The Politics Thread 2022

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: The Politics Thread 2022

Post by T_R »

So Vote Compass tells me that I am in lock-step with Labor socially, and with the LNP economically.

I claim the sensible middle ground.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

This is where i came on the scale of things
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I was more progressive than the ALP and slightly to the left of the LNP on the economic scale. I wonder about the terms when they suggest the Greens are the extreme of the "progressive" scale.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

One Nation and Palmer United must be off the charts

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: April 14, 2022, 1:30 pm This is where i came on the scale of things

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I seem to heading more towards Greens the older I get. Last time I was bang on matching Labor
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote: April 14, 2022, 12:17 pm So Vote Compass tells me that I am in lock-step with Labor socially, and with the LNP economically.

Written and authorised by T_R for the Sensible Party.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
T_R wrote: April 14, 2022, 12:17 pm So Vote Compass tells me that I am in lock-step with Labor socially, and with the LNP economically.

top end of town

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: April 14, 2022, 3:46 pm
Botman wrote: April 14, 2022, 1:30 pm This is where i came on the scale of things
:lol: :lol:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

bonehead wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

top end of town

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
The Clive Palmer of middle class suburbia

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Don’t you have a Noosa border court case to prosecute?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Image
I seem to heading more towards Greens the older I get. Last time I was bang on matching Labor
Looks like you and I should start a party Fui
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Scott Morrison just called the press pack Mr Speaker 3 times in a press conferences.

I am looking forward to a week long media onslaught about this "gaffe" and some analysis about his cognitive state and whether a bloke who doesn't know where he is can be trusted to run the country.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

https://www.news.com.au/national/federa ... 34cb51c2b3

**** Australia.

Albanese’s error was bad, but it pales in comparison to the LNP Bull.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote: April 18, 2022, 8:57 pm https://www.news.com.au/national/federa ... 34cb51c2b3

**** Australia.

Albanese’s error was bad, but it pales in comparison to the LNP Bull.
It must be genuinely a burden to go through life considering yourself superior to those around you.

You're not more enlightened than the others, gangrenous old boy, you just have different opinions.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

So you disagree?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

With what? The '**** Australia' bit? Yeah, I do.

In so far as trying to find your moral guidance from either party, I think you're doomed to be disappointed. In an election between Scomo and Albo, I can't see much more than a crashing indictment on the state of politics in this country.

What I do believe in, still, is the collective wisdom of the majority. Australia gets it wrong, but not often. We are in a ghastly era of politics and are not well served by those in the House, but the system? I think the system holds up.

But I don't go through life feeling superior to the the hoi polloi, so perhaps we have a different perspective.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I think the censorship has caused some issues there. I wrote the less polite version of “for goodness’ sake Australia”.

I’m not taking my moral guidance from politics. Nor am I pro-Labor. I’m pro inanimate carbon rod in an election against ScoMo because in my view he’s an awful leader and yes I disagree strongly with what the LNP stands for at this point.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

gangrenous wrote: April 18, 2022, 9:47 pm I think the censorship has caused some issues there. I wrote the less polite version of “for goodness’ sake Australia”.

I’m not taking my moral guidance from politics. Nor am I pro-Labor. I’m pro inanimate carbon rod in an election against ScoMo because in my view he’s an awful leader and yes I disagree strongly with what the LNP stands for at this point.
And I've clearly had a glass of wine too many and my tone was rude. I do apologise.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Newspoll out now, no change after the first week. Weekend polling. Labor 53 percent LNP 47 two party preferred.

All that media hullabaloo and… that’s the result. After the performance of this government and Prime Minister… I’ve made my mind up already. Won’t change.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

greeneyed wrote: April 18, 2022, 10:12 pm Newspoll out now, no change after the first week. Weekend polling. Labor 53 percent LNP 47 two party preferred.

All that media hullabaloo and… that’s the result. After the performance of this government and Prime Minister… I’ve made my mind up already. Won’t change.
Looks like Albaneses approval has taken a decent whack.

