Moderator: GH Moderators

yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Nick Cotric returns to Raiders on three year deal

Post by yurithe1 »

Colk wrote: February 6, 2022, 10:21 am
BJ wrote: February 6, 2022, 9:29 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:The moral of the story here - most NRL journalism is paywalled thanks to V'landys selling out the nrl.com digital arm. As an international fan I'm not in a position to pay for overseas journalism. I used to have a digital subscription to Big League before that was punted. What a disappointment when it comes to promoting the game.
Good point Roger. In addition….

The ABC’s coverage of the NRL has become appalling. They provide plenty of AFL coverage through TV, Radio and news, but only seem to have scant rugby league news.
Rugby League doesn’t understand the importance of marketing or media promotion. It’s probably why it seems content to stay on Nine (who have constantly bagged the game) or give so much to News Limited (who have also done the same and seem to think that the competition only has the Roosters and Broncos - I bet if I got today’s Terrorgraph there will be a story about how good the Roosters are in there)

Compare that to the AFL who seem to get good coverage on all outlets and most of it very pro or favourable. They obviously know how to grease the wheels and proactively market their game.
Staying with Nine was a strategic move.

Ten is desperate for viewers and with CBS's money behind them, they could have put together a strong bid. Ten could have used the NRL to leverage their streaming channel as well. What they don't have is a newspaper platform and I'd bet that the SMH would downgrade its coverage if it lost the NRL. However, the Canberra Times is no longer owned by Nine, so wouldn't affect locals. I doubt the Age gives NRL a huge amount of coverage.

However, Nine now covers Rugby Union and they would put everything they had behind that and slowly but surely diminished interest in League to the point where the next time the broadcasting rights come up, they wouldn't be worth as much. The SMH already devotes a lot of attention to Union and it has probably helped keep it on life support over the past decade or so while results have failed to impress and the Union bosses have shot themselves in the foot by eliminating the Force while threatening the survival of or mergers between the Brumbies and the Rebels.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Question wrote: February 6, 2022, 10:33 am Probably because the AFL hasnt butchered their game so it is predictable. boring and unrecognizable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
It is pretty hard to butcher a game that is already terrible.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

yurithe1 wrote: February 6, 2022, 10:49 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:The moral of the story here - most NRL journalism is paywalled thanks to V'landys selling out the nrl.com digital arm. As an international fan I'm not in a position to pay for overseas journalism. I used to have a digital subscription to Big League before that was punted. What a disappointment when it comes to promoting the game.

The ABC’s coverage of the NRL has become appalling. They provide plenty of AFL coverage through TV, Radio and news, but only seem to have scant rugby league news.
Rugby League doesn’t understand the importance of marketing or media promotion. It’s probably why it seems content to stay on Nine (who have constantly bagged the game) or give so much to News Limited (who have also done the same and seem to think that the competition only has the Roosters and Broncos - I bet if I got today’s Terrorgraph there will be a story about how good the Roosters are in there)

Compare that to the AFL who seem to get good coverage on all outlets and most of it very pro or favourable. They obviously know how to grease the wheels and proactively market their game.
Staying with Nine was a strategic move.

Ten is desperate for viewers and with CBS's money behind them, they could have put together a strong bid. Ten could have used the NRL to leverage their streaming channel as well. What they don't have is a newspaper platform and I'd bet that the SMH would downgrade its coverage if it lost the NRL. However, the Canberra Times is no longer owned by Nine, so wouldn't affect locals. I doubt the Age gives NRL a huge amount of coverage.

However, Nine now covers Rugby Union and they would put everything they had behind that and slowly but surely diminished interest in League to the point where the next time the broadcasting rights come up, they wouldn't be worth as much. The SMH already devotes a lot of attention to Union and it has probably helped keep it on life support over the past decade or so while results have failed to impress and the Union bosses have shot themselves in the foot by eliminating the Force while threatening the survival of or mergers between the Brumbies and the Rebels.
Good point, however there has been no standards placed on Channel 9 regarding to promotion or coverage of the code. In fact, I would say the same about the promotion of the code as a whole but the host FTA broadcaster is a particularly pertinent one.

This is just one aspect that I have problems with in regards to RL administration, which to me symbolises the lack of overall strategy
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Are we suggesting newspaper coverage of NRL is more beneficial to the game than the Nine coverage is detrimental?

I find that hard to believe.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: February 6, 2022, 10:31 am

The AFL have been very demanding in their broadcast deals regarding coverage in news and other programming. The NRL only seemed to realise what's been going on in the lead up to the latest deal with Nine.

The establishment of the NRL digital arm was smart thinking, following the NFL, but because the NRL's broadcasters also own major digital and traditional news services... which have been trying to put their content behind paywalls... they put the pressure on the NRL to basically axe the digital arm. The clubs also put on the pressure to axe the spending on the digital arm in favour of their own coffers. Very short term thinking all round from the NRL and the clubs.
A good example of what I have been talking about. There is an overall lack of strategy. This is mainly because of a lack of managerial independence and all the interests and sections of the game dominating that space. This, all you get is reactive leadership - leadership that is aimed at putting out fires and placating interests.

