All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 7, 2022, 9:38 pm
BJ wrote: May 7, 2022, 4:48 pm I think Matterson is after pretty big money based on media reports.
Zero Tackle has him on $470K, which isn't quite as much as I thought.
Canberra Milk wrote: May 7, 2022, 3:53 pm Surely people don't think we're too good for Ryan Matterson... "moving the needle" puts the bar too high, sometimes you just need an upgrade, which is what he is
I agree with your upgrade v move-the-needle observation, I was just questioning his upgrade value versus his price. But, as mentioned above, I thought he was on more than he appears to be.

He'll be 28 this year, so I expect he'll gunning for one last big pay cheque. I'd hate to use our alleged war chest on guy, who while good, has never dominated for extended periods and has had some health concerns.

Having said that, the market is pretty thin on 'needle movers', so not sure what else to do.

How much would you pay for him?
Where is the allegation of a war chest? I was of the impression that all the money we have freed up has already been spent. If anything has been freed you can easily imagine it's going towards upgrades for battlers like Elliott and Horsburgh.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 9, 2022, 7:38 am
BJ wrote: May 7, 2022, 4:48 pm I think Matterson is after pretty big money based on media reports.
Canberra Milk wrote: May 7, 2022, 3:53 pm Surely people don't think we're too good for Ryan Matterson... "moving the needle" puts the bar too high, sometimes you just need an upgrade, which is what he is
I agree with your upgrade v move-the-needle observation, I was just questioning his upgrade value versus his price. But, as mentioned above, I thought he was on more than he appears to be.

He'll be 28 this year, so I expect he'll gunning for one last big pay cheque. I'd hate to use our alleged war chest on guy, who while good, has never dominated for extended periods and has had some health concerns.

Having said that, the market is pretty thin on 'needle movers', so not sure what else to do.

Where is the allegation of a war chest? I was of the impression that all the money we have freed up has already been spent. If anything has been freed you can easily imagine it's going towards upgrades for battlers like Elliott and Horsburgh.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 792427347e

"News Corp journalist Phil Rothfield took it one step further, declaring that the club’s premiership window has closed. But he does believe there are brighter days coming for the club with coach Ricky Stuart set to be armed with a war chest."

Just going off these stories that were kicking around a month or so ago.

No doubt some of Hodgo's big salary has been shaved away on upgrades for battlers but not all. And there been a lot of smoke about Croker retiring, which can only have increased after he did his shoulder. That'd be two of our biggest salaries cleared.

In the past, it's seemed like we should have money available but somehow didn't. But this time around, Ricky isn't happy with the players, so I'd be surprised if he settled for tinkering with the current squad. Then again, I've been surprised before.
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by thevikingclap on ig »

I’ve seen that the Roosters apparently want Crichton to take a pay cut to stay at the roosters with the arrival of the cheese. This would be the ideal time to swoop in and offer him around $650k-$800k to get him here.

Matterson would also be a good target, with Isaiah PAPALI’I leaving the club aswell as Marata Niukore the chances of him re-signing is likely with there being a vacant edge spot.

Burton wouldn’t be a good signing in my eyes as Wighton is by far our best spine player and needs to touch the ball more than anyone. If we wanted to sign Burton it would have to be in the centres or as lock but im sure he would rather return to Penrith to play centre then here.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

I doubt Crichton would come for 1.5m tbh.

Burton might be a good shot if we make him a 1m offer.

Realistically I’d say depending on the club we start at a 25% to 100% disadvantage in terms of what we need to pay to recruit in demand NRL players, with a couple of exceptions.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

InFernos_Raiders wrote: May 9, 2022, 12:43 am
zim wrote: May 5, 2022, 3:41 pm I'm leaning more towards Matterson as well. Got a fend, offload. Can create and run a line. The only issue would be price. Given how we are going we'd be more comfortable with paying a bit more than previous.
But instead they want to extend A Elliott for two more year.
There's room for both if they want. They won't play the same role and A Elliott won't command the same money.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

thevikingclap on ig wrote: May 9, 2022, 8:14 am I’ve seen that the Roosters apparently want Crichton to take a pay cut to stay at the roosters with the arrival of the cheese. This would be the ideal time to swoop in and offer him around $650k-$800k to get him here.

