No.
No.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2022 Rd 13 V Roosters: Teams and Previews

Post by Seiffert82 »

radicalraider wrote:Anyone else feel more confident of a win with wighton out
Not more confident of a win, but when Wighton was suspended I was far more confident our three-quarters would be more involved with the ball.

To that extent I'm more confident that Fogarty and Frawley will get better ball to some decent runners in our backline, spreading the focus of the Roosters defensive line.

Unfortunately Jack and Schneider completely stunted our attack on the edges, leaving almost all of our attacking opportunities to be generated from our pack or from the odd broken field play.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Our attack is very limited and predictable when wighton plays..
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: June 1, 2022, 1:46 pm Starling needs to focus an entire offseason on hitting his runners on the chest *before* they cross the advantage line.

We all know he's capable of throwing 3 or 4 blatant forward passes a game. He's lucky he doesn't get picked up for most of them. This is a technique issue.

He's also prone to throwing passes behind the player or at their feet, or between two players.

I don't care how spectacular his intermittent running game is. If he can't hit an international front rower with a decent pass, he doesn't belong in first grade.

But perhaps I'm just death riding him.
Sad AND pathetic.
:sadface followed by winkie face

Last edited by Seiffert82 on June 1, 2022, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: June 1, 2022, 5:05 pm
Sid wrote: June 1, 2022, 5:03 pm
radicalraider wrote:Anyone else feel more confident of a win with wighton out
No.
No.
No.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Important to win this, there is 10 points up for grabs going into the bye, we can win these next 2 games and we should win the 2 after that, im not the biggest Fan of Frawls, but he has played well in his last 2 games, bench looks better this week, its just a matter of how its used, really looking foward to see mooney in action, he looks like he has that wiki/papa about him, once again rotation is the key to this.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joe Tapine to step up as leader of the Canberra Raiders pack

His Papa won't be there beside him, but that won't change Joe Tapine's approach.

"I'm looking forward to the challenge, but we've just got to stay calm and play our game - and try to knock down the front door. "I have to be a bit more of a voice on the field, lead a bit more especially with Trey coming in. Just letting him find that groove of the game.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders’ Joe Tapine setting high standards

He’s already one of the hottest forwards in the NRL, but Canberra prop Joe Tapine will be looking to step things up again this weekend.

“I’m just trying to keep consistent, I feel like all my performances this year have been better and I’m playing some good footy. I’ll have to just be a bit more of a voice on the field (without Josh Papalii) as well as lead a bit more, especially with (debutant) Trey (Mooney) coming in, just help them find that groove with the game.

Read more: https://canberraweekly.com.au/raiders-j ... standards/

VIDEO: Tapine: I'm just trying to keep consistent: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... onsistent/

VIDEO: Anthony Seibold and Renee Gartner preview the Round 13 match between the Canberra Raiders and Sydney Roosters: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/06/01/rai ... -round-13/

Josh Hodgson to sound the Viking horn: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... -roosters/

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Eels: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35157

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... -roosters/

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I am really looking forward to seeing Trey Mooney get his chance. I hope Ricky gives him 30 mins plus. He is a special talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 1, 2022, 7:18 pm
The Nickman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: June 1, 2022, 1:46 pm Starling needs to focus an entire offseason on hitting his runners on the chest *before* they cross the advantage line.

We all know he's capable of throwing 3 or 4 blatant forward passes a game. He's lucky he doesn't get picked up for most of them. This is a technique issue.

He's also prone to throwing passes behind the player or at their feet, or between two players.

I don't care how spectacular his intermittent running game is. If he can't hit an international front rower with a decent pass, he doesn't belong in first grade.

Sad AND pathetic.

Not sure why Nickman hated this so much because it's spot on. I like Starling but his passing is ordinary for a first grader - let alone a first grade hooker. I am baffled each week by how poor it is.

And it's not just the errors but the inaccurate or slow service that takes a step off the receiver's run.

I think this partly why Woolford has looked so good. The guy can pass.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Ruben Daley wrote: June 1, 2022, 10:58 pm Not sure why Nickman hated this so much because it's spot on. I like Starling but his passing is ordinary for a first grader - let alone a first grade hooker. I am baffled each week by how poor it is.

And it's not just the errors but the inaccurate or slow service that takes a step off the receiver's run.

Agreed. What is so sad about it is that our now no 1 hooker is being outdone by a journeyman reserve grader who has simply accomplished the act of passing the ball.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Why would you pick Adam Elliot to play another game? Ricky is so lost he thinks that picking him will help him make the semi finals....just think about that for a minute, this is the master coaches thought process... Adam Elliot...finals football.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ruben Daley wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: June 1, 2022, 7:18 pm
The Nickman wrote:

Sad AND pathetic.

Not sure why Nickman hated this so much because it's spot on. I like Starling but his passing is ordinary for a first grader - let alone a first grade hooker. I am baffled each week by how poor it is.

He's taking the piss based on some of the comments thrown my way when I was a bit critical of Xavier Savage's defence and ball security last weekend.

