Bulldogs 13+
43%

Total votes: 23

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: 2022 Rd 9 V Bulldogs: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: May 3, 2022, 9:03 pm
julian87 wrote: May 3, 2022, 8:57 pm FTR Reece Robinson is a blip on my radar. But if we are being serious he could actually pass too.
He could. But i promise you i have never seen a a player so terrified of contact in my life
As a fullback the trys he conceded because he simply refused to put a body on a guy and the tries he actually didnt score before he'd prefer to try and out run a guy and fail to finish in the corner, than to either take contact and score easily or draw and pass... it was honestly embarrassing. I honestly dont know how he had the balls to show up for the film sessions.
I agree 100%

And. Sadly. I'd take prime Reece Robinson in our side this week.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Christ this is a club of contrasts. We have just up some of the best players in the game but also some of the absolute worst

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Alan Rothery was one of GEs favourites.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Is it over yet?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sorry Paul Crawley, no individual should be bigger than a football club. The contribution of any individual in a football department at a club is ultimately measured by wins and losses. If the contrary is true at Canberra, then that’s a very serious problem. And it would say a lot about the accountability structures. I have long said that member voting and representation on the Canberra Raiders board would add considerably to the strength of the accountability mechanisms.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

‘It did cross my mind’: Returning Croker’s retirement fear

Canberra favourite Jarrod Croker said the fear of being medically retired was a bigger concern late last year following stem-cell surgery rather than now as he makes a popular return to the NRL on Friday.

“All that talk of [medical retirement] got to me more last year before I started training and playing when it was unknown about how the stem cell surgery was going to work,” Croker said.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it-did ... 5ai6w.html
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 3, 2022, 7:56 pm Paul Crawley on NRL360 regarding claims that Ricky has avoided scrutiny: "Ricky is Canberra. He means more to that club than the wins and losses. He means more to the community. he is the biggest part of that club, and it's just logic that they will not get rid of him."

* David Riccio said all the team were upbeat when it was announced that Croker was back, with Jack running over and jumping all over him - the mood visibly lifted, and players supporting him on social media. Crawley said we are lacking leadership. Riccio said we need a lift of emotions and energy. Our 40th anniversary celebrations this weekend - Croker said the importance of playing for the old boys of Canberra.

* it was mentioned by Crawley we have young players that are not disciplined (I would say it's the older players and experienced players who are showing a lack of discipline)

* the journalists Riccio said read the tea leaves and think there's no pressure at all on Ricky. Only happened once in our history.

* Crawley said Ricky needs to be cut some slack - we made GF and PF when we flew up there on the day. Last year our HB walked out on us and lost John Bateman, and this year no Hodgson and no Fogarty
Regarding the bolded text above, can I confirm - is he referring to himself and Whitehead and calling on the younger more able player to lift to cover them, or is he anticipating former players are going to turn up to watch this fine clash and marvel on how far we have come in 40 years…..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s the annual player reunion and there’s a 40 year gala thing on Saturday night at the Hotel Realm. So all the old boys will be there on Friday night. Not sure why this is the weekend… might be the Bulldogs were the first official trial. And the first game was against the Rabbitohs, but that game is away. First home game was the Magpies and they don’t exist as an NRL team, first win was against Newtown and they don’t exist as an NRL team.

I got an invitation to the gala, as a Club 82 member, and also invited to pay $500 (tax deductible) for a ticket. I declined. Given the preseason thing was cancelled, looks like nothing will involve the regular fans.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Me thinks those old boys need to play on Friday night if we are any chance of a win!!
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

greeneyed wrote: May 3, 2022, 10:46 pm
It’s the annual player reunion and there’s a 40 year gala thing on Saturday night at the Hotel Realm. So all the old boys will be there on Friday night. Not sure why this is the weekend… might be the Bulldogs were the first official trial. And the first game was against the Rabbitohs, but that game is away. First home game was the Magpies and they don’t exist as an NRL team, first win was against Newtown and they don’t exist as an NRL team.