Matterson would also be a good target, with Isaiah PAPALI’I leaving the club aswell as Marata Niukore the chances of him re-signing is likely with there being a vacant edge spot.

Burton wouldn’t be a good signing in my eyes as Wighton is by far our best spine player and needs to touch the ball more than anyone. If we wanted to sign Burton it would have to be in the centres or as lock but im sure he would rather return to Penrith to play centre then here.
Didnt Niukore sign elsewhere already?
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Matt wrote: May 9, 2022, 4:53 pm
thevikingclap on ig wrote: May 9, 2022, 8:14 am I’ve seen that the Roosters apparently want Crichton to take a pay cut to stay at the roosters with the arrival of the cheese. This would be the ideal time to swoop in and offer him around $650k-$800k to get him here.

Didnt Niukore sign elsewhere already?
He's signed with the Warriors
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson

Yes I meant that with him and I Pap leaving he will probs re-sign.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

That makes more sense
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Jeremy Marshall-King looking for a new club.
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

sprintman wrote:Jeremy Marshall-King looking for a new club.
Please. God. No.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

What's matt srama up to?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

Sid wrote: May 10, 2022, 3:21 pm What's matt srama up to?

Long retired and in real estate.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 9, 2022, 7:47 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 9, 2022, 7:38 am

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 792427347e

"News Corp journalist Phil Rothfield took it one step further, declaring that the club’s premiership window has closed. But he does believe there are brighter days coming for the club with coach Ricky Stuart set to be armed with a war chest."

Just going off these stories that were kicking around a month or so ago.

No doubt some of Hodgo's big salary has been shaved away on upgrades for battlers but not all. And there been a lot of smoke about Croker retiring, which can only have increased after he did his shoulder. That'd be two of our biggest salaries cleared.

In the past, it's seemed like we should have money available but somehow didn't. But this time around, Ricky isn't happy with the players, so I'd be surprised if he settled for tinkering with the current squad. Then again, I've been surprised before.
Thanks. I have zero confidence the war chest hasn't already been raided, and the remaining $500k will be spent on CHT.

Unrelated, imagine how dire circumstances would be if the GH collective ran our recruitment. We'd have two more years of Dufty, SJ, Croker and Whitehead :roflmao
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I can't find many decent Qld Cup Highlights. And the fact he can't get a run for the Titans isn't great. But Paul Turner is a bloke who looked a raw talent. Similar to a young Craigie or Lolohea and could be value with some pace and talent upside ro replace a Williams or Frawley.

I have absolutely no clue what he's producing in Q Cup though.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 10, 2022, 3:59 pm
Thanks. I have zero confidence the war chest hasn't already been raided, and the remaining $500k will be spent on CHT.

Unrelated, imagine how dire circumstances would be if the GH collective ran our recruitment. We'd have two more years of Dufty, SJ, Croker and Whitehead :roflmao
Hahahahaha. So true.

To be honest, I'm the absolute worst. I've never thought Dufty was good enough to be a first grade fullback and criticised his defence every game I've seen him play. And yet when people on here were suggesting him as a possible recruit a while back, I convinced myself he could be a worthwhile target. Nek minnit Matt Frawley strolls by him with the most unbuyable of dummies. I am a muppet.

p.s. I have no faith in that the alleged war chest will be available this summer other than it was on NRL360 and Kenty, AKA Ricky's BFF, seemed to think it would.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Crash Ball wrote: May 10, 2022, 3:25 pm
Sid wrote: May 10, 2022, 3:21 pm What's matt srama up to?

Long retired and in real estate.
Speaking of long retired and in real estate, I saw none other than our famous former halfback Brad Drew at the Panthers/Eels game on Friday night in the crowd right in front of me. Two clubs he also played for. Still looking potato-ish.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Rumours Roosters are trying to move on Luke Keary to make way for Munster... Could we??

I always thought Keary was a smart player, not particularly skilled as a kicker (as is say Cleary). Had a great combo with Tedesco. Not sure how he'd go as the big playmaker of the team, as opposed to being a great cog in a great Roosters wheel, where he could pick his moments more. May have lost his running game too since knee op. Still, he's a big name in a key position, proven performer...
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

It's kind of an awkward fit as he's not a typical 7. If we did bring him here I think you'd need to shift Wighton into another position. Keary 6, Fog 7. Then you've got 2 guys that are better when they don't have to organise as much getting that freedom.
Once Fog is back I think our roster has bigger problems at 9 and 1 right now. Even at centre. Stating the obvious but I'd much prefer Munster :lol:
Sthsea22
Terry Campese

Post by Sthsea22 »

Wighton needs to go back to Centre or play Lock

Cannot justify his selection at 6 anymore

Harris-Tavita, Ben Hampton, Kurt Falls, Lachlan Lam, Jock Madden all unsigned for 2022
thevikingclap on ig
Peter Jackson

I think Scott Drinkwater will be a good signing for us. Can play 6 if we want to
move Wighton or can play 1 with CNK in the centres.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

It pleases me to see more and more people finally come to the realization that Wighton isn't a great No.6.
Been saying this since 2021....great to see it finally becoming fashionable.
Centre or Lock 100%. I'd try lock first given we know he can handle Centre.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Raiders have already been linked to Liddle haven't they?

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

:roflmao to moving Wighton from 6, honestly made me laugh!
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Wighton is a good 6 if he had a competent half next to him!
Hasn’t had one for 12 months.

Hopefully Jamal is a good fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote:Wighton is a good 6 if he had a competent half next to him!

And a competent coach.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

The Nickman wrote:
Brew wrote:Wighton is a good 6 if he had a competent half next to him!

And a competent coach.
In Ricky we trust.

Believe!

In Ricky We Trust
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I genuinely think the main issues in our lack of structure, ageing and ill equipped roster, and diabolical bench use stem from a lack of belief from the supporter group.

This one’s on us, we need to stand up!
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

GreenMachine wrote: May 12, 2022, 3:54 pm It pleases me to see more and more people finally come to the realization that Wighton isn't a great No.6.
'How can you say that when he won the Dally M playing 6 and he also won 5/8 of the year as well' crowd are starting to get angry :P
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

PerthRaider86 wrote: May 13, 2022, 8:37 am
GreenMachine wrote: May 12, 2022, 3:54 pm It pleases me to see more and more people finally come to the realization that Wighton isn't a great No.6.
'How can you say that when he won the Dally M playing 6 and he also won 5/8 of the year as well' crowd are starting to get angry :P
Im not Jack’s biggest fan and I also think he’s a very limited 6. But I still think it’s a fair effort to win both those awards playing in a position you’re supposedly very poor at.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Finchy wrote: May 13, 2022, 8:45 am
PerthRaider86 wrote: May 13, 2022, 8:37 am
Im not Jack’s biggest fan and I also think he’s a very limited 6. But I still think it’s a fair effort to win both those awards playing in a position you’re supposedly very poor at.
Fair effort yes. But he did have the likes of GWilly to help guide the team around the park...

Without a good partner, he would be a better ball playing lock who can run than playing 6
Perth Based Raiders Fan
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Reasonable mail that we have picked up Qld 18yo Tom Powell on a development deal, courted by Broncos, Titans, Dolphins, Cowboys

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Bigcheese wrote: May 12, 2022, 6:50 pm :roflmao to moving Wighton from 6, honestly made me laugh!
Yeah I wouldn't be moving him at all. With the caveat that if we're signing someone to be our new highest paid player (eg Keary or Munster) then we're going to put them in their preferred position.
Mr. Snrub
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Albert Fulivai

Post by Mr. Snrub »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... SpkxiL4Wlg

Liam Martin has knocked back an offer from Penrith. I think he’d be a great pick up. A bit Batemanesque in the way he has a bit of mongrel about him.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Mr. Snrub wrote:https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... SpkxiL4Wlg

Liam Martin has knocked back an offer from Penrith. I think he’d be a great pick up. A bit Batemanesque in the way he has a bit of mongrel about him.
he'd be my top pick

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer