Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Recruitment and retention

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: April 28, 2022, 8:07 pm
Billy Walker wrote: April 28, 2022, 6:51 pm
RedRaider wrote: April 28, 2022, 5:12 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 28, 2022, 10:04 am
dubby wrote: April 28, 2022, 8:44 am We really need to be looking for an established fullback, a quality centre and a hooker.
And someone who can coach them all.
I'll add a Second Rower
Red - it’s a bit of a sad state of affairs when it could be argued that even if you added the best fullback, centre, hooker and second rower in the comp to this current team it would likely only guarantee you a spot in the 8 but still not give you confidence the other players around them give you any premiership certainty.
Billy, it was only a few years ago we recruited Hodgo, BJ, Bateman and CNK and became a genuine contender. Sadly age, attitude, form and injury have brought that side to its' current state.
Imo we need to give the young blokes a long run in FG so that an assessment can be made to recruit where we have gaps. With the likes of Hodgo and Williams gone next year there will be opportunity to fill some gaps.
Yep I’m all for playing the kids this year to see what we have. Obviously can’t throw them to the wolves and need to ensure there is structure and experience around them but I’m happy to see us take a more aggressive approach to bringing along generation next at the expense of some older players.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

We haven’t adequately covered the losses of BJ, Bateman, G Williams. The age and form regression of Croker, Whitehead, Cotric, CNK adds to their losses. There’s not much coming through the lower grades. We need to rebuild and recruit some moneyball options.

Find the best fullback/halfback/centre/hooker/backrower that’s stuck behind rep players and can’t get a run. Who’s stuck behind Cleary and Luai? Who’s stuck behind Harry Grant and Brandon Smith? Find the best juniors in the Penrith/Storm systems that can’t get a look in.

They may not pay off long term but it’s worth a shot. Austin was stuck behind Anasta at Wests, and was carving up lower grades. Only got a shot there when injury struck. CNK was stuck behind RTS at NZ. Only got a shot when injury struck. These are our targets. We can’t realistically buy a Munster or Haas.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

100% agree Finchy
We shouldnt and realistically can not target the top end, we cant pay them enough to come here

What we can do is offer good money for talented played roadblocked in good teams. I suggested a couple of years ago when i saw CNK was not where the game was headed that we should have gone in on Izack Tago. He was a highly rated fullback and at the time he was behind Edwards, Crichton brothers, Staines, Momovovski, To'o, May, Burton for outside backs

And we should still enquire now! He's a natural fullback having to play centre. History tells us he'll eventually want to move to a more important position. If Savage isnt our fullback of the future, Tago is the type of dart i'd like to throw
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: April 28, 2022, 8:39 pm We haven’t adequately covered the losses of BJ, Bateman, G Williams. The age and form regression of Croker, Whitehead, Cotric, CNK adds to their losses. There’s not much coming through the lower grades. We need to rebuild and recruit some moneyball options.

Find the best fullback/halfback/centre/hooker/backrower that’s stuck behind rep players and can’t get a run. Who’s stuck behind Cleary and Luai? Who’s stuck behind Harry Grant and Brandon Smith? Find the best juniors in the Penrith/Storm systems that can’t get a look in.

They may not pay off long term but it’s worth a shot. Austin was stuck behind Anasta at Wests, and was carving up lower grades. Only got a shot there when injury struck. CNK was stuck behind RTS at NZ. Only got a shot when injury struck. These are our targets. We can’t realistically buy a Munster or Haas.
Yep - but the only thing I’d add is that this approach will have a hit and miss success rate. On this path we need to churn and burn players quickly. Don’t spend 3 years easing someone into first grade only to find they are barely to standard and then persist with them for 3 more years hoping they will turn it around. Fail fast move on and find winners.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote:
Finchy wrote: April 28, 2022, 8:39 pm We haven’t adequately covered the losses of BJ, Bateman, G Williams. The age and form regression of Croker, Whitehead, Cotric, CNK adds to their losses. There’s not much coming through the lower grades. We need to rebuild and recruit some moneyball options.