I got an invitation to the gala, as a Club 82 member, and also invited to pay $500 (tax deductible) for a ticket. I declined. Given the preseason thing was cancelled, looks like nothing will involve the regular fans.
It was the first trial match: viewtopic.php?t=22094

On November 2 1981, the new club held its first training session, with 70 players in all lining up, yet Canberra was still searching for players right up until the last minute, holding an open trial on January 31, 1982 at which 90 players turned out. The Canberra Raiders team had their first trial match February 6, 1982 against Canterbury (losing 16-10) and then their first home trial at Seiffert Oval against Illawarra on February 13 (losing 12-8).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 3, 2022, 10:55 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 3, 2022, 10:46 pm

It was the first trial match: viewtopic.php?t=22094

On November 2 1981, the new club held its first training session, with 70 players in all lining up, yet Canberra was still searching for players right up until the last minute, holding an open trial on January 31, 1982 at which 90 players turned out. The Canberra Raiders team had their first trial match February 6, 1982 against Canterbury (losing 16-10) and then their first home trial at Seiffert Oval against Illawarra on February 13 (losing 12-8).
Had that in the back of mind somewhere! 😀😉
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: May 3, 2022, 10:46 pm It’s the annual player reunion and there’s a 40 year gala thing on Saturday night at the Hotel Realm. So all the old boys will be there on Friday night. Not sure why this is the weekend… might be the Bulldogs were the first official trial. And the first game was against the Rabbitohs, but that game is away. First home game was the Magpies and they don’t exist as an NRL team, first win was against Newtown and they don’t exist as an NRL team.

$500 - bloody hell they aren’t missing you there! Does that buy you Terry Regan for the weekend trimming your lawns and emptying your trash packs?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Jesus Christ I just saw that spine. LOL.

Surely that's the worst we've ever fielded - surely.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

julian87 wrote: May 3, 2022, 8:05 pm I'm pretty confident we will see

Frawley at hooker :lol:
Williams at five eighth :lol: :lol:
Kris at left right out. :lol: :roflmao :lol: :roflmao :lol: :roflmao
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Billy Walker wrote:
greeneyed wrote: May 3, 2022, 10:46 pm It’s the annual player reunion and there’s a 40 year gala thing on Saturday night at the Hotel Realm. So all the old boys will be there on Friday night. Not sure why this is the weekend… might be the Bulldogs were the first official trial. And the first game was against the Rabbitohs, but that game is away. First home game was the Magpies and they don’t exist as an NRL team, first win was against Newtown and they don’t exist as an NRL team.

$500 - bloody hell they aren’t missing you there! Does that buy you Terry Regan for the weekend trimming your lawns and emptying your trash packs?
I would hope that the night finishes with some form of massage.

This place is woke.
HoraceBigCigar
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Re: 2022 Rd 9 V Bulldogs: Teams and Previews

Post by HoraceBigCigar »

-PJ- wrote: May 3, 2022, 3:41 pm Ben Cummins with the whistle and a Sutton brother running the line.

We in big trouble.
You know things are bad when I think, “hmmm, good point but that’s actually the least of our worries” :roflmao
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

So revealing. Our response to 5 straight losses and the very obvious reality that we're looking at a full rebuild is to...drop our three most inexperienced guys!

But wait, there's more! We'll also (I assume) move our 4th most inexperienced guy to the other side of the field to accommodate a 32 year old on one leg.

Good times.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

afgtnk wrote: May 4, 2022, 12:27 am Jesus Christ I just saw that spine. LOL.

Surely that's the worst we've ever fielded - surely.
Even without your boy Sezer?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

julian87 wrote: May 3, 2022, 8:55 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 3, 2022, 8:49 pm
julian87 wrote: May 3, 2022, 8:33 pm
Botman wrote: May 3, 2022, 8:29 pm
President Clinton wrote: May 3, 2022, 8:25 pm This line up came to mind from 2012, but maybe today’s spine take the cake.

