Sunday 29 May, 4:05pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 11:50am
Jersey Flegg: 12:05pm
NSW Cup: 1:45pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Partly cloudy. The chance of morning fog. Mostly sunny afternoon. Light winds becoming west to northwesterly 15 to 20 km/h in the early afternoon then becoming light in the late evening. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent Min 2 Max 14

The Raiders are on a three game winning streak and things finally seem to be coming together on the field. But they now face an even greater test - a clash with the Parramatta Eels at Canberra Stadium.

Last round: 2022 Round 11. Canberra Raiders 32 - South Sydney Rabbitohs 12. The Canberra Raiders did it tough and did it well in Dubbo. They had to overcome considerable adversity in terms of their preparation. They had to deal with an influenza outbreak and last minute changes to the team. Prop Ryan Sutton and half Matt Frawley were both ruled out, late. But this game was different in another way. It was the 250th NRL game for prop Josh Papalii, his 250th game in green. Only two Raiders had achieved that before. And there is no way the team was going to let that milestone be remembered by a poor performance. Before the game Ricky Stuart said: "If we come out flat in Papa's 250th I'll be filthy." The team certainly was not flat and they produced an admirable 80 minutes of football.

More on Round 11: As I saw it

Team news: Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has been ruled out for six weeks after scans revealed a high grade hamstring injury. That is much worse than the 1-2 weeks originally expected. Xavier Savage has been named as CNK's replacement at fullback. Half Jamal Fogarty (knee) and Jarrod Croker (shoulder) return from injury. It will be Fogarty's first premiership match in green. Brad Schneider drops to the extended bench, while Sebastian Kris drops to the interchange list. Ryan Sutton returns from illness on the bench, with Harry Rushton dropping to the reserves.

Waqa Blake (knee) returns for the Eels on the wing, with Hayze Perham dropping out. Maika Sivo has been named on the reserves list.

Late changes: The Raiders announced on Wednesday that Jarrod Croker had dislocated his shoulder on Tuesday and had been ruled out of the Eels clash. He may need to have surgery, depending on scans. On Saturday, Croker's place in the starting 13 was taken by Sebastian Kris, with James Schiller coming in on the bench. Trey Mooney and Brad Schneider remain on the extended bench. The Eels top 17 is unchanged.

History: Canberra has won 32 of 61 games against the Parramatta Eels. The Raiders have lost four times to the Eels in the past 10 matches - and three in the past five. The Raiders were on a five game winning streak against Parramatta, before falling to the Eels, 22-16, in Darwin in 2019. In 2020, the Eels led 24-12 with five minutes left, before the Raiders leveled the match, through two tries to Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad in the space of two minutes. Sadly, Clint Gutherson kicked a field goal in golden point, to secure a 25-24 win for the Eels. In Round 6 last year at Canberra Stadium, the Raiders trailed by just two points at half time, but didn't score a point in the second half, crashing to a 35-10 defeat. But in Round 19 on the Gold Coast, the Green Machine produced a courageous 12-10 win. Jordan Rapana produced a stunning try saving tackle on Maika Sivo at the death - securing the two point victory. The Raiders have lost just five of 23 games played at Canberra Stadium between the clubs.

2021 Round 19: Canberra Raiders V Parramatta Eels

2021 Round 6: Canberra Raiders V Parramatta Eels

2020 Round 7: Canberra Raiders V Parramatta Eels

Form: Raiders: LLWWW
Eels: WLWLW

The Eels have been up and down over the past month or so. They experienced the high of beating the Panthers at Penrith (22-20) in Round 9, breaking a 21 winning streak at home for the 2021 premiers. But they've also suffered recent losses to the Cowboys (35-4) and Roosters (31-24). They are coming off a 22-20 win over the Sea Eagles at Western Sydney Stadium, only securing victory in the last five minutes.

Betting: The Eels are $1.50 favourites, with the Raiders paying $2.60. The Raiders have 5.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: This is a clash between sixth (Eels) and ninth (Raiders) on the ladder The Eels are a top four team in attack, the Raiders are not far off being a bottom four team. However, Canberra showed some signs of turning that around in the past couple of weeks.

The Eels are second only to the Panthers for running metres (Raiders rank 13th) and possession share (Raiders 12th). The latter reflects the fact that the Eels have the best completion rate in the competition (Raiders 15th). Eels players Clint Gutherson, Issiah Papali'i and Regan Campbell-Gillard are all in the top 10 players in the NRL for running metres, while Gutherson is second for kick return metres.

