Raiders player signing speculation 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: June 21, 2022, 4:20 pm Why would we be wanting to sign a 30 year old reject from the Wests Tigers, after they've played half a season with that club?
He could provide some value as a utility in the squad to cover for injury but you would be paying him accordingly - no more than $200k. Otherwise, I don't think we would be wanting to sign a guy of that description.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He's struggled to get game time at the Titans, who were very ordinary. But then in contract year his form improved. Now he can't crack a very ordinary Tigers team. Is he a lazy trainer, poor attitude? He is certainly gifted enough when he gives a ****.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: June 21, 2022, 10:54 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 21, 2022, 10:40 am
BadnMean wrote: June 21, 2022, 10:10 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 21, 2022, 9:53 am
BadnMean wrote: June 21, 2022, 8:58 am

Hmm when you say Peachy was going rubbish, even last year in 2021 he had 5 tries, 12 forced drop outs (handy skillful lock) and was averaging more metres per game than Adam Elliot is this year, same tackling % at about 92% effective and broke tackles at the same rate... so if Adam Elliot is going ok then Peachy was reasonably productive.

Not a stellar player but there was a period in peak Vlandy'sball when it looked like the game was turning towards his style and size of lock. Things have slowed a tad since then.

Can see why a club took a 300k punt on him based on that. Might have been a role for him as bench lock/utility half if his form held up and the game stayed quicker.
Cherry picked stats doesn't doesn't really support the case. If he was such a valuable contributor the Titans would not have let him go and the Tigers would not be trying to offload him now.
It's a pretty broad selection of stats- defence, attack, yards. I don't really see how I "cherry picked" it.

And I didn't say he was good this year, just that he was decent enough last year to be worth a punt at the price- and his output was similar to our low dollar punt at lock...
Cherry picked across various categories and don't really prove anyting. I will agree that first half of last year he was going well. Mainly because he simplified his game. Played very direct and took the line on regualry. His game dropped off towards the back end of the year when he reverted back to his more chaotic style. Went back to playing too sideways and disrupting his own team's attack more than the opposition defense.
Lol, I included practically every stat available on a standard club profile. Do you want his kick metres? Offloads? Fantasy points? Total tackles?
Ok, lets wind this back to my initial comment that he hasn't done anything special in the last 5 years. I'm not seeing anything special in those stats.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Peachey was a bad idea then and it's probably a worse option now.

We're already blessed with a team full of hugely inconsistent players in attack and liabilities in defence.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: June 21, 2022, 4:20 pm Why would we be wanting to sign a 30 year old reject from the Wests Tigers, after they've played half a season with that club?
I'm putting my broken record back on the turntable here.

Building squads is all about value. There are many things the Canberra squad lack but I've been adamant a most forgotten and looked over player in the 30 has been sorely missed; a genuine utility. Most successful squads have one of these players floating about. Sometimes on the bench, sometimes in reserve grade.

Penrith carried May last year and Salmon this year. They offer very little when all is going well. But in a do or die match they sit on that bench and cover the halves, centre and backrow in case things go awry.

Over the past several seasons as Canberra fans we have seen either outside backs sitting on the bench going to waste or CHN in the centres or Whitehead in the halves.

No one on this forum could convince me that the squad wouldn't be better for that 17th player being a Tyrone Peachey type player. He's your spare outside back whilst being able to cover the halves, backrow and hooker.

We haven't had that player for years and need it. I don't care if it's Peachey or someone else but it is harshly needed. And if you can get Peachey for a year for 200k the squad is way better for it imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm not interested in clogging up the top 30 with over the hill, poorly performed players like Tyrone Peachey at any price. There is young talent we should be retaining instead. Happy to have external recruitment, but there’s no point picking up 30 year olds.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

If we are going for a utility for next year I would prefer us to be looking at an Adam Keighran type player. Aged in the mid 20's and able to cover 2 spine positions (9 and 6) as well as center and he can kick goals. Would not be overpriced either. BadNMean, how do his stats look?
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Wouldn't touch him at any price, when you bring players in at low cost like that they need to have the right attitude and I dont see it peachy. Net negative in my opinion who only ever looked good at centre for a brief period of time. Not needed.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: June 21, 2022, 7:31 pm I'm not interested in clogging up the top 30 with over the hill, poorly performed players like Tyrone Peachey at any price. There is young talent we should be retaining instead. Happy to have external recruitment, but there’s no point picking up 30 year olds.
Is there a young utility player in the system capable of playing NRL that were all unaware of GE?
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

julian87 wrote: June 22, 2022, 8:35 am
greeneyed wrote: June 21, 2022, 7:31 pm I'm not interested in clogging up the top 30 with over the hill, poorly performed players like Tyrone Peachey at any price. There is young talent we should be retaining instead. Happy to have external recruitment, but there’s no point picking up 30 year olds.
Is there a young utility player in the system capable of playing NRL that were all unaware of GE?
I think others you’ve mentioned aren’t bad options Julian. Including Keirghan and Lam, though they may not be available.

I do wonder if Schneider / the club could benefit from being on the bench. He can play in the halves and I think he’d be rugged enough to play lock.

Remains to be seen if he could cut it in the backs at a pinch.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

President Clinton wrote:
I think others you’ve mentioned aren’t bad options Julian. Including Keirghan and Lam, though they may not be available.

I do wonder if Schneider / the club could benefit from being on the bench. He can play in the halves and I think he’d be rugged enough to play lock.

I think Schneider could do a semi-serviceable job at dummy half for brief stints. It may be where his career is trending? He doesn't have that 'zip' off the standing start that you normally associate with halfs. His defence is pretty good too.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

gergreg wrote: June 22, 2022, 9:54 am
President Clinton wrote:

I think Schneider could do a semi-serviceable job at dummy half for brief stints. It may be where his career is trending? He doesn't have that 'zip' off the standing start that you normally associate with halfs. His defence is pretty good too.
I prefer to keep developing him as a half. He very likely won't transform into a superstar but I think he's more than capable of overtaking Fogarty in the pecking order.
Wobbly Wobby
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Big Red

Post by Wobbly Wobby »

gergreg wrote: June 22, 2022, 9:54 am
President Clinton wrote:

I was thinking that myself, looking to have the raw potential and body size/shape as a recently retired failed half that moved to hooker and could also kick goals...and not for a moment am i suggesting that Schneider is the next Cam Smith, just speculating upon the precedence
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Would like us to make a play for liam Martin. Defensively outstanding and runs hard on a good line. Obviously we’d have to pay slight overs but i think in some situations you just need to do that.
Dont delete this GE
President Clinton
Dean Lance

Post by President Clinton »

simo wrote: June 22, 2022, 2:45 pm Would like us to make a play for liam Martin. Defensively outstanding and runs hard on a good line. Obviously we’d have to pay slight overs but I think in some situations you just need to do that.
Don't know about this.

Martin seems to be the exact player that wins a premiership and goes to a club that pays overs and doesnt live up to the hype. Tohu Harris, Kevin Proctor, James Tamou...

It is going to be a different kettle of fish going from the Panthers - who are maybe the best club side I have ever seen in my time watching the game - to a club like the Raiders, Tigers, Dragons or Titans etc.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

I would be happy to take a punt on Martin. He's got a bit of mongrel about him.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Tohu harris is a fantastic player still. Just interrupted with injuries.
Liam martin plays very different to those mentioned. His a hard running, aggressive defender. I dont think any of what he brings changes dependant on what team hes in and i think we would benefit from having a player of his style on our right edge.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think edge forward is our biggest need outside of the spine
My problem is im not sure paying big money for an edge forward is actually smart until we've got halves who can actually use them properly

in terms of a team building process, i think edge forward whilst a need for us, is still a little while off needing to spend good money on, which is what Martin will require. Love the player and think if we had the right team i'd be very eager to go after him
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

State of Origin stars ready to flood NRL player market

Unbelievably, 15 players from State of Origin II in Perth could flood the NRL open market in just four months, prompting a frenzied scramble by cashed-up clubs to secure the cream of rugby league.

