Recruitment and retention

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Recruitment and retention

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Our recruitment and retention in the last few years hasn't been good enough.

We have an issue coming up with some of the older players that we resigned, who are on the decline but still so many years left on their contract and on good money. Whitehead is resigned to 2024 but lacks the fitness and impact for FG. He's definitely not captaincy material. Smiling and laughing with Jack after that loss doesn't present a good image.

We've discussed Croker at length so no need to here. CNK is signed to 2023 as well. He had a good 2019 and 2020 though.

It was a waste of money resigning Sammy Williams and Frawley. They were resigned for days like today v Cowboys, but can't fill in and play at an adequate level. Ash Taylor, Adam Clune and Sean O'Sullivan were also available on minimum wage and better than those two.

On recruitment, the signing of Adam Elliott was uninspiring, and he hasn't changed the minds of 98% of GH forum members. The year before that, Ryan James was hardly a success and we terminated his deal one year early with us most likely paying freight to the Broncos.

Curtis Scott was a waste of space. Lucky he was a stupid idiot or we would have had a problem in the coming years. Caleb Aekins was also a plodder - no wonder Panthers were willing to let him go. Bailey Simonsson joining from NZ sevens wasn't a success. We paid freight to see him go.

The Poms - Bateman and Williams were good players but terminated their deals early, and we paid large transfer fees to get them over here in the first place.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Recruitment and retention

Post by BadnMean »

Bateman and Williams were good players- Bateman was a great get who proved the recruiters knew more than 95% of GH members. A unique worldwide pandemic changed the dynamics of the trip for them + some poor management advice. I don't see those two as a recruiting fail at all. Plenty of posters had GWilly as our best half since Ricky and he'd barely even settled in.

We have a bit of an over-reliance on random bargain bin grabs. These are the James, CHN, Elliots. Of the 3 only CHN seemed a really good solution at the time, to a known recruiting issue (edge for JB) and he's worked out the best.

Scott was a dud bloke and his football was sure to fall apart as his life did. Not sure if Stuart thought he could fix him or if Bellamy lied through his teeth about what he knew about Scott.

It's the resigning over the hill veterans to inflated contracts that is the issue and is going to continue to be an issue due to the length of those contracts. It's a bit of the "jobs for the boys" style that exists in the club from the top down. We might just wriggle out of Croker but it was a dumb deal.

Whitehead hopefully won't be as obviously dud but carries risks. If they are structured so their final year is only 250/300k and we can genuinely park them in reggies and tell them to help the kids there to earn thair $$ that's not so bad. But if it's a 500k cap hit then not good business. I think Whitehead can be a decent lock for a couple of years at least though. He relies as much on smarts and skill and those aren't about to disappear. As Mooney comes up Whitehead might benefit from only having to play 40 mins per game.

The CNK deal is ok by me. He's being paid $350k per year. Which is bargain basement for a FB (reflective of his limitations there) and also a fair salary for a FG centre should we need to shift him out there. It's a decent deal as even if he says no I'm a FB or bust or we can't fit him into centres, $350k is a tolerable cap hit to sit out or play reserves.

We seem to have lost the ambition that was there to sign big name stars though - I'd like to see that return. Go for some genuine top talent when Hodgo/Croker clear off the books. We were within inches of landing Teddy at the time and the club is in a MUCH stronger position now. I think we need to be bold enough to revisit that kind if tentpole signing again.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Getting rid of Bateman was dumb decision. We’ve lacked a killer instinct since.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Riaan wrote: March 20, 2022, 6:27 pm Getting rid of Bateman was dumb decision. We’ve lacked a killer instinct since.
There was quite a lot going on there for both club and player (not to mention manager)... and i completely agree about what he gave this club and what we're missing without him... it's hard to pin that one on the club. We certainly didnt "get rid of him".
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Riaan wrote: March 20, 2022, 6:27 pm Getting rid of Bateman was dumb decision. We’ve lacked a killer instinct since.
In what universe was retaining him an option?
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Botman wrote: March 20, 2022, 6:31 pm
There was quite a lot going on there for both club and player (not to mention manager)... and i completely agree about what he gave this club and what we're missing without him... it's hard to pin that one on the club. We certainly didnt "get rid of him".
If the club really wanted to keep him they would have.
I would quite happily have him as our highest paid forward, including Papalii.
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Post by daley6 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 19, 2022, 11:06 pm Our recruitment and retention in the last few years hasn't been good enough.

We have an issue coming up with some of the older players that we resigned, who are on the decline but still so many years left on their contract and on good money. Whitehead is resigned to 2024 but lacks the fitness and impact for FG. He's definitely not captaincy material. Smiling and laughing with Jack after that loss doesn't present a good image.

We've discussed Croker at length so no need to here. CNK is signed to 2023 as well. He had a good 2019 and 2020 though.

It was a waste of money resigning Sammy Williams and Frawley. They were resigned for days like today v Cowboys, but can't fill in and play at an adequate level. Ash Taylor, Adam Clune and Sean O'Sullivan were also available on minimum wage and better than those two.

On recruitment, the signing of Adam Elliott was uninspiring, and he hasn't changed the minds of 98% of GH forum members. The year before that, Ryan James was hardly a success and we terminated his deal one year early with us most likely paying freight to the Broncos.

Curtis Scott was a waste of space. Lucky he was a stupid idiot or we would have had a problem in the coming years. Caleb Aekins was also a plodder - no wonder Panthers were willing to let him go. Bailey Simonsson joining from NZ sevens wasn't a success. We paid freight to see him go.

The Poms - Bateman and Williams were good players but terminated their deals early, and we paid large transfer fees to get them over here in the first place.
The recruitment and retention has been spot on josh hodgson
RTW
David Furner

Post by RTW »

BadnMean wrote:Bateman and Williams were good players- Bateman was a great get who proved the recruiters knew more than 95% of GH members. A unique worldwide pandemic changed the dynamics of the trip for them + some poor management advice. I don't see those two as a recruiting fail at all. Plenty of posters had GWilly as our best half since Ricky and he'd barely even settled in.

We have a bit of an over-reliance on random bargain bin grabs. These are the James, CHN, Elliots. Of the 3 only CHN seemed a really good solution at the time, to a known recruiting issue (edge for JB) and he's worked out the best.

Scott was a dud bloke and his football was sure to fall apart as his life did. Not sure if Stuart thought he could fix him or if Bellamy lied through his teeth about what he knew about Scott.

It's the resigning over the hill veterans to inflated contracts that is the issue and is going to continue to be an issue due to the length of those contracts. It's a bit of the "jobs for the boys" style that exists in the club from the top down. We might just wriggle out of Croker but it was a dumb deal.

Whitehead hopefully won't be as obviously dud but carries risks. If they are structured so their final year is only 250/300k and we can genuinely park them in reggies and tell them to help the kids there to earn thair $$ that's not so bad. But if it's a 500k cap hit then not good business. I think Whitehead can be a decent lock for a couple of years at least though. He relies as much on smarts and skill and those aren't about to disappear. As Mooney comes up Whitehead might benefit from only having to play 40 mins per game.

The CNK deal is ok by me. He's being paid $350k per year. Which is bargain basement for a FB (reflective of his limitations there) and also a fair salary for a FG centre should we need to shift him out there. It's a decent deal as even if he says no I'm a FB or bust or we can't fit him into centres, $350k is a tolerable cap hit to sit out or play reserves.

We seem to have lost the ambition that was there to sign big name stars though - I'd like to see that return. Go for some genuine top talent when Hodgo/Croker clear off the books. We were within inches of landing Teddy at the time and the club is in a MUCH stronger position now. I think we need to be bold enough to revisit that kind if tentpole signing again.
/thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Green Blogger wrote:
If the club paid $800k a season then he would have stayed. No doubt about that

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I stand by the recruitment of this club being absolutely sensational for a good 5 years or so, starting with the likes of Soliola and Austin culminating in a grand final loss.

And it has been absolutely horse **** since the day they started sniffing around Curtis Scott as a replacement for Leilua. Not only was he an absolute flog but he was always an absolute dud of a player. It's all been downhill from there.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

julian87 wrote: March 22, 2022, 6:24 am I stand by the recruitment of this club being absolutely sensational for a good 5 years or so, starting with the likes of Soliola and Austin culminating in a grand final loss.

And it has been absolutely horse **** since the day they started sniffing around Curtis Scott as a replacement for Leilua. Not only was he an absolute flog but he was always an absolute dud of a player. It's all been downhill from there.
This!!!

It’s obvious.. the sad thing is the greatest strength of Ricky was his recruitment.