Just doesn’t appear to have translated to people thinking the LNP should be returned.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 18, 2022, 10:54 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 18, 2022, 10:12 pm Newspoll out now, no change after the first week. Weekend polling. Labor 53 percent LNP 47 two party preferred.

Looks like Albaneses approval has taken a decent whack.

Just doesn’t appear to have translated to people thinking the LNP should be returned.
If you read news.com.au that’s the headline… personal approval rating. They have actual polling numbers and they’re still giving a story on bookies odds more prominence. It is being spun a certain way in some outlets.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:
Yep, and the LNP have 5 more weeks to establish more doubt about the unknown than there is contempt for the known. And that's what passes for an election campaign in Australia.

And no offence, GE, but I don't think they'll be focussing their efforts on retired public servants.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

if the ALP and Albanese **** this up, they really should wind up the party, and start again with something new.
This should not be a winnable election for the LNP and Scott Morrison given what he has been like as a leader and the fiasco's that have dogged the LNP this last term... and yet here we are, 5 weeks out from election day and it feels like it's edging closer to a genuine coin toss election.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:if the ALP and Albanese **** this up, they really should wind up the party, and start again with something new.
This should not be a winnable election for the LNP and Scott Morrison given what he has been like as a leader and the fiasco's that have dogged the LNP this last term... and yet here we are, 5 weeks out from election day and it feels like it's edging closer to a genuine coin toss election.
Agree with you on this Bot.

Too many Union hacks clogging up Labor party membership and having too much control.

I’d love an element of Labor that was connected to and representing small business. Why should Tradies and small business people be so supportive of the Coalition when their business policies consistently help big businesses and corporations not the little guy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: April 19, 2022, 5:46 am
greeneyed wrote:
Yep, and the LNP have 5 more weeks to establish more doubt about the unknown than there is contempt for the known. And that's what passes for an election campaign in Australia.

And no offence, GE, but I don't think they'll be focussing their efforts on retired public servants.

Yes, because retired public servants are now certainly worthless to society, if they weren't before...
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

greeneyed wrote: April 19, 2022, 1:44 pm
greeneyed wrote:

Yes, because retired public servants are now certainly worthless to society, if they weren't before...
I think what is being alluded to is the “narrowcasting” political parties engage in to win elections.

There is nothing for LNP in Canberra vote wise. Much like there is nothing for progressive parties in large parts of rural Australia.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 19, 2022, 2:30 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 19, 2022, 1:44 pm
greeneyed wrote:

I think what is being alluded to is the “narrowcasting” political parties engage in to win elections.

There is nothing for LNP in Canberra vote wise. Much like there is nothing for progressive parties in large parts of rural Australia.
I guess what I'm alluding to is that Labor had policies which led retirees not to trust them in the last election. I voted accordingly. This time around I'm voting on the basis of the horrible treatment of older people by the current government during the pandemic... that, and a whole lot of massive public policy failures, and the untrustworthiness and incompetence of their leadership, of a dimension I've never seen before.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

That's a hell of a take Image

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote: April 19, 2022, 3:27 pm
greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Comes from a lifetime of hearing it...
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:
T_R wrote: April 19, 2022, 3:27 pm
greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Comes from a lifetime of hearing it...
Well, not in this case. I think the LNP efforts will be all about harvesting the lowest hanging fruit.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Grahame Morris just had himself quite an appearence on The Project. Might have single handedly clawed back some points for ALP with that embarrassing display
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: April 19, 2022, 7:19 pm Grahame Morris just had himself quite an appearence on The Project. Might have single handedly clawed back some points for ALP with that embarrassing display
I just watched. That was just awful - he honestly looked like a slightly-overplayed character from a comedy show.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He might as well have been drawn in pencil'
Perfect caricature of an old conservative **** bag.

I swear my wife and i were hooting and howling at how terrible it was.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Albo has the rona.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock: