Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: July 31, 2022, 8:37 pm
Botman wrote: July 31, 2022, 8:34 pm
Rick wrote: July 31, 2022, 8:03 pm I think the biggest things we are missing next year is a lock, Right side Second Row or as said below someone to put pressure on Whitehead and CHN plus a back up fullback.

We need a scrappy hard working lock (Bateman, Fensom, Elliot) rather than another prop. We need someone to plug the defensive holes and do the hard work allowing our props to shine. Mooney? Webb?

I can’t see whitehead getting back to his best unless the club are being coy about an injury. CHN is good in attack but a liability in defence. Mooney would be next in line?

Behind Savage we only have stop gap options. The new guy is 18 but I suggest we need someone in between. Our wingers don’t slot in there as easily as other teams do. Rapana is too old and NC is too big. Schiller is more of a centre rather than FB. Kris, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think there is some internal optimism that we've got 2 really good #13 prospects in Mooney and Ruston. I get the feeling the club is pretty confident between those two they've got an answer to the #13 question.
I’m pretty confident of that myself.
The fact we were out there trying to recruit Katoa tells me the club is thinking along the same lines- lock has a few decent options within the squad, 2nd rower is where we need to be adding someone.

I even wonder if we'd have let CHN go if we had got Katoa. Funny bit of business re-signing him and then all this.

Our back up is covered for FG by Rapa and Schiller. I think Schiller might have a few more skills than just an average winger. So our stop gap options are ok. Reggies FB can be Hoppa or get a journeyman minimum in because I honestly think Savage is it and it's Rapa or Schiller in FG behind him. And you're better off financially by having a few decent backup wingers so you can shift one to FB for a few weeks if needed than trying to keep a genuinely good FB in reggies (we tried that with Aekins, it didn't do much for us despite him having 80% of a FG fullbacks game).
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Rick wrote: July 31, 2022, 8:03 pm I think the biggest things we are missing next year is a lock, Right side Second Row or as said below someone to put pressure on Whitehead and CHN plus a back up fullback.

We need a scrappy hard working lock (Bateman, Fensom, Elliot) rather than another prop. We need someone to plug the defensive holes and do the hard work allowing our props to shine. Mooney? Webb?

I can’t see whitehead getting back to his best unless the club are being coy about an injury. CHN is good in attack but a liability in defence. Mooney would be next in line?

Behind Savage we only have stop gap options. The new guy is 18 but I suggest we need someone in between. Our wingers don’t slot in there as easily as other teams do. Rapana is too old and NC is too big. Schiller is more of a centre rather than FB. Kris, no.

I think there is some internal optimism that we've got 2 really good #13 prospects in Mooney and Ruston. I get the feeling the club is pretty confident between those two they've got an answer to the #13 question.
Mooney will be great in the 13 role..
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I concur. I've got a lot of confidence in Mooney and Ruston.
Ive said it before and ill say it again, this time next year when the Adam Elliott (who to his credit is playing great footy right now) minutes are going to Rushton or Mooney at #13 and we're paying those guys half of what Elliott is getting at the knights... i dont think anyone will be pining for Elliott. I like where we are at for middle forwards... and maybe those guys dont live up to the hype, but i dont think the club is wrong to beleive in them
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I just wished we had seen more of Rushton and Mooney this year rather than the rubbish 5-10 minutes they were given.

Rushton is one of my favourites but not sure her brings what we need to the 13 role. He is a bit bigger. And whilst being a ball player does not seem to have the defensive agility to fix up all our mistakes. I see him being more of a 4th prop / 17th man.

Mooney is promising but again seems to be Moore focused on attack. Stick might coach the fun out of him though.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Katoa is an idiot for not following up our interest or maybe he just needs to stay in NZ.

Stuart might not have a great record around developing half backs, but gee he can create opportunities for second rowers and improve their play.

I’d love to be a second rower with Papa and Taps as my props and a game plan that creates more opportunities for second rowers than it does for centres and wingers.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Ricky said last week what I thought was a salient comment. Referring to the young outside backs, that he has a good relationship with their managers and that he's told them he won't "buy over the top of them". That they've had to wait their turn at times, but that they will get a good run

I think the same will apply to Savage, Rushton and Mooney. He made them wait this year behind CNK, Sutton and Elliott, but next year I expect them to be front and centre

They'll need depth of course and plan B's, it'll be interesting to see who we end up with
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

I still think we need to go after a 9, 13, genuine 1 option and a second rower based on what we have seen so far. Right now going with what we have means forgetting about being top 4 team for the next 3 years and that's assuming Fogs is a decent halfback.
I thought Rushton would have been good when he came in but he was a bit of a disappointment and Mooney played like 10 mins so assuming they will do a better job than 100 gamers in the middle seems a stretch at least in the next couple of years. Question is does the club and fan base accept losing a couple of years developing these players in the hope that they become good like Hudson, or bring in players to maximize the top players we have now like Taps, Pap, Jack?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: August 1, 2022, 10:17 pm