The ARLC is pretty similar to modern day political leadership - you are never going to get clear, visionary leadership because leaders are totally beholden to 24 hour news cycles, polls and focus groups and maintaining power for power’s sake.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

gangrenous wrote: February 6, 2022, 12:47 pm Are we suggesting newspaper coverage of NRL is more beneficial to the game than the Nine coverage is detrimental?

I think that is impossible to believe.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Colk wrote: February 6, 2022, 12:54 pm
gangrenous wrote: February 6, 2022, 12:47 pm Are we suggesting newspaper coverage of NRL is more beneficial to the game than the Nine coverage is detrimental?

Someone flipped a coin and decided it was (TIC). I think they actually ignored the downside and went with getting a broad spectrum of coverage.

Personally, I avoid Nine's match coverage and watch Foxsports instead.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Colk wrote:
Question wrote: February 6, 2022, 10:33 am Probably because the AFL hasnt butchered their game so it is predictable. boring and unrecognizable.

My previous boss was a crazy Collingwood fan (lifer) and talking to her she isn't happy about changes made to the game over the years. I remember watching a game about a year ago and every single player on the field was crammed into half the ground. And this was an area of her game that she hated.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gergreg wrote:
Colk wrote:

My previous boss was a crazy Collingwood fan (lifer) and talking to her she isn't happy about changes made to the game over the years. I remember watching a game about a year ago and every single player on the field was crammed into half the ground. And this was an area of her game that she hated.
Yep I think a lot of people feel the same about AFL as a game.

But despite this, they’re growing their game and growing their coverage.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

yurithe1 wrote: February 6, 2022, 1:22 pm
Colk wrote: February 6, 2022, 12:54 pm

Someone flipped a coin and decided it was (TIC). I think they actually ignored the downside and went with getting a broad spectrum of coverage.

Personally, I avoid Nine's match coverage and watch Foxsports instead.
Perhaps. Channel Ten are just so far behind Channel Nine and Channel Seven that I don’t think they are really an option.

Nevertheless, I think they are going to rue the opportunity of killing their digital channel. That and steaming are the ways forward
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

gergreg wrote: February 6, 2022, 1:29 pm
Colk wrote:

Well there you go. Maybe you can.

I just don’t how that game is popular. I am thinking that maybe it is due to the fact that there are very limited stoppages but surely a skill element has to come into it. I could go down and watch any amateur game if I were so inclined to watch people continually making mistakes or failing to meet the main objectives of the sport.

Actually it is like watching European T10 Cricket League without a sense of irony.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Colk wrote: February 6, 2022, 1:54 pm
Colk wrote:

I just don’t how that game is popular. I am thinking that maybe it is due to the fact that there are very limited stoppages but surely a skill element has to come into it. I could go down and watch any amateur game if I were so inclined to watch people continually making mistakes or failing to meet the main objectives of the sport.

Actually it is like watching European T10 Cricket League without a sense of irony.
Colk over 4% of the Australian population (that’s over 1 million people) are AFL members. Beyond that, the game leaves the NRL for dust in terms of TV audience:

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/8687- ... 2104260235

By all means let’s discuss how we can make NRL better but if we are going to run down another code we should pick a softer target. You will just end up sounding a little silly being in a minority yelling at the clouds “it’s not us that’s wrong, it’s all those many many many others in the majority that are getting it wrong”!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy... those numbers aren't the actual TV ratings figures. It is some consumer survey. There's other similar Morgan surveys about the most popular sporting club and the methodology for both are dodgy. The NRL was ahead of the AFL a couple of years back on the actual TV ratings, as I recall... but I can't find reputable comparative figures for recent years.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Colk wrote:
Colk wrote:

People have different tastes. That's ok.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Just google “AFL v NRL popularity” and there are a million measures, articles and editorials that all say AFL is far more popular. I think I saw one that suggested NRL is more popular on Twitter so that’s something I guess if that’s a good thing?

It is getting in to Trump territory to argue against facts. As I say let’s discuss how NRL can improve but let’s not kid ourselves about where NRL stands in respect to the AFL.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: February 6, 2022, 3:56 pm
Colk wrote:
Colk wrote:

People have different tastes. That's ok.
Spot on Gergs - soccer has never done it for me and probably never will, but I won’t delude myself and suggest that because it’s not my cup of tea it isn’t the world game.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Billy Walker wrote: February 6, 2022, 3:57 pm Just google “AFL v NRL popularity” and there are a million measures, articles and editorials that all say AFL is far more popular. I think I saw one that suggested NRL is more popular on Twitter so that’s something I guess if that’s a good thing?

It is getting in to Trump territory to argue against facts. As I say let’s discuss how NRL can improve but let’s not kid ourselves about where NRL stands in respect to the AFL.
The AFL put more than double the bums on seats that the NRL does. It’s not a game that works on TV unlike League..
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Its delerious to think otherwise, that happens a bit here.

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

sprintman wrote: February 6, 2022, 4:07 pm
Billy Walker wrote: February 6, 2022, 3:57 pm Just google “AFL v NRL popularity” and there are a million measures, articles and editorials that all say AFL is far more popular. I think I saw one that suggested NRL is more popular on Twitter so that’s something I guess if that’s a good thing?

