2022 State of Origin I: Blues V Maroons

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2022 State of Origin I: Blues V Maroons

Post by The Nickman »

He's right you know.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

dubby wrote: June 9, 2022, 5:51 pm
President Clinton wrote: June 9, 2022, 10:44 am Freddie showed his loyalty for the wrong players.

No idea how Sims was a starter. And Addo-Carr non-selection was a bad one.
Yeah I was confused by Freddies selections.

Tupou didn't do anything wrong, mind you. But JAC did not deserve to be dropped.

Hats off to QLD. They thoroughly outplayed NSW and deserved to win.
I think Tupou is a great player, especially at club level. I tend to think though that his body type makes him an easier target at SOO level as player can get under him and drive him back.

It didn't help NSW that Latrell, Tommy and Pap are all injured. That is some massive X-factor gone from the side and few of those faces have been instrumental over the past few series.

Hats off to QLD, they were coached and played well.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Bias Origin commentary (on both sides) has been a thing for channel 9 for as long as I can remember and to be honest, I don’t mind it.

The passion, particularly in todays “no punch, no heavy tackle” era, helps to provide additional entertainment.

Who can forget one of the legendary moments when Mark Coyne scored for QLD and Fatty Vautin’s first words are “OOHHH YEEAAAHHHH what about that one Sterlo!!”.

Classic piece of commentary to cap off the miracle try.

Where it gets a bit too much is in years gone by, during QLDs dominant era, Phil Gould would be saying things like “NSW are right on top here” - mate, they’re down by 10 points and QLD are in second gear!

But then a few years later Ben Hunt drops the ball denying QLD a last chance at winning the match and Phil Gould chimes in “knock on! Knock on!”. You can just hear the passion in his voice.

Sam Thaiday bursts through the NSW defence and is about to crash over, until Jarryd Hayne strips it… Wally Lewis “Go! GO!”

James Tedesco makes a line break, with Gould screaming “GO TEDDY!”, only to be dragged down metres short by Cooper Cronk. Blues scored a play later anyway, through Jennings, but I genuinely enjoy the bias passion. It adds to what Origin is all about.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

greeneyed wrote: June 9, 2022, 9:53 pm
papabear wrote: June 9, 2022, 9:21 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 9, 2022, 2:30 pm
papabear wrote: June 9, 2022, 11:40 am Qlders in commentary are poor imo.

When qld are winning - you don’t need to know what qld need to do to win, they are already winning..

Sideline / expert opinion should be about the adjustments the other side “losing” side needs to make… not just whom you are going for…

Wendell on triple m was a bit less bias on this front on mmm in making what commentary should be made…
As if the NSW commentators aren't exactly the same.
I have often heard nsw commentators share where they think the game is going wrong for qld or compliment quality qld play / players.

I don’t mind qld commentators if they commentate on both sides of the game, but what is the point of going to Lockyer when qld are winning easy and Lockyer telling us that qld just need to be patient and kick to the corners. It does nothing for the broadcast..
I understand. You watch from the perspective of a NSW supporter and don’t really see it from the perspective of the Maroons supporters. You want the former Queensland players on the commentary to tell us what NSW needs to do to beat Queensland, while the former NSW commentators are telling us what NSW needs to do to beat Queensland.

We’ve had years and years of Channel 9 stacking the commentary with NSW supporters and former players. Even when there was just one Queenslander on the broadcast, that wasn’t acceptable. There was unrelenting whinging and moaning from NSW. At one point, it was all NSW commentary.

It’s the old born to rule attitude from NSW. That’s one reason why Queensland is so passionate about beating NSW. And why NSW doesn’t understand Origin.
Ok this born to rule **** has got to end.

edited out - too personal - but i dont think those sort of comments are accurate or fair.

I agree that Phil Gould and other NSW commentators are bias.

Sterling imo has always expressed what he thought QLD or NSW could do better, he was good for an additional comment.

If QLD are losing, and lockyer wants to share what they need to improve that is fine, or joey johns wants to share what qld needs to improve that is fine.

From an entertainment perspective, you always wants the team on the bottom to come back make it more interesting... hence why if QLD is being beaten, the commentators should be expressing what they think the QLDers or refs need to do to make it more interesting ... same if NSW are being beaten what NSW or the refs need to do...

Simply put its a bad commentary product imo, if you have people who are too partisan. Phil Gould should 100% check himself he is the same when he is commentating penrith...

For example, do you see the value of NSW being up by 12 going to joey and joey sharing that NSW need to keep doing what they are doing and drive another nail in the coffin... no it doesnt do anything for the product, joey should be saying what QLD need to do..

So to repeat myself sir GE it is not that I think all commentators should be supporting NSW (far from it) its that all commentators should recognise origin is the show piece of rugby league and should be adding value to the commentary to bring in more fans to our game.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

And whenever Poochy is not on the screen the other commentators should be asking "Where's Poochy?"
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: June 10, 2022, 12:00 pm And whenever Poochy is not on the screen the other commentators should be asking "Where's Poochy?"
:lol: :lol:

FWIW, I want it on record that i **** hate EVERY god damn thing about channel 9, both sides of the commentary box are **** terrible. The play by play has been ordinary since Ray Warren's rubber band snapped a decade plus ago... its a miserable viewing experience that is saved only by the actual on field product
I had the same experience this time around that i have every time with Nine... i start watching the game with the volume on, and by half time, i had those **** idiots on mute

I have my quibbles with some of the Kayo teams, but even the worst of them is tolerable and better than what nine have to offer.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: June 10, 2022, 12:22 pm
The Nickman wrote: June 10, 2022, 12:00 pm And whenever Poochy is not on the screen the other commentators should be asking "Where's Poochy?"

FWIW, I want it on record that i **** hate EVERY god damn thing about channel 9, both sides of the commentary box are **** terrible. The play by play has been ordinary since Ray Warren's rubber band snapped a decade plus ago... its a miserable viewing experience that is saved only by the actual on field product
I had the same experience this time around that i have every time with Nine... i start watching the game with the volume on, and by half time, i had those **** idiots on mute

I have my quibbles with some of the Kayo teams, but even the worst of them is tolerable and better than what nine have to offer.
I agree with you about Channel 9 coverage 100%, I simply just don't watch it in the day and age of Kayo. The good thing for me about Origin is I never watch it at home, I'm always at the pub, so you don't hear those **** idiots anyway.

They'd drive me spare if I had to listen to them.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: June 10, 2022, 12:22 pm

I think this comment goes to a lot of my dissatisfaction.

Most raiders games covered by fox (and tbh I was the fox coverage of any league game I watch) are far far more informative and a better feel. Going to channel nine it is jarring.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

yeh raiders wrote: June 10, 2022, 11:12 am Bias Origin commentary (on both sides) has been a thing for channel 9 for as long as I can remember and to be honest, I don’t mind it.

The passion, particularly in todays “no punch, no heavy tackle” era, helps to provide additional entertainment.

Who can forget one of the legendary moments when Mark Coyne scored for QLD and Fatty Vautin’s first words are “OOHHH YEEAAAHHHH what about that one Sterlo!!”.

Where it gets a bit too much is in years gone by, during QLDs dominant era, Phil Gould would be saying things like “NSW are right on top here” - mate, they’re down by 10 points and QLD are in second gear!

But then a few years later Ben Hunt drops the ball denying QLD a last chance at winning the match and Phil Gould chimes in “knock on! Knock on!”. You can just hear the passion in his voice.

Sam Thaiday bursts through the NSW defence and is about to crash over, until Jarryd Hayne strips it… Wally Lewis “Go! GO!”

James Tedesco makes a line break, with Gould screaming “GO TEDDY!”, only to be dragged down metres short by Cooper Cronk. Blues scored a play later anyway, through Jennings, but I genuinely enjoy the bias passion. It adds to what Origin is all about.
When you are winning I get it..

When you are losing, it just makes the viewing experience unnecessarily painful instead of tense hoping for a comeback or a turn of events.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:He's right you know.
Is it only when NSW lose that they don't 'get' origin? When NSW puts 50 points on Qld, have they 'got it'?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

papabear wrote: June 10, 2022, 12:56 pm
yeh raiders wrote: June 10, 2022, 11:12 am Bias Origin commentary (on both sides) has been a thing for channel 9 for as long as I can remember and to be honest, I don’t mind it.

When you are winning I get it..

When you are losing, it just makes the viewing experience unnecessarily painful instead of tense hoping for a comeback or a turn of events.
I know what you’re saying, but it also adds fuel to the fire which is never a bad thing for Origin.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote: June 10, 2022, 1:02 pm
Is it only when NSW lose that they don't 'get' origin? When NSW puts 50 points on Qld, have they 'got it'?
About everything, dammit!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:
gergreg wrote: June 10, 2022, 1:02 pm
About everything, dammit!
Everything? The foot was on the line? Ref's hate us? The NRL hates us? Greg is the best poster on this site?

These are all GEs claims.
Shoving it in your face since 2017