The Eels now make the most offloads of any team, and have pushed the Raiders into second. The Raiders, however, have only recently been producing effective offloads.

The Raiders have a bit better defensive record than the Eels, but there is not much in it. The Raiders are the most penalised team in the league, the Eels the least penalised.

Thanks to Eels half Mitchell Moses, the Eels rank first in the NRL for kicking metres. The Raiders rank 15th in that department. Moses is not only fourth for kick metres in the competition, but has the most try assists. Everything goes through him, so the Raiders will have to pressure him.

2022 Season record: Raiders 5 and 6 (9th, -33)
Eels 7 and 4 (6th, +48)

Attack: Raiders 17 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 12th on tries scored
Eels 22 points and 4 tries scored per match, ranked fourth on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 20 points and 3 tries conceded per match, ranked seventh on fewest tries conceded
Eels 26 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked eighth on fewest tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 49 per cent, Eels 53 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 72 per cent, Eels 83 per cent

Running: Raiders 1456 running metres per match
Eels 1744 running metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 31, Eels 32 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 3, Eels 5 per match

Try assists: Raiders 2, Eels 4 per match

Offloads: Raiders 13, Eels 13 per match

Kicking: Raiders 474 kicking metres per match
Eels 593 kicking metres per match

Tackling: Raiders 89 per cent tackle efficiency
Eels 87 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1315 running metres conceded per match
Eels 1353 running metres conceded per match

Errors: Raiders 12, Eels 9 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 8, Eels 5 per match

Key match-ups:

Xavier Savage and Clint Gutherson: With Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad ruled out for six weeks, Xavier Savage is being given his shot at the No. 1 jersey. He played the second half in that role last week against the Rabbitohs. He made a couple of errors, but scored a terrific try and posted 147 running metres. He's up against Clint Gutherson, who celebrated his 150th NRL game last week. So far this year, he's scored six tries and produced three try assists, seven line breaks and averaged 159 running metres. The Eels fans call him "King Gutho", which is a bit of a stretch. But he's still very good. Tough assignment for Xavier in his sixth NRL match.

Nick Cotric and Bailey Simonsson: The Raiders released Bailey Simonsson to the Eels during the off season, to facilitate the return of Nick Cotric to the Green Machine - after spending an unhappy season at the Bulldogs. Cotric started the season slowly, but in the past few weeks, he's been back to his best. Against the Rabbitohs, he scored a try, made two line breaks, seven tackle breaks and ran for 133 metres. Three weeks ago against the Dogs, he ran for a whopping 225 metres. Bailey Simonsson has one try, one try assist, four line breaks and an average 110 running metres to his name. Cotric's numbers have been better overall this year, and peak Cotric wins this match-up.

Josh Papalii and Junior Paulo: The clash between the starting props - Junior Paulo and Reagan Campbell-Gillard in the blue corner and Josh Papalii and Joe Tapine in the green corner - is going to be worth the price of admission alone. Papalii's numbers were a bit down early in the season, but he's now purring along. He's scored two tries and produced 29 tackle breaks, 18 offloads and an average of 26 tackles and 122 running metres this season. Junior Paulo won the Meninga Medal during his three seasons with the Raiders. Since returning to his original club, Parramatta, he's just been getting better. In 2022, Paulo has posted. eight tackle breaks, 17 offloads and an average of 20 tackles and 137 running metres per game. Overall, Big Papa's numbers win out.

My tip: The Eels are deserved favourites. As all the numbers show, they can be a very dangerous attacking team. The defence, however, can be picked apart - and they have been very inconsistent. The Raiders will need to halt the momentum of the big Eels' forward pack and pressure Mitchell Moses. The Raiders' defence can't give him any room to move. If he's not creating tries, his kicks are pinning the opposition on their own goal line. For the Raiders, it'll be about creating a virtuous circle - good defence, good completions, momentum from the forwards and good field position. If they can do that, that will open up opportunity for the Canberra attack. I think the Green Machine can do it. Raiders by 6-12.

What they're saying:

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart on why the Raiders are turning things around: "At the start of the year we had an inexperienced squad and we were disrupted by injuries, especially in the spine. Everyone wants a scientific answer or a strategic answer as to what's going on. When you're not getting 50 per cent of the ball and you're not completing over 50 odd per cent, you're not going to beat anyone. They're completing, and the kicking game again this week, like last week, was really good. It makes it so much easier for yourself. You get so much more energy in defence."

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
4. Matthew Timoko
16. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

14. Tom Starling
15. Ryan Sutton
17. Corey Horsburgh
20. James Schiller

22. Trey Mooney
18. Brad Schneider

Injury/Suspension

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Hamstring (Rd 18-19)
Jarrod Croker, Shoulder (Indefinite)
Harley Smith-Shields, Knee (Season)
Josh Hodgson, Knee (Season)

Parramatta Eels

1. Clinton Gutherson
2. Waqa Blake
3. Viliami Penisini
4. Tom Opacic
5. Bailey Simonsson
6. Dylan Brown
7. Mitchell Moses
8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Junior Paulo
11. Shaun Lane
12. Marata Niukore
13. Isaiah Papali'i

14. Makahesi Makatoa
15. Ryan Matterson
16. Oregon Kaufusi
17. Nathan Brown

18. Bryce Cartwright
19. Jake Arthur

Injury/Suspension

Haze Dunster, Knee (Season)
Ray Stone, Knee (Season)

Officials

Referee: Todd Smith
Touch judges: Kasey Badger, Michael Wise
Video referee: Matt Noyen

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Jersey Flegg teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersEels
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2022 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2022 Rd 12 V Eels: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker »

It’s the day of the game
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!!! Go the Raiders!!💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I don’t get the Gutho hype.

He’s just not that good.

Overrated big time, smash him.

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

This will be a big test for the team. Both sharks and bunnies didn’t play well against us and Eels have been up and down as well. At their best they are a very tough team but they seem to get up against the top teams and struggle in games they should win comfortably.

Also looking forward to seeing how the team goes with Fogarty in!

How’s the weather in Canberra today?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

First game for Jamal in the NRL for the Raiders. I'm looking forward to watching him play. We have had 3 wins on the trot so confidence will be good. Eels are a top 8 side with some impressive wins this year so this will be a good test for the green Team.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

What’s a good pub nearby with good steak for lunch pre game?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

The grave yard slot, weekends over by 4pm Sunday the Monday itice has already set in, horrible timeslot.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Question wrote: May 29, 2022, 9:08 am The grave yard slot, weekends over by 4pm Sunday the Monday itice has already set in, horrible timeslot.

Repeat rinse next Sund to Q.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

jimmy82 wrote: May 29, 2022, 9:07 am What’s a good pub nearby with good steak for lunch pre game?
May have to go Lighthouse in Belconnen. Bruce isn't the most ideal location for such enjoyable experiences.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

-PJ- wrote: May 29, 2022, 6:42 am I don’t get the Gutho hype.

He’s just not that good.

#bleedgreen
Completely overrated and I loathe the whole "King" tag. Go at least make a grand final and then maybe you can tag yourself that.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He’s just not that good.

#bleedgreen
Fully agree on the smash him part.

I think Gutho is an excellent player though, top 5 FB (not top 3, but top 5). I'd have him in a heartbeat. He's a good enough defender to make some big plays there, he's up there in most attacking stats- decent blend of threat himself and playmaking. Has a very nice short kicking game- genuine option there. Plus he's a tryer- I put him in the Moloney type who might make an error but who just keeps coming back with a new way to try and crack you, always a threat. He's not going to go away.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Question wrote:The grave yard slot, weekends over by 4pm Sunday the Monday itice has already set in, horrible timeslot.

I love it, I can watch it on the couch in comfort and it doesn’t wreck my Saturday session at the pub
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

jimmy82 wrote: May 29, 2022, 9:07 am What’s a good pub nearby with good steak for lunch pre game?
Old Canberra Inn is decent, and close if you park up the back of Dryandra and walk through the reserve to Bruce. (35 min walk from pub itself, 15-20 mins if you drive up to Dryandra from the pub first).
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The Nickman wrote: May 29, 2022, 10:43 am
Question wrote:The grave yard slot, weekends over by 4pm Sunday the Monday itice has already set in, horrible timeslot.

I love it, I can watch it on the couch in comfort and it doesn’t wreck my Saturday session at the pub
Plus Monday is a public holiday. It's a win!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

raiderskater wrote: May 29, 2022, 10:03 am

He’s just not that good.

#bleedgreen
Completely overrated and I loathe the whole "King" tag. Go at least make a grand final and then maybe you can tag yourself that.
Let's not even talk about the Gutherino.

Good player. The hype is overcooked.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:
The Nickman wrote: May 29, 2022, 10:43 am

Plus Monday is a public holiday. It's a win!
Not here it’s not!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

He’s just not that good.