His coaching was never great… if he can’t even recruit we are in for a world of pain..
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The guy wanted massive overs to stay.
And he clashed with people behind the scenes
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: March 22, 2022, 6:09 am
Green Blogger wrote:

When you pay anybody massive overs they are likely to stay. Unfortunately the guy became a toxic element at this club. All went down hill when he changed managers.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Green Blogger wrote:

He wanted $900k. But even then he wanted to be with his daughter.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: March 22, 2022, 7:57 am
Green Blogger wrote:

When you pay anybody massive overs they are likely to stay. Unfortunately the guy became a toxic element at this club. All went down hill when he changed managers.
A guy willing to make his power play in GF week... awesome as he was as a player I can see why you wouldn't bend over backwards to retain that player.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BadnMean wrote: March 22, 2022, 9:17 am
Green Blogger wrote:

A guy willing to make his power play in GF week... awesome as he was as a player I can see why you wouldn't bend over backwards to retain that player.
I agree on the sentiment, but he was just so good for us. You can see how we've declined as a club since 2020. You can tell me the hundreds of thousands going to Hodgson, Croker and Whitehead wouldn't have been better spent on retaining Bateman. The problem the club saw was in future years they couldn't afford to pay Bateman his market value.

You see it with the Storm letting Finucane go. There's no room for sentiment if you want to stay on top of the game. We really needed to let one of the three above go to retain a prime JB, I thought at the time we were playing a dangerous game acting so high and mighty after one great season.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 22, 2022, 11:00 am
Green Blogger wrote:

I agree on the sentiment, but he was just so good for us. You can see how we've declined as a club since 2020. You can tell me the hundreds of thousands going to Hodgson, Croker and Whitehead wouldn't have been better spent on retaining Bateman. The problem the club saw was in future years they couldn't afford to pay Bateman his market value.

You see it with the Storm letting Finucane go. There's no room for sentiment if you want to stay on top of the game. We really needed to let one of the three above go to retain a prime JB, I thought at the time we were playing a dangerous game acting so high and mighty after one great season.
But JB only had one great season as well, and then started acting all high and mighty and didn't really deliver anything in 2020 to justify his demands for a higher wage.

He was great for culture in 2019 but arguments that somehow retaining him would have been the panacea that would mean we are in a different position now are pretty hard for me to agree with based on one outstanding season.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Azza wrote: March 22, 2022, 11:10 am

But JB only had one great season as well, and then started acting all high and mighty and didn't really deliver anything in 2020 to justify his demands for a higher wage.

He was great for culture in 2019 but arguments that somehow retaining him would have been the panacea that would mean we are in a different position now are pretty hard for me to agree with based on one outstanding season.
Yup accept there are many unknowns. Seems he has hardly set the world on fire since returning to ESL too. Much easier to say in hindsight but the gamble on signing veterans Croker and EW to big money longterm deals hasn't paid off. Those were always pretty high risk deals though - I think we all cringed a bit when Croker got given big money at this stage of his career.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 22, 2022, 11:52 am
Azza wrote: March 22, 2022, 11:10 am

Yup accept there are many unknowns. Seems he has hardly set the world on fire since returning to ESL too. Much easier to say in hindsight but the gamble on signing veterans Croker and EW to big money longterm deals hasn't paid off. Those were always pretty high risk deals though - I think we all cringed a bit when Croker got given big money at this stage of his career.
Disagree - I cringed a lot
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Bateman signed a contract then reneged on it because he wanted more money. The club offered more money and it still wasn't good enough. Lets not start painting a different picture to reality.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Northern Raider wrote: March 22, 2022, 12:26 pm Bateman signed a contract then reneged on it because he wanted more money. The club offered more money and it still wasn't good enough. Lets not start painting a different picture to reality.
He was performing at a premium level and wanted premium money. I'm certainly not saying he went about it in a good manner, but you have to look at where we are now vs where we were two years ago and question the decision making. We managed two great seasons and now we're straight back into a rebuild with a couple of albatross contracts to get off the books. Whitehead was another early extension last year which is looking like a really poor (but easy) call. He's somehow on the books until the end of 2024 when he'll be turning 35. I love what he has brought to the club, but he's already slowing down considerably.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 22, 2022, 1:21 pm
Northern Raider wrote: March 22, 2022, 12:26 pm Bateman signed a contract then reneged on it because he wanted more money. The club offered more money and it still wasn't good enough. Lets not start painting a different picture to reality.
He was performing at a premium level and wanted premium money. I'm certainly not saying he went about it in a good manner, but you have to look at where we are now vs where we were two years ago and question the decision making. We managed two great seasons and now we're straight back into a rebuild with a couple of albatross contracts to get off the books. Whitehead was another early extension last year which is looking like a really poor (but easy) call. He's somehow on the books until the end of 2024 when he'll be turning 35. I love what he has brought to the club, but he's already slowing down considerably.
He signed a multi year deal, performed at a premium level for the first year then tried to get out of the rest of it. Players always agitate for more money if they play above the level of their contract. Yet to see one offer to reduce their money when they don't play to the level they are paid for. Guys like Ash Taylor, Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford all got their million dollar deals paid in full.
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

Bateman was the difference. But, since he left us hasn’t he underperformed at Wigan with shoulder issues?