Yep - but the only thing I’d add is that this approach will have a hit and miss success rate. On this path we need to churn and burn players quickly. Don’t spend 3 years easing someone into first grade only to find they are barely to standard and then persist with them for 3 more years hoping they will turn it around. Fail fast move on and find winners.
So don’t do what they’re currently doing with Semi?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: April 28, 2022, 10:12 pm 100% agree Finchy
We shouldnt and realistically can not target the top end, we cant pay them enough to come here

What we can do is offer good money for talented played roadblocked in good teams. I suggested a couple of years ago when i saw CNK was not where the game was headed that we should have gone in on Izack Tago. He was a highly rated fullback and at the time he was behind Edwards, Crichton brothers, Staines, Momovovski, To'o, May, Burton for outside backs

And we should still enquire now! He's a natural fullback having to play centre. History tells us he'll eventually want to move to a more important position. If Savage isnt our fullback of the future, Tago is the type of dart i'd like to throw
Looks more a centre and second rower than a fullback to me.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2022, 5:55 am
Billy Walker wrote:

Yep and Guler, Starling, Hors, CNK, Kris and half the team. How long will Hoppa stay on the books before we try him and decide he’s likely off the pace? Trevellian looked good - get him in there to see if he is or not. Hola, Maritoa - we have a team full of guys unlikely up to it that we seem to be very slowly working towards first grade.

Semi might surprise a few - I wouldn’t lose sleep if he was cut and never seen again but he is better than some are crediting him and improving week to week.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: April 29, 2022, 7:08 am Looks more a centre and second rower than a fullback to me.
He played mostly fullback coming through the ranks and was electric there. It may be that with the road blocks in place at Penrith that he's bulked up too much to play fullback in his current body shape but i saw enough of him at fullback in lower grades to throw that dart at fullback
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:
julian87 wrote: April 29, 2022, 7:08 am Looks more a centre and second rower than a fullback to me.
He played mostly fullback coming through the ranks and was electric there. It may be that with the road blocks in place at Penrith that he's bulked up too much to play fullback in his current body shape but i saw enough of him at fullback in lower grades to throw that dart at fullback
with the cash they've spent on ramjet and the need to upgrade pay around the squad I'd be throwing darts at that panthers squad

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Billy Walker wrote:

Exactly.

We have this strange and infuriating tendency to quickly lock down "2nd tier" potential talents like Semi, Hors or Kris for 12 years once they show a tiny glimmer of something.

Meanwhile we mishandle the big or more significant ticket items. We could have given Schneider 8-12 games last year and it would have given him a huge leg up this year. Instead we decided to persist with Sammy and Frawley despite the fact the season was a lost cause early on.

Watch us waste this year by shuffling Savage in and out of the team on the wing. And then Ricky will probably put him in at FB next year and we will waste another season while he has teething problems back there.

I can also see us doing the same thing to Trev. No doubt we will see a makeshift hooker like Adam Elliot put in there as we continue our noble quest to make the top 12.
Up The Milk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 29, 2022, 9:01 am
Billy Walker wrote:

Exactly.

We have this strange and infuriating tendency to quickly lock down "2nd tier" potential talents like Semi, Hors or Kris for 12 years once they show a tiny glimmer of something.

Meanwhile we mishandle the big or more significant ticket items. We could have given Schneider 8-12 games last year and it would have given him a huge leg up this year. Instead we decided to persist with Sammy and Frawley despite the fact the season was a lost cause early on.

Watch us waste this year by shuffling Savage in and out of the team on the wing. And then Ricky will probably put him in at FB next year and we will waste another season while he has teething problems back there.