#bleedgreen
I note you said make a grand final not win one. Interesting mark of greatness Skater. Not origin, nor premiership winner - we’ve lowered the bar to just turning up to the big dance. Ok.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Billy Walker wrote:

He’s just not that good.

#bleedgreen
I note you said make a grand final not win one. Interesting mark of greatness Skater. Not origin, nor premiership winner - we’ve lowered the bar to just turning up to the big dance. Ok.
I can’t believe you don’t shut up
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Billy Walker wrote: May 29, 2022, 11:02 am

He’s just not that good.

#bleedgreen
Oh, shut up you hack. Did we interrupt you dancing on a grave prematurely again?
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: May 29, 2022, 11:03 am
Billy Walker wrote:

He’s just not that good.

#bleedgreen
I can’t believe you don’t shut up
Talking of low bars - good to see you Nickman my old friend.
Green Machine 2011
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

I’m (stupidly) invested in today, they’ve done it to me again.

If it was CHN over Schiller, I’d suggest this would be the best 17 we’ve trotted out all year, and in the correct positions.

Now I fully expect a 49-0 Eels win (avoid the 50 curse though)
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

This game has the potential to be season defining: beating a legitimate top side for a 4 game winning streak.

However I fear we may get a bit of a reality check today.

Often what happens in our poorer seasons is that teams stop taking us seriously and we proceed to sneak a few wins when they do this.

Then when they switch back on we get found wanting.

I would dearly love to be wrong and would welcome it being shoved aggressively in my face, but that is my worry for today.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Feeling the same Mickey. Last week was optimistic. This week definitely pessimistic. I’m expecting one of those weeks where the team gets ahead of itself and is clearly not in it from the outset. Would love being wrong, just got that feeling about it.

4 in a row and beating quality opposition would really put the season back into the question of can we dream of being a threat in this year again. Which’d be nice given this season didn’t last long before that hope got crushed.

Here’s hoping for a face shove and Raiders by 56!
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of today’s NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Parramatta Eels at Canberra Stadium. Here are the final teams. Lives scores from 4:05pm right here… please join in with your own commentary.

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Nick Cotric
4. Matthew Timoko
16. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Zac Woolford
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Adam Elliott

14. Tom Starling
15. Ryan Sutton
17. Corey Horsburgh
20. James Schiller

22. Trey Mooney

Parramatta Eels

1. Clinton Gutherson
2. Waqa Blake
3. Viliami Penisini
4. Tom Opacic
5. Bailey Simonsson
6. Dylan Brown
7. Mitchell Moses
8. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Junior Paulo
11. Shaun Lane
12. Marata Niukore
13. Isaiah Papali'i

14. Makahesi Makatoa
15. Ryan Matterson
16. Oregon Kaufusi
17. Nathan Brown

19. Jake Arthur
Last edited by The Greenhouse on May 29, 2022, 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I'm excited again- can't help it.

We've beaten a bottom team and then a couple of middling teams with key players missing- which evened the odds to our same circumstances a bit. Now we play a team who is figuring out if they are a contender or not right now.

The odds are about right in having us the outsider. Parra have played better than us this year and have a strong lineup. So if we manage win it will be heady days. It would be significant.

The questions are can our improved defence stand up vs a good attacking team? Can our forwards back it up vs a strong and in form pack? Will we keep moving the ball and pushing up with the carrier or return to forlorn one out runs for set after set? Can Fog hit the ground running or will he be very rusty and we have to learn to play with a new half all over again? Will Xaviour get worked over by Moses?

I think if we answer yes to the first two questions the rest will fall into place. If we can't do that we'll get a little spanking back down into our 14th-10th slot.
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

2007......12mins in....RAIDERS LEADING 24-0
Crusader
Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

2007......12mins in....RAIDERS LEADING 24-0
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I’ve got good vibes, we’ll need to play well but I’m feeling a win..
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The big question is whether we have learnt anything from our more expansive approach this past month.

Or will we go back into our shells and grind because we are up against a potential Top 4 team? Old habits die hard.

Let’s see how brave we are
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Very much looking forward to seeing Fogarty in his first game for us. He’s a smart footy player
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

CMON Raiders!
Here we go!
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Looks like this will be a very big crowd. Plenty of bays with tickets sold which are often unoccupied. Both teams are back in the sheds after the warm up. The honour guard drummers are up on the “hill”. There is to be a special ceremony for Indigenous Round now.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Here come the players. This is special. They walk out side by side.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Now time for the Viking Clap.