Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: 2022 Rd 12 V Eels: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Rickmando »

yeh raiders wrote: May 24, 2022, 5:07 pm
The Nickman wrote: May 24, 2022, 4:59 pm
Rickmando wrote: May 24, 2022, 4:56 pm
Botman wrote: May 24, 2022, 4:29 pm I thought Croker looked pretty good in his one game but I don’t think Kris deserved to get dropped or demoted after his last two performances

Kris in at centre and CHN in over Elliott would be the only changes I’d make to that team
It’s just that it’s so often cited “Rick doesn’t change winning teams” as justification for him keeping spuds in there week to week.

Yet now, when we’ve actually had two good wins on the bounce (and haven’t exactly done a whole lot of winning outside of that), we make changes? First CHN out of last week’s team, now Kris out of this one? Are there double standards at play??
Haven't we won three in a row and our first win was when Croker and CNK both came back?
It was against the Bulldogs, it doesn’t count.
That game was so bad - I’d completely blanked it from my memory.

But yes, you’re technically correct there Nickmando
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I'm happy that we will see the halves we had planned to play in 2022 in the 6 and 7 this week for their first competition game together. I'm also happy that Savage is in the No.1 this week. I am surprised that JC is back given the shoulder injury he suffered. His goal kicking will be welcome and I think the Eels will have a plan for him and our 1 and 7. That said, winning form is good form and we are looking at four in a row should we beat the Eels.

I don't know what the issue with CHN is. He was fit enough to play NSW Cup on the weekend but is again not in the 17 against Parramatta. Glad that Seb Kris was kept in the 17 and that Sutton will be there to play the tough carry game when Taps and Papa are rested. Horspower produced a magic flick pass in the lead up to the Kris try against Souths. Here's hoping that skill level will be seen again this week.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders' Jamal Fogarty, Jarrod Croker return for Green Machine with Xavier Savage replacing Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

The wait is over for Raiders fans desperate to see Jamal Fogarty make his long-awaited Raiders debut, with the star halfback recruit finally overcoming his pre-season injury setback. He's not the only high-profile Raider returning to the side with co-captain Jarrod Croker cleared to play again.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Connecting with Culture: Raiders embrace 2022 Indigenous Round: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/05 ... ous-round/

VIDEO: NRL teams: Raiders v Eels: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/05/24/raiders-v-eels/
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Re: 2022 Rd 12 V Eels: Teams and Previews

Post by Lui_Bon »

gergreg wrote: May 24, 2022, 4:39 pm
-PJ- wrote:Who the hell is Todd Smith ?
He's the ranga. I think he's actually not too bad. Good flow to his games.
I thought he was Hors' little brother
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Rickmando wrote: May 24, 2022, 5:42 pm
Makaveli wrote: May 24, 2022, 5:15 pm What's better? Fogarty back or Valemei nowhere near first grade?

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
Both are +EV moves
Got real El Paso ad girl energy for this question
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I too am not a fan of no CHN.

It is rough on Kris to an extent. He's been treated poorly selection wise this season. But I do have to say I think he is the perfect bench utility. He has proven he can come on and add energy in the pack. And he covers an injury or HIA in the backline. The only thing that's not really covered is the halves but we don't have a Watson/Peachey that does that.

I think rugby league fans and pundits really still don't value how key great bench players are. I reckon Kris is probably a better centre than Croker now. But I think Croker at centre and Kris as the utility bench player is a better combination than Kris at centre and Schneider/Frawley/Croker/random outside back on the bench.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I do feel for Kris. He has been in good form. I am still a little concerned over Timoko defensively. Hopefully, he improves.

Cannot wait to see how Fogarty goes and I hope he and Jack play well and help us get over the advantage line.

Savage playing his first full game of the year......hope the kid kills it. We know he has speed in buckets, its the rest of his game that needs work. And you can bet Moses will be testing him out.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Good side.

Looking forward to seeing CHN force his way back in. I am quietly confident Stuart has a plan for him to improve his effort plays.

He's certainly better than Whitehead as a second rower.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Yea it's harsh on CHN but dropping someone after probably our best collective forwards performance in a couple of years would be just as harsh.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

radicalraider wrote: May 24, 2022, 4:47 pm Ricky must know CHN is off to the dolphins
Surely he has signed with another team, Ricky doing a Sutton on him
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

julian87 wrote: May 24, 2022, 6:28 pm I too am not a fan of no CHN.

It is rough on Kris to an extent. He's been treated poorly selection wise this season. But I do have to say I think he is the perfect bench utility. He has proven he can come on and add energy in the pack. And he covers an injury or HIA in the backline. The only thing that's not really covered is the halves but we don't have a Watson/Peachey that does that.

I think rugby league fans and pundits really still don't value how key great bench players are. I reckon Kris is probably a better centre than Croker now. But I think Croker at centre and Kris as the utility bench player is a better combination than Kris at centre and Schneider/Frawley/Croker/random outside back on the bench.
Kris hasn't shown any value as an interchange second rower IMO. Just because he can slot in there at a pinch doesn't mean he's going to give you NRL quality output. Kris has also been a shocker on the wing - so I reckon he only covers centre at a decent level.

