Eels 13+
11%

Total votes: 9

Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2022 Rd 12 V Eels: Game Day

Post by Green Blogger »

Another chapter in the book of plodders who play like superstars against us - welcome back to GIO Stadium Bailey Simmonson!
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Good game today, end to end in the first half. We played OK, but not enough in the second half. At least we didn't beat ourselves. Just not enough skill and class when it mattered. We just lack that one extra classy spine player. No attacking point from hooker or half. I like how the backs got more involved taking it up like the Penrith backs. Savage needs to trail our forwards more.

Parra are a good side, top 3 I think. Any side beating Melbourne and Penrith away are a good team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

mobrulesall wrote: May 29, 2022, 10:46 pm Enjoyable game of football. Regardless of the outcome, was a good watch with a good crowd.

My take away for the day: GIO apologised for the Northern screen outage, but I thought to myself, I can't see the POS from the Southern stands anyway so everything is normal XD
I was very surprised the crowd figure started with a 16. At the ground I thought it’d start with an 18 at least. But looking on TV, a lot of members on the western side, particularly in the grandstand, clearly didn’t go.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 29, 2022, 6:27 pm Ironically we may have won today with Schneider in the team with his defence
Fog was alright, not the reason we lost today IMO. Having another 5th tackle option is pretty good and his goal kicking was spot on, he will only add to this team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:13 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:12 pm
radicalraider wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:09 pm We missed CHNs flair
True and good point actually. Today's game is the perfect example of why we just can't afford to drop someone like CHN. Unless it's for disciplinary reasons, we are in no position to drop an attacking threat like him
Sit down for this one fellas, it'll shock you but I 100% agree with you both

we're not good enough or creative enough to drop one of our best attacking threats inside the 20.
On the other hand… his defence and lack of concentration could have easily cost us even more points. Our attack is not blunt because we’re missing a marginally more attacking second rower. Our attack reflects what’s happening with the play makers and the lack of organisation, purpose and direction from the play makers.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: May 29, 2022, 9:32 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 29, 2022, 8:09 pm I thought we did well to limit Papali'i, Matterson, Gutherson, Moses, Paulo's impact today - five of their best six players. But it was Dylan Brown that killed us.
The same Dylan Brown many in here thought wasn’t good enough for us😂

Honestly this place sometimes…
But given we have a running five eighth on $850,000 or $900,000, we can’t afford two. That was the point.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: May 30, 2022, 12:27 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 29, 2022, 8:09 pm I thought we did well to limit Papali'i, Matterson, Gutherson, Moses, Paulo's impact today - five of their best six players. But it was Dylan Brown that killed us.

But given we have a running five eighth on $850,000 or $900,000, we can’t afford two. That was the point.
Both of which seem to only be able to play football on the left hand side of the field.

It was always a horrible idea.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Although we lost , it was an enjoyable game
We were in it , Parra defended well , we did throw a bit at them but we could have been better too but factoring our spine was in part inexperienced and another part 1st game back from a lengthy injury I can accept some clunk to it . Lets hope thats our base line and we improve on that.

Saw pictures and video of CNK training at that members day thing the other day , thought with a hammy injury which requires 6 weeks rehab , he wouldn't be moving the way he was. Hopefully he is back before 6 weeks and we can get a settled spine.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Your right GE, but that’s not what I’m arguing.
People here we’re straight up saying he wasn’t good enough to play for us.
In any case, we lost (and will continue to lose) games against better teams because our coach can’t coach and we can’t attack with fluency.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

GreenMachine wrote: May 30, 2022, 6:14 am

In any case, we lost (and will continue to lose) games against better teams because our coach can’t coach and we can’t attack with fluency.
I can’t remember what form he was in at the time, but he has been variable in terms of impact. Last year he wasn’t particularly strong.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Just again on savage having a look at the stat's (not everything) but he got up over 200m and 70m of that was post contact. That matches the eye test of him getting good yardage.

My concern with him was his size at this point in his career but he looked very strong.

Now he made a dumb error or two and his contact could be better in defence but I feel he answered questions I had about him..

His decision making in defence was pretty good though. He just got bumped off more than I'd like to see.

So there is improvement in him but promising game imo

Tapine with another casual 200m + game too lol
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: May 30, 2022, 7:11 am

I can’t remember what form he was in at the time, but he has been variable in terms of impact. Last year he wasn’t particularly strong.
Dylan Brown was fairly average last year. At the time he was trying to be a play maker and it wasn't working. This year he's more a running 5/8 and centre. Much more suitable to his skill set and is having a break out season.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Pete Cash wrote: May 30, 2022, 7:53 am Just again on savage having a look at the stat's (not everything) but he got up over 200m and 70m of that was post contact. That matches the eye test of him getting good yardage.

My concern with him was his size at this point in his career but he looked very strong.

Now he made a dumb error or two and his contact could be better in defence but I feel he answered questions I had about him..

His decision making in defence was pretty good though. He just got bumped off more than I'd like to see.

Savage is not the finished product... but has potential to be a true super star.

Id stick with him at 1. He just won't be able to play week in week out.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: May 30, 2022, 7:11 am

The same can be argued about Wighton who IMO isn't a half...but is played as a half here at the Raiders for lack of better options.....but that's another discussion.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Pete Cash wrote: May 30, 2022, 7:53 am Just again on savage having a look at the stat's (not everything) but he got up over 200m and 70m of that was post contact. That matches the eye test of him getting good yardage.

Completely agree. He's not hiding from the hard carries and his speed is such he chews metres and makes half breaks on returns- great. All new players have a loose carry until they adjust- Horse, Rapa being a couple that spring to mind. Experience fixes that naturally. He'll add 5 more kg by this time next year and the defence will pick up- he's not avoiding it alla Reece Robbo, he gets there but can't stick all the time right now. (to be fair, he's making plenty of them but the misses stand out. He saved one 2 on 1 pretty smartly).

If we get that some of that improvement over the next month he'll be looking good. His yards carry and when to just flop down has already improved. We just need to remember that even Teddy, Trbo, Slater, Paps took a few entire seasons to start adding everything to their kit bag.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: May 30, 2022, 4:52 am Although we lost , it was an enjoyable game
We were in it , Parra defended well , we did throw a bit at them but we could have been better too but factoring our spine was in part inexperienced and another part 1st game back from a lengthy injury I can accept some clunk to it . Lets hope thats our base line and we improve on that.

Saw pictures and video of CNK training at that members day thing the other day , thought with a hammy injury which requires 6 weeks rehab , he wouldn't be moving the way he was. Hopefully he is back before 6 weeks and we can get a settled spine.
He might be more a month if he's already running- we often overstate the length these days. Thing about hammies though they feel ok in controlled sessions but they are super susceptible to going again under fatigue or slowing down/stopping suddenly without warning. It used to be a "get yourself feeling right then add 2 more weeks" or it just goes again.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:
mobrulesall wrote: May 29, 2022, 10:46 pm Enjoyable game of football. Regardless of the outcome, was a good watch with a good crowd.

My take away for the day: GIO apologised for the Northern screen outage, but I thought to myself, I can't see the POS from the Southern stands anyway so everything is normal XD
I was very surprised the crowd figure started with a 16. At the ground I thought it’d start with an 18 at least. But looking on TV, a lot of members on the western side, particularly in the grandstand, clearly didn’t go.
Security guard the Meninga Stand with their lives these days, used to be able to filter in without problem. It’s been looking overly empty a lot this season.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 29, 2022, 6:29 pm
BadnMean wrote: May 29, 2022, 6:19 pm
Raider47 wrote: May 29, 2022, 6:03 pm Did Parra have a tackle in our 20 that half?

Our attack was utterly putrid. So one out.
I posted before the game that we go back to one out grindball vs good teams when the pressure is on. We tucked it under the arm a bit and stopped offering a threat.

That's not on a single player it's either the team or an instruction. But taking the 2 was a pretty good indicator we thought we could play it safe for 35 mins and win it.
Do we really actually think that though?

I feel like we have more than enough data from all the games that we have been mowed down despite holding leads to know that our conservative decisions like this are pretty much certain to be destined for failure.

It is the definition of insanity.
Here's an even better question. Why on earth did we not take the 2 with 5 to go and down by 8?

Taking the two early in the 2nd half gave us the opportunity to bring the game back within a converted try with 5 to go - but we did not take it. This was the dumbest of dumb dumb decisions - and it completely invalidated any benefit of taking the two points earlier.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Starling needs this court stuff done so he can get his head straight, Zac has shown a lot better service and creativity.
I think that's where we are hurting, creativity in the 2nd half. Jack isn't creative, neither Sav or CNK are creative so it's gotta be an offload or a tackle bust because we aren't building shapes or multiple ball playing options

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

julian87 wrote: May 29, 2022, 7:08 pm Just too many big misses in defence. I honestly wasn't disappointed with too much. People having a crack at Fogarty is to be expected. He's on a hiding to nothing.

2 things I was actually disappointed by were:

- Really poor kick chase from the whole team bat the obvious (left hand edge). And it just enabled space and line breaks.

- No real qualms with taking the 2 when we did. But I'm more miffed by not taking the 2 when we were 8 down with about 6 minutes to go. When that's a ginme it's an absolute given that you get yourself back within a try of levelling the game.
Yes! Crazy stuff not taking the 2 the second time
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

benda wrote: May 30, 2022, 8:33 am
Savage is not the finished product... but has potential to be a true super star.

(1) Id stick with him at 1.

(2) He just won't be able to play week in week out.

I sort of agree with both of these statements at different times, but I can't figure out a way to make them fit together at the same time.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Boomercm wrote: May 30, 2022, 8:08 pm
benda wrote: May 30, 2022, 8:33 am

(1) Id stick with him at 1.

(2) He just won't be able to play week in week out.

I sort of agree with both of these statements at different times, but I can't figure out a way to make them fit together at the same time.
(2) is only because fullback is taxing and its his first season. Some rotation needs to happen.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'I was copping a bit': Former Canberra star Bailey Simonsson gets last laugh with heckling Raiders fans

Former Raider Bailey Simonsson had a triumphant return to Canberra in Parramatta's 28-20 win on Sunday, with Green Machine supporters giving him an earful all game.

"I was copping a bit, getting sprayed by the Raiders fans, so it was good to get one down in the corner," he said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239