Raiders reportedly interested in Jack Hetherington

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Zero tackle has linked us to go after Jack Hethrington.

Not sure where it's come from other than Knight's were talking to him and now they have signed Elliott.

Raiders identify surprise Elliott replacement target

The Canberra Raiders have reportedly been told by Adam Elliott that the forward won't be hanging around in the Nation's capital for 2023, and it has led the green machine straight onto the recruitment hunt, with Bulldogs forward Jack Hetherington high on the list.

It has been reported by Michael Carayannis on SEN Radio that that replacement will also be based at Canterbury in Jack Hetherington, with the Knights also said to be chasing the off-contract forward.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/raiders-iden ... et-118422/
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2022

Post by bonehead »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:Zero tackle has linked us to go after Jack Hethrington.

Not sure where it's come from other than Knight's were talking to him and now they have signed Elliott
Caryannis brought it up on SEN this morning

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Rumours that we might be after Hethrington to replace Elliot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
badonkadonk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: CHICKA!

Post by badonkadonk »

Dusty wrote: May 31, 2022, 3:06 pm Rumours that we might be after Hethrington to replace Elliot.

Sticky trying to recruit all of Mullin’s relatives?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders reportedly interested in Jack Hetherington

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders reportedly interested in Canterbury Bulldogs forward Jack Hetherington

The Raiders have reportedly set their sights on Bulldogs enforcer Jack Hetherington as a replacement for outgoing forward Adam Elliott. Michael Carayannis told SEN that the Raiders have met with Hetherington, who is also being chased by the Knights.

“Newcastle have signed Adam Elliott, and they met with Jack Hetherington, the Canterbury forward a couple of weeks ago who’s off-contract,” Carayannis said. “I think you’ll find the Raiders now may dip their toes into the Jack Hetherington discussion to bulk up their forward pack.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-20 ... 4b151bc386

AUDIO: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/05/31/ ... o-knights/
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

I’d rather just roll with Rushton, Mooney and Hola. Hetherington is a big of a loose unit. Can’t stay on the field.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Danaman137 wrote: May 31, 2022, 10:09 pm I’d rather just roll with Rushton, Mooney and Hola. Hetherington is a big of a loose unit. Can’t stay on the field.

Agreed. And it seems he's got a market brewing... all the more reason to back away. Put in our offer and if it cant get it done, cool. I doubt he's a needle moving player
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Not too fussed either way.

The fact we let Elliot slide suggests we are on the look any given season for moneyball type gets at low dollars- CHN, Elliot now Hethero. Sometimes these turn into worthwhile buys ala CHN; sometimes just value for a season ala Elliot so far or Dave Taylor gave some value. I guess Scott would be the stinker but we had other clubs paying most freight and wriggled out of it.

I don't think we're about to sign him on overs and if Rushton, Guler, Mooney etc see we are interested in some aggro then it might improve them too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: June 1, 2022, 12:13 am Not too fussed either way.

The fact we let Elliot slide suggests we are on the look any given season for moneyball type gets at low dollars- CHN, Elliot now Hethero. Sometimes these turn into worthwhile buys ala CHN; sometimes just value for a season ala Elliot so far or Dave Taylor gave some value. I guess Scott would be the stinker but we had other clubs paying most freight and wriggled out of it.

I don't think we're about to sign him on overs and if Rushton, Guler, Mooney etc see we are interested in some aggro then it might improve them too.
I guess every club has to try for the money ball signing. Tapine and Paulo on late arrival, short seasons. But I can’t recall a later good one.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Wouldn’t be surprised if Zero Tackle picked up the rumour here.

It’s Daniel Mortimer all over again.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

SEN has excellent content all day, Vossy and Brandy 6 till 9, Matt White till 11 most days but Cam Smith and Denan Kemp do Thursday, Matty John's, Joel and Fletch there's plenty of good stuff every day.
Wednesday Brandy has the day off and James Magnussen has been filling in is great.
1170am Sydney or their app is good.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Maybe learning a bit from Paps n Taps could be good for Hetherington.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I like Hetherungton. But not interested if he's not cheap.

This squad desperately needs backrowers. A genuine modern lock and a second rower. Not a prop.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

He spends too much time either suspended or injured. Doesn't ball play, doesn't play long minutes, thinks the only part of the game is to put a big hit on, don't think he makes many metres (averages under 100 per game), marginally better than Adam Elliott. Discipline and giving away penalties is a big issue.

But if we get him for unders (like $250,000) and play moneyball he would be a good substitute for someone like Guler.

We should really target edge forwards though and I don't see him as an edge.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

One Plodder for another lol
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

His stats are all trending up, the second half of last year they were very solid in a garbage side. He played pretty well on the edge as well, especially in round 1.

He doesn't seem as uncoachable as somone like Pangai Jr, so worth a punt imo.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Raiders666 wrote: June 1, 2022, 8:50 am One Plodder for another lol
Exactly.
The last thing we need is a plodder that can't plod because of suspensions...
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: June 1, 2022, 9:52 am
Raiders666 wrote: June 1, 2022, 8:50 am One Plodder for another lol
Exactly.
The last thing we need is a plodder that can't plod because of suspensions...
:lol:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: June 1, 2022, 12:25 am
BadnMean wrote: June 1, 2022, 12:13 am Not too fussed either way.

I guess every club has to try for the money ball signing. Tapine and Paulo on late arrival, short seasons. But I can’t recall a later good one.
2019 CNK did alright.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

"Moneyball" is a load of crap. You can sign a player at a bargain price but the minute they start playing well you'll be forced to upgrade them. It's not a tactic that works in the NRL, too much of the power belongs to the players (as it should).

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Raider Azz wrote: June 1, 2022, 11:12 am "Moneyball" is a load of crap. You can sign a player at a bargain price but the minute they start playing well you'll be forced to upgrade them. It's not a tactic that works in the NRL, too much of the power belongs to the players (as it should).

Yes but that is factored in by the clubs who do it well.

Bellamy does it consistently as they have recruitment ratings in place that they just trust. The fact that they've made that work time and time again is absolutely ridiculous. I mean he's just brought in Josh King for Dale Finucane and they haven't missed a beat.

They have a system and all that. But they obviously have a far more important system than their on field one in their appraisal of players and appraisal of potential output for money.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

They're also able to take guys that aren't halfbacks in the slightest and turn them into GF winners. Takes 4 or so years and an incredibly committed player but it's an amazing feat to pull it off twice.
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Crash Ball »

I think people are confusing plain old scouting with Moneyball. I doubt you could do real Moneyball in the NRL. It works in Baseball and Basketball because they are more heavily influenced by individual statistical performance.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Elliott leaving could explain why Mooney is getting a debut this week. I see Guler is still in the mix by being named on the extended bench.

Ricky would be looking to see whether he needs to go into the market for a replacement or if he's got someone that's already here.

Rushton is probably the ready and waiting replacement for Sutton, who is off to the Doggies (assuming he doesn't have misgivings and does and an about face before the deadline).
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yurithe1 wrote: June 1, 2022, 1:09 pm Elliott leaving could explain why Mooney is getting a debut this week. I see Guler is still in the mix by being named on the extended bench.

Ricky would be looking to see whether he needs to go into the market for a replacement or if he's got someone that's already here.

Rushton is probably the ready and waiting replacement for Sutton, who is off to the Doggies (assuming he doesn't have misgivings and does and an about face before the deadline).
It was good to hear Ricky on this in The Canberra Times story last night. Basically saying he needs to give all the young forwards as much first grade as possible, explained to Rushton that that was the rationale for not picking him this week. Harry reportedly understood. Given Elliott is going, I’d put him in
NSW Cup from here, release him if he wants a release. He’s not that good that he should be crowding out our young crop of forwards. Who have bigger upside.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raider Azz wrote: June 1, 2022, 11:12 am "Moneyball" is a load of crap. You can sign a player at a bargain price but the minute they start playing well you'll be forced to upgrade them. It's not a tactic that works in the NRL, too much of the power belongs to the players (as it should).

You're right about the end result.

But I do believe you need a couple of guys playing well above their pay grade to really crack top 4- and then of course success does make it a little bit easier to keep players on slightly less if you might win a comp/more players make origin. It helps around the margins.

In 2016 we had Cotric on a rookie wage playing like a top 5 winger and I don't think Rapana was on much either in 2016 and he had an all time great wingers year. Of those I'd say Rapana was a moneyball signing, Cotric more just a junior who came good- but the point about value still stands I think.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Yes on Hetherington. .
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Like you know. Whatever.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders ramp up interest in fiery Canterbury Bulldog Jack Hetherington

Having missed out on re-signing Adam Elliott, the Canberra Raiders will now up their attempts to land another former Canterbury Bulldog in Jack Hetherington.

"We're always looking for quality players. He's a quality player and if Canterbury can't keep him we'll definitely be interested," Raiders chief executive Don Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If we think this guy can play edge, i can get it... but i dont think we need more middle forwards, ive got a great deal of confidence in our middle forwards, even accounting for Sutton and the 1.4million dollar man's departure.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Botman wrote: June 1, 2022, 8:59 pm If we think this guy can play edge, i can get it... but i dont think we need more middle forwards, ive got a great deal of confidence in our middle forwards, even accounting for Sutton and the 1.4million dollar man's departure.
Who’s the $1.4 million man?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

sprintman wrote: June 1, 2022, 10:35 pm
Botman wrote: June 1, 2022, 8:59 pm If we think this guy can play edge, i can get it... but i dont think we need more middle forwards, ive got a great deal of confidence in our middle forwards, even accounting for Sutton and the 1.4million dollar man's departure.
Adam Elliott.
His deal at the knights is a...hehe... reported 1.4m over 3 years
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Botman wrote: June 1, 2022, 10:38 pm
sprintman wrote: June 1, 2022, 10:35 pm
Adam Elliott.
His deal at the knights is a...hehe... reported 1.4m over 3 years
I thought it was $550k/year. Anyway it’s still too much but unlike most here I thought he did a good job on and off the field.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

There's a lot of people here showing a lot of faith in our middle forward depth, despite the clear evidence of the team struggling when Papa and Taps are both off the field.

Take Sutton out of the picture and it doesn't get much better for us. Hors is starting to look good with some genuine fitness. Young can do a job at lock, but has pretty much been our most consistent second rower (despite the fact he apparently can't run a second rowers line).

Hetherington would definitely give us a few options across the pack. Certainly a better gamble than Elliott was IMO.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Young has made some positive progress this year. Definitely a better second rower now than previous. None of that flair you look for in a second rower when signing them was already there. He's worked on it.