The Croker thing is just weird. He has to do 6 weeks service in NSW Cup to prove he isn't injury prone, comes back and gets injured and is then straight back in once that one heals. Seems like it confirmed the hypothesis, but the hypothesis is now out the window :lol:

CHN just isn't that good. He's about your league average second rower. Better than Whitehead but too inconsistent to be the world beater some here suggest he is.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on May 24, 2022, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

To be fair CHN is lazy and doesn't like to do the 1%ers.. whitehead works harder
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Bench players are useful if used properly. I don't expect to see Ricky use Kris much at all. So I think it's a poor selection, Kris is going better than Croker and is younger, with more improving to do. Why suddenly break with not changing a good thing now? It's not like Croker has any incumbency rights- played 1 game this season that was ok, but no more than that. Kris has been stuffed around in selection since he debuted.

I guess we are picking Croker for his kicking? I wonder when Fog will be up to speed in that area again?

Whitehead is scraping by on his wits more than anything these days although as captain I expect him to see out the season come what may. Which makes our resigning of CHN for 3 years weird- he'd be on significant $$$ but we'll play him in reggies?

Still, there's a bit of interest there with the return of the Fog and Savage at FB. I expect Moses to give him a thorough working over with his kicking game, Xaviour will really be tested there.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Crusader wrote: May 24, 2022, 7:21 pm
radicalraider wrote: May 24, 2022, 4:47 pm Ricky must know CHN is off to the dolphins
Contracted to us until end 2025... we resigned him 2 months ago.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 24, 2022, 7:24 pm

Kris hasn't shown any value as an interchange second rower IMO. Just because he can slot in there at a pinch doesn't mean he's going to give you NRL quality output. Kris has also been a shocker on the wing - so I reckon he only covers centre at a decent level.

The Croker thing is just weird. He has to do 6 weeks service in NSW Cup to prove he isn't injury prone, comes back and gets injured and is then straight back in once that one heals. Seems like it confirmed the hypothesis, but the hypothesis is now out the window :lol:

CHN just isn't that good. He's about your league average second rower. Better than Whitehead but too inconsistent to be the world beater some here suggest he is.
Kris' entry to NRL showed he could play well as a high energy middle at the back end of games. Souths 2019 is my main memory. And he also looked great as a starting second rower before him and James knocked each other out.

And yep he sort of only covers centre. But Croker by default covers wing and Rapana fullback.

No one here is suggesting CHN is a world beater but he's a proven very good attacking backrower imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: May 24, 2022, 7:24 pm

Dont think anyone thinks CHN is a world beater. But he is very clearly our best edge forward. Which is a low bar to clear right now.

its been a very small sample size but i've liked what Kris has put on the field in EXTREMELY limited minutes at edge forward. I feel pretty good about him playing there myself, but again i'd stress i dont think he deserved to be demoted for Croker
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

I think savage will play 60mins, rapana to fullback and kris comes in, im loving the woolford/starling Sub, both add energy, also notice tapine stays on if papa off, for maybe 10 more mins, it was bad taking them off at the same time, i wasnt sure about fogs rushing in but if he is starting right away then he must be surely ready, hope he kills it, croker adds maturity to the team, he could also play a 60min role for seb to come in, parra have a heavy bench, I think this is a battle of the fowards, should be a big crowd, a win would be huge for the confidence, if we get thrashed then the last 3 win meant nothing, I think we will be up for it, Raiders by 8
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

OK with the team, feel for CHN and Kris. I think CHN is better than Elliott Whitehead and Adam Elliott.
Will be close so may need Croker's kicking. Penisini is slippery though. Parra have a great pack and big boppers on the bench as well. Matterson, Paulo, Papalii', Moses, Dylan Brown and Gutherson have played well in the games that I've watched them play this year. Niukore is a beast. We needed Sutton back.

This could be the turning point of our season and besides Hodgson, very close to the team that we wanted to start with. Look forward to Savage killing it and seeing the Fog play. It's a shame CHN is not on the right hand side attack.

We should be confident with our players coming into form and playing at home.
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

BadnMean wrote: May 24, 2022, 7:27 pm
Crusader wrote: May 24, 2022, 7:21 pm
Now im really confused

Contracted to us until end 2025... we resigned him 2 months ago.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

One thing I liked in the last few weeks is Kris contesting bombs and putting their fullback or winger under pressure. Hope Croker scores from a kick or two on Sunday.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

I actually thought Whitehead looked a bit flashy with the ball in hand on the weekend.

Hopefully he’s finding some form.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

President Clinton wrote: May 24, 2022, 7:38 pm I actually thought Whitehead looked a bit flashy with the ball in hand on the weekend.