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Northern Raider wrote:Bateman signed a contract then reneged on it because he wanted more money. The club offered more money and it still wasn't good enough. Lets not start painting a different picture to reality.
Spot on. A lot of this is at the feet of Bateman’s player manager too.

The Raiders have proved to be a bit too fair on contract upgrades for a while now.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Signing Croker and EW into long term deals while they were at the back end of their careers and not a priority target for any other club was a fine example of our poor retention strategy
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Robert the Bruce wrote: March 22, 2022, 1:59 pm Bateman was the difference. But, since he left us hasn’t he underperformed at Wigan with shoulder issues?

Underperformed is putting it nicely. He’s pretty much a passenger
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

BJ wrote: March 22, 2022, 2:10 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Bateman signed a contract then reneged on it because he wanted more money. The club offered more money and it still wasn't good enough. Lets not start painting a different picture to reality.

The Raiders have proved to be a bit too fair on contract upgrades for a while now.
I bet the player manager lost a whole lot of sleep over it...
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
BJ wrote: March 22, 2022, 2:10 pm

I bet the player manager lost a whole lot of sleep over it...
Correct Roger Image. The manager had so much cash stashed under his mattress it was very difficult to get a comfy sleep.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

dubby wrote: March 22, 2022, 7:51 am
The great players always do. Wanting to be paid your worth is a sign of strength not weakness. **** Whitehead and JC, ask yourself how much of the cap guys like whighton, papalii and taipane take up, all three have been pretty much in and out of top form for 2 years
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Riaan wrote: March 22, 2022, 6:26 pm
dubby wrote: March 22, 2022, 7:51 am
The great players always do. Wanting to be paid your worth is a sign of strength not weakness. **** Whitehead and JC, ask yourself how much of the cap guys like whighton, papalii and taipane take up, all three have been pretty much in and out of top form for 2 years
And if the Raiders had done it, we’d be overpaying a player who is now, by all reports, cactus.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

For a player who spent such a little time here and whose departure was so drama filled and controversial, John Bateman being very firmly in my top 10, maybe top 5 faviourite raiders of all time speaks to how much his game and his attitude resonated with me.
I loved every minute of cheering for him and i miss seeing him in our team.

My thoughts on his departure and the circumstances around it are well covered, but man i miss cheering for him.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2022, 7:14 pm For a player who spent such a little time here and whose departure was so drama filled and controversial, John Bateman being very firmly in my top 10, maybe top 5 faviourite raiders of all time speaks to how much his game and his attitude resonated with me.

My thoughts on his departure and the circumstances around it are well covered, but man i miss cheering for him.
Would I be far off in saying that you see a bit of yourself in him, Botman? Other than having similar names (Bateman/Botman), I imagine if you were playing you may not be the biggest, fastest, or strongest bloke, but you'd give 100% effort and be running your mouth constantly, sledging anyone and everyone no matter how big or good they were. Getting under their skin and living rent free in their head to put them off their game.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Agree that recruitment post-2019 has been abominable and stands out in contrast to the excellent recruitment of the prior years.

Retention has been a mixed bag.
Bateman - right move
Hodgson - right move
Croker - contract too long
Whitehead - contract too long
BJ - right move despite wrong replacement
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: March 22, 2022, 7:43 pm
Botman wrote: March 22, 2022, 7:14 pm For a player who spent such a little time here and whose departure was so drama filled and controversial, John Bateman being very firmly in my top 10, maybe top 5 faviourite raiders of all time speaks to how much his game and his attitude resonated with me.

Would I be far off in saying that you see a bit of yourself in him, Botman? Other than having similar names (Bateman/Botman), I imagine if you were playing you may not be the biggest, fastest, or strongest bloke, but you'd give 100% effort and be running your mouth constantly, sledging anyone and everyone no matter how big or good they were. Getting under their skin and living rent free in their head to put them off their game.
The username is an entirely different deal that is coincidential but...

:lol: Yes, I think i've spoken about that before on this site,but i dont presume to think you have bothered to read all my posts (no man could!)
In his first year, early against the titans he faked throwing the in a titans players face, who flinched and then he laughing in their face and it was so **** great and must have been so embarrassing... i was done there and then. He was my guy.

So yeah, that's some pretty accruate armchair psychology there. I like to say knee injuries and a crippling lack of talent prevented me from being the next big thing in the NRL. But accepting the gulf in talent disparity... but i loved how he approached the game and the competive nature of it because that's how i tried to be (and failed!)
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I loved Bateman in 2019 too. But it was one season. Not enough to make him a Messiah. Hodgson had a greater impact overa longer period.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk