Total votes: 9

Greenev
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: 2022 Rd 12 V Eels: Game Day

Post by Greenev »

benda wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:08 pm Positives
- i think we are improving... we now belong in top 8
- fogs is going to be good. Decent kicking game and knows how to straighten the line. Obviously rusty.
- our forwards dominated theirs today
- woolford will be better and better

Improvement areas
- savage did ok... but this is the big league now. Must harden up and hold the ball properly. Not schoolyard footy.
- attack is terrible. No tries from actual line breaks. When we get the ball inside the opp 10 we are guaranteed not to score. Do we actually coach attack ??????? Its really really bad.

Good news is i think most of this is fixable soon if the team are working hard to address.
Hey thats harsh.. we can score in the opp 10 when we crash play to one of our forwards!
I would of swapped fogs and savage around as well
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

radicalraider wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:09 pm We missed CHNs flair
True and good point actually. Today's game is the perfect example of why we just can't afford to drop someone like CHN. Unless it's for disciplinary reasons, we are in no position to drop an attacking threat like him
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:12 pm
radicalraider wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:09 pm We missed CHNs flair
True and good point actually. Today's game is the perfect example of why we just can't afford to drop someone like CHN. Unless it's for disciplinary reasons, we are in no position to drop an attacking threat like him
Sit down for this one fellas, it'll shock you but I 100% agree with you both

we're not good enough or creative enough to drop one of our best attacking threats inside the 20.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Rookie fullback, rookie dummy half, halfback coming back from injury to make his club debut and a 5/8 who busted is ass out there.

8 point loss to the 2nd or 3rd best team in the comp. Fair result, really.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:19 pm Rookie fullback, rookie dummy half, halfback coming back from injury to make his club debut and a 5/8 who busted is ass out there.

8 point loss to the 2nd or 3rd best team in the comp. Fair result, really.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
The effort was there and the players will only get better. Time to build on this.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

We’re a 9th to 8th team at best.
That’s with the weakest top 8 I can remember…
91% completion rate at one point and we were down by 8…I recall a similar stat in another game earlier in the year..
If your happy with that then kudos to you.
In reality, a team playing for the premiership in 2019 should never have fallen this low this quickly…
The irony of today is reading posts about how Parra are a good team when in the pre season when I made that point, I got yelled down as if it were an outlandish comment to make…
It’s amazing what a massive drop off in standard our SuperCoach has allowed people to accept without question…
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Dylan Brown powers Parramatta Eels past the Canberra Raiders

A Dylan Brown-powered Parramatta ended the Canberra Raiders' three-game winning streak as the former Raider also contributed to the home side's downfall. Off the back of Brown's brilliance, the Eels were too good, winning 28-20 at Canberra Stadium on Sunday.

PARRAMATTA EELS 28 (Bailey Simonsson 2, Dylan Brown 2, Will Penisini tries; Mitchell Moses 4 goals) bt CANBERRA RAIDERS 20 (Sebastian Kris 2, Elliott Whitehead tries; Jamal Fogarty 4 goals) at Canberra Stadium. Referee: Todd Smith. Crowd: 16,244.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Jamal Fogarty's Canberra Raiders debut shows playmaking promise in loss to Parramatta Eels

Jamal Fogarty had to wait a bit longer to make his Raiders debut than he would have wanted, but in Round 12 the halfback finally make his return from a pre-season injury, and he looked right at home on Sunday.

The former Titan showed his experience against the Eels and added another dimension to their last-tackle options alongside Jack Wighton's kicking game. Fogarty finished 3/3 in conversion attempts and one penalty goal.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

MATCH REPORT: Brown stars as Eels overpower Raiders in absorbing win: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/05/29/bro ... rbing-win/

MATCH REPORT: Raiders fall short in Indigenous Round: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/05 ... ous-round/

Brown stuns as Eels star ‘haunts’ ex-club; brave Raiders duo lead the way: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ac0ff9621e

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Raiders v Eels: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/05/29/mat ... rs-v-eels/

GALLERY: Raiders v Eels: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/n ... =775738523

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/05 ... rs-v-eels/

PRESS CONFERENCES: Canberra Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... -round-12/

Parramatta Eels: https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telst ... -round-12/
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Super coach and the club has dummed down its supporter base with a myriad of excuses, the CT has dummed down its audience and the club has dummed down the youth with that stupid Viking clap.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Did Bailey only play under Rocky, that bloke looked like a machine today.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Does wear his shorts to high for my liking though.

This place is woke.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

By no means disgraced ourselves but pretty sobering that that's all our attack could throw. Shows where we really are as a 8th-12th place team but going no where higher. Also shows what we could be if we had a coach who could implement something other than one out hit ups for 5 tackles.

Just a sobering experience tonight. No means disgusted but we aren't going places under the current regime. Other teams are a lot better than us
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Question wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:35 pm Did Bailey only play under Rocky, that bloke looked like a machine today.

He's been pretty ordinary most of the year with Parra, Q
He was on fire today though! :lol:
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Nothing like a close up reminder of the cesspit you crawled out of to make you never want to go back.

By that I mean the club not the area.

Last edited by Off on May 29, 2022, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This place is woke.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

benda wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:08 pm Positives
- i think we are improving... we now belong in top 8
- fogs is going to be good. Decent kicking game and knows how to straighten the line. Obviously rusty.
- our forwards dominated theirs today
- woolford will be better and better

Improvement areas
- savage did ok... but this is the big league now. Must harden up and hold the ball properly. Not schoolyard footy.
- attack is terrible. No tries from actual line breaks. When we get the ball inside the opp 10 we are guaranteed not to score. Do we actually coach attack ??????? Its really really bad.

Good news is i think most of this is fixable soon if the team are working hard to address.
If the attack is so fixable, why has it been a glaring problem for 6 years?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Raider47 wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:42 pm By no means disgraced ourselves but pretty sobering that that's all our attack could throw. Shows where we really are as a 8th-12th place team but going no where higher. Also shows what we could be if we had a coach who could implement something other than one out hit ups for 5 tackles.

Just a sobering experience tonight. No means disgusted but we aren't going places under the current regime. Other teams are a lot better than us
Completely agree. Attack inside the 20 m zone has been bad since 2019. We don't throw much at the opposition. This game reminded me of the 2019 GF a bit when we had all the ball but couldn't score in the second half, Parra made 2 breaks for 2 tries. I thought Crawley was supposed to improve our attack?

I thought our defence was poor in the first half. Shouldn't have allowed the Brown try and Penisini's was a gift. Brown and Simonsson were killing us.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Rocky has a plan we will be able to apply structured sustained pressure inside the 20 in 2032.

This place is woke.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

It was a much better performance that we looked capable of only a month or so ago. Tapine and Papalii were immense as always, and the injection of Woolford seems to have really helped Elliot, Horsburgh, Young and Sutton as well. We took a high quality pack and on balance won the battle up front.

It wasn't a great first outing for Jamal in green, but hopefully he gets up to speed quickly. I thought Savage was a clear pass mark, he's raw and it's going to be a bumpy road for at least a while, but you do see glimpses of how the addition of genuine speed can really make a difference to this team. We have to roll the dice on his upside, IMO.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

So wighton most likely won't play origin 1.. missing papalii.. no ted and tupou.. roosters will still win
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

By the length of the straight.

This place is woke.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

radicalraider wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:56 pm So wighton most likely won't play origin 1.. missing papalii.. no ted and tupou.. roosters will still win
And nor should he. He’s having a pretty lousy year - eating up a lot of cap space and time on the ball in a key position.

Let’s be honest - he’s playing five-eight at the Raiders not because he’s a good five-eight, he’s there because he’s all we’ve got (and I guess we have to spend the money somewhere). But we are getting a poor return of halves play relative to our expenditure on him, if we are calling a spade a spade
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I thought we did well to limit Papali'i, Matterson, Gutherson, Moses, Paulo's impact today - five of their best six players. But it was Dylan Brown that killed us.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Jack should really getting his manager to talk to some clubs that need a lock and are going to have any chance of winning a premiership, the fella deserves one.

This place is woke.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:Our game plan was generally quite effective. The only issue was when we fell behind by 8 points late in the game. Still taking 4th tackle hit ups and getting to the kick when we needed to be chancing the arm a bit more. They started to shut down our offloads and it didn't look like we had a plan B.
We didn't have a plan b and this isn't the first time we've gotten behind and then just continue to do what isn't working. It's bloody frustrating to watch. All around me at the game fans were booing and whinging about the Eels being offside and demanding penalties or 6agains but it wouldn't matter how many tackles we had in their 20 we weren't scoring. We threw nothing at them and it goes back to our awful structure and lack of set plays. Too much running towards the corner post with not a single player straightening up the attack. Our outside backs were easy pickings and we do this far too often.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Rickmando wrote: May 29, 2022, 8:06 pm
radicalraider wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:56 pm So wighton most likely won't play origin 1.. missing papalii.. no ted and tupou.. roosters will still win
And nor should he. He’s having a pretty lousy year - eating up a lot of cap space and time on the ball in a key position.

Let’s be honest - he’s playing five-eight at the Raiders not because he’s a good five-eight, he’s there because he’s all we’ve got (and I guess we have to spend the money somewhere). But we are getting a poor return of halves play relative to our expenditure on him, if we are calling a spade a spade
He's been one of our best players this year Rickmando, behind Tapine and Papa. All effort today and the loss was not on him. My only criticism of him today is he should have ran more at Mitchell Moses and also to straighten the attack. As I said earlier, we ironically win today with Schneider's defence. He's probably not worth $900,000 but the likes of Dylan Brown weren't going to join us. I'd have him over Cody Walker and Luai any day.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

We fluffed a few chances but I thought there was actually some promise with some of our set plays/attacking movements tonight, Having Savages speed In that sweep play created half chances and looked way more likely to stretch a defense than we have in a while.
He's got plenty to work on in defense but
We need to keep getting the ball in Savages hands when we have some space/momentum, he's simply too quick for a lot of opposition defenders
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I think Tapine is the best prop in the game now. Better than any of the origin props selected and James Fisher Harris. He is awesome and has really got his act together. Kudos to him. I think he should captain the side next year. We cannot let his standout season go to waste.

Just think of NZ's pack: Tapine, JFH, Bromwich brothers, Papali'i, Brandon Smith, and on the bench Nelson, Jared WH, Tohu Harris and Nikora.

They also have Manu and Dylan Brown in the backs.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 29, 2022, 8:16 pm

He's been one of our best players this year Rickmando, behind Tapine and Papa. All effort today and the loss was not on him. My only criticism of him today is he should have ran more at Mitchell Moses and also to straighten the attack. As I said earlier, we ironically win today with Schneider's defence. He's probably not worth $900,000 but the likes of Dylan Brown weren't going to join us. I'd have him over Cody Walker and Luai any day.
I generally agree that the criticism of Wighton doesnt make sense to me
He's been really good, even in games when we were bad, he's done his best to try and carry us. We've not seen any of those "oh jack!" games this year.
Think his form has been really good.

That said... have him over Luai? Imma take a hard pass on that. Im not opposed to Jack moving to a #13 role at some point in his career, but we have to find not 1 but 2 halves better than him... Laui would be 1. :lol:
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 29, 2022, 8:16 pm

I just think we need an exit strategy out of sinking 900K per year into him and expecting him to one day become the kind of elite half that actually earns that type of money.

He’s an effort guy and has been loyal to the Raiders, no arguments there. We are proud of him from a club point of view.

But… he’s played every backline position in his career - never dominating so much in one that he’s been deemed elite enough to hold that position. He’s got playing ability, he’s a physical specimen - unquestioned - but in a footy IQ sense he is dumb as a box of rocks. These things should be red flags, not things you gloss over and just give him the bag for in order to hold onto him.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Been saying it for years that he's not a 6. He should be in the backrow. We aren't winning a premiership with him in the halves.. the game has changed since 2019.. tonight proved again that when we need a try against a top team our halves can't supply it.. actually they didn't supply a single try tonight.. don't count the lucky kicks..
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 29, 2022, 8:23 pm I think Tapine is the best prop in the game now. Better than any of the origin props selected and James Fisher Harris. He is awesome and has really got his act together. Kudos to him. I think he should captain the side next year. We cannot let his standout season go to waste.

Just think of NZ's pack: Tapine, JFH, Bromwich brothers, Papali'i, Brandon Smith, and on the bench Nelson, Jared WH, Tohu Harris and Nikora.

They also have Manu and Dylan Brown in the backs.
Tapine has been an absolute joy to watch this year. He’s doing quality and quantity - turning out some amazing football over long minutes in the middle. And consistently our best (or one of our best) every week. We are witnessing an absolutely rare vein of form - would love to see him get rewarded with the (c)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

radicalraider wrote: May 29, 2022, 8:28 pm

Been saying it for years that he's not a 6. He should be in the backrow. We aren't winning a premiership with him in the halves.. the game has changed since 2019.. tonight proved again that when we need a try against a top team our halves can't supply it.. actually they didn't supply a single try tonight.. don't count the lucky kicks..
Don't count a halves kicks. This is certainly picking a hill and dying on it :lol:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: May 29, 2022, 8:44 pm
Don't count a halves kicks. This is certainly picking a hill and dying on it :lol:
And even weirder the team who beat us have an even Wightonyer half than Wighton is in Dylan Brown at 5/8... yet somehow we can't win many games with the same exact prototype 5/8 in our team... The mind boggles.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 29, 2022, 8:09 pm I thought we did well to limit Papali'i, Matterson, Gutherson, Moses, Paulo's impact today - five of their best six players. But it was Dylan Brown that killed us.
The same Dylan Brown many in here thought wasn’t good enough for us😂

Honestly this place sometimes…
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Disappointed in the final score and some lax defensive efforts which cost tries. I think the only person more surprised with the amount of time Woolford was on the field was Tom Starling. He seemed to think his second half entry to the game should have been sooner. But he hardly ran from dummy half at all which is his signature play.

Fogs first match and he was a little rusty, but his bomb for the first Kris try was pin point accurate. I long for the day we learn how to regularly grubber the ball into the ingoal with good chasing to earn repeat sets. Sheer weight of possession can wear down a large side like Parramatta. Jamal will be a serviceable FG half back once he has had a few games to bring up his match fitness and gain cohesion with players around him. Anyone expecting a DCE or Cleary or Hughes type player is going to be disappointed.

Savage is still learning the NRL game, but 2022 is exactly the right time for him to be learning what is required in FG. Should he learn the lessons, then the pay off will come in 2023/24. Chooks next week and I hope he is again selected.
mobrulesall
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Andrew McFadden

Post by mobrulesall »

Enjoyable game of football. Regardless of the outcome, was a good watch with a good crowd.

My take away for the day: GIO apologised for the Northern screen outage, but I thought to myself, I can't see the POS from the Southern stands anyway so everything is normal XD