Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: The Politics Thread 2022

Post by Botman »

Well... this was quite a day in the world
The sitiation in Ukraine is going to be a very ugly scene for quite some time... and lets hope China dont decide that with the west trying to figure out what to do about it, now is the time to have a little nibble at Taiwan

Could be headed for a very grim period of world history.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Botman wrote: February 24, 2022, 7:05 pm Well... this was quite a day in the world
The sitiation in Ukraine is going to be a very ugly scene for quite some time... and lets hope China dont decide that with the west trying to figure out what to do about it, now is the time to have a little nibble at Taiwan

I'm pushing for Japan to take back Sakhalin while Putin's back's turned.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: February 24, 2022, 7:40 pm
Botman wrote: February 24, 2022, 7:05 pm Well... this was quite a day in the world

I'm pushing for Japan to take back Sakhalin while Putin's back's turned.
:lol: Wouldnt that be something!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

And bang - another 6 weeks of great powder each side of the ski season, just like that!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

hey look if invading your neighbours is a goer then we might as well take NZ on

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Our tactician would be Scomo. Pretty sure we’d lose.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Kiwis aren't too bad though. If Australia is going to divide and conquer anywhere we should start with Queensland. But where do we ship them all off to - maybe WA?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: February 24, 2022, 9:06 pm hey look if invading your neighbours is a goer then we might as well take NZ on

Let’s start small.

I’m thinking Tassie.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: February 24, 2022, 9:06 pm hey look if invading your neighbours is a goer then we might as well take NZ on

They've been steadily invading Australia for 30 years.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I must say I am shocked and appalled at the brazenness of this invasion and the complete disregard for the international rules based order that has been developed since the end of WW2.

I honestly thought that whilst there would be military action of some description, the mobilisation in Belarus and along the northern border was more just to spook Ukraine; and any military action would be consigned to the already contested Donbas.

But we literally have fighting in Kyiv.

This is all completely tragic and all based on the whims of one madman’s ego and his deluded vision for a Greater, imperialist Russia.
Up The Milk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah its pretty awful

Reports out of Ukraine now are that they've banned men aged between 18-60 from leaving the country, there will be a mandatory conscription of troops and they've handed over 10,000 rifles to civilians around Kyiv to defend the capital

Which feels like something the Russians could use as an excuse to just gun down anything they see (which they may have done anyways)... it's going to be a very bloody and sad affair. The sanctions that are about to drop are going to make things very difficult for the Russian people too, and we're already seeing some protesting of this from their own people... just a tremendously tragic situation and one that should not be happening. Putin lust for more is going to exact a heavy toll on the world.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Mickey_Raider wrote: February 25, 2022, 8:40 am I must say I am shocked and appalled at the brazenness of this invasion and the complete disregard for the international rules based order that has been developed since the end of WW2.

I honestly thought that whilst there would be military action of some description, the mobilisation in Belarus and along the northern border was more just to spook Ukraine; and any military action would be consigned to the already contested Donbas.

But we literally have fighting in Kyiv.

This is all completely tragic and all based on the whims of one madman’s ego and his deluded vision for a Greater, imperialist Russia.
With you 100% on that. I thought it was going to be nothing more than typical sabre rattling. Did not expect events of the past couple of days to occur. Putin has immediately become a modern day Hitler.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The Klitschko brothers have taken up arms to defend Ukraine.

Game over..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-PJ- wrote: February 25, 2022, 3:21 pm The Klitschko brothers have taken up arms to defend Ukraine.

Game over..
some of the stories of defiances and risilence shown by the Ukrainians is wonderful

the poor souls on Snake Island who told the Russians to go **** themselves and laid their life down to do what little could be done
reports of some dude in Kyiv giving out free pizza to anyone who shows up armed ready to fight for Ukraine
the Ghost of Kyiv, which is almost certainly either propaganda, or just people combining multiple pilots into a single being... but the story of some ace ukranian pilot cutting through the skies and downing 6 russian planes on his own... i mean im ready to watch that **** at a cinena today!

Reports are pretty consistent from experts that whilst Russia is obviously making fairly strong advances, the Ukranians are not going down without a fight and the Russians would be surprised by the level of resistence shown
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

The Politics Thread 2022

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Anonymous are involved now, declaring a cyber war against Russia and disabling their state news site.

Let’s see what they can get up to.

Meanwhile, what’s the world coming to when the Taliban’s telling you to chill
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2022/02/ ... ful-means/
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Watching the TV coverage, I feel sick to the pit of my stomach. I understand why the world is standing back… but then I don’t understand it. It’s an awful conundrum.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2022

Post by gangrenous »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Anonymous are involved now, declaring a cyber war against Russia and disabling their state news site.

Hope they replaced it with the Ukrainian leader’s speech. Damn if that wasn’t a **** amazing show of leadership. If you haven’t seen it, check it out. It’s targeted at the Russian people.
Last edited by gangrenous on February 26, 2022, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:Watching the TV coverage, I feel sick to the pit of my stomach. I understand why the world is standing back… but then I don’t understand it. It’s an awful conundrum.
Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Real **** situation…

Wonder what happens in a world where Putin is removed? Next guy in line as crazy or crazier?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Ukraine will need help. As admirable as their courage and stoicism has been, they are just no match for the sheer size of the Russian military.

