Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Politics Thread 2022

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:Our local had some snags
Was good to get out early grab a snag, get some treats from the school cake stall and cackle in the face of the greens how to vote guy when he asked if id like a paper.

Where is everyone going for their coverage tonight? Im not sure yet which station ill go through. Channel 10 have a pretty solid line up, and my guy Pppppppyne is over on C7. If things turn nicely for Morrison, i might flick over to Nine to catch Bill Shorten's PTSD
We’re rocking ABC here in the 2765. Love me some Crabb
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dutton looks gone
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

This is shaping up to be a pretty tightly run thing... it couldnt happen again, could it?!
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:This is shaping up to be a pretty tightly run thing... it couldnt happen again, could it?!
Wouldn’t like to work at a polling company right now. As useless as 1970s weathermen at this point Image
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Teals are smashing it.

From the start I backed a hung parliament with Labor to form a minority government. Come on baby!

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 21, 2022, 8:03 pm
Botman wrote:This is shaping up to be a pretty tightly run thing... it couldnt happen again, could it?!
Wouldn’t like to work at a polling company right now. As useless as 1970s weathermen at this point Image
Indeed!
Early doors feels like a minority ALP government... those always go well!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 21, 2022, 8:04 pm Teals are smashing it.

From the start I backed a hung parliament with Labor to form a minority government. Come on baby!

Yeah the teals are putting in some serious work here. It's a very clear message to the majors that more and more people are simply not buying what either of them are trying to sell.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:

Yeah the teals are putting in some serious work here. It's a very clear message to the majors that more and more people are simply not buying what either of them are trying to sell.
It's fantastic. Except it will push the relics of the LNP further to the right

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Chris Bowen comes across as pretty unlikeable

Liberal commentators on channel 7 all but conceded
Last edited by Dr Zaius on May 21, 2022, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Saw a report this morning that out of 17 million registered voters there has been 7 million pre-poll and postal votes. Those will take a while to hit the counts and will have a massive influence on a lot of the tight seats. Might be a bit longer till we know what the next government will look like.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Its pretty much now down to a minority or majority ALP party
Scomo is DUN
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 21, 2022, 8:17 pm
Botman wrote:

Yeah it will push those relics futher to the right but i think the party itself will have a little course correction and move away from those relics.
Maybe wishful thinking though!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 21, 2022, 8:17 pm
Botman wrote:

Yeah it will push those relics futher to the right but i think the party itself will have a little course correction and move away from those relics.
Maybe wishful thinking though!
Hopefully. They need a clean out.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: May 21, 2022, 8:33 pm Its pretty much now down to a minority or majority ALP party
Scomo is DUN
Early indicators. LNP cannot win. ALP unlikely to win. This will be an ALP minority government (good luck with that Albo). I'm cranky I didn't jump on the odds the other day where that outcome was paying $4.00.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Probably have a bit of what happened with Labor. Half the LNP will want to go further right as the solution and half will want to come back to the centre as the solution.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: May 21, 2022, 8:43 pm
Botman wrote: May 21, 2022, 8:33 pm Its pretty much now down to a minority or majority ALP party
Scomo is DUN
Early indicators. LNP cannot win. ALP unlikely to win. This will be an ALP minority government (good luck with that Albo). I'm cranky I didn't jump on the odds the other day where that outcome was paying $4.00.
Minority government could be bad news long term for ALP... you dont have to try to conjure a scenario where managing a minority government renders the ALP and Albanese largely ineffective and they get wiped in 3 years time to such an extent that it's a two term back bench situation.

i hope they can form a majority so they can get on with things.
Personally pulling for David Pocock to snag the senate seat over Zed here in Canberra. That's where my vote went. He's got a pretty solid policy platform.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:
Scomo is DUN
I got on Labor minority at $3.75
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Nickman's gone quiet out there. You alright old friend?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Labor over the quota, Pocock ahead of the Liberals for the second ACT Senate seat atm.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I got on old mate Dave at $2.00 as well.

I'm better at betting on politics than football Image
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Peter Costello’s former seat of Higgins gone to Labor.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

8.4 per cent swing to Labor in Western Australia, so far.

Antony Green on ABC TV saying LNP Government is defeated.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

The Politics Thread 2022

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:Nickman's gone quiet out there. You alright old friend?
Me? I’m fine, I’ve been watching Billions, so haven’t actually watched anything to do with the election aside from the betting odds

Like I said, if the country votes Labor in that means they overwhelmingly want change. That’s a good thing

I would’ve personally preferred the Libs to win, but it doesn’t bother me too much, I certainly won’t be kicking stones over it

I like our electoral system, I think it’s very good and works very well. Today is another example of that

Like Nicko I hope the ALP gets a majority government so they can actually do something. Otherwise we’ll be staring down the barrel of another three year **** storm
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ryan gone to the Greens in Brisbane. That was a blue ribbon Liberal seat, where I lived as a youngster. That’s incredible. Goldstein gone.

ABC TV saying Labor has picked up seven Liberal seats.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

7 News declaring a Labor win.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

9 News declaring Labor will form government.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ABC TV has Labor at 71 seats.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Zed has pulled ahead
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: May 21, 2022, 9:43 pm Zed has pulled ahead Image
For me this election is now down to hoping ALP can muster a majority and Pocock can oust Zed.
That's it.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

WA have handed it to Albo

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Labor wins Swan, Hasluck and Pearce in Western Australia. Could win Moore.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Well Sportsbet just paid out my labor bet, sounds like a done deal!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: May 21, 2022, 9:43 pm Zed has pulled ahead Image
For me this election is now down to hoping ALP can muster a majority and Pocock can oust Zed.
That's it.
Still hoping Dutton goes. I think Kenneally is cooked.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

10 News calls Labor win. ABC TV has Labor at 72 seats.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Our new PM's party will end up with about 30% of the vote.