Hopefully he’s finding some form.
He's still quite a skillful player and is IMO pretty effective. The trouble is he cant sustain it for the minutes required that makes him a viable edge forward. Its not his skills that are the problem, its his motor. And by this stage of the season im not sure we can bank on it just being a lazy off season (which he's been known to have! He's a slow starter and i suspect he's not the most committed off field player im regards to his cardio) and playing his way into shape.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 24, 2022, 7:34 pm OK with the team, feel for CHN and Kris. I think CHN is better than Elliott Whitehead and Adam Elliott.
Will be close so may need Croker's kicking. Penisini is slippery though. Parra have a great pack and big boppers on the bench as well. Matterson, Paulo, Papalii', Moses, Dylan Brown and Gutherson have played well in the games that I've watched them play this year. Niukore is a beast. We needed Sutton back.

This could be the turning point of our season and besides Hodgson, very close to the team that we wanted to start with. Look forward to Savage killing it and seeing the Fog play. It's a shame CHN is not on the right hand side attack.

We should be confident with our players coming into form and playing at home.
A slippery penisini can definitely get you in trouble….
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue

Post by Westsydneyraider »

I reckon CHN has been dropped cos his defensive efforts, he’s been found out a few times this year being lazy back on the inside.

After last weeks win the one thing that sticky said in the presser that resonated with me was how dirty he was that we conceded 2 tries off individual missed tackles ( or something to that extent ) and then proceeded to say how we should have kept south’s to nil….
I could be wrong here but that’s how I’m reading it.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Matty johns on his podcast.. "Ricky must've sat down 4 weeks ago and said this isn't working... and changed the way they play and now it's working and the players look happier.."
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

I’m not sure if anything’s changed drastically but we are finally getting over the advantage line which is allowing us to play that short passing game between the forwards without dropping it all the time
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

With all the changes to the squad I don't necessarily expect us to win on the weekend but carrying on with the momentum we've shown over the last couple of weeks and putting in a very competitive performance would be encouraging.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: The Croker thing is just weird. He has to do 6 weeks service in NSW Cup to prove he isn't injury prone, comes back and gets injured and is then straight back in once that one heals. Seems like it confirmed the hypothesis, but the hypothesis is now out the window :lol:
Don’t think it was to do with proving he wasn’t injury prone. It was proving he was sufficiently able bodied to perform at NRL standard after the surgery. Shoulder injury doesn’t impact that concern.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

We need to win this weekend. Simple as that. If we do, I can see us beating the Roosters, and going on a long winning streak much like 2016. Call me an optimist or mad, but we have always been a confidence team and I compared 2016 first ten rounds to this year - they are very similar and we weren't crash hot in the first ten rounds of 2016.

Savage and the Fog are critical as they now offer another two additional points of attack to Jack. Germ Jnr is exactly what we needed.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I think this is a very strong side, about as strong as we could hope for, after the news about CNK - six weeks was an awful shock after Ricky had said 1-2.

It is harsh on Kris, but Croker did a great job in the Bulldogs match before he was injured and I don't at all think it's a coincidence that the spark came back into the side after he returned and that Cotric started playing better immediately.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

raiderskater wrote: May 24, 2022, 9:04 pm I think this is a very strong side, about as strong as we could hope for, after the news about CNK - six weeks was an awful shock after Ricky had said 1-2.

It is harsh on Kris, but Croker did a great job in the Bulldogs match before he was injured and I don't at all think it's a coincidence that the spark came back into the side after he returned and that Cotric started playing better immediately.
I don’t think it’s a six week injury. For the last 3-4 years the team seems to add a week or so onto the recovery times. Jamal wasn’t due back until round 15-17, for example.

In the six weeks listed for CNK there is also our bye round.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 24, 2022, 7:34 pm OK with the team, feel for CHN and Kris. I think CHN is better than Elliott Whitehead and Adam Elliott.
If Parra get a backline injury I reckon they're a bit stuffed. They have no-one on the bench and no-one in the pack who could cover well. Fingers crossed.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

raiderskater wrote: May 24, 2022, 9:04 pm I think this is a very strong side, about as strong as we could hope for, after the news about CNK - six weeks was an awful shock after Ricky had said 1-2.

But Cotric played just as well or better when Kris was alongside him- they grew up playing together in the same teams.

I'd also say Kris has made more breaks, scored more tries and missed less tackles than Croker. Same threat in the air and kick chase, stronger and faster. He deserved the spot. I Croker was solid v the Dogs, great is a stretch.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Crusader wrote: May 24, 2022, 7:34 pm also notice tapine stays on if papa off, for maybe 10 more mins, it was bad taking them off at the same time
I wondered if that was a ploy by Stuart for Tarps to show that he was going all-in for Papa's 250, rather than a pattern of selection. It looked dodgy after Tapine's error in about the 37th minute (at a guess) but he kept on through the evident fatigue.

However I think it was more of a one-off than a long term strategy. Time will tell. Earlier in the season Papa stayed on for 25 minutes and Joe for less.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Stuart’s done that more than once recently. He has said the team loses too much momentum taking Papalii and Tapine off at the same time. He’s right.