I can also see us doing the same thing to Trev. No doubt we will see a makeshift hooker like Adam Elliot put in there as we continue our noble quest to make the top 12.
Spot on Mickey. The other thing I’d add is we need to establish proper benchmarks for talent. We collect too many stray dogs that put in one or two useful games but in truth aren’t up to it. Guys like CNK, Starling, Cotric, Guler, Hors, Whitehead, Semi all need to be benchmarked against the league and what good looks like. Just because they might be the best option we currently have isn’t reason to persist. Some of those names might stack up ok but a firm ruler needs to be run closely over all of the squad and decisions made with the head not the heart.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I heard earlier in the week that Schuster was promised to play five-eighth but is obviously stuck behind Foran at Manly. If there is a genuine possibility of getting him out of his contract, that would be an excellent play. If the case is he took less for the opportunity to play five-eighth, you could offer him more to play second row until he takes Wighton's 6 jersey or even possibly shift Wighton to second row and play Schuster at 6. Either way, it would strengthen that edge significantly in attack by giving us another ball playing option. There are a number of positions we could use an upgrade in but second row is probably where we're lacking most.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think Schuster’s passing game as a backrower would be amazing. One in from Wighton’s running game as a 5/8th, what a complimentary combination they could become.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BJ wrote: April 29, 2022, 12:12 pm I think Schuster’s passing game as a backrower would be amazing. One in from Wighton’s running game as a 5/8th, what a complimentary combination they could become.
Yep. I do recognise it's a bit of a pipe dream though when it comes to our club. We haven't made any ambitious signings like this in a while.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

It’s crazy to me how far CNK has dropped. Saying he has always been poor is revisionist history. The guy was MOTM in an elimination final against the Roosters in 2020, only 18 months ago. His running metres, tackle busts are way down - is it his neck injury? He seems to have lost weight and strength.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

TongueFTW wrote: April 30, 2022, 8:18 am It’s crazy to me how far CNK has dropped. Saying he has always been poor is revisionist history. The guy was MOTM in an elimination final against the Roosters in 2020, only 18 months ago. His running metres, tackle busts are way down - is it his neck injury? He seems to have lost weight and strength.
One swallow doesn’t make a summer. Teddy, Turbo, and other top shelf fullbacks have won more MOTM awards in big games than CNK has had hot dinners. He turned out some good performances given the God gifted tools he was dealt but in reality he can’t pass, isn’t quick and now seems like he couldn’t catch a cold.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

TongueFTW wrote: April 30, 2022, 8:18 am It’s crazy to me how far CNK has dropped. Saying he has always been poor is revisionist history. The guy was MOTM in an elimination final against the Roosters in 2020, only 18 months ago. His running metres, tackle busts are way down - is it his neck injury? He seems to have lost weight and strength.
Absolutely, he’s been great for us. But since his injury, for some reason, he’s not been the same player. He’s never been a ball playing fullback, but he’s been well up with the top players in the game as a runner.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: April 30, 2022, 8:43 am
One swallow doesn’t make a summer. Teddy, Turbo, and other top shelf fullbacks have won more MOTM awards in big games than CNK has had hot dinners. He turned out some good performances given the God gifted tools he was dealt but in reality he can’t pass, isn’t quick and now seems like he couldn’t catch a cold.
One summer makes a summer. Prior to his neck injury last year he'd been consistently one our best players and highly reliable contributors. Comparisons to the absolute best in the game and guys on $1m contracts is a ridiculous take. Nobody ever claimed CNK was at that level. Same goes for every other fullback in the game.

If only we'd signed Tedesco before he became a superstar. :hmmm
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote:
One summer makes a summer. Prior to his neck injury last year he'd been consistently one our best players and highly reliable contributors. Comparisons to the absolute best in the game and guys on $1m contracts is a ridiculous take. Nobody ever claimed CNK was at that level. Same goes for every other fullback in the game.

This needed to be said.

I'm sure CNK would admit his form has been poor since he returned from his serious neck injury.

Not sure what the point of comparing him to Tom Trbojevic is.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You just look who the poster is.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:02 am
Northern Raider wrote:

This needed to be said.

I'm sure CNK would admit his form has been poor since he returned from his serious neck injury.

Not sure what the point of comparing him to Tom Trbojevic is.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Call me crazy, but I’ve got a theory that if you want to be the best team in the comp you probably need to have some of the best players in the comp. Teddy, Turbo, RTS, Pongia, Mitchell, Brimson, Laurie.

CNK is not in the top half of good fullbacks in the comp. But we will do what we do and persist with him and spend the next 3 or 4 year moving him between fullback, 14 and centre before finally concluding he was a nice guy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Some facts about CNK… he was man of the match six times in 2019, a year when the Raiders made the Grand Final.

“Nicoll-Klokstad ended the 2019 season with 11 tries, second only to Jarrod Croker at the Raiders. He ranked fourth in the try scoring stakes amongst his fellow fullbacks. Nicoll-Klokstad finished second in the NRL, to James Tedesco, for total running metres and finished first for kick return metres. He was in the top 10 players for running metres per game, and first for kick return metres per game amongst the regular fullbacks. He made five in goal escapes, more than any player in the NRL. He was seventh in the NRL for total tackle breaks - and first at the Raiders. The area where he'll be no doubt looking to improve is his ball playing. He had four try assists for the season, and three try contributions, but that was well down the list of fullbacks. He still finished fourth at the Raiders for total try involvements.”

https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33729

He was MOTM three times in 2020.

“Nicoll-Klokstad ended the 2020 season with seven tries, compared with 11 in 2019 - meaning his strike rate was slightly down. He ranked equal third at the Raiders in the try scoring stakes - behind Nick Cotric and Jack Wighton - and eighth amongst the regular NRL fullbacks.

In 2019, Nicoll-Klokstad finished second in the NRL, to James Tedesco, for total running metres and finished first for kick return metres. This year, he dropped to seventh for running metres and eighth for kick return metres. He also dropped out of the top 10 players for average running metres and kick return metres per game. Last year, "CNK" was seventh in the NRL for total tackle breaks and first at the Raiders. However, in 2020, he dropped outside the top 20 players in the NRL in that department. He has worked on his ball playing. But with just four try assists for the season, he was well behind the benchmark fullbacks like Gutherson (19), Ponga (16), Dufty and Tedesco (15). It's something he'll want to continue to work on.”

https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34319

“Nicoll-Klokstad ended up making eight appearances for the Green Machine in 2021, six starting at fullback and two from the bench. He was sorely missed by the team - and I believe his absence was a major reason for the Raiders missing the finals.

Comparing CNK's 2021 statistics with those of previous seasons is very difficult. Not only did he make only eight appearances, he only played around 25 minutes in two matches, and 60 in another. His numbers on a per game basis, however, compare remarkably well with 2020. He still finished first at the club for running metres per game - level with Jordan Rapana - and second for kick return metres. He was also amongst the top four Raiders for tackle breaks per game.”

viewtopic.php?t=34825

The suggestion CNK’s form this year is anything like his form/contributions in other seasons, prior to his injury… well, it’s just not correct. And he was certainly better than an average fullback.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
BJ wrote: April 29, 2022, 12:12 pm I think Schuster’s passing game as a backrower would be amazing. One in from Wighton’s running game as a 5/8th, what a complimentary combination they could become.
Yep. I do recognise it's a bit of a pipe dream though when it comes to our club. We haven't made any ambitious signings like this in a while.
I'd go all in on Schuster. He is probably too big and not quite quick enough for 5/8 but we need ... not another ... "a" ballplaying option and Schuster has that in spades. Manly has him, Olakatoa (however you spell it), Bullemor and Ben Trobeyvic all vying for the second row. They won't get rid of Ben for obvious reasons - and I thought that was his best game so far last night. There were a few nice things from him. The big Olakatoa is a beast - if we can't get Schuster you go for him but Schuster would be the number 1 second rower to go for.

Agree with Pig, Tago looks worth a crack too and I'm sure there's other fringe players at Panthers you go for. Buy two.

