2022 State of Origin II: Blues V Maroons

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Blues 13+
25%
Blues 1-12
25%
Maroons 1-12
50%
Maroons 13+
No votes

Total votes: 4

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: 2022 State of Origin II: Blues V Maroons

Post by Wiki Special »

Crichton is clearly an inferior player to Burton and Wighton at Origin level. Let's hope Freddy and his selectors go back to their Game 1 rubbish so Crichton holds his spot. As a QLD'er I'd love that.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

NSW win womens under 19s, mens under 19s, womens origin and Origin 2 in the same weekend.

Very dominant.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Paulo was much improved tonight. Was given better instructions and executed it well.

The sin binning really turned the game, QLD never recovered. The score line flattering NSW in the end
Greenev
Ken Nagas

Post by Greenev »

Probably papas last origin if Billy is the coach
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Some very soft QLD defense this game. Lacking spirit and heart.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Bay53 wrote: June 26, 2022, 10:26 pm NSW win womens under 19s, mens under 19s, womens origin and Origin 2 in the same weekend.

Very dominant.
Pretty impressive for a state that just “doesn’t get” origin
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Liam Martin tragically lost his older brother eight years ago - here's how he played a crucial role in making the NSW Blues enforcer the most hated man in Queensland

Liam Martin has been branded a 'massive grub' after footage of his no-holds-barred play in game one of this year's Origin series enraged Queensland fans - and now he has revealed how tough play was drilled into him by his brother Jarred. Martin's family was shattered when his older sibling took his own life in 2014, aged just 22. But before then the talented former Canberra Raiders under-20s player taught the Panthers forward some harsh lessons about what it takes to make it in top-flight footy.

'I loved it ... when he'd come home from Canberra he'd show me all the new wrestling techniques he was learning down there.

Read more: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nrl/a ... sland.html
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Billy Walker wrote: June 26, 2022, 10:08 pm
Botman wrote: June 26, 2022, 10:05 pm
Dr Greenthumb wrote: June 26, 2022, 10:00 pm Slater really doesn’t like Papalli does he?
I dont think that is right
I think he misuses him. He wants him to be a short term high impact player
Big runs, huge hits. Set a tone and let others take it over. He is asking him to lead the defensive line, give it his all and check out and let the rest take care of itself

It's a rare critic of slater, but thats not Papa. He's a workhorse who just grinds you into the dust. Papa will burn out quickly if you ask. But IMO, slater is miscasting him.
Papa put a couple of good early shots on including bending Haas in two. He had a couple of solid carries without anything exceptional. There were any points in the game where I felt he’d come on and turn the game. The game is pretty quick these days.
I assume you meant to type "weren't". And if so, I'd just say it's pretty hard to be off the field for 55 minutes and then come back and change a flogging. If I misinterpreted you, sorry.

I agree totally with Botman here. Lindsay Collins gets what looks like 55 minutes and Papa gets 25 at most? That's just stupid.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

That’s all we have for tonight. Thanks for following!
The Greenhouse score update service
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Lui_Bon wrote: June 26, 2022, 11:21 pm
Billy Walker wrote: June 26, 2022, 10:08 pm
Botman wrote: June 26, 2022, 10:05 pm
Dr Greenthumb wrote: June 26, 2022, 10:00 pm Slater really doesn’t like Papalli does he?
I dont think that is right
I think he misuses him. He wants him to be a short term high impact player
Big runs, huge hits. Set a tone and let others take it over. He is asking him to lead the defensive line, give it his all and check out and let the rest take care of itself

It's a rare critic of slater, but thats not Papa. He's a workhorse who just grinds you into the dust. Papa will burn out quickly if you ask. But IMO, slater is miscasting him.
Papa put a couple of good early shots on including bending Haas in two. He had a couple of solid carries without anything exceptional. There were any points in the game where I felt he’d come on and turn the game. The game is pretty quick these days.
I assume you meant to type "weren't". And if so, I'd just say it's pretty hard to be off the field for 55 minutes and then come back and change a flogging. If I misinterpreted you, sorry.

I agree totally with Botman here. Lindsay Collins gets what looks like 55 minutes and Papa gets 25 at most? That's just stupid.
I’d say the best props in the game were on display yesterday
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I think the pretty obvious solution re; the centres and that's

6 Burton
4 Wighton
3 Mitchell

Luai is riding the Penrith train. Burton is better I'm every aspect. Luai scored a try once they were running riot but he was pants when the game was tight, same in game 1. The knock on, the 5 metre bomb with all the time in the world. Then once he got out of Burton's way in the second half everything swung.

7 Cleary
6 Burton

Is the very obvious future and I'd make it happen now.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Women's State of Origin: ACT government makes case to keep showpiece after record crowd

Canberra rugby league fans helped the ACT government make a compelling case to the NRL for Women's State of Origin to return to the capital next year after Friday's thrilling showdown.

ACT Minister for Sport and Recreation Yvette Berry said it was a glowing endorsement of the rugby league passion in Canberra, particularly for the women's game, and hinted it was unlikely to be the last major fixture of its kind here.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

julian87 wrote: June 27, 2022, 7:32 am I think the pretty obvious solution re; the centres and that's

6 Burton
4 Wighton
3 Mitchell

Luai is riding the Penrith train. Burton is better I'm every aspect. Luai scored a try once they were running riot but he was pants when the game was tight, same in game 1. The knock on, the 5 metre bomb with all the time in the world. Then once he got out of Burton's way in the second half everything swung.

7 Cleary
6 Burton

Fittler won’t do it, but couldn’t agree more. Burton’s long kicking alone is enough to justify his position. Luai (and even to some extent, Cleary) get frantic when on the back foot and struggle to switch momentum, Burton can turn the game with a single long kick out of trouble.

A few thoughts:

* We have mentioned it before RE: CNK and his yips, kick refusal is absolutely crucial these days. NSW targeted the QLD Wingers and they both coughed up the ball and crucial times, one in particular just after the Kaufusi sin bin which led to the Tupou try.
* Speaking of the sin bin, it had to be one of the more blatant ones I have seen. Off the back of a few six again calls, to be called by the ref 3 times and just lay back down. Sin bin every day of the week, and a stupid one. Kaufusi should be blamed, not Klein.
* Slater’s solution to losing Cotter seemed to be to play Hunt and Grant in the middle for extended periods, which was odd to say the least. They struggled to deal with Paulo and others through the middle. Paulo and even Trbojevic were enjoying quick play the balls targeting Queensland’s smaller middle.
* It pains me to say it because I find them so unlikable, but Penrith have to be one of the most dominant club teams in recent times. Have lost a handful of games in 3 seasons (excluding games during the Origin period), and now form the bulk of the NSW side. When he is on the front foot, Cleary is an amazing playmaker, has all the qualities necessary.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

It should probably remain as is with Burton kicking from centre. But him and Cleary are definitely the long term halves pairing. Probably just Wighton in for Crichton with Latrell missing out due to no game time. Gee Burton is a great player.

I'd knock back the player option if I was him too. He'll get a 1 million plus contract for sure.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

yeh raiders wrote: June 26, 2022, 10:03 pm
Quite odd isn’t it. Why bother picking him?

If he was a Blue, he’d get double the minutes.
Even more odd because Tino was playing like he was half asleep and Carrigan wasn’t as effective as usual.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

This series does have a whiff of 2020 about it. Qld played above themselves in game one and got the big upset, NSW dominated game 2 and you expect that normal service has resumed. But then inexplicably Qld win game three.

Potentially the same thing here. By rights, NSW should win game three comfortably but I expect Qld will find something. The gap in 2022 is not as big as it was in 2020.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Dr Greenthumb wrote: June 27, 2022, 8:57 am

Even more odd because Tino was playing like he was half asleep and Carrigan wasn’t as effective as usual.
I still thought Carrigan was pretty good. Munster and Carrigan Qld’s best players by a fair way for mine.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Wiki Special wrote: June 26, 2022, 10:20 pm Crichton is clearly an inferior player to Burton and Wighton at Origin level. Let's hope Freddy and his selectors go back to their Game 1 rubbish so Crichton holds his spot. As a QLD'er I'd love that.
No way they are playing Wighton right centre and no way they are taking Burton away from left centre.

If they drop S Crichton, which I reckon would be a bit harsh, they will play Staggs.

Jacko’s only hope is to be on the bench.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Bay53 wrote: June 27, 2022, 11:01 am
Wiki Special wrote: June 26, 2022, 10:20 pm Crichton is clearly an inferior player to Burton and Wighton at Origin level. Let's hope Freddy and his selectors go back to their Game 1 rubbish so Crichton holds his spot. As a QLD'er I'd love that.
No way they are playing Wighton right centre and no way they are taking Burton away from left centre.

If they drop S Crichton, which I reckon would be a bit harsh, they will play Staggs.

Very harsh call on Wighton who was NSW best player by a mile in game 1. Expect that's how it will roll though.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Bay53 wrote: June 27, 2022, 10:57 am This series does have a whiff of 2020 about it. Qld played above themselves in game one and got the big upset, NSW dominated game 2 and you expect that normal service has resumed. But then inexplicably Qld win game three.

Potentially the same thing here. By rights, NSW should win game three comfortably but I expect Qld will find something. The gap in 2022 is not as big as it was in 2020.
Injuries are the equalizer. Be great to see a fully fit squad next year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Not a lot to unpack from that game. First half carried over from Game 1 and we saw a fantastic contest. 2nd half NSW maintained the high level while QLD dropped off dramatically. Too many drop balls and miss tackles. Back end of the half it really felt like QLD had washed the game and were already waiting for Game 3. The biggest test for that game is not whether QLD can bounce back. It will be whether NSW can keep up this level and avoid the ambush that is no doubt coming.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I reckon Wighton will come straight in for Crichton.
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

Bay53 wrote: June 27, 2022, 10:58 am
Dr Greenthumb wrote: June 27, 2022, 8:57 am

I still thought Carrigan was pretty good. Munster and Carrigan Qld’s best players by a fair way for mine.
Yeah he was certainly good, but he could have used some help. I was really disappointed with Tino. He let Cleary waltz through and then no awareness when the ball was stripped from him. He didn’t have the excuse of playing big minutes either. He dead set gave up.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:Not a lot to unpack from that game. First half carried over from Game 1 and we saw a fantastic contest. 2nd half NSW maintained the high level while QLD dropped off dramatically. Too many drop balls and miss tackles. Back end of the half it really felt like QLD had washed the game and were already waiting for Game 3. The biggest test for that game is not whether QLD can bounce back. It will be whether NSW can keep up this level and avoid the ambush that is no doubt coming.
Agreed. Just after half time Qld seemed to wind back the intensity a little. It goes without saying that game 3 will be a much tougher contest.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Bay53 wrote: June 26, 2022, 10:26 pm NSW win womens under 19s, mens under 19s, womens origin and Origin 2 in the same weekend.

Very dominant.
QLD just dont get origin.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Surprising that Nathan Cleary escaped any charge for the tackle on Ponga: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/13/jud ... t-charges/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: June 27, 2022, 11:49 am Not a lot to unpack from that game. First half carried over from Game 1 and we saw a fantastic contest. 2nd half NSW maintained the high level while QLD dropped off dramatically. Too many drop balls and miss tackles. Back end of the half it really felt like QLD had washed the game and were already waiting for Game 3. The biggest test for that game is not whether QLD can bounce back. It will be whether NSW can keep up this level and avoid the ambush that is no doubt coming.
I think the sin bin decision had a big impact, just took a lot of gas out of the Maroons. And once the momentum was there, it was very hard to stop and it compounded. You could say the sin bin was justified on the basis of the repeat offences... but I'm not at all sure the set restart calls were justified, or consistently applied. The criticism from Fittler had the desired effect. Interesting to see Slater go out of his way to refuse to fault the referee, and that's a good call, a good message to give to the team. He's certainly has done sports psychology 101 and probably sports psychology 310.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: June 27, 2022, 11:49 am Not a lot to unpack from that game. First half carried over from Game 1 and we saw a fantastic contest. 2nd half NSW maintained the high level while QLD dropped off dramatically. Too many drop balls and miss tackles. Back end of the half it really felt like QLD had washed the game and were already waiting for Game 3. The biggest test for that game is not whether QLD can bounce back. It will be whether NSW can keep up this level and avoid the ambush that is no doubt coming.
I think the sin bin decision had a big impact, just took a lot of gas out of the Maroons. And once the momentum was there, it was very hard to stop and it compounded. You could say the sin bin was justified on the basis of the repeat offences... but I'm not at all sure the set restart calls were justified, or consistently applied. The criticism from Fittler had the desired effect. Interesting to see Slater go out of his way to refuse to fault the referee, and that's a good call, a good message to give to the team. He's certainly has done sports psychology 101 and probably sports psychology 310.
Queensland will probably just complain behind closed doors. Every single game in origin history - the losing team will submit a dossier of what they consider contentious decisions to the referees boss. They all/always do it. Coaches of NRL teams also do it leading into the finals.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: June 27, 2022, 2:40 pm
Sin bin was unquestionably the turning point. However I feel it was more a fork in the road rather than an influence on the outcome. QLD only down by 2 points at half time and weathered the storm immediately after while down to 12. It was what happened from that point on that determined the outcome. That was when QLD (literally and metaphorically) dropped the ball.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

greeneyed wrote: June 27, 2022, 2:40 pm
Forget the repeated infringements. Go and watch it again. Even on its own, its cause for a sin bin. Kaufusi looks like he short circuited - what was he thinking?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Repeated infringements, deliberate penalties and constantly jumping the gun … the only disgrace would’ve been to allow that to continue to go on. Sin binning was warranted and necessary.

Kaufusi and the rest of them are coached to take advantage of soft refereeing and thankfully Ashley Klein wasn’t having a bar of it.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

zim wrote: June 27, 2022, 11:42 am
Bay53 wrote: June 27, 2022, 10:57 am This series does have a whiff of 2020 about it. Qld played above themselves in game one and got the big upset, NSW dominated game 2 and you expect that normal service has resumed. But then inexplicably Qld win game three.

Injuries are the equalizer. Be great to see a fully fit squad next year.
It's a good point Bay53, but NSW now have the history of what happened in 2020 to draw on and use in the preparation for Game 3 of 2022. It is always tough to win at Lang Park. The Queenslanders lift there and the crowd will be right behind the Maroons. When we think of last years stars being Mitchell and Turbo and both injured so not selected, along with others like Papenhuyzen and the Fox not being picked, each player selected in the NSW backline knows they have a golden opportunity to create history. As a Blues fan, here's hoping they take that opportunity.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Crichton hasn't done anything in either game that would make his dropping a bit harsh.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

julian87 wrote: June 27, 2022, 7:32 am I think the pretty obvious solution re; the centres and that's

6 Burton
4 Wighton
3 Mitchell

7 Cleary
6 Burton

This not happening is why NSW lost imo.

The only time NSW were great all series was when Luai became invisible for Burton to take over the kicking at 6. The worst thing that happened was Luai scoring that downhill ski try in game 2.

Well done to Qld on the series
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote: July 14, 2022, 6:42 am

6 Burton
4 Wighton
3 Mitchell

7 Cleary
6 Burton

This not happening is why NSW lost imo.

The only time NSW were great all series was when Luai became invisible for Burton to take over the kicking at 6. The worst thing that happened was Luai scoring that downhill ski try in game 2.

Well done to Qld on the series
I've got bad news for you Jules, NSW loses that game either way