The AFL put more than double the bums on seats that the NRL does. It’s not a game that works on TV unlike League..
So why do more people watch AFL on TV than NRL?

Roy Morgan is the leading polling company in the country even if GE doesn’t think they are legit figures.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roy Morgan doesn’t conduct the TV ratings in Australia. OzTAM does. Billy, you clearly haven’t even read how the survey you’ve quoted has been conducted or what it means.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Just ask around GE you know the average bloke on the street, through a triple mask of course.

This place is woke.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Billy Walker wrote: February 6, 2022, 4:21 pm

Roy Morgan is the leading polling company in the country even if GE doesn’t think they are legit figures.
I meant in comparison to watching live. I wouldn’t bother, I watch NRL. I remember going to my first VFL game in 1970, it never made any sense until then. Didn’t go to another for more than half a century though…
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: February 6, 2022, 4:40 pm Roy Morgan doesn’t conduct the TV ratings in Australia. OzTAM does. Billy, you clearly haven’t even read how the survey you’ve quoted has been conducted or what it means.
I’ll just leave this here for you…..

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... xture-move
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

sprintman wrote: February 6, 2022, 4:56 pm

I meant in comparison to watching live. I wouldn’t bother, I watch NRL. I remember going to my first VFL game in 1970, it never made any sense until then. Didn’t go to another for more than half a century though…
But if more people watch AFL by attending games and there are also more people watching it on TV….. :hmmm I’m sure you know what you mean and that’s good enough for me :thumbsup
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Billy Walker wrote: February 6, 2022, 3:09 pm
Colk wrote: February 6, 2022, 1:54 pm
Colk wrote:

Colk over 4% of the Australian population (that’s over 1 million people) are AFL members. Beyond that, the game leaves the NRL for dust in terms of TV audience:

By all means let’s discuss how we can make NRL better but if we are going to run down another code we should pick a softer target. You will just end up sounding a little silly being in a minority yelling at the clouds “it’s not us that’s wrong, it’s all those many many many others in the majority that are getting it wrong”!
What’s your point Billy? It is just my opinion on that game and it wasn’t a discussion on statistics or a comparison on what sport is more popular. It’s not an argument based on facts or scientific proof, it was a view or opinion on aesthetics; like anybody would have for things like visual art, music, film, literature or architecture etc.

Therefore I don’t really care if more people watch AFL than League or more people watch AFL than a number of other sports; I’ll stand by my judgement that is a terrible sport and I don’t like have to like it because other people like it or it’s popular.

Anyway, the idea that is something more popular necessarily equates to something good or better is a ridiculous argument. Take for example the comparison between opera music and popular music. Now by that argument, you would contend that a popular music singer or artist is better/more talented than a opera singer/classical musician when based on rudimentary musical theory, a majority of the time that would be clearly not the case.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yeah good call Colk - I agree with you that you we all like what we like and we can dislike whatever we choose. Like I said soccer has never done if for me. The thing is a billion squillion people can’t be wrong so while I’d rather watch paint dry than sit through a soccer match I’d never be so foolish to suggest it wasn’t skilful or was boring or anything else. It’s clearly a sport that most the world enjoys following but just not my thing. If AFL isn’t your thing that’s cool, but calling it amateurish and unskillful….
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Billy Walker wrote: February 6, 2022, 5:00 pm

But if more people watch AFL by attending games and there are also more people watching it on TV….. :hmmm I’m sure you know what you mean and that’s good enough for me :thumbsup
More than double go to games, slightly more watch it on TV. It’s really very simple
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

sprintman wrote: February 6, 2022, 8:23 pm

More than double go to games, slightly more watch it on TV. It’s really very simple
More than double people attend AFL games than NRL games as you point out. Despite having more than twice as many supporters unable to watch the game on TV (because they are at the ground) the AFL still has more people watching on TV than the NRL does. I numbers don’t support your argument but actually suggest it’s a better game to watch live and on TV.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Billy Walker wrote: February 6, 2022, 8:46 pm
sprintman wrote: February 6, 2022, 8:23 pm

More than double people attend AFL games than NRL games as you point out. Despite having more than twice as many supporters unable to watch the game on TV (because they are at the ground) the AFL still has more people watching on TV than the NRL does. I numbers don’t support your argument but actually suggest it’s a better game to watch live and on TV.
Work on your comprehension problem. You’ll get there
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

The AFL controls what the media reports on, hence why people think only league players get up to mischief.

That's just as bad as finding fault when there isn't much.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m sure Bill Gates in entangled in this theory somewhere……
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

All of this because cotric resigned with the raiders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Elcaptcroker wrote: February 7, 2022, 5:14 pm All of this because cotric resigned with the raiders

Stay tuned, many go this way.

Like neighbours arguing over who has the best lawn mower
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Johno wrote:
Elcaptcroker wrote: February 7, 2022, 5:14 pm All of this because cotric resigned with the raiders

Stay tuned, many go this way.

Like neighbours arguing over who has the best lawn mower
If only cotric knew how Influential he was