Ricky said last week what I thought was a salient comment. Referring to the young outside backs, that he has a good relationship with their managers and that he's told them he won't "buy over the top of them". That they've had to wait their turn at times, but that they will get a good run

I think the same will apply to Savage, Rushton and Mooney. He made them wait this year behind CNK, Sutton and Elliott, but next year I expect them to be front and centre

They'll need depth of course and plan B's, it'll be interesting to see who we end up with
Yeah i heard that comment and thought it was pretty insightful too. 100% agree with depth and plan b's and maybe Mooney and Ruston flop at the next level, that's always possible, even with guys like Mooney who looks to me a cant miss talent (and by that i dont mean he's definitely a superstar, just im rally confident at the very least he's a long term NRL footballer)... but right now, given what we know and what we've seen... if they flop, they flop and that sucks, but the club i think in this instance is correct in believing they don't need to (to use the Stuart term) "buy over" our young middle forwards
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Matthew Eisenhuth would be an ok backup/pushing the other forwards. He's had experience playing that lock role at a side that bases their attack around that position. But I doubt he'd move to compete for a bench spot.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Raidernation wrote: August 2, 2022, 3:48 am I still think we need to go after a 9, 13, genuine 1 option and a second rower based on what we have seen so far. Right now going with what we have means forgetting about being top 4 team for the next 3 years and that's assuming Fogs is a decent halfback.
I thought Rushton would have been good when he came in but he was a bit of a disappointment and Mooney played like 10 mins so assuming they will do a better job than 100 gamers in the middle seems a stretch at least in the next couple of years. Question is does the club and fan base accept losing a couple of years developing these players in the hope that they become good like Hudson, or bring in players to maximize the top players we have now like Taps, Pap, Jack?
We don't have enough top 30 spots left to fill four positions, nor would we have the cap space next year to sign four seasoned players in those positions. I don't think we're as bad as our current position on the ladder suggests either. We had a poor start to the season but the lads have been playing to their potential lately. There are definitely question marks around our 9 and 1 positions but Woolford has been solid so far - if he continues on his current form and keeps adding to his game, we don't need 9 on our shopping list. And it's too early to make a call on Savage - happy to give him a chance to own that spot before we go looking for other options. I agree on your point regarding Rushton and Mooney at lock - they haven't seen much time in first grade and it's a gamble to rely on one of two rookies to come good. But out of all the young guys in the comp that have played less than a handful of NRL games, those two are probably the top two as far as locks go. In other words, I think it's a sensible gamble to take. If neither are cutting the mustard, there are always plenty of middle forward options available to bring in mid-season.

Halfback is where I'd be looking to upgrade if a player worth taking a gamble on becomes available. Fogarty has been much better in recent weeks though, and he's starting to combine well with Wighton and the guys playing outside him. But we know he's at his ceiling so it's probably the most obvious position to upgrade. The other is second row. Young has taken the opportunity to own his spot but we know Whitehead is well past his prime, and Harawira-Naera isn't being utilised there properly. If Whitehead continues to decline, he won't be playing at a first grade standard next year. I think it's crucial for us to have at least a back up option there as we don't really have any other options in the squad besides Mooney who isn't suited to an edge.

Noting the lack of halfback options available, I'd be looking to bring in a second rower and probably an outside back utility that can cover fullback. Not sure an experienced middle forward would be a necessary signing if we picked up a second rower as Harawira-Naera would be shifting to the middle in that scenario. Then I'd be monitoring the 9, 1 and 13 to assess whether we need to recruit there for 2024.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

If we hadn't been entirely screwed over against the Warriors and Dragons we would have been equal fourth on points.

We also lost very winnable games against the likes of Brisbane, Parramatta and the Cowboys. All that despite having a wrecked spine for all but the last couple of rounds of the comp.

This talk of not having a top 4 capable squad is nonsense IMO.

There is no doubt we have played some shockingly poor football at times, but with a couple of minor changes in the second row and lock, I have no doubt this team has all the ability to push for a top 4 spot next season.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

What's that old saying?
If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

The reason we're not a top 4 team is because we got ourselves into positions against bad teams like the warriors and dragons where a bad call could hurt us. If we were a top 4 calibre team we'd have never let those football teams be close enough to beat us on a bad call.

Similarly top 4 teams actually WIN those so called winnable games against Brisbane, Parra and Cowboys... that's what makes them top 4 teams.
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

BJ wrote:Katoa is an idiot for not following up our interest or maybe he just needs to stay in NZ.

Stuart might not have a great record around developing half backs, but gee he can create opportunities for second rowers and improve their play.