I don't think we need to go too crazy with recruitment. We have some good pieces. Fogarty and HSS were huge losses this year. We can't use Hodgson leaving as an excuse because the club really didn't want him. But as Nickman said elsewhere (paraphrasing here) we do have some players that are good enough but they're not playing to their best. We need a new coach.

For all the recent criticism of the fans turning on the club, of course I don't have the inside knowledge, but the criticism from the fans I imagine is exactly the areas that coaches at the better clubs would be levelling directly at their players. Does anybody believe that Bellamy or Robinson would put up with the way our players have been performing this year and last? There's no way in hell. Our players have adopted Jack's infamous 'still got paid' mentality. Their **** phoning it in because the club is currently lacking any personal accountability.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Is your club paying too much for players? Confidential NRL document sheds light on salaries: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/is-you ... 5ag76.html

We lose on the field - and off the field with our stupid management over paying players
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 1, 2022, 9:02 am Is your club paying too much for players? Confidential NRL document sheds light on salaries: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/is-you ... 5ag76.html

We lose on the field - and off the field with our stupid management over paying players
Pay wall, in a nutshell, what’s it say re the Raiders?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I put this in the signing thread, so ill add it here too.

Here are some names off contract in the next couple of yrs.... yes, there are some hit and hopes:

FB

WING
Taylan May

CTR
Herbie
Isaiah Tass
Will Kei

HALF
Jock Madden

LOCK

EDGE
Aitken
Matterson
Jack Bird
Angus Crichton

PROP
J'maine Hopgood
Suluka-Fifita

HOOKER
Walters*
Trev needs to be re-signed
Fainu#
Rein (sigh)

FB
Drinkwater (half too)

WING
Cobbo
Muliatlo
Katoa
Marzhew
Dom Young

CTR
Nui
Tago
S Crichton

HALF
Clifford
Ben Hunt (or hooker)
Hastings

LOCK
Mann

EDGE
Patolo
Dave Fifita 
Bullemore
Loiero
Egan Butcher

PROP
Jordan Grant
Aaron Pene
Leo Thompson (how ironic)
Fletcher Baker

HOOKER
Robson
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

GE, It's difficult to replicate as they have graphs, interactives and tables but I'll do my best. For the positions that don't involve the Raiders, I won't replicate the salaries:

Is your club paying too much for players? Confidential NRL document sheds light on salaries

The document doesn’t name players, but provides the average and median salary for players in each position based on a five player bracket (Eg. Player 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 etc). The salaries are also based on the reduced cap (due to COVID-19) of $9.4m this year.

Some of the game’s former greats have also provided their top five performing players in each position to provide an insight into which teams are getting value for money.

FIVE-EIGHTHS

Top 5
Average salary = $764,460
Median salary = $752,000

Top 5 paid five eighths: 1. Cameron Munster $950,000 2. Jack Wighton $850,000 3. Luke Keary
$752,000 4. Cody Walker $650,0005 Jarome Luai $650,000

One of the game’s greatest five-eighths, Brad Fittler, selected four of the highest paid five-eighths in his top five performers, albeit in a different order: 1. Cameron Munster (Storm) 2. Jarome Luai (Panthers) 3. Dylan Brown (Eels) 4. Jack Wighton (Raiders) 5. Cody Walker (Rabbitohs)

FULLBACKS

Top 5
Average salary = $939,020
Median salary = $987,000

The top five paid fullbacks in the game are Kalyn Ponga, James Tedesco, Tom Trbojevic, Valentine Holmes and Latrell Mitchell. There’s a big drop to the 6th-10th ranked fullbacks, whose average salary is almost $350,000 less than the top five No.1s.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Estimated salary $510,000
Estimated bracket Rank 6-10
Bracket average salary $595,000

LOCK FORWARDS

Top 5
Average salary = $841,316
Median salary = $846,000

The average of a top five lock forward is higher than a second-rower despite David Fifita’s monster salary at the Titans inflating the figures for the edge forwards. Joe Tapine is also on a mammoth deal with the Raiders despite being moved to the front row.

1. Jason Taumalolo $975,000 2. Jake Trbojevic $875,000 3. Cameron Murray $846,000 4. Joe Tapine $750,000 5. Jack de Belin $750,000

Paul Gallen labelled Yeo as the best lock in the game: 1.Isaah Yeo (Panthers) 2.Cameron Murray (Rabbitohs) 3.Jake Trbojevic (Sea Eagles) 4.Dale Finucane (Sharks) 5.Jason Taumalolo (Cowboys)

HOOKERS

Top 5
Average salary = $618,440
Median salary = $550,000

1. Josh Hodgson $775,000 2. Damien Cook $725,000 3. Harry Grant $550,000 4. Brandon Smith $525,000 5. Api Koroisau $475,000

The highest paid hooker in the NRL, Canberra’s Josh Hodgson, doesn’t feature in the top five No.9s in the game, according to former Wests Tigers rake Robbie Farah: 1. Api Koroisau (Panthers) 2. Harry Grant (Storm) 3. Damien Cook (Rabbitohs) 4. Reed Mahoney (Eels) 5. Brandon Smith (Storm)

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/is-you ... 5ag76.html
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Id be having a good cruizer session on the roof top if I was young savage, run mate run. Its and old mans/boys game down in the berra

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

We will be getting none of the above under the current administration.

This place is woke.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:Image
There’s definitely some balls need to be getting picked out of some nets right now. CNK’s form might be woeful this season (and he’s not on his Pat Malone there), but it’s pretty revisionist stuff to suggest he was never any good.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

Question wrote: May 1, 2022, 10:59 am We will be getting none of the above under the current administration.

Questions must be asked over the appointment of Kelly Egan, what has he done since getting here?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Thanks for sharing. Does the article dig any deeper about how the salary cap works, and/or provide further context? For a long time I've really wondered how clubs manage their caps. I mean if you just add all of the 'averages' listed together you get about $9.5 million for 13 players. So ummm how does that work? Are the averages based on club's starting 13's and even if it is how is it possible?

I mean, of course clubs spend more/less on different positions, but it's still hard to reconcile those numbers.

Even if you halve those numbers and get your starting 13 down to say $5 million you still have 17 players to pay with the remaining $4.4 million.

If you just throw some numbers around how is it possible?

9,400,000 divide 30 is $313,000 per player
If you have 2 players on $750,000 your average for the other 28 players is $282,000.
If you have a further 6 players on $500,000 your average for the other 22 players is $222,000. And that's being generous because most if not all clubs have at least 1 million dollar player.

That's only 8 of the squad. You can understand the salaries dropping for those squad fillers but these days it's a 17 man game so are we to believe that 9 of your 17 starters are averaging $222,000 - there is no **** way that is happening when the minimum wage is $120,000.

The numbers don't even come close to making any sense?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Gergreg, no. There's only one more table with average salary per position: backs and halves which I have tried to replicate below:

Rank Fullbacks Wingers Centres Five-eighths Halfbacks

Players 1-5 $939,020 $451,602 $614,680 $764,460 $1,095,560

Players 6-10 $595,604 $390,060 $476,038 $480,660 $639,090

Players 11-15 $418,751 $317,300 $364,220 $276,220 $346,300

Players 16-20 $269,940 $275,540 $303,027 $125,120 $245,353

Players 21-25 $138,520 $240,746 $259,656 $102,267 $138,972

Players 26-30 $106,240 $199,887 $214,218 (no value given for 5/8) $110,780

Players 31-35 $80,000 $169,040 $173,780 (no value given for 5/8) $83,760

Players 36-40 (no value given for FB) $147,180 $150,590 (no values given for 5/8 and HB)

Players 41-45 (no value given for FB) $129,560 $132,320 (no values given for 5/8 and HB)

Players 46-50 (no value given for FB) $121,137 $116,517 (no values given for 5/8 and HB)
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Interesting that Croker’s $600k overs is now the average wage for a centre. He’d also be getting $200k or so of that not on the cap due to long service wouldn’t he?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.