And Putin will not back down.

I fear this is about to get worse.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I know 2/5ths of precisely nothing of the political situation.

But I think Ukraine is gone. Other countries won’t want to trigger WW3 just on Ukraine. If Russia set foot beyond Ukraine that seems like that triggers WW3.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I think you're right to a point, gangers. Britain and France did nothing while Hitler did precisely the same thing: reclaiming what he thought was rightfully German land.
The US public did not want to enter a war.

The lesson we learned from that is appeasement makes the aggressor more aggressive.

Putin can read the room. He knows he can withstand so called sanctions. His country is resource rich and Germany is heavily reliant upon Russia for energy.
I read today NATO is ready to assist Ukraine. I'm just not sure to what extent.
If Russia is successful, it's a matter if time before they 'reclaim' further land. Maybe Georgia.

In the meantime you have China watching with great interest. We all know they want Taiwan.

Either Russia somehow completely stuff this up like they did with Afghanistan years ago (highly unlikely) or they continue to thumb their noses at world leaders.
Biden stuffed up the US retreat from Afghanistan, which I think only encouraged Putin to make this move
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

dubby wrote: Biden stuffed up the US retreat from Afghanistan, which I think only encouraged Putin to make this move
You should really give up reading/watching right wing Bull sources. It’s not good for you.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

China be like whilst they be busy, lets whip up another crippling disease.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

gangrenous wrote: February 26, 2022, 8:24 am
dubby wrote: Biden stuffed up the US retreat from Afghanistan, which I think only encouraged Putin to make this move
You should really give up reading/watching right wing Bull sources. It’s not good for you.
Come on gangers. Let's not go there.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m asking you not to go there. You’re being drip fed Bull day after day and it infects your opinions on climate change, covid, people of colour.

You should go somewhere else for your info that isn’t just full to the brim with propaganda and lies.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

dubby wrote: February 26, 2022, 8:41 am
gangrenous wrote: February 26, 2022, 8:24 am
Come on gangers. Let's not go there.
To be fair G the withdrawal has generally been regarded as at best messy and at worst a failure.

But I don’t think the withdrawal itself played much of a hand in prompting the invasion.

I’d say 20 years of grinding, fruitless occupation in Afghanistan can comfortably lay claim to being the primary attributing factor as to the lack of appetite for more war in the US; which as a by-product would have emboldened Putin.

And ultimately it is lazy partisan nonsense to try and blame this one on Biden.
Up The Milk
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Wow gangagang has his knickers in a knot today.

This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Politics Thread 2022

gangrenous wrote:I know 2/5ths of precisely nothing of the political situation.

But I think Ukraine is gone. Other countries won’t want to trigger WW3 just on Ukraine. If Russia set foot beyond Ukraine that seems like that triggers WW3.
There’s videos floating around now of Russian ships destroying Japanese merchant ships now. If they keep that up, there won’t be much choice but to get involved.

F1 have now canned the Russian GP. Mazepin will likely lose his seat because his dad’s funding his seat and is an Oligarch. Eurovision have said Russia won’t be competing. **** have put a block on Russian users, posting a message of support for Ukraine. Restrictions are getting real.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

If china get involved, im enlisting.

This place is woke.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gangrenous wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Anonymous are involved now, declaring a cyber war against Russia and disabling their state news site.

Hope they replaced it with the Ukrainian leader’s speech. Damn if that wasn’t a **** amazing show of leadership. If you haven’t seen it, check it out. It’s targeted at the Russian people.
They’ve leaked the database of the Russian Ministry of Defence

https://cybernews.com/news/anonymous-le ... f-defence/

Nickman's love of NSW
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Question wrote: February 26, 2022, 10:54 am Wow gangagang has his knickers in a knot today.

Its unlike him to make ad hominem comments.
Out of respect for a genuinely good guy, I'm walking away

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m sorry you interpret that as an ad hominem. It’s not intended as one - it’s genuinely that I think your life would be better if you got your information from sources that don’t treat you like garbage.

For Lent this year give it a go. Get your news from the ABC for a month and give the other stuff a miss.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

dubby wrote:
Question wrote: February 26, 2022, 10:54 am Wow gangagang has his knickers in a knot today.

Its unlike him to make ad hominem comments.
Out of respect for a genuinely good guy, I'm walking away
Ad hominem, is that when you make comments about the quality of your mothers spaghetti?

Nickman's love of NSW
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Gangers, all media is leaning one way or another. Some are just less discreet about it.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I tend to agree with Dubby's view that Putin seems unlikely to be satisified with Ukraine... and if he takes Ukraine unopposed, be it in 5 years or 10 or 20, it'll be Russian funded separatist groups in Moldova that provide the pretext for them to march on into there. Or where ever else interests them... though i suspect it wont be a NATO member since that's basically a declaration of WW3... but Putin's a pretty crazy dude, and if he's got some support from places like China, North Korea, Syria... who **** knows man

Sadly for the Ukraine, any boots on the ground to help them from allied nations is assuredly the start of WW3 and i dont think anyone has the appetite for that unless it's absolutely necassary. And so sadly Ukraine and it's people will be the sacrificial lambs to buy the world more time in hopes of avoiding WW3.