Forum guidelines suggest the X man is beyond reproach! It's all good. He gets a free pass because he's fast. :) Some were impressed by his 200m, but most of that was because the Eels sensibly didn't target Cotric or Rapana. To be fair, his post-contact effort was much improved.

Anyhoo, I digress...

Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Question wrote: June 2, 2022, 4:22 am Why would you pick Adam Elliot to play another game? Ricky is so lost he thinks that picking him will help him make the semi finals....just think about that for a minute, this is the master coaches thought process... Adam Elliot...finals football.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk
Agree, start developing the next in line, but I think Mooney and Ruston are starting to get the push
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dusty wrote:I am really looking forward to seeing Trey Mooney get his chance. I hope Ricky gives him 30 mins plus. He is a special talent

Is he one of yours?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 2, 2022, 5:46 am He's taking the piss based on some of the comments thrown my way when I was a bit critical of Xavier Savage's defence and ball security last weekend.

Forum guidelines suggest the X man is beyond reproach! It's all good. He gets a free pass because he's fast. :) Some were impressed by his 200m, but most of that was because the Eels sensibly didn't target Cotric or Rapana. To be fair, his post-contact effort was much improved.

Anyhoo, I digress...
Posters criticise him all the time, including me. No one is giving him a free pass and it's only you that I've taken issue with.
And it's because you're not even acknowledging any good things he's doing in the games, all you do is sit there and sweat on a mistake and then pounce. Which is fine its a bit eye rolling but you've got ya guy CNK to stump for so it all tracks.
But not content there, then you go to the next level, and the guy who's run for 200 metres including 70 post contact, who's at least attempting to ball playing at the line and putting his body on the line and took tough heavy contact all game because of his willingness to do it (A willingness CNK lacks btw) and all you've got to say is he's soft? That's just such a revealing comment.

But glad to see you're still stinging days later over it being pointed out :)
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: June 2, 2022, 5:46 am He's taking the piss based on some of the comments thrown my way when I was a bit critical of Xavier Savage's defence and ball security last weekend.

Anyhoo, I digress...
Posters criticise him all the time, including me. No one is giving him a free pass and it's only you that I've taken issue with.
And it's because you're not even acknowledging any good things he's doing in the games, all you do is sit there and sweat on a mistake and then pounce. Which is fine its a bit eye rolling but you've got ya guy CNK to stump for so it all tracks.
But not content there, then you go to the next level, and the guy who's run for 200 metres including 70 post contact, who's at least attempting to ball playing at the line and putting his body on the line and took tough heavy contact all game because of his willingness to do it (A willingness CNK lacks btw) and all you've got to say is he's soft? That's just such a revealing comment.

But glad to see you're still stinging days later over it being pointed out :)
Haha, firstly thanks for following.

Secondly, I've been calling for CNK to be rested for most of the season. I've loved the toughness he has brought to the position, but he's not "my guy". I want the best player available in the role.

Thirdly I'm not sweating on errors from Savage. The ones he has made have been clangers that other players would rightfully have been criticised for. Some of the loose carries are dead set coach killers. I also know he hasn't got a particularly great reputation on the training paddock. Whether the fans care about that or not is largely irrelevant to me, but it certainly doesn't add to the case for giving him a go when he's clearly still a work in progress. His post contact work was a vast improvement from his previous games. That's a good sign. The 200m he gained was good, but it also reflects the number of times he had the ball kicked to him. In his 19 runs there was no line breaks and only 1 tackle break. In all of that, I desperately want him to succeed. At this stage he is David Milne mkII.

Fourthly, we clearly have very similar opinions about a number of players and vastly different opinions about others. Keeps it interesting hey.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jack Wighton suspension has has Raiders confident of covering his State of Origin absence

It's the two-week cameo that has the Green Machine confident they can cover Jack Wighton's absence.

"We won both weeks when Jack wasn't there so it gave us massive confidence that when he's not here we can still win," Hudson Young said. "He's been one of our best players all year so Frawls has got a big job, but I think he's more than capable of doing so."

Canberra Raiders confident of victory despite ‘frustrating’ instability in halves: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/canbe ... ccf8c521e3

Trey Mooney's emotional Canberra Raiders moment finally arrives

Trey Mooney's father Deon has revealed the extra yards his son had gone to in order to realise his NRL dream. Although it took some convincing for Deon to get his son to play footy in the first place.

"I tried to bribe him when he was five years old to play rugby league. I used to say, 'Son if you just play the game I'll give you $20'. And one time he came to me when he was nine years old and he said to me, 'Dad, I'm ready to play. And guess what, you don't even have to pay me'."