I’d love to be a second rower with Papa and Taps as my props and a game plan that creates more opportunities for second rowers than it does for centres and wingers.
Not an idiot if the alternative is the Storm.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

RTW wrote:
BJ wrote:Katoa is an idiot for not following up our interest or maybe he just needs to stay in NZ.

Not an idiot if the alternative is the Storm.

Fair point.

He’ll probably choose Titans or Tigers however:-)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:What's that old saying?

The reason we're not a top 4 team is because we got ourselves into positions against bad teams like the warriors and dragons where a bad call could hurt us. If we were a top 4 calibre team we'd have never let those football teams be close enough to beat us on a bad call.

Similarly top 4 teams actually WIN those so called winnable games against Brisbane, Parra and Cowboys... that's what makes them top 4 teams.
I clearly made the point that, in my opinion, we have a top 4 *capable* squad. I also pointed out we've played some shockingly bad football this season.

So yeah, aunties with balls and all that. I've watched our games. I know how we've played and also what we are capable of doing.

Despite having the worst fullback in modern history.

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Seiffert82 wrote: August 2, 2022, 5:15 pm

I clearly made the point that, in my opinion, we have a top 4 *capable* squad. I also pointed out we've played some shockingly bad football this season.

So yeah, aunties with balls and all that. I've watched our games. I know how we've played and also what we are capable of doing.

CNK or Savage?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Finchy wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: August 2, 2022, 5:15 pm

CNK or Savage?
Clearly Savage. Worst ever. Since the industrial revolution anyway.

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Including David Milne?

Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Milne > Savage and its not even close lol
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Come on! Then there's Caleb Aekins. Some short memories around here.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Yeah Milne wasn’t that bad, had some good attack. Kind of a McCrone level. Good and bad.

I agree with GE. Aekins was atrocious.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Aekins was more of a back up fullback...Doesn't count
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Reece Robinson anyone? Sure he had a real purple patch (briefly) in attack but would take a dummy thrown to nobody just to avoid contact.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Brad Abbey ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Marshall Chalk had a crack at fullback didn’t he?
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

Postman Pat wrote: August 2, 2022, 9:36 pm Marshall Chalk had a crack at fullback didn’t he?
Ah yes, “Matthew”.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Savage is a huge talent on a massive learning curve, yes today he's our weak point but he's a long way ahead of a stack of our fullbacks in the past.
If CNK was in 2019 form we'd be fine but here we are

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: August 3, 2022, 6:01 am Savage is a huge talent on a massive learning curve, yes today he's our weak point but he's a long way ahead of a stack of our fullbacks in the past.
If CNK was in 2019 form we'd be fine but here we are

Agree.

Not sure if the people horrified that a young fullback makes mistakes (and has improvements to make) realise that all fullbacks make them- it's a pressure position. Gutherson, Reece Walsh and Drinkwater are all making mistakes at similar rates and surprise surprise, two of them are also rookie fullbacks with big attacking potential (one of whom is 25 and years ahead in development). Gutho is in there to show good fullbacks who try things in attack, will still make errors most games.

We had hit our ceiling as a team with such a stunted attack from the most important attacking position- we'd get thrashed by top 4 teams when it really came down to it, repeatedly blown away in big games by teams who could actually change the complexion of a match by scoring (Melbourne and Penrith semis).

Now we have a guy who can break a game open. It's fun to watch. But I expect to watch him learn along the way for a couple more years yet. Just like almost all young players do in high pressure positions.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Think you’ll find S82’s tongue in his cheek fellas…
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote:Think you’ll find S82’s tongue in his cheek fellas…
Haha, yeah, the theme of the conversation quickly degraded into stating the obvious, so I thought I'd ratchet it up a level and continue my death riding campaign against poor ol' Javier.

I'm aiming to surpass afgtnk (I miss that guy) and his unhealthy obsession with Aiden Sezer. Figured that ended well with a spot in the 2019 grand final, so the means clearly justifies the end.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Seiffert82 wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Think you’ll find S82’s tongue in his cheek fellas…
Haha, yeah, the theme of the conversation quickly degraded into stating the obvious, so I thought I'd ratchet it up a level and continue my death riding campaign against poor ol' Javier.

I'm aiming to surpass afgtnk (I miss that guy) and his unhealthy obsession with Aiden Sezer. Figured that ended well with a spot in the 2019 grand final, so the means clearly justifies the end.

I wasn't having a crack at Seif, there's plenty of others that are actually serious.

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Boy, I've stumbled into some BIG dubbies in this thread!!

You hate to see it.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:Boy, I've stumbled into some BIG dubbies in this thread!!

You hate to see it.
Is that a euphemism?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

reptar wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Boy, I've stumbled into some BIG dubbies in this thread!!

You hate to see it.
Is that a euphemism?
No it’s not… I LOVE seeing big “dubbies”
Bennyboy2283
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

I’d love to sign James graham for pathways coach for more pommie kids and other kids coming through