Rabbitohs 13+
6%

Total votes: 16

julian87
Laurie Daley

Re: 2022 Rd 11 V Rabbitohs: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by julian87 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 17, 2022, 6:25 pm
julian87 wrote: May 17, 2022, 5:57 pm Picking Frawley at 7 at this point is a blatantly obvious selection imo. Schneider should be proud of his initial NRL effort but if we're being honest the team has really struggled largely due to no quality output from him honestly.
I think he's tried hard w/o much football in two years. Remember he was pitched in close to the season opener and it's been a steep learning curve. There's some areas of his game that he could work on. Had some forgettable games v Nth Qld and Warriors, particularly dropping that sitter bomb with 3 mins to go. Blaming him is a bit unfair - the forwards haven't really given him the metres. You cannot expect a rookie to game manage us to victory. But needs to improve decision making as I noticed at times on the weekend he was slow in considering what to do and it doesn't come naturally for him.
I'm not blaming him at all. Just saying he's had his stint and we can be honest in saying he had a crack but didn't offer much as a halfback where it counts; in attack. He's made a good fist of it and I wouldn't say a bad word about him. Youre right the whole team has been whack so that didn't help him at all.

Hopefully he goes back and progresses even further in some reserve grade footy now.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: May 17, 2022, 8:56 pm
RedRaider wrote: May 17, 2022, 8:30 pm I can't see Brad Schneider selected in any grade. Another with the Flu??
See story above. Ricky says he’s resting him.
Thanks GE. I went back and read the article again with Sticky talking of Brad Schneiders physical and mental load and 'rewarding' him by not selecting him. Possibly carrying an injury, after 10 weeks straight in FG that is highly likely for the 21 year old. Against Cronulla was the first week I can recall that he wasn't smashed by a rushing defender. Hopefully the week off will give him time to correct the reasons for the 'resting'. I am a fan of the young man.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Some thoughts on the sides:

* I agree with Stuart that Frawley is the right move, but I am interested to see if he lines up on the left side. The last time he and Wighton played in the halves was Cowboys away - granted, our whole team was horrible that night, but we did struggle with cohesion in attack, and Frawley really struggled with his timing on the right. It is not easy being a left footed kicker on that side. Schneider can be very proud of his effort in first grade, he should use this opportunity to (eventually) rack up some Try Assists (particularly from kicks) in Reserves.
* I am really hoping our back 3 continue their good form with ball in hand and defusing kicks. They are a Grand Final back 3, and need to play like it week in week out - help our forwards save some energy defensively. Speaking of which, our middle forwards defended extremely well against the Sharks, often ending up on either side of the field to shut something down. I would rather that than a second rower going to the middle, which has been the cause of a lot of leaked points for us on the next play (with a less mobile middle forward being forced to cover second row).
* Souths are extremely vulnerable. We really need to target the Paulo/Milne combination, I actually think it is the worst defensive combination in the league. Their go forward will rely heavily on Tetola, who was their MOM last week. Target Taffe, and drive him back in tackles, they really should struggle for go forward from their back 3 if we play it smart, they don’t have yardage in the forwards to make up for it. We should aim to win the territory battle, and frustrate Walker into going for a big play to come out of yardage.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

TongueFTW wrote: May 18, 2022, 7:58 am Some thoughts on the sides:

* I agree with Stuart that Frawley is the right move, but I am interested to see if he lines up on the left side. The last time he and Wighton played in the halves was Cowboys away - granted, our whole team was horrible that night, but we did struggle with cohesion in attack, and Frawley really struggled with his timing on the right. It is not easy being a left footed kicker on that side. Schneider can be very proud of his effort in first grade, he should use this opportunity to (eventually) rack up some Try Assists (particularly from kicks) in Reserves.
* I am really hoping our back 3 continue their good form with ball in hand and defusing kicks. They are a Grand Final back 3, and need to play like it week in week out - help our forwards save some energy defensively. Speaking of which, our middle forwards defended extremely well against the Sharks, often ending up on either side of the field to shut something down. I would rather that than a second rower going to the middle, which has been the cause of a lot of leaked points for us on the next play (with a less mobile middle forward being forced to cover second row).
* Souths are extremely vulnerable. We really need to target the Paulo/Milne combination, I actually think it is the worst defensive combination in the league. Their go forward will rely heavily on Tetola, who was their MOM last week. Target Taffe, and drive him back in tackles, they really should struggle for go forward from their back 3 if we play it smart, they don’t have yardage in the forwards to make up for it. We should aim to win the territory battle, and frustrate Walker into going for a big play to come out of yardage.
I'd like to see a bit of Frawley first receiver, Jack second on the left. A bit like the sweep he used to run as FB. Gives the defence a lot more to think about if halves aren't strictly split and Frawley might genuinely run, pass short to backrow or is capable of grubbering if they jam up.

Cotric back in form was a huge difference to us getting that Raiders roll on with him and Rapana feeding off each others runs. A couple of those then find Jack with a bit of space. We'll be a better team if Cotric maintains that standard like he used to.

Looking forward to this week! Should be a good contest.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart answers the Xavier Savage question every Canberra Raiders fan wants to know

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has revealed how exciting young player Xavier Savage can get more minutes, with a message for fans impatient to see the talented back let loose in the NRL.

"I'm as keen as our fans to get Xavier on the field," Stuart said. "But Xavier has to keep buying in - to committing to do more. I want to get him more game-time. Xavier just has to keep committing to do the extras - like video work.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Watch the damn video Xavier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Dusty wrote: May 18, 2022, 6:12 pm Watch the damn video Xavier
Yep, C'mon Xavier. Take one for the team here. Somebody has to watch Sticky's home movies. May as well be you.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just to put in a bit more context… Ricky says he wants to see more Savage on the field, needs to learn more about positional play, game awareness, not far away.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: May 18, 2022, 6:27 pm Just to put in a bit more context… Ricky says he wants to see more Savage on the field, needs to learn more about positional play, game awareness, not far away.
It's BS. Ricky it's not the 80s. Throw him in the deep end and stop trying to coach the ability out of the young guys.

There are 3 or 4 young guys that should have played or be playing.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Matt wrote: May 18, 2022, 7:19 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 18, 2022, 6:27 pm Just to put in a bit more context… Ricky says he wants to see more Savage on the field, needs to learn more about positional play, game awareness, not far away.
It's BS. Ricky it's not the 80s. Throw him in the deep end and stop trying to coach the ability out of the young guys.

Can't say I agree with that sentiment Matt. If anything Ricky's treating him like it's not the 80's. Clearly Ricky is trying to show him there's more to being a fullback than just being able to run fast. Not sure how that's "coaching ability out of him", if he's trying to add to it.

Not saying I necessarily agree with Ricky not playing him, or playing him off the bench for 5 mins, but wanting him to learn more about positional play and game awareness, and dedication to training and preparation isn't a bad thing.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Last year when savage got his opportunity through depth issues, he looked good. He looked like he was playing freely. He has spent the off-season getting told he’s not ready. He’s not good enough yet. When he has been in the field he looks uncertain if his role, and plays tight, lacks that confidence he had last year.

That may not be coaching out the skills, but it goes a long way to knocking the confidence out of a rookie.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

julian87 wrote: May 17, 2022, 5:57 pm Picking Frawley at 7 at this point is a blatantly obvious selection imo. Schneider should be proud of his initial NRL effort but if we're being honest the team has really struggled largely due to no quality output from him honestly.
not a great take imo. He was still there in the same spot when we won games. Our problems have been varied, but our biggest problem is at hooker. The distribution from there has been woeful which affects everyone.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:Ricky Stuart answers the Xavier Savage question every Canberra Raiders fan wants to know

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has revealed how exciting young player Xavier Savage can get more minutes, with a message for fans impatient to see the talented back let loose in the NRL.

"I'm as keen as our fans to get Xavier on the field," Stuart said. "But Xavier has to keep buying in - to committing to do more. I want to get him more game-time. Xavier just has to keep committing to do the extras - like video work.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Exactly as I thought.

