Adam Elliott to join Newcastle Knights

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Adam Elliott to join Newcastle Knights

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: June 15, 2022, 8:48 pm Cleary JJH should give his ratings out of 10 for all the posters.
Through JJEyes….
Joshjacksonshead
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Joshjacksonshead »

Friends - after much fact finding , and digging for certain truths we have been accepted by the two true overlords , the chosen ones of the forum , now we won’t say their names we will whisper them , greeneyed and joshjacksonshead , we have decided to start rating posters, seeing we are posters of the people and the people need heroes , now could someone from management please create a brand new topic , we will call it The Eye of the Tornado, I will start telling you you how to moderate it from tomorrow, if it if set up to my satisfaction
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joshjacksonshead wrote: June 15, 2022, 9:32 pm Friends - after much fact finding , and digging for certain truths we have been accepted by the two true overlords , the chosen ones of the forum , now we won’t say their names we will whisper them , greeneyed and joshjacksonshead , we have decided to start rating posters, seeing we are posters of the people and the people need heroes , now could someone from management please create a brand new topic , we will call it The Eye of the Tornado, I will start telling you you how to moderate it from tomorrow, if it if set up to my satisfaction
This is sounding like The Phantom from The Phantom of the Opera. In any case, whatever happens from here, make sure it is… in The Lime Lounge: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p1872885
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: June 15, 2022, 8:48 pm Cleary JJH should give his ratings out of 10 for all the posters.
It's the only fair way. Most of us strive for high rating by an anonymous new forum member with a single topic of conversation.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: June 16, 2022, 8:54 am
It's the only fair way. Most of us strive for high rating by an anonymous new forum member with a single topic of conversation.
What else have you got going on between team list Tuesday and game day? I’m all in on the concept (and if that doesn’t push me to an 8 then he’s kidding himself)
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Personally I'm more interesting in what JJ's Torso thinks.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Joshjacksonshead wrote: June 15, 2022, 9:32 pm Friends - after much fact finding , and digging for certain truths we have been accepted by the two true overlords , the chosen ones of the forum , now we won’t say their names we will whisper them , greeneyed and joshjacksonshead , we have decided to start rating posters, seeing we are posters of the people and the people need heroes , now could someone from management please create a brand new topic , we will call it The Eye of the Tornado, I will start telling you you how to moderate it from tomorrow, if it if set up to my satisfaction
How can you breathe, let alone read and type, with your head firmly up your ****?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Joshjacksonshead wrote:
Question wrote: June 12, 2022, 9:24 pm Great to see a signed knights player is our only concern.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk
Yes Matty but before we sign of on this one I need to know how you got it so wrong,

At one stage there you were the only man bobbing in amongst a sea of manginas
LOL It appears that Joshjacksonshead has been with us for some time! Pre GH for sure.

Still, Adam Elliott is a pretty average player, who has admittedly struck a solid vein of form. He has been pretty good recently. One of our best.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Joshjacksonshead wrote:
Question wrote: June 12, 2022, 9:24 pm Great to see a signed knights player is our only concern.

Yes Matty but before we sign of on this one I need to know how you got it so wrong,

LOL It appears that Joshjacksonshead has been with us for some time! Pre GH for sure.

Still, Adam Elliott is a pretty average player, who has admittedly struck a solid vein of form. He has been pretty good recently. One of our best.
Yeah he has been playing well. Despite what jjh claims we do acknowledge good performances as well as **** ones.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Classic Sommers
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

One of our better players this season
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Seiffert82 wrote: June 16, 2022, 1:07 pm
Joshjacksonshead wrote:

He does sort of sound like the opposite of an average player from your description :lol:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: June 16, 2022, 1:07 pm
Joshjacksonshead wrote:

He does sort of sound like the opposite of an average player from your description Image
Unfortunately, at this point in time, being one of our best qualifies you to be in the 40-60th percentile of NRL players.

So yeah, he's at the upper end of sorta average perhaps.

His numbers are pretty good for Adam Elliott, put it that way.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

sprintman wrote: June 16, 2022, 2:39 pm One of our better players this season
There were two calls I made in the preseason on Elliott that most people scoffed over, that have turned out to be correct. The first one being that Ricky would either start him or name him in our 17 in most games. The second one being that he's a lock rather than a second rower and, if granted the opportunity to play there, would find himself as our starting lock regularly as the season progresses.

He's definitely no Murray, Yeo, Carrigan or Radley. But as a guy taking up $200-250k of our cap, he's providing play well above his value. People could fairly call him a plodder if we were paying him in the $600-700k range but that's nowhere near what he's being paid, nor was he ever expected to perform at the level of a $600-700k forward when we recruited him.

The plodder is Whitehead - he's a forward on $600k who is not playing at that level (and hasn't for some time). If we didn't have Whitehead and instead had two Elliotts, and then had a $700-800k halfback rather than Fogarty (with the additional money that would be freed up from replacing a **** value Whitehead with a good value Elliott type), we may even be pushing for a premiership this year. To add to that, people here were begging for Tyrone Peachey at nearly double the price because they wanted a ball playing lock... what has Peachey achieved compared to Elliot this year? I haven't seen much of the Tigers at all this season but I haven't heard his name pop up so I assume he's not even making their 17 most weeks. We need more astute signings like Elliott and less boneheaded max contract extensions like Croker/Whitehead.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: June 16, 2022, 4:09 pm
There were two calls I made in the preseason on Elliott that most people scoffed over, that have turned out to be correct. The first one being that Ricky would either start him or name him in our 17 in most games. The second one being that he's a lock rather than a second rower and, if granted the opportunity to play there, would find himself as our starting lock regularly as the season progresses.

He's definitely no Murray, Yeo, Carrigan or Radley. But as a guy taking up $200-250k of our cap, he's providing play well above his value. People could fairly call him a plodder if we were paying him in the $600-700k range but that's nowhere near what he's being paid, nor was he ever expected to perform at the level of a $600-700k forward when we recruited him.

The plodder is Whitehead - he's a forward on $600k who is not playing at that level (and hasn't for some time). If we didn't have Whitehead and instead had two Elliotts, and then had a $700-800k halfback rather than Fogarty (with the additional money that would be freed up from replacing a **** value Whitehead with a good value Elliott type), we may even be pushing for a premiership this year. To add to that, people here were begging for Tyrone Peachey at nearly double the price because they wanted a ball playing lock... what has Peachey achieved compared to Elliot this year? I haven't seen much of the Tigers at all this season but I haven't heard his name pop up so I assume he's not even making their 17 most weeks. We need more astute signings like Elliott and less boneheaded max contract extensions like Croker/Whitehead.
Whitehead is a professional fisherman. He was a professional footballer.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Bit of a Bronson Harrison smell about Elliott's last few weeks.

Think we'll get the best of him, then he can go back to stinking it up in Newcastle
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Raiders_Pat wrote:

Agree about Whiteheads form. He was immense during most of the COVID impacted season in 2020, and then fell off a cliff with a few rounds to go that year.

Not sure he's a max contract player though. That's the real unknown. I suspect he wasn't extended on mega dollars, but could be wrong.

Either way, he shouldn't be starting. It's just unfortunate CHN has been equally ordinary this season, so nobody is forcing EW out.

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: June 16, 2022, 4:09 pm

+ 1. Well said and exactly my sentiments.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

While Elliott has played a few good games I'm not sure we should necessarily be reminiscing about pre season predictions. He's not here next year, so essentially came here for a one year deal ... because no other club was interested. He's repaid our clubs faith in him by jumping to the first club that has made him an offer. We can all forgive that though because it seems his primary motivating factor is to be close to his partner.

But if he hadn't have come would Mooney or Rushton have received more game time to develop this year, and next year would our club have benefited more from their development and first grade time in 2022? And now that he is no longer staying why aren't Mooney and Rushton getting some minutes?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm quietly confident both Rushton and Mooney will get more minutes as the season wears on.

Elliott is one thing - I don't think you can drop players who are performing. It's Whitehead I'm worried about, and whether Stuart can get CHN to perform.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:I'm quietly confident both Rushton and Mooney will get more minutes as the season wears on.

Elliott is one thing - I don't think you can drop players who are performing. It's Whitehead I'm worried about, and whether Stuart can get CHN to perform.

It's like a captain's curse. Hodgo, Croker and now Whitehead. I've never been a huge CHN supporter but I'm not sure he's happy here - particularly recently. He may have played last weekend but he wasn't there. Don't know what's going on with him.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

gergreg wrote: June 17, 2022, 1:40 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:I'm quietly confident both Rushton and Mooney will get more minutes as the season wears on.

It's like a captain's curse. Hodgo, Croker and now Whitehead. I've never been a huge CHN supporter but I'm not sure he's happy here - particularly recently. He may have played last weekend but he wasn't there. Don't know what's going on with him.
Didn't he just have COVID? Most players are a bit flat first game back. This weekend will give us a better guide where he's at.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Northern Raider wrote: June 17, 2022, 2:35 pm

Didn't he just have COVID? Most players are a bit flat first game back. This weekend will give us a better guide where he's at.
I think it’s more the fact he got dropped to reggies a few weeks in a row rather than Covid, which I’m not even sure he even actually had.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Out of all the players that should be in our starting line up, Harawira-Naera had been granted the least opportunity to get a few games in succession under his belt in his preferred position. I think it's no surprise that a second rower would look flat playing 30 mins in the middle. I understand that he has had some issues in defence but is he worse than Whitehead? I doubt it. And why have we not tried playing him on the left edge? If Young is being selected due to his defensive ability, I'd use him on our right edge where more of the opposing team's backline plays are directed.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Unfortunately the only semi functional thing about our attack is the Wighton-Young combo.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Finchy wrote: June 17, 2022, 3:00 pm

I think it’s more the fact he got dropped to reggies a few weeks in a row rather than Covid, which I’m not even sure he even actually had.
There's not real logic behind dropping a guy to reserve grade, recalling him to firsts then standing him down for from all football for COVID if he didn't have COVID
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 17, 2022, 4:41 pm Unfortunately the only semi functional thing about our attack is the Wighton-Young combo.

Combo? Maybe I haven't been watching closely enough but I'm not really seeing it. Nothing special anyway, they don't sync up any better than your average half/backrower duo imo.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Chn's problem is he's a bit of a one trick pony. Runs a great line but that's next to useless in our attacking structure where he might get one opportunity every 3 weeks. If we were a better attacking team he'd be a bit of an x factor.

What else does he do?
We're not a good enough to carry a guy and wait for those moments, we need guys who will get stuck in and do some work (on both sides of the ball) when it's needed
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im at a complete loss for words at why the club re-signed CHN given where he sits in their pecking order
We as fans can quibble about what he can and cant do on the field... but the club made a decision to re-sign him, for 3 years.... this is a significant investment... why?

I can see why I would do that. To me he's STILL our best edge forward. He would be a nailed on starting 2nd rower for me. But the club doesnt view him this way clearly, and they clearly have issues with his game that they feel he's a depth player... again, we can agree or disagree on that as fans... but the club is telling us how they feel about the player... why re-sign him then?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

kiwi raider wrote: June 17, 2022, 8:37 pm Chn's problem is he's a bit of a one trick pony. Runs a great line but that's next to useless in our attacking structure where he might get one opportunity every 3 weeks. If we were a better attacking team he'd be a bit of an x factor.

What else does he do?
We're not a good enough to carry a guy and wait for those moments, we need guys who will get stuck in and do some work (on both sides of the ball) when it's needed
We need a plodder, get me a plodder in here goddam it. Ricky was right!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: June 17, 2022, 8:57 pm Im at a complete loss for words at why the club re-signed CHN given where he sits in their pecking order
We as fans can quibble about what he can and cant do on the field... but the club made a decision to re-sign him, for 3 years.... this is a significant investment... why?

I can see why I would do that. To me he's STILL our best edge forward. He would be a nailed on starting 2nd rower for me. But the club doesnt view him this way clearly, and they clearly have issues with his game that they feel he's a depth player... again, we can agree or disagree on that as fans... but the club is telling us how they feel about the player... why re-sign him then?
He dropped the ball, dropped off tackles, he gave away penalties, entered into haircut pacts, lost his licence drink driving and was dropped for weeks at a time- still, there goes the best damn edge forward 2022 Raiders ever had.

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

BadnMean wrote: June 17, 2022, 9:06 pm
Botman wrote: June 17, 2022, 8:57 pm Im at a complete loss for words at why the club re-signed CHN given where he sits in their pecking order

He dropped the ball, dropped off tackles, he gave away penalties, entered into haircut pacts, lost his licence drink driving and was dropped for weeks at a time- still, there goes the best damn edge forward 2022 Raiders ever had.

:roflmao

He's been here almost two years now. Surely he has missed more games than he has played. It was a bizarre decision to re-sign him.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

In all seriousness I actually do think he could be a good edge player but he's been stuffed around with selection a fair bit this year.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

We have the best forward in the comp in Joe Tapine and we have 29 pages dedicated to Adam Elliot……
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

Riaan wrote: June 18, 2022, 4:09 pm We have the best forward in the comp in Joe Tapine and we have 29 pages dedicated to Adam Elliot……
Crazy isn’t it? If the Elliot haters would just admit they were wrong about him being useless, we could all just move on 😝