or Elliott taking time out of their day to call the Canberra Times?
I’m not referring to this specific article.

The guy who hasn’t been able to keep himself out of the media through his career (via various indiscretions, not his footballing ability), comes to town and… seemingly can’t keep himself out of the media.

If he played good games of footy anywhere near as often as he got his mug in the media - we wouldn’t have a problem
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Anyone else concerned given Croker is even money to coach us one day? 17 Adam Elliott's coming up.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

He should just shut his mouth when they ring and say **** off im training.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Every day EDIT by simply opening this thread.
Croker and Elliot can hang out together at some other RL club not based in Canberra.
Last edited by greeneyed on May 12, 2022, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate comment.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: May 11, 2022, 3:27 pm

I think you're rather simplistically equating "team culture" with off-field incidents on the piss.

Team culture is so much more than that though, it's digging in for each other on the field, holding each other (and yourselves) accountable for performances, not making excuses and preparing to put your body on the line week in and week out for the jersey.

It's not just gronks getting in trouble in bars. In fact you can have fantastic team culture and still have a bunch of stupid off-field incidents.
No, what I am saying is quite the opposite. I'm saying that people equate a good culture with winning, which is not always the case.

Yes, elements of team culture reflect how the players hold each other accountable, both on the field and on the training paddock.

I can categorically tell you that it's this culture of accountability on the training paddock that is keeping Xavier Savage out of regular first grade selection.

Do the fans want to hear that, or are we talking about something different again?

This team has a very good culture. They just lack talent and a coach that can make hard decisions about veteran players.

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Well we seem to have some of the worst performers in charge of holding others accountable. I'm not sure if that's a good culture.

I'd like to see a culture where we give most weight to what happens on the field rather than the training paddock. To me that is a proper culture of accountability. I do get that it can be a slippery slope though, if you don't emphasise training first and foremost. Jarryd Hayne was famously a bad trainer... but he was damn good on the field. How do you deal with that... it's not easy

That's interesting re Xavier Savage. He does come across sometimes as a bit boyish. Just being speculative though. I think Reece Walsh at the same age comes across more mature, and more switched on. He sets a high bar though, I really like how he carries himself
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

How are you surprised? This is JC, the man who has been the fabric of the culture for the last 10+ years over which we have had the greatest player scandals and underperformance in the history of the club. The bloke himself is record holding underperformer holding loss records that will never be surpassed. The only difference is the fans lap up the media propaganda about JC and see through the Elliot stories.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: May 13, 2022, 7:56 am How are you surprised? This is JC, the man who has been the fabric of the culture for the last 10+ years over which we have had the greatest player scandals and underperformance in the history of the club. The bloke himself is record holding underperformer holding loss records that will never be surpassed. The only difference is the fans lap up the media propaganda about JC and see through the Elliot stories.
What a load of inaccurate codswallop.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I haven’t read the whole article (paywall) but are people really upset at Croker for backing a team mate here? Even if he didn’t like the bloke and doesn’t really want him to stay, he’s hardly going to say that to the media. “Yeah he’s a bit of a plodder hey. Glad we’ve only got him cheap for one year. I’d prefer Munster.” He’d make a positive comment about Curtis Scott if asked.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Billy Walker wrote:How are you surprised? This is JC, the man who has been the fabric of the culture for the last 10+ years over which we have had the greatest player scandals and underperformance in the history of the club. The bloke himself is record holding underperformer holding loss records that will never be surpassed. The only difference is the fans lap up the media propaganda about JC and see through the Elliot stories.
This doesn't really deserve a response, but it really is a load of utter garbage.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Canberra Milk wrote:Well we seem to have some of the worst performers in charge of holding others accountable. I'm not sure if that's a good culture.

I'd like to see a culture where we give most weight to what happens on the field rather than the training paddock. To me that is a proper culture of accountability. I do get that it can be a slippery slope though, if you don't emphasise training first and foremost. Jarryd Hayne was famously a bad trainer... but he was damn good on the field. How do you deal with that... it's not easy

That's interesting re Xavier Savage. He does come across sometimes as a bit boyish. Just being speculative though. I think Reece Walsh at the same age comes across more mature, and more switched on. He sets a high bar though, I really like how he carries himself
I'm sorry, but Xavier Savage, and this team as a whole, are nowhere near good enough to be half arsed on the training paddock.

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

How about completely unfit players like Whitehead? Why is there no accountability for that?

I get you re accountability at training, but if it's not outcome focused... if you can be unfit but still get automatic selection... that's not a great culture.

Accountability on the field should be first and foremost, and training culture is part of that, not the other way around
President Clinton
Dean Lance

Billy Walker wrote: May 13, 2022, 7:56 am How are you surprised? This is JC, the man who has been the fabric of the culture for the last 10+ years over which we have had the greatest player scandals and underperformance in the history of the club. The bloke himself is record holding underperformer holding loss records that will never be surpassed. The only difference is the fans lap up the media propaganda about JC and see through the Elliot stories.
Clubs greatest try scorer.
Clubs greatest points scorer.
Fourth highest point scorer in NRL history.

He’s not the greatest centre to ever grace a football field, but you need to check yourself.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Canberra Milk wrote:How about completely unfit players like Whitehead? Why is there no accountability for that?

I get you re accountability at training, but if it's not outcome focused... if you can be unfit but still get automatic selection... that's not a great culture.

Accountability on the field should be first and foremost, and training culture is part of that, not the other way around
Whitehead should not be playing, at least not in the run-on side. I've been saying that for over 12 months. That's a coaching/selection issue.

Stuart backs his boys, and particularly the veterans, way too much. To the detriment of our team.

He also backs his **** project players like Curtis Scott way too much.

That's my number 1 issue with Stuart. Followed by his appalling use of the bench.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

President Clinton wrote: May 13, 2022, 9:52 am
Clubs greatest try scorer.
Clubs greatest points scorer.
Fourth highest point scorer in NRL history.

He’s not the greatest centre to ever grace a football field, but you need to check yourself.
Played in most loses in the club’s history
Captain the most losses in the club’s history