Quite remarkable that a coach has publicly called him out on it.

Good on Stuart. Savage's performances are well below what the fans on here would lead you to believe.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

The talk about Savage is still a bit unhinged. If he doesn't play it Ricky's fault, if he does play (but not well) it is also Ricky's fault. When he plays well one day it will be in spite of Ricky.

He is no different to all of the other slight, young, inexperienced (but fast) fullbacks. Think Sloan at Dragons, Campbell at Titans. He might last a week or two in first grade and look ok, but then will break down injured or look flat. He will also get targeted on the goal line when he has to play in the front line. Look at the replay of master plodder Jarrod Wallace steamrolling Sloan to score on the weekend. That is the reality for Savage atm. He needs some game time this year, prob winger next year, and he might be ready for the FB role (if he applies himself) in 24
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Agree, boomercm.

I don't see anything about Savage that demands NRL selection.

And frankly, some of the comments above are asinine.

Savage has speed. That's about it. He needs time to develop.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Matt wrote:

Yep, that's exactly the culture we're after...

C'mon now Matthew.

What would Craig Bellamy do?

Exactly what Stuart is doing.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

he had to put him on 10mins to go last week, both sides were walking and he could have lit them up easy. Luckily Zac W hadn't been coached to grind.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I said in the off season that very little that I had seen of Savage suggested to me that he was demanding first grade selection, or even that he would have a first grade career, and very little I have seen of him since says otherwise.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Coastalraider wrote: May 18, 2022, 7:46 pm Last year when savage got his opportunity through depth issues, he looked good. He looked like he was playing freely. He has spent the off-season getting told he’s not ready. He’s not good enough yet. When he has been in the field he looks uncertain if his role, and plays tight, lacks that confidence he had last year.

That may not be coaching out the skills, but it goes a long way to knocking the confidence out of a rookie.
Not that I necessarily agree with the idea of just throwing Savage in the deep end but this observation is what I see too. I swear he would've caught that intercept and run the length of the field against NZ if he wasn't second-guessing himself.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

bonehead wrote: May 18, 2022, 8:25 pm he had to put him on 10mins to go last week, both sides were walking and he could have lit them up easy. Luckily Zac W hadn't been coached to grind.

Mind you they play different positions
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

T_R wrote:I said in the off season that very little that I had seen of Savage suggested to me that he was demanding first grade selection, or even that he would have a first grade career, and very little I have seen of him since says otherwise.
Reminds me of Jermaine ale
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Azza wrote: May 18, 2022, 9:35 pm
T_R wrote:I said in the off season that very little that I had seen of Savage suggested to me that he was demanding first grade selection, or even that he would have a first grade career, and very little I have seen of him since says otherwise.
Reminds me of Jermaine ale
Would you sign a lifetime deal with Ale or Botman? I remind you - we can't drop Botman from the GH.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Is Xavier Savage the only player who deserves to be called out for public criticism from the coach this year? Twice? There are a host of players who have underperformed so far in 2022, but the coach has taken almost extreme measures to avoid criticising individual players. And the team as a whole. All except Savage. Perhaps he thinks that’s what is needed… maybe it is. But I can think of a number of players who’d be in front of Savage in that queue.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

T_R wrote: May 18, 2022, 8:43 pm I said in the off season that very little that I had seen of Savage suggested to me that he was demanding first grade selection, or even that he would have a first grade career, and very little I have seen of him since says otherwise.
Needs to be playing on the wing.

He may be a fullback. A fair way to go until he's decent one in FG though.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

greeneyed wrote: May 19, 2022, 12:38 am Is Xavier Savage the only player who deserves to be called out for public criticism from the coach this year? Twice? There are a host of players who have underperformed so far in 2022, but the coach has taken almost extreme measures to avoid criticising individual players. And the team as a whole. All except Savage. Perhaps he thinks that’s what is needed… maybe it is. But I can think of a number of players who’d be in front of Savage in that queue.
Only 2 reasons to call out players in the media.
1. The coach has exhausted all options to change the players behaviors,
2. Reduce fan expectations on the player.