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Great to see Mooney's jersey presentation by his parents. Hope he goes well and kills it this weekend. really looking forward to seeing him play.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:Great to see Mooney's jersey presentation by his parents. Hope he goes well and kills it this weekend. really looking forward to seeing him play.
His old man is a massive unit.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote:Great to see Mooney's jersey presentation by his parents. Hope he goes well and kills it this weekend. really looking forward to seeing him play.
Big man, sure it's not Pete Penaia in disguise?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

bonehead wrote: June 3, 2022, 5:57 am
gergreg wrote:
Big man, sure it's not Pete Penaia in disguise?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Ha, there's a name I hadn't heard for a while! Up there with the Raiders best signings over the years, along with Matt Rua, Jarryd Hayne's cousin, and Luke PAGE.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders focus on defence for Sydney Roosters clash

The Canberra Raiders' focus is on building a lime green wall to confront the Sydney Roosters at Canberra Stadium on Sunday as they look to stamp out their defensive lapses.

"Something we've really looked at and focusing on this week is defence," Whitehead said. "We probably started thinking about the next job [against the Eels] instead of doing the job we needed to do - like slowing the play-the-ball - at the time. It's something we've really looked at in video and worked on."

Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

gergreg wrote:
Dusty wrote:I am really looking forward to seeing Trey Mooney get his chance. I hope Ricky gives him 30 mins plus. He is a special talent

Is he one of yours?
No, I’ve just seen a fair bit of him in the junior ranks. I think he’ll make a good fist of it.

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

greeneyed wrote: June 3, 2022, 8:30 pm Canberra Raiders focus on defence for Sydney Roosters clash

The Canberra Raiders' focus is on building a lime green wall to confront the Sydney Roosters at Canberra Stadium on Sunday as they look to stamp out their defensive lapses.

"Something we've really looked at and focusing on this week is defence," Whitehead said. "We probably started thinking about the next job [against the Eels] instead of doing the job we needed to do - like slowing the play-the-ball - at the time. It's something we've really looked at in video and worked on."

Focus on defence eh? Has the coaching staff been looking the other way every time we get the ball in attack??
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We've got to get into the game and defend our 18-20 points and grind it out
When while the panthers with back up halves up 30 points and blew some chances to push it to 40+
Hillsraider
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Mark McLinden

Post by Hillsraider »

JWH possibly out with a hammy is another small boost for us

Though we'll be robbed of seeing the customary Hors sidewinder attack on him
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

When other teams score from kicks: "they're not counted, our defence was great"

When we only score tries from kicks: "our attack was great, we need to improve our defence"
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Get two wins in a row and bust our losing streak by being 20-0 up with good exciting footy. "Ok this is too risky. Back to serious defensive footy"

Would love to be wrong on Sunday, but some signs in the Parra game and now these comments are a little concerning. A grind fest may be awaiting
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 3, 2022, 11:25 pm Would love to be wrong on Sunday, but some signs in the Parra game and now these comments are a little concerning. A grind fest may be awaiting
I am still astounded and a little alarmed with how content it feels like everyone except me appears to be with the Parra game.

I thought our attack was predictably pedestrian and our tries were genuinely opportunistic and lucky.

And then on top of that Parras attack werent exactly having problems picking holes in our line at will.

Sounds like being vaguely competitive in a one off game against a vaguely top side is good enough for a lot of people.
Up The Milk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Rickmando wrote: June 3, 2022, 9:50 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 3, 2022, 8:30 pm Canberra Raiders focus on defence for Sydney Roosters clash

Focus on defence eh? Has the coaching staff been looking the other way every time we get the ball in attack??
I'm not sure he captain publicly announcing a plan to deliberately slow the play the ball in the media is a great move.

Sure talk about defence, you can even talk about "control around the ruck"- but he said the thinking only part out loud :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

When we don't have the football this is exactly where the focus should be. Getting each defensive play right will pay dividends in not giving away field position and/or points. Love it.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 3, 2022, 11:25 pm Get two wins in a row and bust our losing streak by being 20-0 up with good exciting footy. "Ok this is too risky. Back to serious defensive footy"

Would love to be wrong on Sunday, but some signs in the Parra game and now these comments are a little concerning. A grind fest may be awaiting
Yep. The free ball movement, offloading and supporting the ball carrier with multiple options either side that worked well vs the latter teams we completely lose the balls to play vs the good teams.

It's surely got to be an instruction to "play semi final footy" vs them.

Gee it was frustrating the other week when we took the 2 and put the cue in the rack for the last 35 mins of the game.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

I don't think our attack or attacking intent was any different/worse against the eels than in previous games, or in the last 35mins vs first 45mins. We didn't break them down in the first half either, our tries were a bit lucky. They 'controlled the ruck', and over the course of the game the luck evened out and they won.

Remember too, after we took the two early in the second half - we quickly won a penalty and were back on the attack down their end. We couldn't score (does this vindicate the decision?). I was more confused that we didn't take the 2 with 6 to go. We were obviously having trouble breaking them down all day.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

VIDEO; Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart speaks ahead of the Round 13 clash against the Roosters at Canberra Stadium: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2022/06 ... s-preview/
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

CHN ruled out due to covid protocols. Schiller named on the bench.

Source the.. *checks notes* Canberra Raiders.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine