Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine still considering COVID vaccine options

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders edge towards 80 per cent COVID vaccination rate

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL produced its own vaccination advertising campaign. Elliott Whitehead appeared.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/08/20/nrl ... -campaign/

The AFL operates predominantly in Victoria where the State government has mandated vaccination for professional athletes. The AFL had no practical alternative. The AFL was the sporting body that refused to mandate the flu vaccination for players early in the pandemic, when the NRL did. It appears tennis players are somehow going to be exempt from the Victorian COVID vaccination mandate for sports people so as to allow prominent international anti vaxers to play in the Australian Open.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Couldn’t agree more Cat. For the life of me I can’t understand why there hasn’t been localised campaigns involving community leaders, sportsmen and women, titans of business, religious leaders, comedians etc that all give the simple message “I’m vaxxed, are you”.

To date the majority of messaging has been left to politicians and we know trust in government is at not high. One of the best things I read on the whole issue was written by Arnie. Need more leadership like this

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-li ... 6a8a%3famp
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Don’t you guys get AAMI’s Vax Up ads? They brought Rhonda and Katut back!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: October 28, 2021, 6:10 am Don’t you guys get AAMI’s Vax Up ads? They brought Rhonda and Katut back!
Like a sunrise! Was vax hesitant till I saw Katut. Got both shots the next day :roflmao
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:The NRL produced its own vaccination advertising campaign. Elliott Whitehead appeared.

The AFL operates predominantly in Victoria where the State government has mandated vaccination for professional athletes. The AFL had no practical alternative. The AFL was the sporting body that refused to mandate the flu vaccination for players early in the pandemic, when the NRL did. It appears tennis players are somehow going to be exempt from the Victorian COVID vaccination mandate for sports people so as to allow prominent international anti vaxers to play in the Australian Open.
This back and forth (rally) with how they will handle the Australian Open is fascinating to watch. It does look as though they will buckle and let the un-vaccinated players in.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Not meaning to sound like a V'Landys sympathiser, but wouldn't there come a point where there's a requirement to be vaccinated, without having to make a policy? Player's aren't going to be able to catch flights, play in Melbourne, get into stadiums etc without proof of vaccination.

It sounds to me like that fun fact how escaping prison in Germany isn't illegal, but all the activities like vandalising the gaol, stealing goverment clothing etc are enough to put you back in the clink.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Raider Azz wrote: October 26, 2021, 8:50 pm At this point we all know who the two who are refusing the vaccine are.

I hope for their sake and ours they are able to obtain medical exemptions, otherwise we will be very light on middle forwards for part of the season.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
I don't want them to be able to get medical exemptions. Especially Tapine, who has made it clear that this is all pseudoscience Bull with a last-ditch to hide behind religion.

Using a religion by saying it forbids foreign substances in the body when you've got tattoos and post on social media out and about on the cans is an absolute joke of the highest order.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Timbo wrote:
Raider Azz wrote: October 26, 2021, 8:50 pm At this point we all know who the two who are refusing the vaccine are.

I hope for their sake and ours they are able to obtain medical exemptions, otherwise we will be very light on middle forwards for part of the season.

I don't want them to be able to get medical exemptions. Especially Tapine, who has made it clear that this is all pseudoscience Bull with a last-ditch to hide behind religion.

Using a religion by saying it forbids foreign substances in the body when you've got tattoos and post on social media out and about on the cans is an absolute joke of the highest order.
I don't agree with their stance, but I'm not going to get on my high horse over it. At this point it's been discussed ad nauseam. It's up to the club and them to sort it out. If they care about the team they'll get it done.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joe Tapine doesn’t have tattoos. If he does they’re well hidden. I’m not aware of Tapine saying anything about religion or any of his reasons for not wanting the flu injection. The only statement from the club was that he got an exemption from the flu vaccination on medical grounds. Not sure if I’ve seen anything about COVID from Joe. I have seen his partner make statements that are against vaccinations on social media. Have seen other Raiders players sharing that sort of material too, that is not well based in my view.

Hopefully it all gets sorted appropriately by the club well before next season and we have a full complement of players for every game.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: October 28, 2021, 6:00 am The NRL produced its own vaccination advertising campaign. Elliott Whitehead appeared.

Yes 1 short video on the nrl website, I haven't seen any adverts on the tv, heard them on the radio, seen them pop up on YouTube/internet etc

I think its awesome the afl has a no jab no play policy but they too could of done more to encourage selected areas of the community
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL campaign ran on television, across all its social media platforms. The NRL Facebook page has 2.4 million followers. It attracted widespread media coverage. The NRL has been affected by COVID more than most industries, as they don’t have multiple revenue streams. The music industry, for example, generates considerable revenue from recorded music, not live performances. The NRL has had to massively reduce the costs of running the game, due to loss of revenue due to COVID. They undertook a good campaign, commensurate to their available resources, and did it it earlier than most.

Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

That would be 80% 2 shots, there'd be a couple that have only had 1 dose that will bring the number up. If there's only 2 that are refusing like mentioned.

ACT is going to be 95% fully vaccinated and NSW not far behind.
That will be top 3 in the WORLD. Far and away better than other western countries.
Which is a wonderful and great thing, and will keep this country as safe as it can be.

I'm uncomfortable with the pack mentality to punish those that disagree with it.
It think we can be happy at 95% and all move on in our life, and this not be the only thing we think, talk and care about going forward. I personally have had enough of it over the last 18 months.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

From what i've seen on Instagram, Papa, Tapine, CNK and CHN have posted numerous anti vax posts over the past couple months. Very concerning if they aren't able to play a large chunk of next year.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

SeeBee101 wrote: October 28, 2021, 11:09 am From what i've seen on Instagram, Papa, Tapine, CNK and CHN have posted numerous anti vax posts over the past couple months. Very concerning if they aren't able to play a large chunk of next year.
Very concerning for bigger reasons I’d say.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Beejay wrote: October 28, 2021, 10:52 am That would be 80% 2 shots, there'd be a couple that have only had 1 dose that will bring the number up. If there's only 2 that are refusing like mentioned.

ACT is going to be 95% fully vaccinated and NSW not far behind.
That will be top 3 in the WORLD. Far and away better than other western countries.
Which is a wonderful and great thing, and will keep this country as safe as it can be.

I'm uncomfortable with the pack mentality to punish those that disagree with it.
It think we can be happy at 95% and all move on in our life, and this not be the only thing we think, talk and care about going forward. I personally have had enough of it over the last 18 months.
:clap:
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: October 28, 2021, 10:08 am The NRL campaign ran on television, across all its social media platforms. The NRL Facebook page has 2.4 million followers. It attracted widespread media coverage. The NRL has been affected by COVID more than most industries, as they don’t have multiple revenue streams. The music industry, for example, generates considerable revenue from recorded music, not live performances. The NRL has had to massively reduce the costs of running the game, due to loss of revenue due to COVID. They undertook a good campaign, commensurate to their available resources, and did it it earlier than most.

It was never shown on tv in Sydney, and it only ever came up on my socials once.
I would say it actually was a highly unsuccessful campaign

and you are wrong about the music industry many earn a living from live performances only , especially those in the crew.
The music and arts industry has been hit a lot harder then sport ever was .

Sport continues to have sponsorship dollars rolling in, music industry not so lucky
Also the nrl was always reducing their expenses due to Greenberg and co running the well dry.
No point re writing history to just disagree with me :roflmao
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Can’t say I ever saw that campaign anywhere, but pleased to see there was some effort and would add that I didn’t see campaigns from other codes either.

It is disappointing there seems to be a misalignment between some of the players and the community they represent.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

cat wrote: October 28, 2021, 12:14 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 28, 2021, 10:08 am The NRL campaign ran on television, across all its social media platforms. The NRL Facebook page has 2.4 million followers. It attracted widespread media coverage. The NRL has been affected by COVID more than most industries, as they don’t have multiple revenue streams. The music industry, for example, generates considerable revenue from recorded music, not live performances. The NRL has had to massively reduce the costs of running the game, due to loss of revenue due to COVID. They undertook a good campaign, commensurate to their available resources, and did it it earlier than most.

It was never shown on tv in Sydney, and it only ever came up on my socials once.
Well that’s simply not true. Just because you may not have seen it doesn’t mean it was never shown. I saw it multiple times on Sydney TV, particularly while the actual footy was on.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Either way the boys won't be missing a chunk of the season...
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

NRL Covid vaccine policy: New protocols, rules revealed

Daily rapid antigen testing and restricted movement are just some of the hurdles that await unvaccinated NRL players under new Covid protocols. Masks at all-times, Covid tests every 72-hours and restrictions on movement within the community are the hurdles for unvaccinated NRL players.

Unvaccinated players will also be asked to separate from vaccinated players as much as possible, which could include separate training programs. In addition, NSW-based players who aren’t vaccinated won’t be allowed to train until December 1 under the NRL’s new Apollo protocols for the 2022 pre-season

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... b078c56e50
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Good to see the boys will still be able to play
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

To clarify a point I made earlier. Of course the musicians and the sector that make their money from live performances have been dramatically affected. The music industry vaccination campaign is being paid for by music industry associations and record companies... and it is backed by continued revenue from recorded music. The music industry is much larger than the NRL, even after the fall in business in the live music sector.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

It’s a good ad that. Good cross section of clubs and dynamics. Maybe it’s getting more air time in the places that vax rates need a kick along. Please to see the NRL getting behind this and sending out a very good message.

