I wish our club was more like this

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Re: I wish our club was more like this

Post by Robert the Bruce »

gergreg wrote: May 13, 2022, 6:02 pm We don't have to become one of the most despised teams in the comp to be successful, we just need to be better in many many ways. Screwing over your players that have helped you win premierships isn't something I want our club to do.
I might be looking at this through "green eyes" but I feel like (glory days, also 2019) we have been the least despised successful team ever in Rugby League.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Billy Walker wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: May 13, 2022, 3:22 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Robert the Bruce wrote: May 12, 2022, 1:21 pm I feel like after 2019 we tried to be ruthless. Goodbye to Sezer and Joey. It just doesn’t work and we don’t have that freedom.

We need to keep recruiting from England. That avenue got a bit fried with the fallouts from Williams and Bateman, I blame mainly covid for that and we should have handled it better, but it’s not too late. The cold is in their blood and it isn’t a turn off for them, they also just want the opportunity to play.

I think as a base we need to develop kids from England like Rushton and Sutton, and also kids from the Canberra, Riverina, South Coast and Southern Tablelands. As much as our QLD contingent was important back in the day, it’s insane that there were 4 (?) hall of famers from the area that came through to add to that, being Daley, Stuart, Lazarus and Clyde.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daley, Stuart, Lazarus and Clyde were also young kids that easily could have ended up on a roof drinking cruisers if there weren’t strong systems, guidance and culture around them. It’s not like there hasn’t been plenty of talented young players since then but we certainly didn’t get the best out of many of them.
OK, let's be crystal clear here.

I can name half a dozen players from that era who repeatedly did far worse things than get busted DUI, piss on someone in a pub toilet or drink cruisers on the rooftop, compared to anything that happened over the past 20 years.

The difference is a) no social media back then and b) we were one of the best teams in the comp so nobody gave a rat's ass.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Seiff - reading over your comments on this thread you seem to be of the fairly strong view that we are on a plotted path we have no real control over and you seem ok with the path that will take us. I think you are the type of supporter that Ricky Stuart values highly.

I’m not as convinced we need to be resigned to eternal mediocrity and haven’t given up hope of seeing the team win more premierships.
What on earth makes you think I'm OK with the path we are on?

This year and last have been a disaster. Stuart has tried to repeat the success of 2019 with the same core squad and at least 6 or 7 players are past their prime.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

There is a gulf of difference between where and what the NRL is today, compared to the NSWRL/ARL in the late 80’s and early 90’s

I always see fans in these discussions reference those early great teams as if that means a damn thing in 2022, if any of what we did back that was replicable in todays climate

That’s the real problem with this club. Half the fans think we can and should get back to what we did in the 80’s and 90’s and don’t understand that fact we’ve operated this club largely the same as we have back then is precisely the problem, and that extends to the coach of current day

We as a club and as a fan base need to move on from the “glory” days, leave them in the past where they belong and move on. As pointed out, those 90’s teams (and all teams around that era) would make the kids today blush with the **** they got up to

Those teams were successful because they were highly skilled and well coached. Anyone telling you about their “culture” is a **** clown who clearly doesn’t have the faintest clue about what those boys got up to :lol:

Our culture in 2019 wasn’t much different to today. We simply had more talent and the game was still predicated around defence which suits Stuart
Times have changed
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: May 14, 2022, 10:00 am There is a gulf of difference between where and what the NRL is today, compared to the NSWRL/ARL in the late 80’s and early 90’s

I always see fans in these discussions reference those early great teams as if that means a damn thing in 2022, if any of what we did back that was replicable in todays climate

That’s the real problem with this club. Half the fans think we can and should get back to what we did in the 80’s and 90’s and don’t understand that fact we’ve operated this club largely the same as we have back then is precisely the problem, and that extends to the coach of current day

We as a club and as a fan base need to move on from the “glory” days, leave them in the past where they belong and move on. As pointed out, those 90’s teams (and all teams around that era) would make the kids today blush with the **** they got up to

Those teams were successful because they were highly skilled and well coached. Anyone telling you about their “culture” is a **** clown who clearly doesn’t have the faintest clue about what those boys got up to :lol:

Our culture in 2019 wasn’t much different to today. We simply had more talent and the game was still predicated around defence which suits Stuart
Times have changed
It's worse for Dragons fans. They still hold onto 11 consecutive premierships as the benchmark.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2022, 10:12 am
Botman wrote: May 14, 2022, 10:00 am There is a gulf of difference between where and what the NRL is today, compared to the NSWRL/ARL in the late 80’s and early 90’s

Times have changed
It's worse for Dragons fans. They still hold onto 11 consecutive premierships as the benchmark.
Sure, but they have at least won a premiership this millennium.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

CrabLord wrote: May 14, 2022, 12:43 pm
Northern Raider wrote: May 14, 2022, 10:12 am

Times have changed
Sure, but they have at least won a premiership this millennium.
Party time in Dragon land.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The raiders didn’t have an easy run in 80s or 90s. The manly bias was horrendous and Arko and Quail didn’t run the game in a way that favoured the raiders in any way. The climate was just as cold - in fact if you believe climate change you’d argue it was actually colder. Woodgers, video ezy and Canberra Milk weren’t bottomless pits of money. Mal didn’t grow up in Queanbeyan.

If you believe many of the posters on here raiders success isn’t possible. It’s a study in excuses that cover every known factor before delving into the weird undefined world of unconscious bias. It’s almost like we shouldn’t try but rather focus all our energy to get a player to a milestone number of games or 3rd on a point scoring list and then celebrate with all the enthusiasm that must endear us to other supporters and have them thinking- “oh aren’t they cute”.

I’ll tell you what has changed from the 80s and 90s in the club and the fans. In the 80s-90s there wasn’t so much hand wringing and complaining. Today we would be leading the NRL in excuses, sop stories and celebrated mediocrity. The administration, coaching, recruitment, cap management, professionalism and culture is terrible but hey what can you do right?? Just accept it, defend it and buy another green cap?
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

I wish our club was more like this

Post by Dusty »

I’ve mentioned it elsewhere

We should target
Angus Critchon and/or Liam Martin.

Scott Drinkwater

Sam Verrills

1. Savage
2. Cotric
3. Smith-Shields
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Verrils
10. Tapine
11. Critchon
12. Martin
13. Rushton

14. Starling
15. Young
16. Horsburgh
17. Hola

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Dusty on May 15, 2022, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Future signings need to be put before Millie Boyle.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.