Making NRL player salaries public

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Making NRL player salaries public

Post by Matt »

This is an older article, apparently, but I missed it at the time. Glad it's finally being discussed though.

Christian Welch reveals NRL salary, saying he’d be happy for all players’ wages to be public: https://www.codesports.com.au/nrl/chris ... 305dc06ae6
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Making salaries public

Post by Rick »

The next cap rise from the NRL should come with a condition that players wages will be public. Players association don’t want this to occur but everything has a price.

I think the NRL can generate a lot of interest from this and it will be worth them throwing more money at the players to make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Should have happened a long time ago.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Rick wrote: March 9, 2022, 10:28 pm The next cap rise from the NRL should come with a condition that players wages will be public. Players association don’t want this to occur but everything has a price.

I think the NRL can generate a lot of interest from this and it will be worth them throwing more money at the players to make it happen.

Agree. Players to get more money and in return the fans get more transparency. If not for the fans then these guys are playing for a pie and a Coke.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Cameron “multiple contracts” Smith has come out rubbishing the idea saying no other people have their salaries made public so why should NRL players. Not really sure if he thought that one through, just about everyone’s salary is public or available to make a very accurate guess.

His only other argument was that this would lead to player issues with high paid players, who are not performing, being targeted by fans and media. Sorry Cameron this already occurs and making wages public could actually help fix the the issue.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Just how out of the loop is Cam Smith thinking no one else’s salary is published.

Wonder what every award wage worker, teacher, nurse and public servant think of that claim.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Making NRL player salaries public

Post by Botman »

Only just saw this, and im preaching to the choir here i feel but

https://www.spotrac.com/
On this site alone i can find salaries and contract details for Tom Brady, LeBron James, Mike Trout, Sidney Crosby, Cristiano Ronaldo
Our local RL lads are more important/special than these dudes? I dont think so.

As for Australia, plenty of precedent for salaries to be known if it is in the public interest to do so

https://www.cmtedd.act.gov.au/employmen ... agreements
Here i can find the wages of every public servant in the ACT, this is available at state and federal level across all jurisdictions. As stated above, this includes teachers, nurses, doctors, fire fighters, police officers, ambulances, politicians etc... all who are more important than footballers and none of which give the faintest **** that their salaries are so easily found.

Stock exchange listed companies have to announce the appointment of any new CEO and/or Managing director and the key terms and conditions of the appointment including remuneration.

And is there public interest? Yes, i think most fans want this. But further more, these sports are partially funded by government money and grants. Infrastructure is built for these teams/organisations. Many hundreds of millions are spent on them. The ACT GOV have arrangements with the Raiders, they pay them in part to play and represent this community and to provide a service for this community. The ACT public deserve to know if the club is being managed properly and if juice worth the squeeze, one of the major factors in knowing this is how the roster is managed. Cant know how well the roster is being managed or mismanaged unless we have salary transparency.

In short, this should have happened a long time ago, it should have been one of the things that came out of the Bulldogs/storm/warriors salary cap fiascos. Greater transparency on salaries, which means more scrutiny from the media and fans when something doesn't add up and more importantly, it takes power away from agents and allows the players to VERY CLEARLY and easily know their value.