PS - I wonder how many takes it took to get Smelly to say his lines without the need for sub titles :lol:

Well done Smelly, well done NRL!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

cat wrote: October 27, 2021, 9:38 pm
Botman wrote: October 27, 2021, 8:52 pm I personally hope they DONT get medical exemptions
If that means they cant play footy for the Raiders, so be it... there are issues at play here more important than footy.
Agree, 80% of 30 is 24 so that means there are 6 players still not jabbed based on a top 30

IF 6 players get medical exemptions that means we have an abnormally high number of eligible exemptions , thus meaning footy players are getting special treatment again

These are the same guys who would happily take protein supplements, pain killing jabs to keep playing etc, and hopefully not recreation drugs but say no to a jab that every teacher, nurse, doctor, woolies worker etc has to have to earn a lot less.

I am honestly extremely disappointed in the NRL for
1. Not having the balls to say no jab no play but forcing the clubs to argue with the players

2. Not being part of the public campaign to get everyone jabbed, they have been so so so so lucky being able to still play for 2 seasons, flying across borders shut to everyday aussies wanting to see family, dying relatives etc and earn money when many others haven't.
The music industry is up there promoting getting jabbed, so is the tv industry
Where is the sporting industry?

It feels like to me Vlandys is turning the NRL into the horse racing industry, all about the money and not about the community , being leaders in society for stuff like equality, alchol abuse, dv, etc. Thats not what footy is about!
Nailed it perfectly Cat.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

GreenMachine wrote: October 28, 2021, 2:30 pm
Botman wrote: October 27, 2021, 8:52 pm I personally hope they DONT get medical exemptions
If that means they cant play footy for the Raiders, so be it... there are issues at play here more important than footy.
Agree, 80% of 30 is 24 so that means there are 6 players still not jabbed based on a top 30

IF 6 players get medical exemptions that means we have an abnormally high number of eligible exemptions , thus meaning footy players are getting special treatment again

These are the same guys who would happily take protein supplements, pain killing jabs to keep playing etc, and hopefully not recreation drugs but say no to a jab that every teacher, nurse, doctor, woolies worker etc has to have to earn a lot less.

1. Not having the balls to say no jab no play but forcing the clubs to argue with the players

2. Not being part of the public campaign to get everyone jabbed, they have been so so so so lucky being able to still play for 2 seasons, flying across borders shut to everyday aussies wanting to see family, dying relatives etc and earn money when many others haven't.

It feels like to me Vlandys is turning the NRL into the horse racing industry, all about the money and not about the community , being leaders in society for stuff like equality, alchol abuse, dv, etc. Thats not what footy is about!
Nailed it perfectly Cat.
Yes, because community is all about snitching on your neighbours and wishing to see people out of employment because they do not wish to disclose their private medical matters to those it shouldn't concern.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Raiders_Pat wrote:

Nailed it perfectly Cat.
Yes, because community is all about snitching on your neighbours and wishing to see people out of employment because they do not wish to disclose their private medical matters to those it shouldn't concern.
Freedom of choice is awesome isn't it? Should doctors and nurses have the choice to refuse treatment to un-vaccinated members of the public?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 28, 2021, 2:42 pm

Nailed it perfectly Cat.
Whats snitching on your neighbours got to do with sports people encouraging people to get vaxxed?

And for the record, you have to declare and proove your child's vax history before enrolling in school, you have to declare your vax history for many different jobs

There are many illnesses that are reportable including chicken pox , legionares disease just to name 2

Its called public health .....
Vaccinated
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: October 28, 2021, 5:25 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote:

Nailed it perfectly Cat.
Freedom of choice is awesome isn't it? Should doctors and nurses have the choice to refuse treatment to un-vaccinated members of the public?
Pat fundamentally misunderstands the difference between free choice and consequence free choice
No one is going to march into anyone's house, hold a gun to a head and make someone have a vaccination, nor will they throw anyone in gulag for not getting vaxxed. Everyone is free to make his/her own decision. That is free choice.

However, the gov have an obligation to protect the community as best they can, so those who make a free choice not to vaccinate will be restricted in their ability to put that community at risk. That is a consequence of free choice. You get to make the bed you lie in.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Vossy named 4 names yesterday morning

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

So with ACT at over 99% for first doses, statistically the Raiders squad has over 20x more unvaccinated players than the community they represent.

Bravo. Muppets.

If they're going to be unavailable for a significant number of games, we should do to them what was done to Kyrie Irving.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders resist sacking unvaxxed players

Canberra Raiders CEO Don Furner says the club won't be sacking any players who are unvaccinated for COVID, The Canberra Times reports. But those players could miss up to six regular season games due to regulations in Victoria and Quensland - which require anyone who enters their stadiums to be fully vaccinated. Furner says there are a "couple of players" still to be vaccinated.

"Yeah we will [stand by them]. Not from this club [is there any thought of tearing up contracts]," Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-09/ ... /100606016
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MOD NOTE: We've unlocked this topic... but please keep the discussions polite and accurate... we don't want any misinformation on the site. If you have general points about coronavirus, please post them in the thread on the Current Affairs board.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Gronks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Children. Maybe they’ll grow up?
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Jesus **** Christ. We’ve already got a bottom eight squad, now they’re going to let blokes on extremely good wickets miss a third of the season because of pseudoscience?

Might as well just concede the season now.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.