Penrith Panthers 2022

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Penrith Panthers 2022

Post by Finchy »

President Clinton wrote: September 7, 2022, 11:08 am
Finchy wrote: September 7, 2022, 10:22 am
President Clinton wrote: September 7, 2022, 10:00 am Also, Martin isnt an origin player if he isnt playing for Penrith.
Careful, that line of thinking will get you called stupid around these parts. It isn't that Liam Martin isn't actually that great, the answer is for all teams to "become Penrith" so he looks good no matter who he plays for.
The Panthers or Storm - all you need to do is find a Smith, Cronk and Slater. Throw in a coach as good as Bellamy for good measure.
Exactly! Why buy players who look good playing for anyone, when you can buy a plodder who only looks good playing for a gun team and completely change your system, coach, spine, so he can look good playing for your team too! So simple
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

President Clinton wrote: September 7, 2022, 11:07 am
The Nickman wrote: September 7, 2022, 10:06 am To be fair, a lot of that is because Freddie Fittler is a deadset idiot.
NSW has had awful players selected long before Freddy's time.
Yeah, Laurie Daley (as much as I love him) seemed to be ever present as a selector and/or coach in some of the stupidest years.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Premiers and Sydney. Perfect case of star team unconscious bias.
It's funny, cause two of the clubs that most obviously get a leg up are Brisbane and Melbourne.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 7, 2022, 12:42 pm
greeneyed wrote:Premiers and Sydney. Perfect case of star team unconscious bias.
It's funny, cause two of the clubs that most obviously get a leg up are Brisbane and Melbourne.
Not according to Broncos fans.

Most Broncos fans I know think the NRL hates them and the NRL, the refs and the judiciary are out to get them.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:

Most Broncos fans I know think the NRL hates them and the NRL, the refs and the judiciary are out to get them.
Hate them by punishing them more FTA than any other club? Hate them by not closing the 3rr party loop hole which most obviously works in their favour? Hates them by turning a blind eye to salary cap shenanigans like the Milford saga. Hates them by allowing them to keep playing that in your face **** up song after every **** try?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Hate them by punishing them more FTA than any other club? Hate them by not closing the 3rr party loop hole which most obviously works in their favour? Hates them by turning a blind eye to salary cap shenanigans like the Milford saga. Hates them by allowing them to keep playing that in your face **** up song after every **** try?
I’m not arguing with any of those points, I’m just telling you how ridiculous it is that fans think that.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Also, that song makes me **** furious, as you know.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

The Nickman wrote:Also, that song makes me **** furious, as you know.
It would be the first change I would make if I became the CEO of the NRL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So it seems Andrew Abdo and Peter V'landys were upset with Paul Kent's comments last night on NRL 360. I can understand they might be upset with the way Paul Kent speaks about issues.

It seems that the buck for the May decision rests with V'landys himself. Apparently he likened it to jockey's getting suspended, but being allowed to finish a racing carnival before serving the suspension. But rugby league is not horse racing.

It highlights again, how Peter V'landys shooting from the hip and intervening in detailed operational matters is a problem.

This decision has created a big, negative precedent. It should never happen again.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: September 7, 2022, 7:01 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

I’m not arguing with any of those points, I’m just telling you how ridiculous it is that fans think that.
Ive said it before and ill say it again
StormFans, the Chook Pen, Jubilee Ave, Broncos HQ, The Kennel, Panthers Pride, Titans Tunnel... you can go to ANY fan forum board in the history of sports and what you'll find is fans who are absolutely convinces the officials hate them and they're treated poorly
Every single one of them

Shiiiiiid, ill bet you could track down a **** Dolphins Pod forum and they're already claiming unfair treatment by the officials
Feeling persecuted by the referees is a rite of passage for every fan base. And they're all absolutely **** nuts.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah, that’s spot-on, BotPig. Up here we’re largely surrounded by cowboys fans and they absolutely believe they only lose games because of the referees and NRL conspiracies.

It’s like being on the Greenhouse fulltime.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:
Shiiiiiid, ill bet you could track down a **** Dolphins Pod forum and they're already claiming unfair treatment by the officials
Feeling persecuted by the referees is a rite of passage for every fan base. And they're all absolutely **** nuts.
Just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you!
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Completely agree that all teams think that their team is the only one who cops bad calls. Most casual fans watch their team and maximum 1-2 other games so they don’t have a perspective of how bad calls are in every single game of football.

That aside this is a ridiculous decision by the nrl completely devoid of any sanity and it will be proven to be as such when the courtesy is not extended to another team in the future.

Sanctions for off field behaviour have been wildly inconsistent for years and continue to be a complete lottery which is primarily about how much an incident blows up in the media, the time of year and what team they play for. There is no clear framework for handling off field issues and so we will continue to get baffling decisions like this year after year!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:Ive said it before and ill say it again
StormFans, the Chook Pen, Jubilee Ave, Broncos HQ, The Kennel, Panthers Pride, Titans Tunnel... you can go to ANY fan forum board in the history of sports and what you'll find is fans who are absolutely convinces the officials hate them and they're treated poorly
Every single one of them

So what you’re saying is the officials hate all clubs, and treats everyone poorly.

We’re through the looking glass here people.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:Yeah, that’s spot-on, BotPig. Up here we’re largely surrounded by cowboys fans and they absolutely believe they only lose games because of the referees and NRL conspiracies.

I think that there is bias at play at various levels.

There's no doubt that the NRL makes decisions that they perceive are in the best commercial interests of the game, which significantly favour certain clubs to the detriment of others. Additionally to the casual observer it would appear that they are inclined to turn a blind eye to fairly obvious shenanigans by clubs from important markets. An example may be when Andrew Gee said he wouldn't answer questions, it all got a bit hard.

GE would have us believe that those clubs are essentially all the Sydney clubs, when in reality I'm talking about 4 or so clubs, one of which is based in Brisbane, and another in Melbourne.

And then there is what happens on the field. Our club has had a few absolute clangers of decisions. The Tigpies copped one recently, and the Cowboys had clearly incorrect decisions cost them finals two years in a row. I think that is just incompetance rather than agenda driven. More commonly the 50:50 decisions and the handing out of 6 agains arguable favour certain clubs. This is where I agree with GE. We all makes decisions daily under the influence of cognitive biases. I don't doubt that there are subtle influences on referee split second decision making based on perceptions of who should be winning, as well as crowd pressure. Ultimately the clubs who persistantly perform at a high level are going to get the rub of the green. The best way to overcome this is to get better. But at a refereeing level, the best way to avoid bias is to be careful concious of its role in your decision making. Unfortunately the NRL has a head in the sand policy.

With regards to this decision on May. Penrith might be premiers, but they're no glamour club, and May is no glamour player. This is just incompetance I'm afraid.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hate to break it to you, Doc… but right now Penrith IS a “glamour club”, you might even go so far as to say they’re THE glamour club.

That’s what success does to you… and it’s achievable by all.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I found the punishment of Naden last year just as baffling. Tested positive for cocaine on the morning of the grand final and was slapped with a one month suspension to be served in the off season.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:Hate to break it to you, Doc… but right now Penrith IS a “glamour club”, you might even go so far as to say they’re THE glamour club.

That’s what success does to you… and it’s achievable by all.
They're not. They're really not.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 8, 2022, 9:18 pm
The Nickman wrote:Yeah, that’s spot-on, BotPig. Up here we’re largely surrounded by cowboys fans and they absolutely believe they only lose games because of the referees and NRL conspiracies.

I think that there is bias at play at various levels.

There's no doubt that the NRL makes decisions that they perceive are in the best commercial interests of the game, which significantly favour certain clubs to the detriment of others. Additionally to the casual observer it would appear that they are inclined to turn a blind eye to fairly obvious shenanigans by clubs from important markets. An example may be when Andrew Gee said he wouldn't answer questions, it all got a bit hard.

GE would have us believe that those clubs are essentially all the Sydney clubs, when in reality I'm talking about 4 or so clubs, one of which is based in Brisbane, and another in Melbourne.

And then there is what happens on the field. Our club has had a few absolute clangers of decisions. The Tigpies copped one recently, and the Cowboys had clearly incorrect decisions cost them finals two years in a row. I think that is just incompetance rather than agenda driven. More commonly the 50:50 decisions and the handing out of 6 agains arguable favour certain clubs. This is where I agree with GE. We all makes decisions daily under the influence of cognitive biases. I don't doubt that there are subtle influences on referee split second decision making based on perceptions of who should be winning, as well as crowd pressure. Ultimately the clubs who persistantly perform at a high level are going to get the rub of the green. The best way to overcome this is to get better. But at a refereeing level, the best way to avoid bias is to be careful concious of its role in your decision making. Unfortunately the NRL has a head in the sand policy.

With regards to this decision on May. Penrith might be premiers, but they're no glamour club, and May is no glamour player. This is just incompetance I'm afraid.
I think the Cowboys got screwed over 3 years in a row. First was the “hand of Foran” for Manly, second was the 7th tackle try for the Sharks, third was the no try against the Roosters for a forward pass that wasn’t. Luckily they finally got a GF win in 2015.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘Ashamed’ Luai apologises for ‘embarrassing’ best man speech at teammate’s wedding

Penrith star Jarome Luai has apologised for giving an embarrassing best man speech that he ‘will always regret’ at teammate’s Brian To’o wedding. The Panthers five-eighth slipped up retelling a story about the duo’s time together for Samoa over in England. Luai also used an offensive term to describe his friendship with To’o. It’s the second time in two months Luai has apologised in similar fashion.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 4e5a8b8c81

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d162c163cc
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

What the hell is wrong with this guy ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
President Clinton
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

He’s an absolute tool, on and off the field.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Penrith Panthers 2022

Post by Sid »

Ha ha ha stinky bum bum
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-PJ- wrote:What the hell is wrong with this guy ?
No drug testing in the preseason

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

T_R wrote: December 10, 2022, 12:37 pm
-PJ- wrote:What the hell is wrong with this guy ?
No drug testing in the preseason

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Seriously, can’t a respected family member take him outside and slap the boy straight.

There’s something wrong with this young mans wiring, he’s down a few chromosomes.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: