thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: 2022 Rd 8 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by thedevilingreen »

Begbie wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:55 pm
President Clinton wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:13 pm
gergreg wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:01 pm
exrefhollywood wrote:Can someone name a dumber team in world sport??? :?
The Washington Generals?
The Cleveland Browns?
Southamton
Sounds like daylight between us and them and we are leading easily
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Mullins_y2k »

1. Savage
2. Cotric
3. Croker (worth a shot)
4. Charnze
5. Rapana
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

greeneyed wrote: May 1, 2022, 1:18 am
gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:I was pretty happy to lose that one…. What happened in the press conference?

Did Rocky have another cheap shot at the fans? God I hope so
No, from the snippet I saw he actually apologised to the fans.
He apologised to the loyal, fans, the real fans, any that are left.

“for any loyal fan, any real fan we have got left, I feel really embarrassed and sorry for them.”

That was the shot at the fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes. He was referring to loyal fans of him, Ricky Stuart, not loyal fans of the club
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
RedRaider wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:02 pm I think Ricky will hire the overhead projector from the Parramatta Club basement and give the players some home truths when they get back to Canberra.
It’s not all the players’ fault. By no means is it all the players’ fault. Some accountability needs to be taken by coaches and management.
And the “armchair experts” who have never even coached a game of under 7s. Surely it’s our faults more than anyone else’s
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Regarding the conversation about Schneider. Given we couldn’t beat one of the worst NRL-level sides I’ve ever seen yesterday in the Warriors, I think it’s fair to say the season is over.

Schneider should be told he has the 7 jersey for the rest of the year, and to go out and show us something. Let the kid know where he stands in order to take the pressure off him - that’s how good clubs and coaches would handle the development of a young half.

And he should definitely get earlier ball - he’s getting smashed behind a combination of a beaten pack and a stilted clueless attacking shape. Surely that’s an easy thing to change. It’s not as though what we do currently is working!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2022 Rd 8 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:I was pretty happy to lose that one…. What happened in the press conference?

Did Rocky have another cheap shot at the fans? God I hope so
No, from the snippet I saw he actually apologised to the fans.
He apologised to the loyal, fans, the real fans, any that are left.

“for any loyal fan, any real fan we have got left, I feel really embarrassed and sorry for them.”

That was the shot at the fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jesus Christ any “real” fans we have left? That’s just another cheaply veiled shot at the fans!

Somebody **** fire up the cannon, I’m done with this **** and his whole era of unaccountability
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: April 30, 2022, 11:33 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:26 pm
Hillsraider wrote: April 30, 2022, 7:53 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: April 30, 2022, 6:14 pm
dubby wrote:
Papalii played for ten years until he decided to make a correction

I bet all blokes are pronouncing dubby wrong....it's prounced dubois.

And I bet Billy Walker is pronounced wrong too.
Yeah I’m not overly surprised. I knew this Tongan lady Mary who told us after 2 years of knowing her that her name was Mele. She figured it was easier going along with it than correcting people. Even then she was worried after 2 years whether it was too late and the horse had bolted.
As someone who now goes by the name of 'Bob' when ordering my coffees because I'm tired of hearing them butcher my real name (not particularly tricky, but is 'ethnic'), I can attest the struggle is real!

As for the players now asking for their names to be pronounced correctly, I guess they were putting up with it as I do, until one day one of them (can't remember who was first - Papa?) got the commentators et al to pronounce it correctly. And some of the others looked at it at thought 'ooh, waiter I'll have one of those, please'! Fair play.
Some people just want to live in a world where Greg Alexander can spend 80 minutes pronouncing Māori as Mau-ree and not be called out for it. Change is tough I guess, but I can't understand why anyone would choose to mispronounce names when the correct pronunciation has been pointed out to them.
Of course we should pronounce the names correctly, and as requested by the players. But I can assure you, I actually asked the Raiders how Josh Papalii wanted his name to be pronounced and it was pap-ar-lee. He said it that way. For a long time, every player has been asked how they wanted their name to be pronounced, and this was included in the official guide printed at the start of every season for the commentators, media and public. Josh Papalii changed his request a year or two ago. CNK, CHN, Rapana, Cotric all changed their requests. The guide sadly fell by the wayside during the pandemic. Timoko probably made his debut post the guide.

But we shouldn’t be blaming anyone for pronouncing the names as the players asked. If they change the request, great. But all people have been doing before is pronouncing the names as requested. Now, we should just say it how they now want.
Yup certainly not blaming them as in the example of CNK I'm sure I remember seeing he wasn't aware of the correct pronunciation of his name until he joined us. I'm just saying as we're made aware of the correct pronunciation we should be making the effort to use it (which I know you are :thumbsup ) rather than complaining about it.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

twistedbydesign wrote: May 1, 2022, 4:18 am

Lastly, in light of the above we have to persist with Schneider - we really don't have any reason not to - but I would agree with other posters that he's a mile off right now. He's been really brave in a tough situation, but for any young half you want to see at least flashes with the ball in hand. Right now his short kicking game is well below NRL standard (and we're paying a price for it), his running game is non-existent, and defenses have quickly realised that if you rush him for time it shuts down our entire right side attack. I think he might benefit from a simpler structure - getting the ball more often at first receiver rather than from one of the forwards - but either way he has a long way to go. Hopefully we see at least some sparks in coming weeks.
I've seen flashes with ball in hand. Agree with you on the short kicking and medium range kicking - he needs lots of practise.

But the rest could all be attributed to other aspects of our play, starting with our hooker rotation and how we control the ruck. I think it is entirely possible that he has no time and routinely gets smashed because we stink inside him
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:53 pm
-PJ- wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:49 pm And when did Tim-o-ko become Timmi-kaur ?
I suspect his name has always been correctly pronounced as have Rapana, Cotric and Papall. You do have to wonder how these guys come through our system, make debuts, do media, establish themselves and then we find out the club never actually asked them the simple courtesy of how to pronounce their names.

dubois? I’ve been calling him Krandall!

Why didn’t somebody tell me? Ohhh, I’ve been making an idiot out of myself!
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Billy Walker wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:01 pm
Botman wrote: April 30, 2022, 8:58 pm
Raider of d Lost Ark wrote: April 30, 2022, 8:51 pm
Botman wrote:Im putting this out there and understanding it MIGHT come back to haunt me... but im confident enough now... Schneider ain't it.
He's tough and he makes his tackles and i can see a role for him in an NRL squad... im just not seeing anything to say he's even average NRL half.
I agree Botman, I said it during the game that I know he is young and our only option at the moment but he is very average.

I take GE's point about how little football and developement he's had in the last few years. And that sucks.
But his processing is so slow, his passing is glacier pace. He cant read anything. Right now he's just a tackling bag for teams, they're jamming up on him and bashing him

And i give him a TON of credit. The guy is tough as nails. He makes his tackles. Defensively he's really sound and that'll keep him in an NRL squad for a good period of time. A half who you can trust to just make his tackles will stick around as a back up half in the league.

But he's not it. Im fairly confident about that. He's not our halfback of the future.
I dont know that he'd suceed, but i think his best hope is to hit the protein powders, bulk up and have a crack at #13. He doesnt have the instincts, or skill to be a good NRL halfback imo
He’s also behind a pack laying zero platform. That said I’m keen to start seeing a lot more from him.
Brother we had a significant yardage advantage against the warriors and essentially every middle forward bar Rushton (who was still averaging over 10m a run) got over 100m

This loss is on the skills players
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Ricky cannot get the best out of the players. They lack football smarts / common sense and discipline in giving away penalties.

How dumb are the likes of Rapana, Starling, Semi , even Horse and CHN ? Rapana has already done dumb **** to cost us badly against Manly, but he needed to throw a stupid pass to Cotric. Starling is another dumb idiot for throwing the pass when Horse overran it. He gave away a lot of penalties v Cowboys when we were leading.

Semi I don't want to make any more disparaging remarks about his common sense.

We also need a psychologist to help us mentally in how to handle giving up these leads.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 1, 2022, 8:40 am Ricky cannot get the best out of the players. They lack football smarts / common sense and discipline in giving away penalties.

How dumb are the likes of Rapana, Starling, Semi , even Horse and CHN ? Rapana has already done dumb **** to cost us badly against Manly, but he needed to throw a stupid pass to Cotric. Starling is another dumb idiot for throwing the pass when Horse overran it. He gave away a lot of penalties v Cowboys when we were leading.

We also need a psychologist to help us mentally in how to handle giving up these leads.
The Rapana pass was a stupid play - but through more luck than skill it sat up on a platter for Cotric. Not letting Rapa off the hook, but does anyone truly believe Cotric shouldn’t have caught that with his eyes closed one hand behind his back??
The Green Hornet
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The Green Hornet »

Billy Walker wrote: May 1, 2022, 8:55 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 1, 2022, 8:40 am Ricky cannot get the best out of the players. They lack football smarts / common sense and discipline in giving away penalties.

The Rapana pass was a stupid play - but through more luck than skill it sat up on a platter for Cotric. Not letting Rapa off the hook, but does anyone truly believe Cotric shouldn’t have caught that with his eyes closed one hand behind his back??
No doubt Cotric should have caught that, giving Raps a serve for passing it later.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Rickmando wrote: May 1, 2022, 7:34 am Regarding the conversation about Schneider. Given we couldn’t beat one of the worst NRL-level sides I’ve ever seen yesterday in the Warriors, I think it’s fair to say the season is over.

Schneider should be told he has the 7 jersey for the rest of the year, and to go out and show us something. Let the kid know where he stands in order to take the pressure off him - that’s how good clubs and coaches would handle the development of a young half.

And he should definitely get earlier ball - he’s getting smashed behind a combination of a beaten pack and a stilted clueless attacking shape. Surely that’s an easy thing to change. It’s not as though what we do currently is working!
I get what you mean there. He's been eased in with reduced duties- fine. But now if he's going to grow into the role it's time to ask/show a bit more. He kicked more v warriors which I liked- we need to spare Jack doing all of that too. He needs to know he can and should be able to grab hold of the ship when it starts listing like it did v Warriors. That's a halfback role and a few of the training wheels need to come off now. I'd hate for him to finish his run and feel like he was restricted to playing a bit part. This might be his one and only shot at starting FG- he needs to grab it.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I think fair criticism is fine but i do feel like there are posts here that are crossing the line.

I dont think there is a need for that. Please consider mental wellbeing of the person you are posting about.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

BadnMean wrote: May 1, 2022, 9:12 am
Rickmando wrote: May 1, 2022, 7:34 am Regarding the conversation about Schneider. Given we couldn’t beat one of the worst NRL-level sides I’ve ever seen yesterday in the Warriors, I think it’s fair to say the season is over.

I get what you mean there. He's been eased in with reduced duties- fine. But now if he's going to grow into the role it's time to ask/show a bit more. He kicked more v warriors which I liked- we need to spare Jack doing all of that too. He needs to know he can and should be able to grab hold of the ship when it starts listing like it did v Warriors. That's a halfback role and a few of the training wheels need to come off now. I'd hate for him to finish his run and feel like he was restricted to playing a bit part. This might be his one and only shot at starting FG- he needs to grab it.
He is a very capable player.

Ok he dropped a kick he should have caught.. but it should not have mattered. We should have been winning that game by 40 at that point.

I agree.. give him the confidence by letting him have the jersey for a period of time.

He is at a cross roads.. very important period in his career. Needs to be managed properly.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Starlings service is woeful. I think he is a large reason why our attack is so bad.

Any news on when Trev is back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:23 pm
GreenMachine wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:18 pm
Botman wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:11 pm
GreenMachine wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:07 pm Too early to pass judgement on Schneider..
Baby bath water IMO..
I want to see a coaching change before I judge any of the younger players.
Any new coach worth their salt would look at our sitiation and quite rightly not bother about throwing out the bath water, but just pull the plug.
I have no doubt that some of our players are not up to standard and playing in the wrong positions. It’s the older brigade IMO…the class of 2019.
I wouldn’t be in a hurry to judge a lot of the younger crop.
Halfback is arguably the worst position when it comes to talent pool in the NRL.
Agreed but he's not it. Im telling you now he doesnt have the skills or instincts to be an NRL half.
i truly hope this **** is pinned to my grave stone, when he wins up multiple premierships and is an elite NRL half... but i dont see it at all
He's tough as all hell and very likeable

He's not good enough to be an quality NRL halfback. Not under this coach. Or any. Not talented/skillful enough.
You see, I feel the same about Jack Wighton. Albeit Jack is talented.
He is not an NRL half and our over reliance on him to activate our attack is killing us.
We’re playing with a rookie half and blunt instrument in our halves trying to conjure points from a conservative grind ball style of play that was useful in the 80’s.
We need a new coach to implement a new plan around how we play football.
I don’t care who we get…Ricky ain’t “it”.
CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

GreenMachine wrote: May 1, 2022, 9:57 am
GreenMachine wrote: April 30, 2022, 9:07 pm Too early to pass judgement on Schneider..
Baby bath water IMO..
I want to see a coaching change before I judge any of the younger players.
Any new coach worth their salt would look at our sitiation and quite rightly not bother about throwing out the bath water, but just pull the plug.
I have no doubt that some of our players are not up to standard and playing in the wrong positions. It’s the older brigade IMO…the class of 2019.
Halfback is arguably the worst position when it comes to talent pool in the NRL.
Agreed but he's not it. Im telling you now he doesnt have the skills or instincts to be an NRL half.
i truly hope this **** is pinned to my grave stone, when he wins up multiple premierships and is an elite NRL half... but i dont see it at all

He's not good enough to be an quality NRL halfback. Not under this coach. Or any. Not talented/skillful enough.
He is not an NRL half and our over reliance on him to activate our attack is killing us.
We’re playing with a rookie half and blunt instrument in our halves trying to conjure points from a conservative grind ball style of play that was useful in the 80’s.
Yeah see, that's the real problem with it all.

What would you change the current halves lineup to? As well as do with Wighton if you were going to move him?
We don't have a better answer there at the moment. For mine I like the idea of Trev getting a run again and being able to link up with Schneider.
Something needs to change, so that something can click.

As it currently stands, the fate of the team riding on the ability and decision making of Jack and Raps just isn't going to cut it, especially in this sort of slump. They are the blokes who can win you the game when it's on the line, not save you from losing it.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

CrabLord wrote: May 1, 2022, 10:03 am
GreenMachine wrote: May 1, 2022, 9:57 am

Yeah see, that's the real problem with it all.

What would you change the current halves lineup to? As well as do with Wighton if you were going to move him?
We don't have a better answer there at the moment. For mine I like the idea of Trev getting a run again and being able to link up with Schneider.
Something needs to change, so that something can click.

As it currently stands, the fate of the team riding on the ability and decision making of Jack and Raps just isn't going to cut it, especially in this sort of slump. They are the blokes who can win you the game when it's on the line, not save you from losing it.
Oh I completely agree we have no answer for moving Jack away from the halves right now.

Completely agree we need to see Trev in the side now with Schneider at first receiver for the rest of the season learning how to marshal a team around the park. End of the season we will have enough to understand whether he’s a career ‘fill in’ or serviceable first grade option.

Priority should be the Board meeting with Ricky to thank him for his service and offer to pay his final season out under a mutual settlement where he gets to leave the club end of season without losing face. Obviously we’d have a coach identified and ready to go next season.

However winning right now isn’t an option…not if it comes at the price of playing insipid football under Ricky.
I’f you think he can turn this around your betting against history and someone in that Boardroom should have enough sense to understand that.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote: May 1, 2022, 7:46 am
dubby wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:53 pm
-PJ- wrote: April 30, 2022, 5:49 pm And when did Tim-o-ko become Timmi-kaur ?
I suspect his name has always been correctly pronounced as have Rapana, Cotric and Papall. You do have to wonder how these guys come through our system, make debuts, do media, establish themselves and then we find out the club never actually asked them the simple courtesy of how to pronounce their names.

dubois? I’ve been calling him Krandall!

Why didn’t somebody tell me? Ohhh, I’ve been making an idiot out of myself!
:roflmao
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

benda wrote: May 1, 2022, 9:37 am

Ok he dropped a kick he should have caught.. but it should not have mattered. We should have been winning that game by 40 at that point.

I agree.. give him the confidence by letting him have the jersey for a period of time.

He is at a cross roads.. very important period in his career. Needs to be managed properly.
I guess the main thing I’m advocating is clear communication and giving him backing. Halfbacks don’t fall out of trees. Give him all the support we can muster this season. Then you make the informed decision at the end of the year whether you persist with him going into 2023.

It’s the best thing for both the club and the player. If he doesn’t develop, you have the chat to him at years end that you’ll be recruiting a half and maybe he should look at converting to a back-up 9 or 13 role. But only do that after you’ve thrown him the keys for an extended run. Playing 7 in the NRL is tough for any 21 year old…
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Schneider has been a pass mark at best in most categories. I don't think you could make a case that he's better than average in any one facet

I'm with Botman, I think chances of him being a quality primary half are slim to minute. Maybe he can do a job as secondary/supporting playmaker as an all-rounder, possibly

A key thing for me is that he's got no running game. He's not fast or evasive at all. That weakens his ballplaying options substantially (his ballrunners will just get picked off). I mean rugby league's not rocket science. I think for a half, the foundation is being fast/evasive. Even Sam Williams had enough to beat a hesitating defence
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Rickmando wrote: May 1, 2022, 11:00 am
benda wrote: May 1, 2022, 9:37 am

I guess the main thing I’m advocating is clear communication and giving him backing. Halfbacks don’t fall out of trees. Give him all the support we can muster this season. Then you make the informed decision at the end of the year whether you persist with him going into 2023.

It’s the best thing for both the club and the player. If he doesn’t develop, you have the chat to him at years end that you’ll be recruiting a half and maybe he should look at converting to a back-up 9 or 13 role. But only do that after you’ve thrown him the keys for an extended run. Playing 7 in the NRL is tough for any 21 year old…
I think plenty of halves have benefited from moving up and down grades early in their career. Schneider is clearly having issues adjusting to the pace of first grade as he rarely seems to have time, his short kicking game is really poor.

All this is saying is that I don't think it's as simple as leaving him in first grade for the rest of the year. He may well benefit from having a stint in reserve grade and having a think about what the differences are in how he needs to play.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

I’d say that perhaps if he was glaringly a reason why we aren’t winning.

But he’s out there aiming up. Yes he’s got a lot room for improvement but I’d like to see if he can make adjustments in the top grade. Maybe there’s a time towards the end of the season to send him back down for a stint.

Either way though, it’s important for his confidence for the club to be as open as reasonable about their plans to develop him, and to avoid the yo-yo between grades. A good professional system would afford him that much…
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Boomercm wrote: May 1, 2022, 7:46 am
twistedbydesign wrote: May 1, 2022, 4:18 am

Lastly, in light of the above we have to persist with Schneider - we really don't have any reason not to - but I would agree with other posters that he's a mile off right now. He's been really brave in a tough situation, but for any young half you want to see at least flashes with the ball in hand. Right now his short kicking game is well below NRL standard (and we're paying a price for it), his running game is non-existent, and defenses have quickly realised that if you rush him for time it shuts down our entire right side attack. I think he might benefit from a simpler structure - getting the ball more often at first receiver rather than from one of the forwards - but either way he has a long way to go. Hopefully we see at least some sparks in coming weeks.
I've seen flashes with ball in hand. Agree with you on the short kicking and medium range kicking - he needs lots of practise.

But the rest could all be attributed to other aspects of our play, starting with our hooker rotation and how we control the ruck. I think it is entirely possible that he has no time and routinely gets smashed because we stink inside him
Yeah that's fair enough, it's always going to be hard to evaluate a rookie half in a team going as badly as ours. And he's not getting much help from the players around him, that's for sure. I hope I'm wrong, the kid is putting his body on the line every week admirably, I just don't see much that makes me think he's going to be a long term half in the NRL.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 1, 2022, 11:09 am
A key thing for me is that he's got no running game. He's not fast or evasive at all. That weakens his ballplaying options substantially (his ballrunners will just get picked off). I mean rugby league's not rocket science. I think for a half, the foundation is being fast/evasive. Even Sam Williams had enough to beat a hesitating defence
1005 this. It's very hard to make it as a half these days if you can't threaten the line.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Rickmando wrote: May 1, 2022, 11:21 am I’d say that perhaps if he was glaringly a reason why we aren’t winning.

But he’s out there aiming up. Yes he’s got a lot room for improvement but I’d like to see if he can make adjustments in the top grade. Maybe there’s a time towards the end of the season to send him back down for a stint.

Either way though, it’s important for his confidence for the club to be as open as reasonable about their plans to develop him, and to avoid the yo-yo between grades. A good professional system would afford him that much…
I certainly don’t think he should be dropped
We don’t really have a viable option to replace him with anyways

When Fogarty is healthy that’ll change but for now he absolutely has to play.

But we need to be proactive in finding the next term halfback, because I don’t believe he’s at the club right now
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

You can't have erratic players in your spine.. rapana and starling have too many errors in their game... they need to be given simple games to play. Rapana cannot be fb any longer.
Both our halves can't kick.. schneider needs to be dropped for Sam Williams or frawley who both have better short kicks.
We need a bloody half that can give us a repeat set!
Valemai is a waste at centre swap him for cotric. Cnk another shot at fb.
Go the dogs. Ricky must walk.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Canberra Milk wrote:Schneider has been a pass mark at best in most categories. I don't think you could make a case that he's better than average in any one facet

I'm with Botman, I think chances of him being a quality primary half are slim to minute. Maybe he can do a job as secondary/supporting playmaker as an all-rounder, possibly

Currently the best halfback in the game is probably Cleary? The first few years he came into the comp he was criticised for a lack of creativity. To begin with he based his game on mistake free effort plays. Strong defender, kick to the corners and chase hard, direct the team around the park. Now he does much more but that is how you develop a player. We are crap at it. Schneider doesn't need to change much because his effort is pretty good - except I'd like to see him straighten up the attack more. He crabs across too much. Watch Cleary... he sets up the backline play by straightening up.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Wighton out for 2 weeks.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

radicalraider wrote: May 1, 2022, 12:40 pm Wighton out for 2 weeks.
“Suspensions” just firmed in the Ricky’s excuses betting market.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

gergreg wrote: May 1, 2022, 12:35 pm
Canberra Milk wrote:Schneider has been a pass mark at best in most categories. I don't think you could make a case that he's better than average in any one facet

Currently the best halfback in the game is probably Cleary? The first few years he came into the comp he was criticised for a lack of creativity. To begin with he based his game on mistake free effort plays. Strong defender, kick to the corners and chase hard, direct the team around the park. Now he does much more but that is how you develop a player. We are crap at it. Schneider doesn't need to change much because his effort is pretty good - except I'd like to see him straighten up the attack more. He crabs across too much. Watch Cleary... he sets up the backline play by straightening up.
Strong agree. I would like to see gradual and consistent improvement in his kicking game too
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Schenider playing in a team who aren't giving him a lot of help, getting slow ball and a few hospital type passes too.

I agree hes struggling but as mentioned the kid has heart and desire, that goes a long way.
Trev in the team throwing decent passes will benefit him no end
Happy to give him more time.
More concerned with the habitual errors from Rapa, CNH, Red Dog etc
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: May 1, 2022, 12:35 pm

There is a gulf of difference between the level of creativity Cleary showed in his rookie year and Schneider

Cleary was criticised for his creative and people questioned if he was creative enough to play rep footy. It was evident from his first year that he was an Nrl first grade quality half.

It’s levels guys.