Origin squad players Daniel Tupou, Victor Radley, Ben Hunt, Damien Cook, Stephen Crichton, Liam Martin, Brian To’o, Murray Taulagi, Cameron Munster, Selwyn Cobbo, Thomas Flegler, Siosifa Talakai and Jeremiah Nanai come off contract after next season, meaning they are free agents from November 1 this year.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... f1ee3ff7b1
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Just to immediately do a 180 on what i said 2 posts ago... Jeremiah Nanai, if you want to target a second rower, that's the guy to target imo.
We did this with Tapine, identified an elite talent and did what it took to get him here and now he's one of the best players in the world. Nanai has that potential too
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Botman wrote:Just to immediately do a 180 on what i said 2 posts ago... Jeremiah Nanai, if you want to target a second rower, that's the guy to target imo.
We did this with Tapine, identified an elite talent and did what it took to get him here and now he's one of the best players in the world. Nanai has that potential too
Heilum Luki’s a young guy with load of potential we should target, he won’t be a look in to starting at the Cows for a while but is a very promising player. Hopefully wouldn’t cost the world either.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins

Post by Danaman137 »

Postman Pat wrote:
Botman wrote:Just to immediately do a 180 on what i said 2 posts ago... Jeremiah Nanai, if you want to target a second rower, that's the guy to target imo.
Heilum Luki’s a young guy with load of potential we should target, he won’t be a look in to starting at the Cows for a while but is a very promising player. Hopefully wouldn’t cost the world either.
He’ll be starting next year assuming he comes back well from from injury. Tom Gilbert is going to the Dolphins and Luki has looked dangerous all season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Danaman137 wrote:
Postman Pat wrote:
He’ll be starting next year assuming he comes back well from from injury. Tom Gilbert is going to the Dolphins and Luki has looked dangerous all season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They’ve strangely signed Leilua though, I’d definitely be targeting Luki

I think Nanai is already at that proven stage and his price would be astronomical, love him as a player and never seen a forward so good in the air it’s uncanny how often he jumps over guys

Would love Martin and I honestly think that’s been worked on behind the scenes. From Temora, brother played for us in the juniors, makes a lot of sense that we are chasing him

We most certainly need a refresh and getting a little worried about Fog’s form, was never expecting a super star but he’s choosing the wrong option often like throwing a cutout when he should’ve gone through the hands, playing short when out the back was the play and last week was him just dying with the ball
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

simo wrote: June 22, 2022, 2:45 pm Would like us to make a play for liam Martin. Defensively outstanding and runs hard on a good line. Obviously we’d have to pay slight overs but i think in some situations you just need to do that.
Paying overs for someone from Penrith, just because they're from Penrith, would be bad news imo.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: June 22, 2022, 7:24 pm Just to immediately do a 180 on what i said 2 posts ago... Jeremiah Nanai, if you want to target a second rower, that's the guy to target imo.
Haha I actually fully disagree with this. Most over rated player currently. Has done some really flashy stuff but most of the really important stuff is sub par.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Oh i dont really disagree he's currently a bit over-rated. But it's just rare to find guys who have his athleticism and can do what he can do.
Tapine was a bit the same when we got him... he was clearly very talented by seemed to bit lazy etc... that's one of the reasons why i drew the parallel
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Postman Pat wrote: June 22, 2022, 10:37 pm
Think he recently re-signed with the Cowboys
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Botman wrote:
Postman Pat wrote: June 22, 2022, 10:37 pm
Think he recently re-signed with the Cowboys
They might want him to play middle, they’ve obviously signed Leilua to play one edge and Nanai is a lock for the other edge.

Luki may very well feel on the outer, worth asking the question.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Luki seems like a middle in waiting. He's played off the bench there and he's got that extra bit of presence and punch about him. Just needs experience.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Martin would be gettable and certainly an upgrade on Elliott.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I know Luke Brooks is an unpopular name here and the Raiders aren't at all interested, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing how he goes at another club.

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Paul Crawley suggesting in the DT that we could look at signing Matt Lodge for the rest of the year. I nearly choked on my toast. I absolutely detest Matt Lodge and wanted to slap Crawley with a cold, rotten tuna for even suggesting it.

Muppet also left Tapine out of the top 10 players this year, stating Reuben Cotter was better....and he also included Cobbo
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:I know Luke Brooks is an unpopular name here and the Raiders aren't at all interested, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing how he goes at another club.

1.3 million next year has been tossed around. What the **** were the Tigers thinking when they cleared that? And whoever did should be sacked - was it Pascoe?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think we've seen the best of Luke Brooks.

He's talented for sure. Just not sure he's what we need.

And an adamant NO for Peachey
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I would have taken Brooks over Fogarty when we were recruiting a half, but it sounds like we may have had to pay around $700k a season (with Wests still contributing money).

What were Wests thinking.

BTW, Can I get Brooks manager to negotiate my next consultancy contract?