This sounds more like option 2 because if it was option 1 he wouldn't be on the bench.
Personally I thought he needed to play reserve grade at fullback until he was capable of doing it in the NRL, I think Stuart listened to the fan base to play him when he wasn't ready which has put him in this in-between backup bench role. Perhaps it's better for his development but I think he needs to play reserve grade personally.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Is Xavier Savage the only player who deserves to be called out for public criticism from the coach this year? Twice? There are a host of players who have underperformed so far in 2022, but the coach has taken almost extreme measures to avoid criticising individual players. And the team as a whole. All except Savage. Perhaps he thinks that’s what is needed… maybe it is. But I can think of a number of players who’d be in front of Savage in that queue.
When the coach calls out Savage as not ready he’s taking a direct shot at the fans, it’s clear as day
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:
bonehead wrote: May 18, 2022, 8:25 pm he had to put him on 10mins to go last week, both sides were walking and he could have lit them up easy. Luckily Zac W hadn't been coached to grind.

Mind you they play different positions
not instead of Zac

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: May 19, 2022, 12:38 am Is Xavier Savage the only player who deserves to be called out for public criticism from the coach this year? Twice? There are a host of players who have underperformed so far in 2022, but the coach has taken almost extreme measures to avoid criticising individual players. And the team as a whole. All except Savage. Perhaps he thinks that’s what is needed… maybe it is. But I can think of a number of players who’d be in front of Savage in that queue.
It's really weird. Ricky is responding to external pressure on himself by heaping pressure on the young player he is "protecting". Publicly.

Not the usual path.

Savage does look full of doubt and inhibited compared to last year/pre season. If he's got a coach in his ear constantly telling him he can't play, he makes too many errors then all you have in your head rattling around is "error".
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

We're drawing a lot of string from a very short bow.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: May 19, 2022, 11:02 am We're drawing a lot of string from a very short bow.
You are
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Rick is a boomer who has a poor grasp of modern rugby league. We will get rid of him eventually but not before he sucks the natural footballing instincts out of a few more up and comers…
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

afgtnk wrote: May 19, 2022, 1:41 am
T_R wrote: May 18, 2022, 8:43 pm I said in the off season that very little that I had seen of Savage suggested to me that he was demanding first grade selection, or even that he would have a first grade career, and very little I have seen of him since says otherwise.
Needs to be playing on the wing.

He may be a fullback. A fair way to go until he's decent one in FG though.
I thought you'd know better. Wing is a different skillset to fullback. Savage moves like a fullback and is built like one. You wouldn't put Sloane, Walsh or Campbell on the wing. Same goes for Savage

Unbelievable people feeling vindicated about Savage's trajectory this year. He looked amazing last year, if you couldn't see that then that's nothing to boast about

Seems this year is about his defence and his application off the field. Nothing to do with his raw ability, which everyone (so I thought) could see
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 19, 2022, 12:34 pm
Unbelievable people feeling vindicated about Savage's trajectory this year. He looked amazing last year, if you couldn't see that then that's nothing to boast about

Seems this year is about his defence and his application off the field. Nothing to do with his raw ability, which everyone (so I thought) could see
I guess that was in response to me. He had some good touches in first grade, for sure. Week in and week out in reserves? Was a complete liability.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 18, 2022, 8:13 pm
Matt wrote:

Yep, that's exactly the culture we're after...

C'mon now Matthew.

What would Craig Bellamy do?

Exactly what Stuart is doing.

Bellamy plays the kids every single time. He expects them to play the roll of the guy ahead if him. "Next man up" is the Storm philosophy. They train that way, so they are ready to do it. None of this "pick the experienced guy coz the rookie might make an error".

Ricky tells them they aren't able to do stuff - and in Savages case, has called him out publicly twice. He simplifies everything. Savage, with freedom last yr, looked money. This yr, he looks like a caged animal.