1. Robinson
6. McCrone
7. Williams
9. Waddell

We actually won with that 1,6,7,9.
WOOOOOW. Thats pretty good! Tight contest :lol:
CNK wins his match up against Robinson
McCrone might win against Frawls lolol
Williams definately takes the Schnieds match up at this stage of his development
But it's only been 1 game... and Adam Elliott might have Travy

What a battle of a titans!
I'd take every one of them, as they were then, over what is named this weekend.
Yeah, about the only thing missing from the current line up is a few short bullet passes to to the head, a fullback running away from the players he's meant to tackle and a dummy half throwing the ball behind his runners.
The current side just lost to a team that had been beaten by 60 points 5 days prior.
So last weeks Team was the worst then. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Gmachine121
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Gmachine121 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 3, 2022, 7:56 pm Paul Crawley on NRL360 regarding claims that Ricky has avoided scrutiny: "Ricky is Canberra. He means more to that club than the wins and losses. He means more to the community. he is the biggest part of that club, and it's just logic that they will not get rid of him."

* David Riccio said all the team were upbeat when it was announced that Croker was back, with Jack running over and jumping all over him - the mood visibly lifted, and players supporting him on social media. Crawley said we are lacking leadership. Riccio said we need a lift of emotions and energy. Our 40th anniversary celebrations this weekend - Croker said the importance of playing for the old boys of Canberra.

* it was mentioned by Crawley we have young players that are not disciplined (I would say it's the older players and experienced players who are showing a lack of discipline)

* the journalists Riccio said read the tea leaves and think there's no pressure at all on Ricky. Only happened once in our history.

* Crawley said Ricky needs to be cut some slack - we made GF and PF when we flew up there on the day. Last year our HB walked out on us and lost John Bateman, and this year no Hodgson and no Fogarty
Parts in bold are just complete nonsense,
:does anyone honestly think any coach can keep his job if he keeps losing ? If that’s the case Ricky is the only one who can do it

Young players lacking discipline? :Pretty sure Rapana isn’t young and he’s the most undisciplined player I have ever seen

No pressure on Rick : ridiculous and if that’s the case the whole place needs a broom through it

Losing players to whatever reasons past few years : what a massive cop out , every team has lost players . To be a good coach you need to work with what you have and get the best out of them ( Bellamy cough cough )

Sick to death of Stuart and his media lackeys
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

Geez this game is going to be hard to watch.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Question wrote: May 3, 2022, 8:02 pm Ricky is Canberra ImageImageImage

Ricky is Canberra! So Q let’s stop supporting the Canberra Raiders and cheer for the “Ricky Stuarts” instead.

Maybe we can be the “real fans” he was referring to when responding to criticism a few weeks back?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Don't mind this lineup. Looking forward to the 3/4 being forced to get more involved with Wighton out.

As bad as CNK has been, good to see Rapana back on the wing.

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Does anyone know if Steve Crawley from Fox/Telegraph is any relation to Mick Crawley our attack coach? I googled and there is a resemblance.

Anyway, I've never heard Steve Crawley criticise Ricky in the past or write something negative as they are mates and if he is related to our attack coach, should he be offering an opinion on the Canberra Raiders ?
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

This is the NRL not some local footy club. The only thing that matters is wins and losses and no one means more to the club than that.

I am sure that this team can play better than what they have. They’ve done it for short periods of games before completely falling to pieces. This far into the season and we still haven’t put a good 80 minutes together. It just isn’t good enough at this level.

Good teams at the moment are doing 2 things well. Defending for long periods without conceding points when the inevitable run of 6 agains and penalties goes against them. And converting their scoring opportunities when they arise. At the moment we can’t do either.

We play with no structure in attack and seem to be one of the laziest teams in the comp in terms of effort plays like getting back to marker, making tackles from marker, putting pressure on kickers, kick chase and getting back to help out after a kick. We do it sporadically and the good teams do it every play.

We also don’t seem to have a single player out there who is interested in putting their hand up and doing what it takes to win.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to another episode of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against the bulldogs this weekend! The only real creativity we have shown this season is inventing new ways to lose!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 4, 2022, 11:33 am Does anyone know if Steve Crawley from Fox/Telegraph is any relation to Mick Crawley our attack coach? I googled and there is a resemblance.

Anyway, I've never heard Steve Crawley criticise Ricky in the past or write something negative as they are mates and if he is related to our attack coach, should he be offering an opinion on the Canberra Raiders ?
Yes, i believe they are brothers.
samvucago
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Post by samvucago »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 4, 2022, 11:33 am Does anyone know if Steve Crawley from Fox/Telegraph is any relation to Mick Crawley our attack coach? I googled and there is a resemblance.

They are brothers . Hence the lack of criticism.
samvucago
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Post by samvucago »

They are brothers . Hence the lack of criticism.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Paul Crawley is the journalist. Steve Crawley the head of the Fox rugby league coverage. All brothers.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

julian87 wrote: May 3, 2022, 5:12 pm That's without doubt the worst 1-17 I've ever seen this club field on paper.
Form-wise maybe but certainly not ability-wise.

Or have you not been paying attention over the last 40 years?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Conor
Simon Woolford

Post by Conor »

pickles wrote:This is the NRL not some local footy club. The only thing that matters is wins and losses and no one means more to the club than that.

I am sure that this team can play better than what they have. They’ve done it for short periods of games before completely falling to pieces. This far into the season and we still haven’t put a good 80 minutes together. It just isn’t good enough at this level.

Good teams at the moment are doing 2 things well. Defending for long periods without conceding points when the inevitable run of 6 agains and penalties goes against them. And converting their scoring opportunities when they arise. At the moment we can’t do either.

We play with no structure in attack and seem to be one of the laziest teams in the comp in terms of effort plays like getting back to marker, making tackles from marker, putting pressure on kickers, kick chase and getting back to help out after a kick. We do it sporadically and the good teams do it every play.

We also don’t seem to have a single player out there who is interested in putting their hand up and doing what it takes to win.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to another episode of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory against the bulldogs this weekend! The only real creativity we have shown this season is inventing new ways to lose!
Totally agree with all this, especially the football side, except for one thing. For all intents and purposes the NRL is run like a local footy club.

With few exceptions, I reckon everyone involved in the NRL - central admin and across the clubs - has no business being involved in professional sport and the sport would be better served if they were working for their local club. Ideally for rugby league that would also be in a different code.

Essentially, we can not be a professional sport when the majority of stakeholders are amateurs and snake oil salesmen that got lucky, and have convinced themselves that they are not only good at their jobs and deserve their positions, but also that luck has nothing to do with it.

Again, with some exceptions, this whole unseemly business, with everyone in on the rort, underpins the relationships between the media and the football clubs, the coaches, and the agents.

In some respects players and fans probably have the most in common, as players are disposable and fans barely enter into the thinking of the establishment at all.

Local footy has its own problems and the NRL occasionally gets some things right, but that’s beside the point.

Anyway, sorry Pickles, I do agree with you (was picking up on the Crawley stuff as well).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

RedRaider wrote: May 3, 2022, 6:04 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 3, 2022, 5:01 pm
Junior wrote: May 3, 2022, 4:56 pm Would Adam Elliott be the biggest dummy half in history
Reckon Havili has him covered for weight. Elliott maybe taller.

EDIT: Piggy Riddell would have them all covered. :lol:
I'll go Mario Fenech as a contender as well.
Noel Kelly.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cotric to celebrate 100 games for the Raiders

Into his fifth season with the Canberra Raiders, Nick Cotric is set to play his 100th game for the club this Friday night at GIO Stadium.

“It means a lot to me to do it (play 100 games) at a club like this where it all started,” Cotric said. “I just want to get the win with the boys. It’s been a tough couple of weeks but hopefully we can work through this and come out the other side," Cotric said.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/05 ... e-raiders/

Paul Osborne to sound the Viking horn on Friday night: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/05 ... -bulldogs/

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Bulldogs: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35119

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/05 ... -bulldogs/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Matt Frawley: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/05 ... t-frawley/
Gmachine121
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Gmachine121 »

Invited to pay $500 haha nice … they are kidding
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

So which of you spuds are forking out to go see the Marvelous Canberra Raiders in " The Magic Round
" ?

This place is woke.